Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Chance JO Will Opt Out After This Season?

Default Any Chance JO Will Opt Out After This Season?

I know it sounds absurd for someone to opt out of two remaining years @ $40 million, but don't forget JO said it would do just that last summer: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2963592

If he isn't traded today, let's say he comes back in March and plays out the last 4 weeks of the season to demonstrate his knee is healthy? What are the chances of him then opting out this summer and signing a 5-6 year deal with a contender?

Default Re: Any Chance JO Will Opt Out After This Season?

No.

None...none at all.

(OK, I guess stupider things have been done by professional athletes, but I just can't think of any that didn't involve drugs or women right at the moment.)

Quote Originally Posted by RSmits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it sounds absurd for someone to opt out of two remaining years @ $40 million, but don't forget JO said it would do just that last summer: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2963592

If he isn't traded today, let's say he comes back in March and plays out the last 4 weeks of the season to demonstrate his knee is healthy? What are the chances of him then opting out this summer and signing a 5-6 year deal with a contender?

It would be a bigger favor to the Pacers than anyone. If he opts out, I don't know if we can sign and trade him and get at least a couple of players or maybe picks.

You are right though he would be crazy unless his agent thinks he can get a 6 years 84 million instead of 2 year 42 millions and then will have to sign for some much lower after those 2 years. He would net more in the end. With JOs history he may think I have to get one last long contract, but I still think hes a fool to turn down that much over 2 yrs and no one would or could or should give him a big money, long term contract.

Actually, I think there's a chance, especially if he comes back fairly strong this year.

I think it was Will Galen who pointed this out in an other thread (whoever it was can back me up here) but financially it could make sense for JO to opt out.

Then again, I think JO thinks he's having an "off-year" and he'll come back strong over the next two years and earn a big contract in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by RSmits View Post

You're quoting the Sam Alipour article. After exchanging emails with him to get to the source of those "quotes", it became clear he's the only one who "heard" them. I would not listen to anything that article says.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    No.

None...none at all.

(OK, I guess stupider things have been done by professional athletes, but I just can't think of any that didn't involve drugs or women right at the moment.)

i don't think he will but i don't think its completely out of the question. if he could get a 4yr deal at a reduced yearly rate that equaled what he'd give up, wouldn't he have to jump on it for future security? shamsports lists the next 2 yrs at about $44mil ... if he could get what amounted to a new deal for 4yrs @ 10mil per (which most believe is about right for his current production) then he'd have to jump on it. so while unlikely there is a chance.
    This is the darkest timeline.

But could JO get 10mil/year in two years...more importantly, does he believe he could get 10 mil/year in two years?

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    i don't think he will but i don't think its completely out of the question. if he could get a 4yr deal at a reduced yearly rate that equaled what he'd give up, wouldn't he have to jump on it for future security? shamsports lists the next 2 yrs at about $44mil ... if he could get what amounted to a new deal for 4yrs @ 10mil per (which most believe is about right for his current production) then he'd have to jump on it. so while unlikely there is a chance.
    Why?

Why would anyone want to make $40 million in four years when they can make $44 million in two?

You realize he's allowed to sign another two year contract after the current one is up right? Assuming he remains MLE quality, that's like $56 over four years, no?

Seems more secure to me.

Unless you're talking about choosing his location. But we all know NBA players can never feel secure in location given the ever-present danger of trades. I mean, Vince and Kapono just signed last summer and already have no control of where they may soon be headed (if anyone will take them).

It is possible that he would either get bad advice or be willing to gamble on getting a long-term contract THAT WOULD PAY HIM MORE THAN THE $44 MILLION, but regarding your proposal:

Why would he do that? He'd give up $4 mil in undiscounted dollars, probably over $7 mil when you factor in the time value of money. It's a lose-lose proposition.

In no rational scenario does getting less money over a longer period of time enhance financial security.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Why?

Why would anyone want to make $40 million in four years when they can make $44 million in two?

You realize he's allowed to sign another two year contract after the current one is up right? Assuming he remains MLE quality, that's like $56 over four years, no?

Seems more secure to me.

Unless you're talking about choosing his location. But we all know NBA players can never feel secure in location given the ever-present danger of trades. I mean, Vince and Kapono just signed last summer and already have no control of where they may soon be headed (if anyone will take them).
    my point was just that there is a chance he opts out -- however unlikely -- much like you finding a woman you don't have to inflate. not that i'm judging.

though i do admit my explanation/example makes little sense.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    It is possible that he would either get bad advice or be willing to gamble on getting a long-term contract THAT WOULD PAY HIM MORE THAN THE $44 MILLION, but regarding your proposal:

Why would he do that? He'd give up $4 mil in undiscounted dollars, probably over $7 mil when you factor in the time value of money. It's a lose-lose proposition.

In no rational scenario does getting less money over a longer period of time enhance financial security.
    yeah sorry, i used a bad example, i was focusing too much on JO's current dollar amount and should have used more years or more dollars. my bad.

Just to pose a hypothetical question...

What if he finishes the season strongly, but the Pacers still want
    to move him. If they find a team that's a willing trade partner, can
    he opt-out w/ the Pacers than doing a sign-and-trade by signing
    him to a new deal of say, $60 mil over 5 yrs, which would make
    doing the deal under cap parameters easier for both sides ?

Or, if a player opts-out, can he only be resigned by a different
    team ?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

People act like nobody has ever signed for less than what they are worth (at least, in their own mind) to take a shot at a ring. You think Randy Moss signed with the patriots because they could offer him the most money... ?

Saying JO is "stupid" because he would opt out knowing he would lose money seems silly, JO probably has 5 times that much money sitting in the bank right now. I know if I had that kind of money I wouldn't give a flying **** what I was getting payed, I would be more worried about competing.

Not saying he will opt out, but it is not so ludicrous to believe he would IMO.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

The way I see it, if JO does opt out he'd be saving the Pacers $44M. And so what if the Pacers won't get another valued player in return. Listening to most of the fans here and on other message boards and blogs you'd trade him for a bag of chips anyway. So, what does it matter whether he walks and we get nothing for him or we trade him and get another role player and/or over paid player and/or draft picks?

Okay, so I'm being a bit smug here, but in all honesty I doubt JO opts out because no other team can after to pay him that kid of money for only 2 yrs! Myself, I'm all for getting this guy healthy and back on the court. And if he isn't traded today, I'm willing to bet he plays if not on Friday (2/22) then by early next week.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 02-21-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If JO read about Sprewell this past week then he should know letting go of secure money to chase nothing is not the way to go.

The odds are roughly the same as me living happily ever after with Sandra Bullock & the moon crashing into the earth.

my point was just that there is a chance he opts out -- however unlikely -- much like you finding a woman you don't have to inflate.
    Who's looking? We're in love.

JO imho: Will demand to be traded this summer if it doesn't happen in the next 2 hours. Best reason is that who will be under the cap enough to sign him at 15M a year? Only teams that are horrible! Next, if he doesn't opt out he could be traded to about anyone willing to give up some expiring contracts that has a possibility of contending.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

I'm all for keeping JO if we can't get what Bird thinks he's worth. After all in two years $23m would come off our cap.

Nobody answered my question. If a player opts-out, can his team
    sign him to a new, different deal or does it have to be another
    team ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    sign him to a new, different deal ?
    Yes.

Vince just did it. So did Kobe. Gilbert plans to. Marion might.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    sign him to a new, different deal or does it have to be another
    team ?
    same team can re-sign him. he is just opting out of his current deal. so getting more years or more money is mostly the goal. sometimes it is to play somewhere specific. but look at carter last summer. arenas plans to opt out but says he hopes to stay in DC -- just a business decision.

Tks guys. That opens up at least a sliver of a possibility of an
    opt-out and sign and trade with a less onerous $ number the
    next couple years.

His options are the following:

1) 21 million dollars to spend about 150 hours sitting in front row seats for 60-70 NBA games. That's $140,000 an hour for hanging out with friends and being entertained.

2) Opt out and sack groceries for $7.50/hr.

What do you think he will do?

No.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!