Thread: Wells, Star: Pacers finished waiting for return of O'Neal, Tinsley

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Wells, Star: Pacers finished waiting for return of O'Neal, Tinsley

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

Both players' possible return dates have come and gone.

When Jamaal Tinsley and Jermaine O'Neal, both dealing with knee injuries, will return is anybody's guess.

As the Indiana Pacers attempt to salvage a disappointing season, the players have taken the mind-set that they can't wait for O'Neal and Tinsley to save it.

The Pacers are 9-14 without O'Neal and 6-11 without Tinsley this season.

"That's the mind-set we have to have with them being out," small forward Mike Dunleavy said. "If we get them back, that's gravy, but this is our team and we'll have to make the most of it, and we feel like we can go out there every night and get wins."

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said Tinsley, out since Feb. 5, was expected back last week. The point guard hasn't resumed practicing with his teammates.

The Pacers said Jan. 19 that O'Neal would miss a minimum of two weeks. The next day, O'Neal said he would be willing to sit out the rest of the season if that's what it took to get his knee back to full strength.

O'Neal said before Saturday's game against the New Jersey Nets that he hopes to start practicing with his teammates soon and return at some point this season.

"I don't take the mind-set that they're not going to be back because I know they're going to be back," O'Brien said. "But our mind-set is that if guys are hurt, they can't help you tonight. There's no use worrying about people that are not in uniform."

The Pacers probably wouldn't struggle as much if one of their wing players was injured because that's their deepest position. They're trying to make do without their starting point guard and only offensive legitimate post player. The absence of Tinsley and O'Neal has been most glaring late in games when they need to get the ball inside to score.

"If you notice, in the last however many games we've been in and lost, it's always been the key player from the other team making the plays to win the games," Pacers president Larry Bird said. "We haven't got that out there. Ours is hurt. Until we get him back, we probably will struggle in that area."

The Pacers also miss O'Neal's defensive impact. The forward makes their defense look better than it really is because he blocks or alters shots when opponents penetrate the Pacers' perimeter defense.

"He's such a difference maker on both ends," Dunleavy said. "We miss him on both ends. But the thing is, this is reality, and it is what it is and he's not going to be in there. Other guys have to step up and find a way to fill the void."

Travis Diener has provided an outside game the Pacers lack with Tinsley in the lineup, but Diener can't get to the basket like Tinsley. The Pacers haven't received steady play behind Diener because Marquis Daniels and Andre Owens have been inconsistent.

"We're not using it as an excuse," center Jeff Foster said. "We have to expect to go out there and win games. We have an opportunity to win some games against teams that are fighting for a playoff spot like we are. Hopefully we can make some ground up."
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wells, Star: Pacers finished waiting for return of O'Neal, Tinsley

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wells View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said Tinsley, out since Feb. 5, was expected back last week. The point guard hasn't resumed practicing with his teammates.
    So what's up with this? Is JT upset that his name has been connected to trade rumors? Is JOB's coaching holding him back?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    So what's up with this? Is JT upset that his name has been connected to trade rumors? Is JOB's coaching holding him back?
    My guess: After cajoling and encouraging and giving Tinsley "talks like a man," JOB finally put the hammer down and told him to grow up.

Tinsley is not a grown up.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

'That's the mind-set we have to have with them being out,' small forward Mike Dunleavy said. 'If we get them back, that's gravy...
    No Mike that is 27 million dollar gravy. There is a difference.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It sounds like Tinsley's sinupoutis has spread to his knee.

We should've traded him 4 seasons ago when he still had some value and "potential".
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

when will he ever learn? underwave's Avatar

why is it so hard to know when exactly JT and JO will come back? two players that are most likely to be involved in a trade comming off-season. they should be working hard to raise their own value as well as trade value. mystery.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by underwave View Post
    why is it so hard to know when exactly JT and JO will come back? two players that are most likely to be involved in a trade comming off-season. they should be working hard to raise their own value as well as trade value. mystery.
    It's ridiculous.

Jamaal Tinsley has 3 more years on his contract, after this one. Wow. We may be in the worst shape of any team in the league when it comes to lack of talent and supply of bad contracts.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    It's ridiculous.

Jamaal Tinsley has 3 more years on his contract, after this one. Wow. We may be in the worst shape of any team in the league when it comes to lack of talent and supply of bad contracts.

Let's sign some D-leaguers that would make the most of their playing time and not take it for granted... let's see what points guards and bigs are available and give them some playing time.

Why not? If we're not waiting on JO and Tins, there's no sense in not giving other talent a shot. But then again, Graham, Owens, and Ike get sporadic-nonexistent playing time as it is, so I guess my proposal is moot

Finished waiting? What choice do they have BUT wait?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Finished waiting? What choice do they have BUT wait?

I really really wonder if they will start to think buy out, behind closed doors at some point. Who is Tinsley's agent.

I would have never had thought this because it is a horrible business move in 99.9 percent of situations because I believe it still counts against your cap, you lose an asset for nothing and the guy can go sign somewhere on the cheap to come back to haunt you, but I think it will approach that point, the way its going.

Maybe an injury retirement would work, but thinking of the Bender situation I don't know if that provides any cap relief.

Am I jumping the gun here, pun intended?

You know what's really sad; the thought of realizing that the JO/Tinsley era is *longer* than the Pacers "golden years" of the 1990's-2000.

The golden years were 94-00. JO and Tinsley have already played together from 01-07. The fact that we're probably stuck with them both through 2010(Tinsley 1 year longer?) means that they will have 9 years together. That's just 3 years short of the Miller/Smits 12 year era.

Wow, that's really disgusting to think about.

I want these guys off of the team so bad. I want this whole era behind the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    Let's sign some D-leaguers that would make the most of their playing time and not take it for granted... let's see what points guards and bigs are available and give them some playing time.

Why not?
    Why not?

Maybe because a team is only allowed fifteen players. Including those that are injured.

when will he ever learn? underwave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    me, too. what are you talking about kofi?

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    He told some guy in line at the coat drive he was going to be out at least 3 more weeks. That was on the 10th.

JO'B should've donated a coat. He would've gotten the update........

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EO02/302110003
    Last edited by MagicRat; 02-26-2008 at 08:12 AM.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    He told some guy in line at the coat drive he was going to be out at least 3 more weeks. That was on the 10th.

JO'B should've donated a coat. He would've gotten the update........
    No one was stealing JT's coat were they.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Why not?

Maybe because a team is only allowed fifteen players. Including those that are injured.
    Last I checked, our roster has 14 guys. So while maybe two wouldn't work unless we cut someone, we can try one out.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    Last I checked, our roster has 14 guys. So while maybe two wouldn't work unless we cut someone, we can try one out.
    yup. like a backup pg maybe? since quis and owens haven't been cutting it?

we wouldn't even have to look far. earl calloway of our d-league affiliate the mad ants is having a great season.
    Last edited by wintermute; 02-25-2008 at 10:35 PM.