Thread: Pacers Fielding Offers For J.O

Default Pacers Fielding Offers For J.O

The Indianapolis Star -
    The Pacers are fielding offers for Jermaine O'Neal once again and have reportedly spoken to Golden State, New Jersey and Sacramento about the All-Star forward, according to The Indianapolis Star.

O'Neal can opt out of his contract at the end of the season, negating the final two years of his deal with Indiana.

Default Re: Pacers Fielding Offers For J.O

Pacers have been trying to trade JO for several seasons now as have they been trying to trade JT for even longer - just because they haven't traded them doesn't mean they haven't been trying. (the problem is their value keeps getting lower and lower

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We are trying to trade J.O.!!!! How can this be! This came out of nowhere for me.

Just teasing.

Never in my life have I wanted JO to be traded...except now. Its so weird because he and Reggie got me to be a huge Pacers fan. I felt horrible when Reggie retired, and Im gonna feel the same way if and when JO is traded. However....

A.)He's always injured
    B.)We are rebuilding
    C.)Even if he comes back and does great, he wont resign.

If you do the equation A+B+C=D
    then D would equal trade him. I know everyone knows we should trade JO, Im just stating how I feel. I hope we trade him and get some good young players out of this...If we trade with New Jersey we could get Marcus Williams, Sacramento we could get Salmons, and Golden State (Boy I would want to get Monte Ellis but I know that is a dream) we could get...maybe...Brandon Wright.
    The eyes of the Granger are upon you.

[quote=pacers20;659221]The Indianapolis Star -
    The Pacers are fielding offers for Jermaine O'Neal once again and have reportedly spoken to Golden State, New Jersey and Sacramento about the All-Star forward, according to The Indianapolis Star.

We'd better be talking with Miami, at least as part of a 3-way since it sounds like they're not afraid of JO or JT type contracts. They've got some nice expiring contracts, but not much else, hence the need for a 3-way.

In other news, buffalo wings are delicious.

the trade deadline is near, jo is being discussed, it's snowing in Indiana. blah blah blah. We'll probably have the exact same roster come Thursday night!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm calling my shot now...

J.O. will not be traded this season or during this summer. If, I'm wrong so be it. I just don't think TPTB are ready to give up on JO just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought I read today that New Jersey isn't concerned about JO's knee....

I guess they see him more as an expiring contract, which we should too.

The closer he gets to expiring, the more valuable he becomes.

It is interesting that Miami isn't afraid of long contracts. Would they be interested in Tinsley, if they can't get one of the other PGs on the market? Could a team like Cleveland, NY, Denver, Boston, or Houston also be interested?

JO WILL NOT...LEAVE THE MONEY ON THE TABLE. IF HE OPTS OUT HE'S LEAVING A LOT OF MONEY...I DOUBT HE WOULD.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

when will he ever learn? underwave's Avatar

when is the trade deadline exactly? or
    when was the trade deadline of 2008?

some folks here in S.Korea are telling me it was 20,Feb 3pm ET(which is 21,Feb 5am in S.Korea) but i saw on the web somewhere(not sure where though) it is 21,Feb 3pm ET(you do the math). am i wrong or there's still one day left.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Indiana trades him to golden state they're almost certainly taking back Al Harrington...

Seriously. That should never happen. 2 times should be enough...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by underwave View Post
    when is the trade deadline exactly? or
    when was the trade deadline of 2008?

some folks here in S.Korea are telling me it was 20,Feb 3pm ET(which is 21,Feb 5am in S.Korea) but i saw on the web somewhere(not sure where though) it is 21,Feb 3pm ET(you do the math). am i wrong or there's still one day left.
    We are at T-minus 23 hours and 5 min. until the deadline, riiiiiiiight.....NOW!

I think for us in Indy its 3 p.m Thursday the 21 st.

when will he ever learn? underwave's Avatar

Thanks guys. i woke up at 4 am just to set the trade deadline straight.lol

i know it's hard to make a deal considering our roster situation/salary/contract. it's just horrible. well i guess we all know that, though.

the thing is, if we can't ship them out let's just bring back the old style. Good old Half Court Balling with breath taking D's. I say why not. Either make JOB to coach how we used to play ball or hire someone else. just my thoughts typing on 5 am in the morning. not sure i'm sleep typing or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    If Indiana trades him to golden state they're almost certainly taking back Al Harrington...

You're forgetting that this is the same team that has found Courtney Sims important enough to sign and cut like 20 times this season.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

Well there are a few things in play here that alter it I think.

First Al was frustrated by Rick. Now as Rick fan I can't help but notice that Al's struggling with Nellie too (ahem, Saras/Ike anyone). Not sure you could expect it to go much better with JOB EXCEPT that he'd get to bomb from 3 ala Shawne and Troy despite iffy defense.

Second, the point is to reduce a single salary hit on the books, split that up to something manageable. Moving JO for any deal like this helps that aspect.

Third would be the chance at some other prospect they might offer. Just like Almond makes the potential Foster deal more interesting (with a pick too).

To me Al becomes the necessary evil of the situation created by JO's contract/injuries. The same as Vince's contract if you don't work a 3 way.

You don't solve a damn thing with 1 or 2 deals, even if it's Tins-JO going out the door. Not even if it's Tins-JO-Troy going out the door. You are taking contracts back, you aren't going to get a top 5 pick, and you aren't going to get anything close to a major game changer that you can lean on.

This is just supposed to be step 1 in a LONG process to get this F'd up situation back under control. You aren't going to get all the salary of the books right away or get a ton of young star prospects or anything else that people around here seem to consider the "first" sign of a rebuild.

They can't tear out the foundation till they get the rotten walls torn out and haul that debris away. I think we need to really get used to perhaps 2-3 more 30-35 win seasons after this one.

Then again who knows, Walsh once traded aging Herb Williams for soon-to-be AS and twice 6th man Detlef, so I guess anything can happen. It won't, but it could. Just like JayRedd MIGHT start trusting Canadians.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-20-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Banned

Monta Ellis is just completely unrealistic. It's never going to happen. However I'd imagine their Italian rookie, Marco Belinelli, would be a possibility. If any deal with the Warriors went down, I'd demand both Marco and O'Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    Monta Ellis is just completely unrealistic. It's never going to happen. However I'd imagine their Italian rookie, Marco Belinelli, would be a possibility. If any deal with the Warriors went down, I'd demand both Marco and O'Bryant.

Belinelli or Brandon Wright or both would be nice prospects.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does O'Bryant really still have value? Hasn't Nellie basically said how useless he is? I might be remembering wrong, but I thought I read somewhere Nellie talking about how O'Bryant really doesn't do much of anything well.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Well there are a few things in play here that alter it I think.

First Al was frustrated by Rick. Now as Rick fan I can't help but notice that Al's struggling with Nellie too (ahem, Saras/Ike anyone). Not sure you could expect it to go much better with JOB EXCEPT that he'd get to bomb from 3 ala Shawne and Troy despite iffy defense.

Second, the point is to reduce a single salary hit on the books, split that up to something manageable. Moving JO for any deal like this helps that aspect.

Third would be the chance at some other prospect they might offer. Just like Almond makes the potential Foster deal more interesting (with a pick too).

To me Al becomes the necessary evil of the situation created by JO's contract/injuries. The same as Vince's contract if you don't work a 3 way.

You don't solve a damn thing with 1 or 2 deals, even if it's Tins-JO going out the door. Not even if it's Tins-JO-Troy going out the door. You are taking contracts back, you aren't going to get a top 5 pick, and you aren't going to get anything close to a major game changer that you can lean on.

This is just supposed to be step 1 in a LONG process to get this F'd up situation back under control. You aren't going to get all the salary of the books right away or get a ton of young star prospects or anything else that people around here seem to consider the "first" sign of a rebuild.

They can't tear out the foundation till they get the rotten walls torn out and haul that debris away. I think we need to really get used to perhaps 2-3 more 30-35 win seasons after this one.

Then again who knows, Walsh once traded aging Herb Williams for soon-to-be AS and twice 6th man Detlef, so I guess anything can happen. It won't, but it could. Just like JayRedd MIGHT start trusting Canadians.

I completely agree

our first priority should be exchanging our problematic contracts with tradable ones. Even if JO was in top form and we decided it was time to rebuild- it would still be exceptionally difficult to move him.

if we had all these trade rumours as concrete offers to choose from I would deffinitely talk to the Nets about Carter. His contract is quite comfortable for the next 2-3 years and he's still a very good player whose value is much higher around the league than JO's- which means he's much more likely to be taken for something we really need (young talent/picks/expirings)from a team which wants to compete in the present.

Banned

He's played in a whopping 208 minutes in his career, so anything Nellie has against him has to stem from practice. Of course Nelson has a history of bullying players, so I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

I'd be willing to give O'Bryant a chance. He's completely unproven, but that works both for him and against him. Sure he hasn't proven anything positive, but he's not been given the time to prove he's garbage either. Worst case scenario, he could be our new, 100% drug free David Harrison. Best case scenario, who knows, he could end up a pretty good center that's been misused. If the Warriors were willing to throw in rookie Belinelli, it'd have to be tempting. You get Al, who can help immediately, and two decent prospects to work with for the future.