Thread: Jets Get Woody

Default Jets Get Woody

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3275142

Woody gives Jets four former first-round draft picks on O-line

By Michael Smith
    ESPN.com
    Having already solidified the left side of their offensive line with the addition of former Steelers standout guard Alan Faneca, the New York Jets have now bolstered their right side, agreeing to terms with former Patriots and Lions lineman Damien Woody to play right tackle, according to sources.

The Jets have spared no expense in improving their offensive line in the first week of free agency. Faneca signed a five-year, $40 million deal that included more than $21 million in guarantees, making him the league's highest paid offensive lineman. Now the Jets have given Woody $25.5 million over 5 years with $11 million guaranteed.
    Faneca and Woody, along with left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold, give the Jets four former first round picks along their offensive line.

Woody spent the first five years of his career as a center/guard with the Patriots, so joining the Jets means a reunion with head coach Eric Mangini.

In 2004, Woody signed a six-year, $31 million deal with the Lions, then the largest ever for an interior lineman. Toward the end of a disappointing four-year stint in Detroit, Woody moved out to right tackle and was impressive enough in five starts to earn an even more lucrative contract from the Jets.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Default Re: Jets Get Woody

They also signed Calvin Pace...but they grossly overpaid him. Still, the Jets should be pretty good next year.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When I saw btown started this thread, I expected something else.

They say if it lasts more than 12 hours, you should consult your physician. But I say, the more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I saw btown started this thread, I expected something else.
    You are correct sir.

I had the same exact thoughts.....A serious post from Btown??? NO! Can't happen, and then, I open the thread.....And there it is to my shock.

Surely, the only reason for this post is the title. Anyone care about information on a big Woody signing? I think not.

I thought people would have a genuine interest in the Jets augmenting their traditionally soft line.

I was interested to know the Jets really stiffened up their front.