Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vote of confidence: Larry Bird

Default Vote of confidence: Larry Bird

Ok, similar to what we had with O'Brien.

I am just going to step back and let people say what they want about Bird on this. If you think he has been in charge since he took over fine, or if you think he is just now taking over fine, or if you think he is still nothing more than adult Boomer that's fine to.

Here is the queston.

Do you have confidence that Larry Bird is capable of leading us out of the current situation we are in?

Feel free to expound as much as you would like.

Default Re: Vote of confidence: Larry Bird

I'll say yes. My reasoning is only because Diener and Rush have shown to be nice pick ups. I also found his recent press conference to be quite refreshing. He was talking almost as if he was pissed off. I also like the fact that he knows exactly what this team needs. I will lose confidence if he doesn't address those needs in the off season.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Do you have confidence that Larry Bird is capable of leading us out of the current situation we are in?

NO....hell no. (Thank you Wil Smith)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No confidence.

When he was supposed to be looking for talent in Boston I thought his choices were a bit ... unusual.

I feel the same way here.

I don't think he has a good eye for what really makes a solid ballplayer. He can spot desire but talent is another story. I truly believe he thinks that since he achieved so much by working hard, anyone can do the same. He misses the idea that there is a need for some talent and ability in that equation.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

woman without a team

No. Nunca. No en este curso de la vida.
    Non. Jamais. Pas dans cette vie.
    No. Mai. Non in questo corso della vita.
    Нет. Никогда. Не в этой продолжительности жизни.
    Nein. Nie. Nicht in dieser Lebenszeit.
    いいえ。決して。ないこの一生の間に。
    Nr. Nooit. Niet in dit leven.
    Αριθ.. Ποτέ. Όχι σε αυτήν την διάρκεια ζωής.
    아니다. 결코. 아니다 이 일생안에.
    Não. Nunca. Não nesta vida.

In other words I don't think so.

edit: Missed a couple.

不。从未。不是在这一生。
    不。從未。不是在這一生。
    Last edited by grace; 02-26-2008 at 06:30 PM.

No

So far he's done 3 things.

1. Signed a bunch of end of the bench guys.

2. Allowed some of the players to run the nuts house without anymore than a, we don't like that.

3. Made excuses why he hasn't made this team better when just about everyother team in the league has taken steps to improve.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Absolutely not.

Diener and Rush were both very good pick-ups; cheap, young, hungry, talented guys who are really busting their asses this year.

Every other non-Granger asset that we've acquired since Bird got into town? Not so much...

Impossible to tell, since there is no transparency. I am willing to give him about 3 more years, especially if Walsh leaves this summer.

Yeah I just don't think less than 1 year of being in charge is enough to say I have no confidence in the guy.

Yes, for one he's really shaking the bushes looking for useable players. Look at how many players has he looked at in the last three years, especially at point guard. Which shows he's not satisfied with who we have there.

Where I think he could be weak is in resigning our restricted free agents. I don't think he will be like Walsh and overpay a bit, I think he will try to underpay a bit. He has his first minor test in that regard coming up this summer with Kareem Rush, who's a free agent.

The reason I say minor is he's been instructed by the Simon's to not pay the luxury tax unless it's for a great reason, and Hoopshype has us already scheduled to pay more salary next year than this. So we are likely already at next years tax line.

So as of right now he has to make a lot of changes to get the salary down and Rush could be a casualty of that. The same goes for Stephen Graham.

So for me this coming summer is a major test for Bird. He has to get our salaries down while improving the team at the same time. How he handles that, and how he handles our own restricted free agents is how I will judge him.

I don't have confidence in Bird. He hasn't done anything great since coming here apart from drafting Granger, and that was a gift. However, he is a legend and a certain hall-of-famer. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know. So I'll enter a "No" mixed with a lot of respect.

I don't like hearing Bird talk. While his hickiness is charming, it doesn't instill confidence.
    Last edited by Putnam; 02-26-2008 at 07:42 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Yes.

Sports Logo

I'm inbetween "Not sure because I want to give him 1 more season to sort this mess out" to "Little to no confidence in his abilities whatsoever".

Realistically, I am guessing that Bird inherited a mess of a team from Walsh's GSW/Pacer trade and Bird has tried to push the team in a different direction by bringing in Rush/Diener and having JO'B iimplement a totally different Offense/Defense. I understand that it may take up to 2 seasons for him to figure out who fits, who doesn't fit and what type of players that we will need to make this system work. However, this doesn't mean that I am not entirely confident that he can do it.

I feel that the Coaching Staff and Bird himself ( through little to no action on his part ) has done very little ( or at least is very slow ) to address recurring problems in the offense/defense.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I believe he'll hold a press conference and talk about our problems.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Yes.

I think that Bird can.

I think that Bird wants to make ALOT of changes but hasn't been able to, maybe blame Donnie for holding him back.

Has Bird been behind all of the moves the Pacers have made, or has it been Donnie? IDK. I would like to see Donnie get out of the office so we can find out what Bird can do.

The Pacers haven't been able to get good value for their players. No one wanted to touch Artest, or Stephen Jackson, or Jamaal Tinsley and we don't want Vince Carter for Jermaine. His hands have been tied and he didn't pick these players.

I think Bird knows what he wants in here. He knows what we need. He wants a point guard, a big man, and he says we need a leader. With the current roster, those are not going to be easy to find. But I do think that Bird knows what he is looking for.

I'll say it, Bird can lead this team out of the current mess. I just don't know that he will as long as Donnie is here.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Yes.
    No.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    NO....hell no. (Thank you Wil Smith)
    That's exactly what I was gonna say. Though, I must bow to the wisdom of this:

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    いいえ。決して。ないこの一生の間に。
    아니다. 결코. 아니다 이 일생안에.

不。从未。不是在这一生。
    不。從未。不是在這一生。
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Absolutely not. But I'm absolutely not convinced he needs to go, either. I want to see him with Donnie Walsh out completely. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say it's more likely he'll flop than not, but I don't know until it gets here.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    No confidence.

When he was supposed to be looking for talent in Boston I thought his choices were a bit ... unusual.

I feel the same way here.

I don't think he has a good eye for what really makes a solid ballplayer. He can spot desire but talent is another story. I truly believe he thinks that since he achieved so much by working hard, anyone can do the same. He misses the idea that there is a need for some talent and ability in that equation.
    How do you explain Shawne Williams and especially Danny Granger, then? Hell, for a backup 1, even Diener deserves honorable mention.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I pretty much agree with rommie. I do know the two headed GM isn't working.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I like to remove Bird from it since that ends up being the debate, and instead look at it as the TPTB version circa Bird being brought in. He did get credit for dumping Isiah and bringing in Rick, so it's kinda weird that allegedly after that his powers were removed and he took a back seat to Walsh the rest of the way.

But Walsh keeps saying "it was me" and so on. Frankly I suspect that SOME of this is DW covering for Larry....but there we are, even I'm debating this stupid thing when it's a moot point. Sorry about that.

I have low confidence in the current version of TPTB, regardless of the configuration.

Hiring Rick, great.

Handling of Ron, mixed. Like the patience, hate the choice of Peja (ahem, does seem like a Larry thing).

Draft of Danny and SW, solid.

The GS trade, horrible.

TE for Peja, awesome (but a Morway move).

Giving ATL the pick for Al, terrible, though if you don't do the GS trade and that team continues as is then the pick is about 18th and not as big a deal, especially since you made a run at the playoffs.

Handling of off-court issues, mixed. Post-brawl I like the patience since there was no precedent. But letting things continue with what I'd hope was some inside knowledge is a problem.

Off-season moves. Well for the cheap end, great, but as the end-all, be-all change not that impressive.

Saras, whoops. (That was Bird, the guy in Europe scouting) And it probably cost them Dale due to eating up the MLE funds.

Baston, modest.

Trade for White...I don't really dislike it, didn't really cost them much, but it sure was sad to see those picks traded for a guy they cut after camp.

Letting go of James Jones - HUGE mistake, and I said so at the time. He was just what they needed to replace Reggie, a catch and shoot 3pt ace, but what do I or Portland know?

Letting Fred walk - seems reasonable

Getting Dale back, great. Letting Dale walk, not great.

The Stan Van Gundy, general coach search, sudden phone interview process and hiring of JOB - meh. JOB seems okay, but ultimately wasn't that whole thing odd? Say what you want about SVG, he had decent success in Miami pre-Shaq and is doing just fine in Orlando.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-26-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    いいえ。決して。ないこの一生の間に。
    아니다. 결코. 아니다 이 일생안에.

不。从未。不是在这一生。
    不。從未。不是在這一生。

I'll add to this

Wo, bu yao.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Yes I do. I think there were unfavorable circumstances and external forces that have handcuffed him. But I also think the same thing happened to Carlisle and he got fired. As of right now I think JOB has been a definite step down from Rick. There just does not seem to be any structure offensively OR defensively.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Absolutely NOT.

The handoff between Bird and Walsh should've been a MUCH quicker process. And we STILL don't know if it's complete since Walsh is still here... doing what? Bird's honeymoon period was wasted. Right now, Bird would have to be a genius to really turn this around in a timeframe that wouldn't see Conseco absolutely empty before it happened. Every move (or lack of) is and will be magnified and scrutinized more and more.

Fingers are already being pointed at him and it isn't going to get better ...especially if he really is assuming control.

...But it's too late now anyway.

We need someone that can sell ice to Eskimos at this point. A real mover and shaker that can sell everyone from the fanbase, media, team, AND the Simons on what needs to happen and what he's doing and wanting to do is in the best interest of the team.

And since Bird's honeymoon period was squandered, I have a feeling his 'down home' grammar isn't going to help things in a PR sense. That kind of thing might be excused early and then overlooked later if things are working... but when the wheels are coming off it is just one more strike.

I think Bird would've been given some leeway (from fans) to find his way and get some footing... even make some mistakes... initially... But instead he played a role somewhere between "Boomer, Bowser and Bird" and apprentice. We've either squandered several seasons without knowing what Bird's true management of the team would be like, or else we saw exactly what it would be like. In either case, whether it was two-headed monster, adult mascot, or kidnapper of Donnie Walsh... the results speak for themselves. This franchise cannot continue on this road.

No vote of confidence for Bird. No more time for Bird.

Fire them all..

-Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 02-26-2008 at 10:18 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

No confidence...and this is coming from a die hard Bird fan.

I don't even give Bird credit for Granger because that was a complete no brainer once he fell that far. The only truly great move he's made since he got here was firing Zeke. Too bad that happened in his first month on the job and it's been all downhill from there...