Percentages: .438 .375 .900 Team Rebounds: 7
    Game Info
    Technical Fouls: Indiana - D. Granger 1
    Arena: Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cavs/Pacers Post-Game 54: LeBron jumping over Diener is a foul

On the bright side:

(a) we may gain some ground tonight in the lotto race, and
    (b) congrats to Danny for breaking Reggie's FT streak and dropping another cool 30.

Banned

(c) Stacy Paetz looks very good tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the bright side:

(a) we may gain some ground tonight in the lotto race, and
    (b) congrats to Danny for breaking Reggie's FT streak and dropping another cool 30.
    Did Danny get his first NBA technical tonight? For those who didn't see the game Danny went up for a dunk and someone clearly got his arm, but a foul wasn't called. Danny give the ref an earful and got a tech.

And by "someone clearly got his arm" you mean Larry Hughes damn-near shattered his ulna.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Did Danny get his first NBA technical tonight? For those who didn't see the game Danny went up for a dunk and someone clearly got his arm, but a foul wasn't called. Danny give the ref an earful and got a tech.
    I think so. Even the nicest guy in the world can only put up with so much crap before he snaps.

Banned

I believe it was LeBron. You could say he got away with a couple of questionable calls tonight.

Let's hope Danny has just had enough at this point. All he needs is a mean streak...

You just can't win in the NBA without a "superstar". The benefits that Cleveland got because of Lebron are just too obvious to ignore. Without one, you'll lose nearly every close game because the other team will get the benefit. The no call on the Granger missed dunk...horrible....the Lebron jump on Diener foul put on the no name Diener. etc.

When we won 61 games, we had Artest, Miller and O'Neal....all players at that time worthy of "superstar" status. We won lots of games til the F-up in Detroit because we had players that were "known". We have nobody now....Granger is close, but not identifiable at this point.

I guess the hole fixing games and as my theory goes...calling games for entertainment purposes vs. following th rules wasn't affected that much by Donaghy. I was hoping all the game fixing (controlling is more accurate) was going to come out, but I guess Stern has more power than Goodell and MLB to keep the dirty laundry under wraps.

Water

And people wonder why the NFL is more popular. The NBA is a very poorly run league. Stern needs fired, he is a joke.
    No matter how much success Larry Bird attains in Indiana he'll never top that first command to fire Thomas. -Peter Vecsey. NY Post 12/4/07

The game was like that all night, i.e., LeBron all over Deiner's back while going for a rebound; Deiner holds his position and yet HE'S called for the foul. And that's just one of quite a few rather obvious non-calls that didn't go the Pacers way tonight. I'm not blaming the refs; the Pacers clearly had their chances to take the lead, but when you've don't get the benefit of home cooking like you should on your home court...

It's definitely an uphill battle for my boyz the rest of the way.

Sidenote: I don't expect the Pacers to make a trade by the deadline. If not, JO and Tinsley had better be back in the lineup next week! I'm mean, JOB, if you're so willing to play him gimpin' w/no practise. Does it make any sense to hold him out when by all reports his injury has healed you're just looking for "practise time" for him to get back into game shape? Doesn't make much sense does it?
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 02-20-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Will anybody on this team ever make a shot during crunch time?

Will anybody on this team, outside Granger maybe, look like they even want to take a shot during crunch time? Most of 'em just look like they're trying to find somebody to pass it to so they don't have to do anything agressive.

Hope it's just part of their maturation as a young team. Another way to look at it is they can't make a big shot and they never will.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

The game was lost when danny was fouled on the dunk and didnt get the call. It cost us 2 points then. 1 point on the technical down the court. Then 2 points on the free throws. That is a 5 point spread which really cost the team. Then on top of that the lebron superstar call was just a joke.

We lack mental toughness. We need a player that when we get a lead, can help us keep our lead and keep our composure. That is something we do not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    (c) Stacy Paetz looks very good tonight.
    PICS???????

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Obviously the refs were awful tonight, no denying that. My focus in watching these games has been Danny's development, so I was quite pleased with the game tonight. I want to see Danny continue to play the way he did tonight on both ends, because I think he is very close to taking his game to the next level. Over the last couple weeks I have changed my mind on him. I haven't ever really thought he was a guy that would be the best or second best player on just about every team in the league, but I think he does have that potential and is starting to realize it. He needs to continue to build confidence and tonight was a good game for that, he was with LeBron step for step tonight.

wow the two most important quarters we get killed in. I love it!
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Obviously the refs were awful tonight, no denying that. My focus in watching these games has been Danny's development, so I was quite pleased with the game tonight. I want to see Danny continue to play the way he did tonight on both ends, because I think he is very close to taking his game to the next level. Over the last couple weeks I have changed my mind on him. I haven't ever really thought he was a guy that would be the best or second best player on just about every team in the league, but I think he does have that potential and is starting to realize it. He needs to continue to build confidence and tonight was a good game for that, he was with LeBron step for step tonight.

I wonder if danny is happy here in Indiana. With his abilities he will get calls from just about every team in the league and I am sure alot of people will be willing to offer him a TON of money. I hope the pacers are wiling to spend the money because I would hate to lose him.

This team needs to work on defense. Then work on some more defense. After that, work on defense some more. The coaches need to simplify things as much as possible, and then they need to work with what we have. Defense... Defense... Defense...

Our defense is atrocious. It's awful. We're not winning anything with this defense.

And we need to learn to block out... Travis Diever and Lebron play not withstanding...

Am I happy with the offense? No... But defense should be a constant and the only thing constant about it now is that we are a sieve. The opposing team can put tape on the floor marking their 'spots' and we could put a bell on the jumpshooters and they'd STILL be wide open if something isn't changed.

And the offense needs slowed down. It does NOT need to be ISO ball but it needs some function and form and it also needs to take into account our atrocious defense.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

That's the first T I remember Danny getting. It was an understandable T and it was great to see him fired up on the floor (in a good way). I believe LeBron missed the T FT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I believe LeBron missed the T FT.
    Correct. It was O'Brien's T that they hit their T FT.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I saw it and am still wondering what DG did to get the T...afterall you KNOW it wasn't his language that earned it. I don't believe he'd say **** if he had a mouthful of it.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This team needs to work on defense. Then work on some more defense. After that, work on defense some more. The coaches need to simplify things as much as possible, and then they need to work with what we have. Defense... Defense... Defense...

Our defense is atrocious. It's awful. We're not winning anything with this defense.

And we need to learn to block out... Travis Diever and Lebron play not withstanding...

Am I happy with the offense? No... But defense should be a constant and the only thing constant about it now is that we are a sieve. The opposing team can put tape on the floor marking their 'spots' and we could put a bell on the jumpshooters and they'd STILL be wide open if something isn't changed.

-Bball

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/prof...emthabeet.html

I believe this would be a start to the turn-around. Thabeet and then a defensive minded
    point guard. Tinsley and Diener are both poor defenders. You might get away with one but not two poor defending points.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I'd have to watch a replay, I guess - I thought the T was on the ticky-tack foul called on the Pacers after the non-call arm slam at the other end. I thought the phrasing was probably "How about calling them the same way at both ends", which was a T since it was a Pacer asking - unlike (unremembered player from the Cavs, possibly Hughes) getting into a ref's face in the first half and getting away with it.

I remember being very glad Jim got the T as well. Sometimes you have to stand up for your players even if it costs a point. And, to be honest, those two points in and of themselves were not the problem at all.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

That's the first T I remember Danny getting. It was an understandable T and it was great to see him fired up on the floor (in a good way). I believe LeBron missed the T FT.
    Didn't he miss it twice?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

His rookie year he had at least 1 in a game vs Cleveland IIRC. Both he and Foster got in a dust up with some Cavs I think. I need to go look to be sure.

The reason I recall this was because I was defending Jack when he clearly improved his tech issue that season, going from some 5-6 in the first 2 months to almost none after getting one for some questionable calls while playing the always frustrating Kobe. His next one after several weeks was in this same game, but it was for the ultra-lame "touching the ball after it went through the net" delay of game.

I think DG and Foster were into it with Sideshow Bob IIRC. The contrast of the two nice guys getting into a scrap while the thug was getting the lamest non-confrontational tech was my point at the time.

edit:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=260124005

It wasn't Hari-i-zho, it was Newble and Gooden I think.

2nd edit:
    Danny has another one this year, but I don't recall it. That gives him a whopping 3 in nearly 3 seasons. Freaking milk drinker.

On Danny's game
    His game has stepped up since JO has been out. I was waiting till post-trade deadline to start a thread discussing just that. I think he's had an issue of understanding his role when JO is playing, especially on offense. If JO stays and is healthy this needs to be sorted out.

And of course after the first week of the season I think I noted that Danny is Pippen. But seriously, the point on that comparison all along has been that Pippen was a SLOW developer. He didn't start at anything close to the level he reached.

Danny had no passing, got lost on defense, and couldn't drive the ball at the start of this season. He's made huge improvements in driving it AND drawing fouls, something Shawne was way ahead of him in just a few months ago. His defensive awareness also seems to be improving, naturally.

And lately I think he's been working on the passing. Note that great first quarter pass the the icy cold Dunleavy who promptly blew the assist by missing the wide open jumper.

I can't agree that he's not athletic enough to be pretty strong. The Pippen comparisons stem directly from a similar body type and movement IMO. He's a bit more PF to Pippen's SG slant on the SF position, but I honestly don't see them as world's apart.

You think if Dun was Jordan that Danny wouldn't be looking pretty freaking good right about now?
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-21-2008 at 10:08 AM.