Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An interesting question...would you rather keep Freddie or Bender?

Default An interesting question...would you rather keep Freddie or Bender?

I know it is a little early to talk about something like this, but I thought it was a very valid question. Mainly because I believe people think Bender is god and Fred is a very good role player but not starting material.

Here is my stand on this:

I think it is funny how people here would rather keep Bender than Fred. If you think so, tell me why, because as someone mentioned (Peck I believe), EVERY YEAR we hear about Bender CAN be great this, Bender CAN be great that. Has he EVER consistantly shown that he can do so?

No.

Fred on the other hand has played well all year, and he has improved with his shot and defense tremendously. And by the look of it, he can improve a lot more.

Bender just looks confused everytime he is out there, and his intelligence on the knowhow of the game is horrendous. And people continue to say after 5 years that we will be great. How much longer should we wait for that?

Anyway, fire away.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Default Re: An interesting question...would you rather keep Freddie or Bender?

If I had to choose between the two considering what the Pacers most glaring needs are at this point in time....

Obviously Fred Jones is the keeper and Bender is trade filler.

LAPacer

Depends on who we get in return. I like both players, but I am still blinded by bender. Maybe I have been brainwashed.

Jones... since we could actually get something for Bender!

Joenes has also already shown more proficiency playing in the NBA than Bender has (though he has plenty of excuses)
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Jones hands down!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Keep them both.

But if I had to keep only one, I'd favor the guy 8 inches taller and 2 years younger. Yes, that is not a typo. Jonathan is two years younger than Fred.

It is a bit easier to finding 6'2" guards who can play really well, even if you insist on amazing athleticism, than 7'0" guys who can play 3 or 4 positions.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I love both these guys, but Freddie has shown more improvement in 2 years than Bendy has in 5. Then again, they're about the same age.

If Bender were to be traded to a garbage team and play lots of minutes, he'd become a star within a year. But it's going to take longer on our team, and right now, Freddie is a more valuable player.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Keep Bender trade Jones. But there's a catch (there always is) Ya gotta PLAY Bender. Give him the 6th man role and let him earn his lumps. No wait...those lumps would put him back on the IL wouldn't they!
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

If I had to choose between the two considering what the Pacers most glaring needs are at this point in time....

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

ditto

There are many ways to look at this question.

1) The first and most important question is who has more star potential? Bender does. Edge to Bender

2) What positions do they play. Jones is a shooting guard, and maybe at some timne down the road could play the point. Pacers need help at those positions. Bender plays SF and Pf, Pacers have plenty of depth there. Edge to Jones

3) Who has more trade value? I think both are very undervalued, and we know Dw is a big believer that it is a huge mistake to trade a guy to early in their career. Edge: tie

Those are three questions I ask myself when evaluating who should be traded. Overall I don't want either of them. Too soon, we don't know what we have, the league does not know either, so they are undervalued.

I hate to duck the question, but I would rather trade AL, we know what he is, the league knows what he is, and his trade value is higher than Bender or Freddie

1) The first and most important question is who has more star potential? Bender does. Edge to Bender

2) What positions do they play. Jones is a shooting guard, and maybe at some timne down the road could play the point. Pacers need help at those positions. Bender plays SF and Pf, Pacers have plenty of depth there. Edge to Jones

3) Who has more trade value? I think both are very undervalued, and we know Dw is a big believer that it is a huge mistake to trade a guy to early in their career. Edge: tie

Those are three questions I ask myself when evaluating who should be traded. Overall I don't want either of them. Too soon, we don't know what we have, the league does not know either, so they are undervalued.

I hate to duck the question, but I would rather trade AL, we know what he is, the league knows what he is, and his trade value is higher than Bender or Freddie

So put it this way. what could we get for a package of Al and Bender/Jones? An allstar calliber player? Or a very good role player?

Mood

UB I agree with your comments , the last comment I agree with Trade AL NOW

LAPacer

If the choice was, Bender, Jones, or Harrington. I choose to trade Harrinton as well.

How many years in the league does Bender need to play before we can say "What you see is what you get"?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

If the choice was, Bender, Jones, or Harrington. I choose to trade Harrinton as well.
    What if you had to give up all 3 for a Star SG ? Since AL is the only real value and Bender and Fred are undervalued ?

LAPacer

How many years in the league does Bender need to play before we can say "What you see is what you get"?

-Bball
    When he gets more than 25/mins a night consistently for a month.

Mood

-Bball
    I wonder the same also , I really wonder if bender is worth the risk of another year of IL and disappointment.

-Bball
    .... on two good legs.

In other words, probably never.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

-Bball
    Ditto....Forget years, realistically how many games has Jon B played?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

-Bball

One healthy season at this point, that is all we need. patience is a vitue

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

-Bball

I don't know, how many years did JO get before he started producing?
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

-Bball
    .... on two good legs.

In other words, probably never.
    Maybe he should drink Red Bull... I hear it'll give you wings....

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

So put it this way. what could we get for a package of Al and Bender/Jones? An allstar calliber player? Or a very good role player?

I don't know, if you read some reports maybe McGrady. I think it will take all three to get McGrady. And that might not do it either. Magic will want Artest or J.O to start the discussions

He would still be in college if he hadn't come out early.
    He probably would've had to redshirt at least a year with an injury :P

-Bball

------

-John Wooden