Thread: IndyStar: O'Brien expects no changes before deadline

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default IndyStar: O'Brien expects no changes before deadline

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080221/SPORTS04/802210503

O'Brien expects no changes before deadline
    With O'Neal, Tinsley injured, Pacers' Bird is finding it difficult to make a beneficial trade
    By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.co

Indiana Pacers coach Jim O'Brien believes he will be coaching the same group of players he began the season with come 3 p.m. today, which is the NBA trading deadline.

"That's my sense; this will be the group we will have," O'Brien said.

Team president Larry Bird will continue to work the phones up to the deadline as he tries to fix a team that could be on its way to missing the playoffs for the second straight season.

Bird is having a difficult time pulling off a trade because the two players the Pacers wouldn't mind moving -- Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley -- are both injured.

"Of course, you always wonder if you're going to get traded," said Pacers center Jeff Foster, who has been mentioned in some trade rumors. "It's human nature to wonder. It's part of the business, though."

After Wednesday night's loss to Cleveland, the Pacers are 21/2 games out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

"It is what it is," O'Brien said when asked about trying to reach the playoffs with the same group of players. "I happen to like coaching this group of players. I think they feel like they haven't played their best basketball. . . . If Larry and his group decide to make a change, we'll make that adjustment. If this is the group that has to fight it out for the playoffs, that's fine with me."

Sitting some more

The Pacers are losing and they've got a shortage of big men.

Still, Pacers forward Ike Diogu continues to be planted deep on the bench, and O'Brien has no intention of giving him significant minutes until he gets a better grasp of the offensive and defensive system.

"Like everybody has to, he has to earn minutes," O'Brien said, "executing schemes, executing what we want done. When people do that, then they increase their playing time. When you look at Ike, over the course of the whole year, offensively we struggle when Ike is on the floor. As a matter of fact, we're shooting under 40 percent. Our offense needs to flow in order to give us a best chance."

Diogu has played more than 10 minutes just once since the end of December. He had four points and one rebound in five minutes in Wednesday night's 106-97 loss to Cleveland.

Diogu is usually effective in the few minutes he plays because he has a sense for the ball in rebounding and he has a scorer's mentality, but O'Brien's system relies on ball movement and team defense.

"I think Ike will benefit greatly by being with the same coach for more than six months," O'Brien said. "One of the things I think has hurt Ike is he has had four coaches in less than four years."

No increase in prices

The Pacers, who are last in the league in attendance, will not raise season ticket prices next season.

Lower-level season tickets start at $3,195. Upper-level season tickets start at $450. More than 2,800 tickets will be available for $10, and more than 8,000 will be available for $25 or less at each home game.

Harrison hurting

Center David Harrison joined Tinsley and O'Neal in street clothes Wednesday with a right ankle injury. The Pacers don't have a timetable for Harrison's return.

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

Default Re: IndyStar: O'Brien expects no changes before deadline

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "When you look at Ike, over the course of the whole year, offensively we struggle when Ike is on the floor. As a matter of fact, we're shooting under 40 percent. Our offense needs to flow in order to give us a best chance."
    We're shooting less than 40% when Ike is on the floor? I probably wouldn't play him either then.

We're ****ed.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Jim throws Ike a bone...
    "I think Ike will benefit greatly by being with the same coach for more than six months," O'Brien said. "One of the things I think has hurt Ike is he has had four coaches in less than four years."
    I'm sure that's all it is...

ps - Could be actually, I'm just saying it also has a kid gloves aspect to it as well

On the bright side.... if we keep playing like we have been, we'll get a good draft pick!!!

Rather that draft pick amounts to anything is a different story?

Sports Logo

Oh well....I think at least this time it looks like Bird tried to move 2 of the more immoveable player on the roster.

I know that all of it will likely amount to nothing....but at least this season it appears that Bird tried to do something.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh well....I think at least this time it looks like Bird tried to move 2 of the more immoveable player on the roster.

I know that all of it will likely amount to nothing....but at least this season it appears that Bird tried to do something.
    Yes, but how much did he really try? "What? You still won't give us Chris Bosh for Jermaine? How many years is this gonna take?"
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

"Everyone" assumes that's how Larry Bird deals, but no one knows that.

To be honest, there are really no good players out there. . . I don't think we would have gotten a fair shake if we dealt a healthy Jermaine O'neal.

If anything Jermaine is going to get traded in the offseason. But I just don't see anything good coming from it.

Too bad we couldn't get rid of Murphy in that Juan Dixon deal lol. Raptors look our way next time
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes