Thread: WTHR reporting Sampson out, Dakich in at IU

Default WTHR reporting Sampson out, Dakich in at IU

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=7904939

Rich Nye/Eyewitness Sports

Bloomington - Indiana University is making plans to finish the basketball season without Kelvin Sampson. The coach of the Hoosiers is not expected to be with the team when they play at Northwestern Saturday.

A source close to the situation tells Eyewitness Sports that officials from the IU administration have met with assistant basketball coach Dan Dakich about taking over the basketball team as interim head coach for the rest of the season.

Dakich began this season in an administrative position with the team. He became an assistant coach when assistant coach Rob Senderoff resigned in October for his involvement in improper phone calls to recruits. Dakich is a former IU player and assistant coach under Bob Knight.

Athletic director Rick Greenspan must make a recommendation to the president by Friday regarding Sampson's future and the NCAA allegations. The program is accused of five possible major recruiting violations, and Sampson is accused of lying to IU and the NCAA about it.

The source says that by Friday afternoon, Sampson and the university will likely reach a financial settlement ending his employment, or Sampson will be suspended pending termination under the terms of his contract.
    The Hoosiers play at Northwestern Saturday night. IU is still contender for the Big Ten title, just a half game out of first place.

It does not appear that Coach Sampson will finish the season with the Hoosiers.

See the NCAA's letter to IU.

See a complete list of allegations.

See IU's statement on the NCAA allegations.

See Sampson's contract.

Read IU's statement following University President McRobbie's Feb. 15 announcement.

woman without a team

Default Re: WTHR reporting Sampson out, Dakich in at IU

If this is official by now ignore what I'm about to say:

Haven't we learned we really can't trust anything Channel 13 says? Maybe Rich Nye is more reliable than what's his name.

It's being reported by other sources as well. There have been indications of a buyout which would **** me off to no end. If a buyout is involved don't stop at Sampson as far as letting people go.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

streets ahead

nothing official yet...

Indiana Mulls Basketball Coach's Fate

from The Associated Press

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. February 21, 2008, 04:50 pm ET · Indiana could have a new head coach when the 15th-ranked Hoosiers travel to Northwestern on Saturday.

School officials met Thursday to consider the future of embattled coach Kelvin Sampson, who has been accused by the NCAA of five major recruiting violations over improper telephone calls to high school players. The university was reviewing the allegations and had set a Friday deadline for a report and recommendation on action.

University spokesman Larry MacIntyre and members of the board of trustees denied reports Indiana had decided Sampson's fate and would make assistant coach Dan Dakich the interim head coach.

"I don't believe the athletic director has even given the recommendation to the president yet," said trustee Patrick Shoulders.

Trustee Philip Eskew Jr. told The Associated Press he had been notified by e-mail that Indiana would have an announcement on Sampson's status Friday but did not have details.

An NCAA report released last week accused Sampson of providing false and misleading information to university and NCAA investigators about the phone calls and failing to promote a high standard of honesty and an atmosphere of compliance in the program.

Sampson has said he never intentionally provided false or misleading information to NCAA investigators.

A report by the university in October detailed more than 100 impermissible recruiting calls, most of them by assistant coach Rob Senderoff, who has since resigned. At least 10 of them were three-way calls that Sampson had been patched into, a violation of NCAA restrictions imposed on Sampson for previous telephone improprieties while he was coach at Oklahoma.

The university has contended the violations were secondary, not major.

Dan Dakich, 45, a former Indiana player and assistant coach and former head coach at Bowling Green, took Senderoff's spot on the coaching staff in early November.

Dakich, who was hired as IU's director of basketball operations in June, is subject to the same restrictions the university imposed on Senderoff, who was banned from calling recruits and making off-campus recruiting visits for one year.

The NCAA has scheduled a May 8 hearing on the accusations. Proven major violations come with penalties that include teams being excluded from postseason tournaments.

Following the release of the NCAA report, athletic director Rick Greenspan, university counsel Dorothy Frapwell and faculty representative Bruce Jaffee were asked to run the investigation and then recommend by Friday what steps the university should take.

"I fully understand the desire for us, by many people, to move quickly in bringing this situation to resolution," university president Michael McRobbie said. "We intend to do just that."

Indiana did not practice Thursday.

Players attended a regularly scheduled NCAA compliance meeting but declined to comment as they left Assembly Hall.

According to the contract signed in April 2006, Indiana pays Sampson an annual base salary of $500,000. The contract runs through the next five seasons.

Sampson's deal includes termination clauses for violations of university or NCAA rules that eliminate the payments.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=19098931
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A damn shame. Such a waste, but Sampson can blame nobody but himself.

If there was any doubt that this was EJ's only season, there isn't any longer.

So, will Dakich have any assistants under him, or is pretty much the entire rest of the coaching staff gone?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why a buy out? He broke his contract by cheating.

Shouldn't that void his contract and IU owe him nothing but a don't let the door hit you in the @ss?
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonder of Ray McCallum will be staying on or not. He is not named in the NCAA list of allegations, but has been a Sampson assistant for years.

I know this has been brought up on other boards, but is there any chance Scott Skiles would come on staff as an assistant this year?
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Scott has a home in Bloomington I hear but isn't he a bit harsh for today's college kid?

Now if we are going to stay with IU guys as coach candidates, there's this guy that was an IU assistant under Knight and has coaching experience. His name is Kyzhechevski or some such. Coaches on the east coast somewhere.
    I think we should go after him. Afterall, it IS IU and he did coach here........
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scott has a home in Bloomington I hear but isn't he a bit harsh for today's college kid?

Now if we are going to stay with IU guys as coach candidates, there's this guy that was an IU assistant under Knight and has coaching experience. His name is Kyzhechevski or some such. Coaches on the east coast somewhere.
    I think we should go after him. Afterall, it IS IU and he did coach here........
    Coach K was a player and assistant to Knight at Army. Plus I doubt he thinks to highly of us as an institution after what we did to his mentor.

Make no mistake, Dakich will have the interim coach title, but his job is basically just going to be to get the hell out of the way and let the team play the same way they have been all season.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

All I know is that even after IU official's denials, Nye was standing by his story. He only said on air that his source was someone that "would definitely know." I think McCallum will stay on because he wasn't named in any of the infractions, but Mayer is probably gone.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I heard on the radio that someone said that Scott wouldn't want to be a year round coach and he wouldn't want to recruit. True or not I have no idea.

As for that Coach K guy he's got that other gig that's going to play some game in China. If I was an IU fan I wouldn't want someone with a second job.

CBS: Players will walk
    • By Chris | Friday, February 22, 2008 at 3:40 am | No Comments »

Gary Parrish, the college basketball writer for CBSsports.com is reporting that several Indiana players threatened to quit the team during their meeting with Rick Greenspan Thursday night.

I’m going to go through the motions and tell you that we have been unable to confirm this report, and that it does not jibe with what we heard about the meeting in Greenspan’s office, which took place shortly after 7 p.m. and last about a half hour.

We have been told that the players were informed by Greenspan that no final decision on Sampson’s future had been made. The players then, in turn, shared their belief that Sampson should be allowed to coach the remainder of the season.

While our sources might have different takes on what happened, I cannot imagine that Parrish is throwing this out there unless he has it from a solid, trusted source.

Parrish also reports that his source told him that the university asked Sampson to resign Thursday night and that he declined and is “daring” the university to fire him.

heraldtimesonline
    http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

More on the threatened player walkout in it's own thread:
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...ad.php?t=37168

There have been some reports indicating Sampson might NOT be gone afterall... This certainly would explain the sudden about face and indecision.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden