Thread: Danny Granger: Headed to Phoenix

Default Danny Granger: Headed to Phoenix

http://pacers.realgm.com/articles/12...ed_to_phoenix/

Chris Bosh may have started his All-Star campaign a little late in Toronto, or was it Texas, earlier this season. So itís never too early to start tooting your own horn regarding your merits for a position on your conferenceís squad. Too bad Indianaís Danny Granger isnít one to boast.

Donít worry Pacer fans Ė Iím not talking about a cockamamie trade between the Pacers and Suns. Things have been pretty bad, and unpredictable, in Indiana over the last eighteen months. Dealing Granger anywhere would send the Hoosier faithful out to pasture, further driving down the already league-low attendance at Conseco Fieldhouse.

If you havenít figured it out already, Iím talking about Granger heading to Phoenix next February to represent the Eastern Conference in the annual NBA All-Star game.

In just his third professional season Granger is averaging 18.2 points and 5.8 rebounds for the Pacers, who have struggled through a majority of the 2007-08 campaign. He is the teamís leading scorer and has spent a good part of the year shouldering the teamís leading role with both Jermaine OíNeal and Jamaal Tinsley on the shelf.

He has improved dramatically in each of his three seasons, including an incredible jump in production this year despite averaging just one additional minute of playing time. He is posting career-highs across the board, including impressive success rates from the foul line and behind the arc.

Granger is shooting 85.9% from the charity stripe, including an incredible run of 65 straight makes, which bested the franchise record of a certain Reggie Miller. He is also hitting 40.1% of his attempts from behind the three-point land, an eight percent increase over his rookie mark.

In addition to his offensive improvement, Granger has upped his defensive efforts for Indiana as well, something the Pacers desperately need the rest of its roster to do. While playing one of the most important roles in Jim OíBrienís fast-paced offense, Danny is focusing a majority of his time on the other side of the ball.

ďIím trying to improve on the defensive end right now. We are struggling on defense this season and I think thatís something that you can always improve upon,Ē Granger, who averages a steal and a block per game, said in New York earlier this month.

Humility is another impressive part of Grangerís repertoire, who despite leading the Pacers in scoring and attempting to lock down versatile opponents on the wing every night, forgoes talking about himself in favor of the team almost every time he opens his mouth.

When asked whether or not he was comfortable leading Indianaís offense with OíNeal and Tinsley injured, Granger had this to say: ďOur offense doesnít really focus on one person, itís a movement offense and guys just have to take advantages of opportunities that come up. With Jermaine out, everyone has to pick up the slack.Ē

While he does properly categorize the teamís offense, Granger is attempting a team-high 13.9 shots per game, more than even OíNeal when he has been healthy enough to play. The numbers indicate that he is the teamís top option, even if he chooses to shyly shrug off the notion of being Indianaís biggest offensive threat.

Like an every player not named LeBron, Granger does have some holes in his game. ďI could improve my ball-handling,Ē he admitted. Danny is averaging just 1.9 assists and turns the ball over 2.2 times per game, petty tallies when you consider the type of offense Indiana runs. Both OíBrien and Granger would love to bump that assist average up, while holding the miscues to a minimum.

Becoming more efficient with the ball in his hands, aside from his already strong move towards the basket, would give him an honest shot at earning an all-star nod in 2009. Itís not a knock on Granger, but playing in the East dramatically increases his chances of earning such an appearance.

It isnít difficult to imagine him leapfrogging guys like Rasheed Wallace, Caron Butler, Richard Hamilton or Ray Allen next season, especially if he continues his marked improvement.

ďI think if we turn this around and have a better season next year, Iíd have a decent chance of making the all-star team in Phoenix,Ē Granger admitted before a win over the Knicks on Feb. 6.

His quick hands should allow him to vastly improve his handle, and further develop his on-ball defense heading into the 2008-09 season.

The only things holding Granger back from appearing in Phoenix next February are the play of the struggling Pacers and his own modesty. However, more career-highs in 2009 would speak loudly enough for themselves.

Andrew Perna is a Senior Writer for RealGM.com. Feel free to contact him via e-mail (Andrew.Perna@RealGM.com) with comments and questions.

Default Re: Danny Granger: Headed to Phoenix

Thanks for the positive read, I needed that one.

Yep, something to build on.

And that's why we're not trading him. Love me some Granger.

That title is cruel.

During that entire 2 second load time my NBA life flashed before my eyes and the following thoughts all blended together into a singular instant of terror:

"WhAATtttt!?!?!"

"Trade. Deadline. Last. Week!!??!?"

"hOW!?!?"

I forget, how many wins does the NBA award a team when one
    of their guys makes the All-Star team (I'll believe it when I see
    it when it comes to DG)....?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I forget, how many wins does the NBA award a team when one
    of their guys makes the All-Star team (I'll believe it when I see
    it when it comes to DG)....?
    Wrong question. Right question is "how many more fans would show up if Danny got some AS recognition?"

Wins are off the radar right now it's so bad, let's work on a more reachable hurdle and get a fan friendly star that people identify with when they hear "Pacers".

This is one of Perna's better articles btw.

PS - in your face jersey-purchase jinx, my boy's still here

PSS - why do I tempt fate by taunting it

Great article. Reading this board is disappointing for a DG fan because there is rarely any positive mention of him. He is either criticized or not even given props for a good game. It seems Indiana fans are taking him for granted. So it's nice to see that some actually do appreciate him.

Naptown-

I know that. Was just being a tongue-in-cheek cynic. As for
    DG, I like the kid. But I can't get too excited about a guy
    putting up pretty good #'s as the #1 or 1A option on a team
    that sucks.

After reading today's news (2/28), I needed a feel good Pacers story. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Naptown-

I know that. Was just being a tongue-in-cheek cynic. As for
    DG, I like the kid. But I can't get too excited about a guy
    putting up pretty good #'s as the #1 or 1A option on a team
    that sucks.
    Well I don't even dismiss your wins point, that is true. And Parna is a Pacers reporter (ie homer), not some neutral national guy. But there is some positive truth in his story.

Again, go to basketball-reference.com and pull Pippen's first 3 years and Grangers, note the similar progression. Pippen was more SG/SF, Danny is more PF/SF, but other than that there does seem to be a similar growth and convergence of their games.

We're mired in the view of our current awful luck, but in a few years I think we will be looking back at the Granger pick a lot like we looked back at the Reggie pick. Amazed that we got that guy with that pick. Not saying he's Reggie, but for a 17 pick it's going pretty well.

I'd suggest that due to his 3P% and FT% he'd do just as well elsewhere. I mean that's his 3P% on a team with few other threats to keep defenses off of him. This isn't good numbers on a bad team where the number is really just PPG and due to 16 FGA a night.

Maybe Stanko will give him a ride to Phoenix, because we are in for a hell of a season next year. I don't think Larry can hold off on unleashing his secret weapon - the BaracStar.

Banned

The writer of the article is a Pacer's fan, so he is unquestionably bias.

I like Granger a lot, but we'll have to wait to see if he's a legit player or your typical "big stats, bad team" guy. There are many promising young forwards in the East that this same article could be written about.

I like Granger, but he's going to have to fight Lebron James, Shawn Marion, Paul Pierce, Chris Bosh, Kevin Garnett, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, and Rasheed Wallace for an All-Star forward spot. The first 5 are probably locks to get in, so Granger will probably be competing with the last 3 for a spot.

Granger's going to have to play at a near MVP-level (just to get attention) and the Pacers should probably actually be winning if he's going to get consideration. I just don't see it, unless he's a replacement for someone who's injured. Nice article, but it's kinda wishful thinking.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Is it just me or has Shawn Marion not fallen off the ladder the past few years? He's averaging 15 points a game and all his other stats are down. There is a strong possibility he won't be in a heat jersey next year or even a eastern conference jersey at all next year. Once Mr. Beastley comes in there, his shots will probably go down as well.

To say that Danny Granger must perform at a MVP level to make the All Star game is absurd. Jermaine was a starter a few years back without a winning team or MVP like numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    To say that Danny Granger must perform at a MVP level to make the All Star game is absurd. Jermaine was a starter a few years back without a winning team or MVP like numbers.
    Jermaine made it 6 times because he averaged about 20-10 and 2 blocks a game during that time. One of those years he actually was 3rd in MVP voting. A few of those years were before Chris Bosh and Dwight Howard emerged and before Shaq moved East. During that time, Jermaine didn't really have much competition with big men in the East.

"Near MVP-level" was probably a little hyperbole on my part, but I think Granger really does need to perform well above how he's performing now to get consideration over the guys I mentioned.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Sports Logo

I know that it's past the trade deadline and that it's not happening....but can someone change the title or at least add a "( for the All-Star game next year )" to the title?

BTW...Unless Granger explodes next season....at best.....Granger could be considered a "borderline" All-Star by next season IF he continues his current progression. I don't think that he's good enough to make the All Star team next season unless he SIGNIFICANTLY improves his #s. I'm not saying that he hasn't improved his #s or that he isn't capable of doing so, I'm just saying that there are many other Starting SFs in the league that can put up similiar #s that won't make it.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't think Granger will be an "allstar player" and by that I mean he won't make it every year. he might make it once or twice if things fall his way.

Btw, how does it help more than hurt Danny that he is the best player on a bad team? He doesn't take 20+ shots every game. Rather, he faces the best defenders and most defensive attention. Also, he doesn't get nearly the calls that LeBron and Wade get. I am fairly satisfied with Danny at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Maybe Stanko will give him a ride to Phoenix, because we are in for a hell of a season next year. I don't think Larry can hold off on unleashing his secret weapon - the BaracStar.
    Have you read the most recent notes on Stanko at Draft Express? Sounds like he might yet be something, he was surprisingly impressive this last season, dare I say Smits-like. I'm not banking on it, but wouldn't that be a nice surprise.

Plus all those posts he'd make. That's value added right there.

Banned

Here's Danny's current production compared to the third-year production of other notable Small Forwards.....

Last edited by Kofi; 02-28-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't think Granger will be an "allstar player" and by that I mean he won't make it every year. he might make it once or twice if things fall his way.
    The all-star selections are quirky things. Here are some interesting facts:

-Chris Gatling was once an all-star (injury replacement)
    -Wally Szczerbiak was once an all-star
    -I think Tyrone Hill actually made it one year

-Antoine Walker (one of the most maligned players in the league) is a THREE TIME all-star. He's probably the least wanted multiple time all-star (as in no fan wants him on their team) in league history.

-Elton Brand and Baron Davis, for as good as they've been, have only made the all-star team twice in their great careers.

-Mike Bibby (an excellent player throughout his career) has NEVER made the all-star team.

-Paul Pierce (who a lot of people think Granger should aspire to be) is a SIX TIME all-star and has yet to turn 30 years of age.

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

That title scared the living **** out of me.
    Good read though, I like it when he gets this kind of attention.

Some people want it to happen, some
    wish it would happen, & others make it happen.
    ..Michael Jordan.

Pressure is something you feel when
    you don't know what the hell you're
    doing.
    ..Peyton Manning.