Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Year-End Stuff from Rick Carlisle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Year-End Stuff from Rick Carlisle

If Rick isn't practically screaming "something will happen", I don't know what else he's saying. Don't know when, but someone will be gone, and I don't mean Kenny or Brewer

Comment

Harrington...he even says something among the lines of "we will get him to where he can be a starter if thats what he wants" or something...I forget .

Comment

Al is gone, unless we completely screw up. He's the most obvious "odd-man-out." Look for a trade involving him for a SG, with other stuff possibly added to make the trade work out. I wish him the best.

Reggie is 50/50. Rick says he'll start if he stays, but it should be a ceremonial start at best. Another SG needs to come in and get 30-35 minutes per game, with Reggie getting backup minutes, starting or no. Personally I think he needs to retire, but I can live with him staying if he comes off the bench or keeps his minutes down to 20 per game at most.

J.O. is obviously staying.

Ron is staying. He's too valuable for the $$. No way we'd get anything remotely as valuable for him for that salary.

Tinsley is probably staying, but IMO AJ is probably gone (and Kenny for sure), with Brewer as backup or someone else acquired in a trade. I COULD see Tins getting traded if we got a Steve Francis/Steve Nash but I think that's highly unlikely (and would be a mistake).

Cro is probably staying becuase of his nasty contract, unless we bribe Charlotte into taking him (again, very unlikely, they can't afford him).

Pollard will be gone at the earliest opportunity - whether or not he has a future in this league it certainly won't be with this team. I see him getting packaged with AL for a SG (or maybe traded for a backup PG if AJ/Kenny leave).

I'd like Freddie to stay, but who knows. If Reg doesn't retire and we acquire a starting-caliber SG he will be redundant and needs to be traded. If he goes, oh well (even though I have a fish named after him), if he stays, that's OK with me too. I like him but he's not a "core" member ofthe team yet.

I love Jeff Foster, but who knows. He probably stays just because it's so hard to find a good center. Also his work ethic is obvious, he fits well with the team to an extent, but dammit it'd be nice if he could score even 10 ppg - would help J.O. quite a bit. Might be nice to get a BRAD MILLER - type center ed: ...

Who am I forgetting... ah yes Bender. He's the big question mark. If Al goes then Bender gets the backup 3 minutes, with a bit of Cro for good measure (tho Cro probably will back up Jermaine at the 4). Otherwise we still have too many forwards. He probably stays since Al is on the way out, so who knows.

NEW PLAYERS:

-A starting-caliber 2 guard or combo guard. A Rip-Hamilton or Reggie-of-old-type player.
        -Possibly a new backup PG.

MAYBE (but not likely) a scoring-oriented center, a la Erick Dampier/Brad Miller/Z. Ilgauskus(sp?). I don't see us having enough pieces to pull it off tho, since SG is obviously the more pressing need.

And that's about it really. We're set at the 3 and 4, and 1. 5 might be OK if we get a good SG, then Foster won't have to score.

Should be an interesting summer to say the least

Comment

I think AL is gone if they get a trade they like.

Is AL really needed, with Bender, Croshere, Foster and Artest. And if you can get a really good guard, no not Brent Barry, AL is the logical guy to trade.

I'll be sad to see AL go, he has been one of my favorites since we drafted him

Comment

And if you can get a really good guard, no not Brent Barry,
            I agree...a lot of people here seem to want Brent Barry but I really don't think that'd be wise. He's getting old too people...

Comment

Here is the whole text.

A lot of interesting stuff. Surprised he talked up Brewer as much as he did. Bender on the summer league team. Reggie starting next season

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/yeare...le_040603.html

Carlisle: Offseason Represents
              Opportunity for Improvement

June 3, 2004
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Q. What was your message to the team in the year-end meeting?

A. We’re halfway to where we need to be. To win a title and to get a ring, you’ve got to win four series; we won two. We were in some ways tantalizingly close in the third series but just couldn’t overcome certain elements. The other message was all of us learned a lot during the playoffs, particularly during the Detroit series, about things we need to do better, both as a team and individually. That’s why this is going to be a very important summer for us. Guys are going to need to continue to develop their games and their skills and the franchise is going to have some decisions to make on personnel and possible trades and the draft and other things. The one thing that I really take as a positive from my experience with this team is, when it was over two nights ago, there was nobody in that locker room that was just happy to get to the conference finals. They’re a competitive group and clearly their eyes are on a bigger prize and that’s a great sign for our team and our franchise.

Q. What do the individual players need to work on?

A. A guy like Jonathan Bender that needs to have a great summer in terms of continuing to develop his body and his game and understanding what our system is about. Jermaine needs to get healthy and he’s had a year to see what playing in this style is about. You can go right down the line. Everybody is going to take things away from this and be able to work on ways to get better or work on ways to help us play our system better. In terms of the staff, we learned a lot about our team, and there will be some things we do a little differently next year because we have better knowledge.

Q. Can you say what those things are?

A. How we approach the game offensively. Defensively, I think we’ll be similar. But knowing now what certain guys are capable of, I think from the beginning of training camp, being able to have that type of knowledge helps us develop our style at the offensive end a little more productively.

Q. How will you change the offense?

A. We will do some things a little differently and some of it will depend on personnel, how our team looks. Right now, I don’t think this team will be back in its exact form next year. I think there will be some changes, either through free agency, the draft or the possibility of trades. There’s going to be some things that are different, without question.

Q. Al Harrington obviously wants to start, but has been unable to do so here. How do you see his future evolving?

A. This has been a tough situation for Al, because I view him as a starter in this league. I know he’s that kind of player. As the summer progresses, we’ll see what takes form. If there was the opportunity for him to be a starter here, that would be great. And if there isn’t, then it may be time for him to move on to another team. But those are decisions that are going to be made by Larry (Bird) and Donnie (Walsh). Whatever happens, Al has had a great year for us. In my mind, he should’ve been the Sixth Man award winner. He had that kind of impact and we had the best record. He had a tremendous year and was one of the major reasons were in a strong position throughout the year and into the playoffs.

Q. Do you feel changes need to be made for this team to reach the championship level?

A. Because our team is still so young, I think it’s very possible that we could just continue to develop moving forward, not make many changes, and that we would be in a strong position next year to be better. But this summer is going to be a busy summer. I expect that there will be some changes and the roster will be different next year. How much I don’t know. That’s going to depend on conversations that Larry and Donnie have and what makes sense for our team. I expect there will be some things that are different.

Q. Is the franchise taking a win-now stance, as it applies to potential offseason changes, or is it still building for the future?

A. That question can only be answered in the context of which players you’re talking about. I really believe the approach Larry and Donnie take will be to continue to try to acquire young talent. Maybe not early 20s-type guys, but we still want to get guys that are entering their prime or maybe in the midst of their prime. If there’s an opportunity to make a move on a guy that’s an older player that would be a championship move, Larry and Donnie would have to make that decision. That’s a tough question for me to answer because I don’t make those decisions. Time will tell.

Q. What's your shopping list of team needs?

A. Outside shooting is something you always need as a playoff team. Size is something you need as a playoff team. Part of the equation for us is the fact this has been kind of an unbalanced roster. There’s been kind of a glut of guys at the small forward spot and there really haven’t been enough minutes. The fact Jonathan was injured early in the year alleviated some of those issues but this summer may well be an opportunity to balance out the roster in terms of positions. But, again, those aren’t going to be my decisions. A lot’s going to depend on what’s out there in terms of guys that are going to be available in trades, and other things.

Q. What do you foresee as Reggie Miller's role next season?

A. First of all, Reggie’s got to decide if he’s going to play. After he makes that decision, then I can talk about it a little bit. Right now, as we are here, if he returns for an 18th year my feeling would be he’d probably be a starter next year. But a lot would have to happen between now and then before it would make sense to get into a serious conversation about that.

Q. Has he given you any indication he is considering retirement?

A. No, he hasn’t. But, at the same time, it’s a huge decision. It’s a decision that’s going to get a lot of attention in the league because you’re talking really about one of the all-time greats when it comes down to what he’s done in this league. It’s a major topic, and I’m not going to sit here and make an assumption without having him say it himself. That isn’t right. If we’re fortunate enough to have him around here another year, that’s going to be a great asset to us again. But that’s a decision that is an important one for him because at this point in time, when you get to be that age, there are a lot of things to consider. But I’m hopeful that he’ll play – very much so.

Q. Will Bender become a more prominent fixture in the rotation next season?

A. Without question, this summer is a really important summer for him, that we spend the time with him to help develop his game to play effectively in our system. He made great strides this year in that vein. He had some stretches where his play was nothing less than breathtaking. But with the occasional injury sprinkled in, it made it hard for him to build a level of consistency. This summer is really key for him because he’s a guy that can do things really no one else on our roster can do. At 7 feet tall he shoots threes, he can post up, he drives the ball, he can block shots. He and Jermaine (O'Neal) are really the two guys, from that size and ability standpoint, can do things very few guys on this planet can do. It’s important we get him ready to have a complete training camp next year and identify where he’ll be playing. I think he needs to play two positions, probably small forward and a finesse, or shooting, power forward.

Q. O'Neal has said it could take up to 6 months for his knee injury to heal, and that he isn't likely to play in the Olympics. What's your understanding of his health status?

A. Bone bruises take a long time to heal so that you can’t see them on the MRI. We had a situation in Detroit where Chucky Atkins had a very similar type of bone bruise. There’s a period after which you can play but the bruise itself isn’t necessarily healed. This is a case where Jermaine is making a wise decision to not play in the Olympics. He needs this summer to get it healed, to get his body back in one piece. Is it a serious injury? I don’t think it’s characterized as serious but it’s one that, if it’s not taken care of, can persist for a while and perpetuate. You just don’t want that to happen.

Q. How aggressively will you approach this summer in terms of offseason programs for the players?

A. We told the guys we’re going to be very aggressive this summer. We’re going to do a lot of traveling to see guys if they’re in other venues. There’ll be the opportunity for guys to be here and work out. The summer league is going to be important for certain of our young veteran players. And we’re going to be very pro-active with really attacking this summer, looking toward the beginning of next October, to get ourselves as ready as we possibly can for that moment. That’s where our next opportunity begins.

Q. It sounds like this could be a momentous summer for the franchise. Is that what you anticipate?

A. I guess the key word is opportunity. This summer is going to be a great opportunity for this franchise, not only to have options in trades, free agency and the draft – or a combination of some or all of those components – but also for us as a staff to really develop the guys that we have and get them ready to compete at an even higher level next year. The combination of those two things – the possibility of changes to the roster and our ability to spend time and work with guys this summer – we just feel is really key heading toward October. That’s why we’re going to be very aggressive and very pro-active.

Q. How does the expansion draft affect your offseason plans?

A. We could lose one player or we could lose zero. There’s 14 players being picked, I believe. The science of who to protect and all of that is something Larry and Donnie will examine. They’ll make the right decision and then we have to wait and see. We may be sitting back with our fingers crossed, hoping nobody gets taken. But it is another component to the summer. It happens before the NBA Draft, so those things are going to have to be examined and decisions are going to have to be made and they’re going to be tough decisions.

Q. Where will Bender spend his summer?

A. He’s going to be in New Orleans a lot of the time and I think he’s going to be here some of the time, too. He’s one of the guys we’ve encouraged to play on our summer league team, just to have a 10-day period with him. That’s a very important time. And we’ll have some other guys on that team, as well. Primoz (Brezec)’s situation is a little clouded because of the situation with his (Slovenian) national team, so we’re not sure if he’s going to be available or not. Jamison Brewer is a guy I’ve talked to about playing. We talked about it with Fred Jones but pending the situation with his shoulder. And James Jones would be the other one. We’re going to have our own team (this year) and we’re going to Utah and it’ll be an important time for us.

Q. There's been quite a bit of speculation that Associate Head Coach Mike Brown is in line to become a head coach elsewhere. Is this a major concern?

A. There’s a strong possibility that we could lose him. But that’s just a byproduct of having good people that coach at a high level. One of the reasons Gregg Popovich agreed to let Mike come here is that he knew he’d have a higher level of responsibility and he knew this would be an opportunity for Mike to become a head coach. I’m not worried about that. In fact, if the right situation comes up for Mike, it would be great for him to have that opportunity. Of course, we’d have to find somebody to replace him, which would be tough, but it’s part of the business and it’s a part I had to deal with when Kevin O’Neill got the job in Toronto. I really had to form a completely new staff, which was a challenge.

Q. Are there any untouchables on the roster?

A. That’s really for Donnie and Larry to say. I don’t think Jermaine O’Neal’s going to get traded. That’s my feeling. But that’s something you have to talk to them about.

Q. Considering the changes that were made last summer, do you think this team actually overachieved?

A. That question is one to be answered by our ownership and our management people. I don’t view it that way because I had strong belief in guys like (Jeff) Foster, in his ability to step in and play a key role. Fred Jones was a nice surprise and now looks like a very good draft choice two years ago, and looks like a guy who’s going to be a solid player in this league for a long time. I’m always reluctant to talk about that, because then it sounds like you didn’t expect to be good, and I knew we had a chance to be very good, if we committed to certain things – if we committed the defensive end, if we committed to sharing the ball, and if we committed to winning. And the team did that, so I guess I’m never surprised at what can happen when you have a group that commits to those things.

Q. Are you comfortable with Jamaal Tinsley as the starting point guard?

A. I really like Jamaal and I like how he approached the entire season. At this point in time, looking toward next year, it’s his job to lose. I think stating anything other than that would be inaccurate. He’s earned that distinction, pending what may or may not happen this summer. There could be a major trade and all of a sudden there could be some other guy. But right now he looks like the guy for next year.

Q. Why did Scot Pollard never become a prominent member of the rotation?

A. I’m surprised the way the season went, relative to Scot. I expected him to be a major part of the rotation. But on a nightly basis it came down to whether we were playing big teams or small teams. If we were playing big teams, he’d play. If we played small teams, Croshere played. Both of those guys were great about it. It was not an easy situation. Even though Pollard didn’t play much, he brought a lot to our team with a veteran presence. The guys just had a sense for the fact he’d been deep into the playoffs and was just a real positive force even though he didn’t play much. Those were all positive things. And at the same time, he’s a better player than was demonstrated this year, based on his minutes. He just is. I know that from seeing him every day in practice and knowing how he works and knowing how he played in Sacramento. It was a different kind of situation because Al really played four full-time, Foster emerged as a legitimate starter and Jermaine was going to be out there at least 36, 38 minutes every night. And we didn’t have major injuries, either, which could’ve tipped the scales to where he would’ve played a lot. And if he had, he would’ve played well.

Q. Was losing in the conference finals an experience the team needed to go through in order to take the step to championship contention?

A. Well, we certainly have to learn from the experience. There are a lot of new things you go through when you get to the conference finals for the first time. I know that from my experience last year with the Pistons. They were much better prepared this year for those types of pressures, those types of difficult situations, having been through it before. So it bodes well for our future on the one hand. Yet, on the other hand, it’s not a consolation. I felt we were in a strong position to win the series. ... You just never know what things happen along the way that facilitate you getting there quicker or that may make it tougher. Injuries, this year, played a part in the conference finals. How big a part would be a topic for a lively debate. But you’ve got to make the right moves and have good fortune to get through healthy and stay intact that way. This summer, for us, is going to be about putting ourselves in a strong position to do that – to get our bodies strong to be able to endure a 100-game season, to get the roster set up as well as it can possibly be to compete at a high level not only in the regular season but deep into the playoffs. The work started yesterday, the day after the Detroit series was over, and it’ll be a busy summer.

Q. Kenny Anderson has said he'll likely be elsewhere next year. Does that create a need for another veteran backup at point guard?

A. After being with Jamison Brewer for a year, he’s a guy I’d love to see back here because of his competitiveness and the fact he’s a young guy that still has great upside. But there are other ways it could happen. It could happen through free agency and so forth. I know Tinsley’s going to be back. Anthony Johnson, I’m not sure of his contract situation but he’s indicated he likes it here and he was an important part of our season. I like Brewer but there are a lot of good players out there. My hope would be that we could have another very competitive point-guard situation, but then be able to go into the season with three instead of four. Four was a lot. There were times we needed all four of them, but that’s really too many.

Q. Is it possible this roster actually had too much depth and too many options?

A. The concept of having better balance to your roster and fewer options, in a perfect world, is the ideal way to have it. Where you can get in trouble is with injuries. This year, our roster was a little unbalanced but because of the injuries we were always OK. There was always somebody else ready. Bender was out early so Artest and Harrington handled the three spot. Ronnie went out with his thumb surgery and Bender happened to be ready to come back into it and became a real factor.

Comment

Working...
              X