Thread: Murphy's in the zone

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Murphy's in the zone

Hey, we've ripped the hell out of him for his poor play/contract, so how about some love for this recent incarnation of Troy. I've mentioned it in several threads, I've seen others do the same, but let's make it official.

He is on fire. He's had a ton of baseline drive dunks, he flew in from an unguarded high wing spot yesterday for one of his flushes, and he's busting his butt on the glass and defense. I mean he looks like a player reborn, it's great to watch.

I'm actually really happy when I see him coming into games now. I say thing like "get Troy back in" or "get the ball to Troy and let him drive".

It sucks being down on him after he had that nice welcome letter. He seems to be a pretty nice guy. Finally we have some on court results that make it easier to appreciate all that.

Also currently rolling - Danny, Foster...Quis coming out of a bad slump

Sadly slumping - Dun, Rush, Diener, Shawne (PT issues have hurt his development/confidence)

Default Re: Murphy's in the zone

Yeah, he's finally playing like pre-contract Troy Murphy. He's going to the rim like he used to and not worrying about getting fouled. His FT attempts are way up lately as well. Murph's D is always going to be below average, but playing the way he has on the offensive end makes him deserving of the minutes. (The contract is another story)

I've been pretty harsh on him, but I like this new guy wearing the Murphy jersey. Troy has been playing great basketball recently. It's like he's remembered that he's a big man instead of a shooting guard. If this is what we'll keep seeing, then I take back my many requests to move him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he stays consistent then ill give credit where credit is due.

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

Troy Murphy ≠ Death of the Franchise

I mean, we always knew the guy was good - after all, he's from New Jersey.

Yes...The Twilight Zone.

He has been rather sick of late though and I, too, have no idea what's been happening with this guy.

I'm afraid though...very afraid.

Sports Logo

I'm gonna ask the obvious question....do you think that he is performing better because he's not sharing the floor with JONeal?

I really wonder if he can maintain this pace and performance with JONeal in the lineup.

I really think that his game is much improved ( especially with him driving to the hoop ) because JONeal isn't clogging the paint.

Murphy is what he is.....an expensive Big Man that is better suited to be the 1st man off the bench. I would much rather have Murphy produce like this off the bench.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

11/7/2 in just 2 6 minutes is pretty damn solid. His fg% is low due to shooting so many 3's, and his defense is still fairly bad, but other than that he's a pretty good player. If he was only making $7M per season a lot of teams would be after him.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    11/7/2 in just 2 6 minutes is pretty damn solid. His fg% is low due to shooting so many 3's, and his defense is still fairly bad, but other than that he's a pretty good player. If he was only making $7M per season a lot of teams would be after him.
    Does anyone know if Murphy plays better paired with Foster or by himself as the lone Big Man on the court when JO'B goes with Small Ball?

Here are some interesting stats.

December ( 14 games with JONeal in the lineup )

10.8ppg, 6.4rpg with 54% ( 2pt%A ), 39% ( 3ptA ), 1.3-1.7 ( FTM-FTA ) in 28 minutes over 14 games.

February ( 11 games without JONeal in the lineup )

13.9ppg, 6.5rpg with 46% ( 2pt%A ), 48% ( 3ptA ), 3.5-3.9 ( FTM-FTA ) in 29 minutes over 11 games.

If Murphy could produce like this off the bench playing next to Foster I would be satisfied with his production despite being one of the most expensive Backup Big Man in the league. BTW...I'm not suggesting that JONeal shouldn't return....cuz we desperately need his defense.....I'm merely suggesting that Murphy seems to be a productive player when he is paired with Foster. If it's at all possible.....I would try to minimize the amount of minutes that Murphy shares the floor with JONeal and pair him up as much with Foster.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-27-2008 at 01:23 AM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

woman without a team

Since I don't watch the games I thought Seth ment the ozone. My bad.

Cable,

I do think Murphy's newly (re)discovered forays to the rim, which are very much needed in our offense, would be curtailed with JO's post-up positioning. The middle right now is obviously almost coninuously open. The only real post-up we see is when there is a severe size mismatch off a switch.

I'm not sure our offense needs that much of a traditional low-post presence. IMO what it needs is more drives to the hoop and less shameless launching of 3s. Open 3s-within the flow, for guys in a zone, or for our top 3 pt guys-are fine. In addition, we need more guys who can attack the rim off the dribble, hit a big shot, and go aggressively to the offensive glass and manufacture some putback points.

Murphy is trying to do some of this within his capabilities. Granger is improving, Dunleavy is reasonably good. Foster is good for the offensive boards part of the equation. Problem is, outside Granger, all those guys plus Diener, Rush, et al are really role/bench-quality players.

Honestly, despite the overkill at the swing position, I would like to see our offense try to do the above suggestions with a VC or RJeff in the mix. Still leaves the gaping hole at PG and the shot-blocking, rebounding C variety. But, hey, we're stuck with that anyway.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

He's played well, and although he isn't a good one-on-one defender - at all - he does understand the defensive system, and it is obvious to me that the pacers play much better when Murph is on the court as opposed to Ike or David. (it is striking how bad our defense is and how disorganized our offense is when Ike or David are on the court - the number of mental mistakes those two make in 1 minute of play is mind boggling to me )

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I've been pretty harsh on him, but I like this new guy wearing the Murphy jersey. Troy has been playing great basketball recently. It's like he's remembered that he's a big man instead of a shooting guard. If this is what we'll keep seeing, then I take back my many requests to move him.

anthem, if you don't have your insane hatred for troy murphy, what will you have left?

while i do enjoy his improvement, i still won't back off my belief that we need to trade him. as d_c has stated nearly 1349 times, you can find players to give you exactly what murphy does (outside shooting, driving, poor defense) for cheaper and fewer years.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Murph's +/- (according to Yahoo) in Feb. Team +/- in ().

TOR (-4) +3
    NJ (-11) -5
    NJ (+10) +11
    CLE (-9) +15
    DET (-16) -13
    BOS (-7) +6
    POR (+8) +7
    NY (+3) -8
    SA (-27) -13
    ORL (-6) +8
    HOU (-3) -6

Totals in Feb.: Team -62 Troy +5

That's a pretty substantial difference.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Murph's +/- (according to Yahoo) in Feb. Team +/- in ().

TOR (-4) +3
    NJ (-11) -5
    NJ (+10) +11
    CLE (-9) +15
    DET (-16) -13
    BOS (-7) +6
    POR (+8) +7
    NY (+3) -8
    SA (-27) -13
    ORL (-6) +8
    HOU (-3) -6

Totals in Feb.: Team -62 Troy +5

That's a pretty substantial difference.

So what you're saying is we need a team of Murphy's? What would be our payroll if that happened?

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    So what you're saying is we need a team of Murphy's? What would be our payroll if that happened?
    We'd be over the luxury tax for sure. It would be awesome, though, when all their contracts expired at once and we could trade them for a whole new team at the deadline.

Actually, I'm just pointing out that the team has played much better with Murphy on floor over the past month. I know his defense isn't pretty, but it's apparently not hurting us all that much.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    We'd be over the luxury tax for sure. It would be awesome, though, when all their contracts expired at once and we could trade them for a whole new team at the deadline.

Actually, I'm just pointing out that the team has played much better with Murphy on floor over the past month. I know his defense isn't pretty, but it's apparently not hurting us all that much.
    I figured that. But oh well.

Banned

Wink Re: Murphy's in the zone

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Hey, we've ripped the hell out of him for his poor play/contract, so how about some love for this recent incarnation of Troy. I've mentioned it in several threads, I've seen others do the same, but let's make it official.

He is on fire. He's had a ton of baseline drive dunks, he flew in from an unguarded high wing spot yesterday for one of his flushes, and he's busting his butt on the glass and defense. I mean he looks like a player reborn, it's great to watch.

I'm actually really happy when I see him coming into games now. I say thing like "get Troy back in" or "get the ball to Troy and let him drive".

It sucks being down on him after he had that nice welcome letter. He seems to be a pretty nice guy. Finally we have some on court results that make it easier to appreciate all that.

Also currently rolling - Danny, Foster...Quis coming out of a bad slump

Sadly slumping - Dun, Rush, Diener, Shawne (PT issues have hurt his development/confidence)

Alright, where is the real Seth? Is he being held captive and penned this post under duress. I will contribute toward his ransom, as I miss the old Seth.
    Last edited by Elgin56; 02-27-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    Only $138.1 million.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Cable,

I do think Murphy's newly (re)discovered forays to the rim, which are very much needed in our offense, would be curtailed with JO's post-up positioning. The middle right now is obviously almost coninuously open. The only real post-up we see is when there is a severe size mismatch off a switch.

I'm not sure our offense needs that much of a traditional low-post presence. IMO what it needs is more drives to the hoop and less shameless launching of 3s. Open 3s-within the flow, for guys in a zone, or for our top 3 pt guys-are fine. In addition, we need more guys who can attack the rim off the dribble, hit a big shot, and go aggressively to the offensive glass and manufacture some putback points.

Murphy is trying to do some of this within his capabilities. Granger is improving, Dunleavy is reasonably good. Foster is good for the offensive boards part of the equation. Problem is, outside Granger, all those guys plus Diener, Rush, et al are really role/bench-quality players.
    Doesn't Foster create the same "clog up the middle" issues that JONeal creates whenever he is in the lineup?

I think that it's been brought up before.......but do both players position themselves differently in the paint whenver Foster is on the court...as opposed to JONeal being on the court?

Because this poses the obvious question that IF JONeal's positioning on the floor creates an issue for Murphy to attack the rim.....doesn't it create the same problems for the rest of the team?

If that is the case....is there anything that can be done to adjust to that?

If not....then I really think that if we want to continue to get this type of production out of Murphy.....then I would really look to minimize the # of minutes that he shares with JONeal while on the court.

Me too. Bad contracts I can take, it's always a mix of good and bad deals. The key is the total amount of team talent and does it mesh. That's why JO can come up short of a $20m effort, but with Danny, Rush, Diener and Foster giving you bonus output all you need the highest paid guys to do is get in the ballpark (say $14m from JO and $7m from Troy).

Troy is finally doing that. But why? Where did this come from? You'd think he was a rookie that was finally figuring it all out.

BTW, I dropped the ball on the +/- thread, but I did get my XL caught up to the NJ game. At that point I ran the last 10 games numbers and obviously Troy was leading the way. Again, he, Jeff and Danny are helping win games or at least giving the team a shot at it.

But as I say, you can't get too much of a good thing, Dun's been slumping hard. What is this, a teeter-totter?
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-27-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Troy is finally doing that. But why? Where did this come from? You'd think he was a rookie that was finally figuring it all out.
    Yeah, that's what I wonder as well. I really don't think it has anything to do with JO, because he [Murphy] was playing his old game for a long time at GS before he ever played next to JO. I'm interested in seeing Murph/JO on the court together.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Another drive for dunk tonight. I swear, 1 or 2 of those every game. Some have been pretty strong dunks too.

Maybe health? JOB show question right there.

Sports Logo

Yeah, that's what I wonder as well. I really don't think it has anything to do with JO, because he [Murphy] was playing his old game for a long time at GS before he ever played next to JO. I'm interested in seeing Murph/JO on the court together.
    You only have to go back to the December stats to see how they do together. His shooting % is up in certain catagories......but his FGA and FTA are down.

Again...I'm not blaming JONeal.....if anything, I would blame the rest of the team for deferring to him so much.....but you have to wonder if Murphy, if not the entire team ( most notably with Granger ), plays differently when JONeal is on the court.

What I'm really interested in seeing is how Diener will play with JONeal on the court now that he has started and is really involved in the teams offense. If anything......Diener really moves the ball around and gets the entire team involved in the offense. Tinsley more or less does the same...but he dominates the ball more and tends to favor JONeal in the offense.