Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still want to make it?

Default Anyone still want to make it?

I know there are a lot of people out there who want to make the playoffs no matter what. I understand that mentality - you always want the team to be successful. Every year since I've been a fan (since '93-'94) I've wanted the P's to make the playoffs, but this year I don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting the team to tank. On a game-by-game basis I'm always rooting for them to win. But in regard to the season as a whole, I'd rather miss the playoffs.

What good does it do this team to make it? If we make it then in all likely-hood it means JO and Tinsley have come back and played a significant amount of games. This means that the younger guys are unlikely to get any playoff experience. Which is the only positive I can see to making it. Shawne would get less minutes and Ike would have no chance of playing if JO is back. This team isn't going to knock off Boston or Detroit. I find it unlikely we'd even take one game.

If we make it, we get swept and get a mid 1st round draft pick. The cycle of perennial mediocrity begins.

To get better you either need talent, or younger players with potential to trade for talent. We haven't got the necessary talent to get high talent back. We have a couple younger players who could bring back a little talent, or could blossom, but not enough.

This team needs a high draft pick to either a) get a high talent player in the draft, b) trade the high pick for a talented player or c) trade the player we pick for talent.

I love teams with heart. This team has got heart, but there simply isn't enough ability there. If we want to prevent being the next Milwaukee Bucks, we need to get some talent on this team. Making the playoffs will not achieve that.

Banned

Default Re: Anyone still want to make it?

Not me. I haven't since we feel apart back in....well, I can't remember exactly, but once it became apparent we were no better than a .400 team. I want as high a pick as possible, and I want that franchise guard we've lacked since Reggie was still an All-Star. And if we can't get that, then I'll settle for a Thabeet or a Hibbert.

I wish it didn't have to be this way.

Nope. And I'll be a Bulls fan tonight !

Yes, I do

I still want us to make the playoffs. And I still want us to win it all. Do I think we will, well, thats another story, but I want us to make the playoffs EVERY YEAR, all the way until the end.

I don't want to get in the playoffs by default....where all the teams are just falling apart and we're playing .400 basketball. If we started to click and actually looked like a team that can compete absolutely. But I think we're a few peices short from really being a "playoff team"

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Mixed feelings about this. I want to make the playoffs as a serious contender. If our setup was a one and done deal, where anything could happen, then maybe. But over 7 games against Detroit? We'd get hammered, which I think would work against our confidence. All in all, for this season, I'd say no, because this is the draft to have a higher pick in.

Since I know the Pacers have absolutely no chance against Boston or Detroit...no!

I always wanted them to make the Playoffs and - while watching a game - i'm also always rooting for them to win, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to get swept in the first round and then pick a player at no.15-20!

I don't say they should tank, but to me, the best way to somehow "save" this season is simply to play the young guys!

If we try to get to the 8th seed by giving Dunleavy, Murphy, O'neal and Tinsley 30 minutes/game for the rest of the season, then this whole season would have been a complete waste of time and talent!

Right now, we're simply not good enough!

Going back into hiding RamBo_Lamar's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

When the Pacers lost in Minnesota is when I really started losing hope for
    this season.

At this point I would have to say I would rather see a high draft pick rather
    than playoff appearance.

What I most definately do not want to see is for them to end up somewhere
    in between ().

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still want us to make the playoffs. And I still want us to win it all. Do I think we will, well, thats another story, but I want us to make the playoffs EVERY YEAR, all the way until the end.
    I guess this is the opinion I want to expand on. Like I mentioned I definitely understand the desire to make it. I also understand the "bleed blue & gold" sentiment. I'm a Pacer fan 'till I die. But we have no chance to do anything this year, unless we make a miraculous turn-around.

It's not that I feel this team simply needs development time, I just don't think the group we have is good enough, no matter how hard they play or how well they're coached. We're missing pieces.

So I guess I just want to know why you have this feeling. If we have no chance this year (and I don't think anyone would think we do), don't you feel we'd be better served to miss it, upgrade our talent and spur some changes?

Getting one more person in the draft is not going to be the saving grace of this organization. It rarely happens. Unless you have the top couple of picks. We aren't getting that.

And besides, ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs. Look at what the knicks did several years ago as an 8th seed, all the way to the finals.....

Quote Originally Posted by pacerDU View Post
    we make a miraculous turn-around.

that's what I'm rooting for.

I like to watch the Pacers play. When I watch, I get upset when they play badly. With this group of guys, I think everybody plays hard and gives their all each night. They truly want to win. When I watch these guys play, I want them to win. Since winning will likely mean making the playoffs, I guess that means I want them to make the playoffs. All I know is that I'm not going to stop watching, and I'm not going to stop wanting them to win when I watch.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    Getting one more person in the draft is not going to be the saving grace of this organization. It rarely happens. Unless you have the top couple of picks. We aren't getting that.

And besides, ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs. Look at what the knicks did several years ago as an 8th seed, all the way to the finals.....
    I still think we could make a draft night deal to move up, say we did make the playoffs and didn't have that high of a pick.

Seriously, people that think a 9-10 area draft pick is worth blowing the season for.....

Maybe like Gyron said, if we had 2 picks, but seriously we need to get our young core some playoff experience, IMO.
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 02-27-2008 at 03:00 PM.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo

Although I know that we would lose in 4-5 games against the Celtics or the Pistons.....I am okay with "still trying" only because we are 3 games out of the 7th and 8th place only because I think that JONeal will return and significantly improve our chances of making those games up.

IMHO....it's all about the $$$ and experience that Walsh thinks is important to developing our core players. Outside of the standard Donnie Walsh answer that giving Playoff experience to young players like Granger, Shawne, Dunleavy and Murphy is helpful in their development......don't we get to share in some Playoff $$$ if we make the Playoffs?

I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the motivations for TPTB....scrap for every bit of $$$ that they can get to makeup for all those empty chairs in Conseco Fieldhouse. However, I will admit that the difference between making the Playoffs and not is about 5 to 6 draft spots....which could mean the difference between getting a player like Mayo, Thabeet or ( even ) Gordon ( assuming that he drops ).....but maybe TPTB are thinking like Seth is....hope for a player like that but realistically aim for a player like Love or Augustine who will likely be available at the 15th spot.

But ask me the same question again when Tinsley returns and IF we start reverting back to JONeal/Tinsley "pounding the ball and killing whatever ball movement that we have".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Because I don't think we'd fall far enough to be able to draft a difference-maker, I'd rather see our young players get playoff experience.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Because I don't think we'd fall far enough to be able to draft a difference-maker, I'd rather see our young players get playoff experience.
    Roger that.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say no I don't, and ill give you the reason why. Id rather have a decent draft pick at this point rather then making the first round of the playoffs and looking like fools getting swept by Boston.

We need to just shut down all of our injured guys and look to next season. Its clear we aren't contenders.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Banned

That playoff experience sure did a lot of good for the young players on the 2004 Boston Celtics that we swept by an average margin of victory of 17 points.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Pretty much. We're playing to win, and on most nights we just don't have enough to take over and get the wins.

We should all just be hoping for a 5-7 game winning streak. God that would be nice.....

It isn't like we're trying to lose.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I am a man of extremes. Last time I looked the Pacers were slated to get the 9th pick of the draft, if we make the playoffs as an 8 seed we'll have the worst record out of all playoff teams and get I believe the 15th or 16th pick.

There hasn't proven to be any players in between 9-15 in the past 4 years that have been absolute first options. The closest to that is Andrew Iguodala or Al Jefferson, and you're talking a 1/4th chance of getting a player like that and basically another 1/4th chance of getting a bust, and a 50% chance of getting a decent roleplayer but definately a guy that isn't starter capability on a good team.

Thus, not really worth tanking then if we end up with say the 9th pick in the draft.

I either want us to totally collapse and win like 3 or 4 games for the rest of the year which would give us a real chance at a top 5 pick, or I want us to surge and make the playoffs, get some playoff experience for Danny, Shawne, and Dunleavy (Dun has never been in the playoffs), and hope to net an Al Jefferson quality player with the 15th pick (fat chance but I can dream).

Of course, the extremes never happen, and we'll probably get the 9th pick and get some average bench player.

Every year the draft is hyped as being deep, well except maybe for those couple of really, really ugly years circa 2001-2002. Is the draft really worth it, is it another 2003 or 2004 draft where there was a lot of talent to be had or are we all just kidding ourselves?

My question to those that want to make the playoffs is: how do we rectify our lack of talent? Look if we can put a team together with the talent-level to compete in the next few years, whilst still making the playoffs this year then I'm absolutely all for it. But I just don't see how we can do that.

I think the playoff experience point in this instant is over-rated. Getting swept in the 1st round isn't playoff experience. If we had the team to maybe win two games against the top teams then sure, but we haven't. When JO/Tinsley comes back, maybe. I still doubt it.

I just don't want the franchise to get stuck in that vicious circle that is continual mediocrity. Nothing worse than that. I know that getting a top pick this year won't suddenly make us contenders, unless the player turned out to be Lebron. What it does do however is give us options. I don't see those options if we pick +15.

I just don't think we have enough of the pieces who need playoff experience. Or they just wouldn't play enough. If we make the playoffs, the key players would be JT and JO once again. Mike and Danny would get theirs...but mostly it'd be same old, same old.

I don't like seeing this team lose and grow disparaged but I'd be very pleased with the 8th pick in the draft. Even happier with the 6th pick.

Mood

I am torn on this. My heart roots for the Pacers to win every game, how can one cheer their team on to defeat? But my mind thinks that maybe it is better to lose and get a better pick so that the team can actually improve. But I don't think we are bad enough to get a lottery pick, so we might as well win all we can.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigRik View Post
    how can one cheer their team on to defeat?
    By knowing that losing in the short term means winning in the long term.