Thread: Only reason why Pistons won the Series.

t-Bone

Default Re: Only reason why Pistons won the Series.

yes we were injured, we saw how imporant JT is to the team this year. but its not why we lost the series.

with the talk of the rasheed trade still around.

How much of a difference do you guys think he made? be honest.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Injuries were a huge reason we lost. HUGE!! After watching JO's start to game 4, making just about every shot, getting tons of rebounds and blocking shot coming his way....we were on our way to the finals....then disaster hits.

Our incredible season went down the drain the second Wallace undercuts O'neal on a rebound and (I'll give Wallace the benefit of the doubt) he tears up his knee. That replay made me sick to my stomach. I have no idea how he kept playing. Knees aren't supposed to bend BACKWARD!

The Pistons barely beat us with our best player on one leg and our quarterback playing with a torn hamstring!! This is why I'm glad we lost last night, because we would have ZERO chance against the Lakers without JO and Tins. JO's last game of the season was last night regardless of a win or a loss.

Bottom line. Injuries are a part of the game and many a team has fallen short due to them. See Sacremento with Webber 2 years ago, Cassell and Minnesota, Kidd and Jersey this year to name a few.

Water

You laugh, but how close did we come to forcing game 7 without Tinsley? How long in this series did we go with a crippled Tinsley (Answer if you don't count game 6: 3 games). Injuries were significant. You can write it off as "part of the game", but I don't think you can just and pretend it didn't make a big difference.

LAPacer

Yeah, Kstat, I thought you wouldn't rub the salt into the gashing wound. Us, Pacer fans, need some somthing to blame. Kinda like how Phil blames the stars didn't align correctly for a particular game.

Nerd.
    Mood

Of coure it's the Injurys we had it's simple to say it because a Healthy JO would've been unstoppable a healthy Tinsley would've been a Factor. I ain't making up Excuses but you know everyone healthy we would've go to the Finals it just sucks how you lose while you had a Chance, a big kick in the mouth because this Series would've been easy with a Healthy team.
    Not the only reason, but it did play a part in the losses.

To say that it was the ONLY reason the Pacers lost is ridiculous, absurd, stupid, naive, ignorant, dumb, assinine, etc.

Yeah. It wasn't the ONLY reason. But I think anyone who's honest with themselves will admit things could have been very different without them.

Game 5 was too pathetic to blame the series loss on injuries. Every team has some, though having your MVP at half-speed doesn't help at ALL.

If they'd played game 5 like they had a clue I might feel differently but that was THE key game to the series - everyone knew going in that whoever won had a huge advantage - and the Pacers played like crap.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Game 5 was too pathetic to blame the series loss on injuries. Every team has some, though having your MVP at half-speed doesn't help at ALL.

If they'd played game 5 like they had a clue I might feel differently but that was THE key game to the series - everyone knew going in that whoever won had a huge advantage - and the Pacers played like crap.
    This is true; it was a sad effort.

injuries were on the list of reasons, along with many other reasons:

1-poor decision making by Ron Artest (turnovers, bad shots, flagrant foul)
    2-inability to contain Rip Hamilton
    3-inability or unwillingness to generate "early offense"
    4-inconsistent play of #3 scoring option Al Harrington
    5-inconsistent production from the 5 position
    6-inconsistent production from the 2 position
    7-injury to JO
    8-injury to JT

I'll let others rank the relative importance of these factors, but I'd rank them: #2, #7, #1, #3, #8, #4, #6, #5 in order of most important to least important
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

injuries were on the list of reasons, along with many other reasons:

1-poor decision making by Ron Artest (turnovers, bad shots, flagrant foul)
    2-inability to contain Rip Hamilton
    3-inability or unwillingness to generate "early offense"
    4-inconsistent play of #3 scoring option Al Harrington
    5-inconsistent production from the 5 position
    6-inconsistent production from the 2 position
    7-injury to JO
    8-injury to JT

I'll let others rank the relative importance of these factors, but I'd rank them: #2, #7, #1, #3, #8, #4, #6, #5 in order of most important to least important

you pretty much summed up my list , we could have still won this series if we haddone # 1-6

7-8 didn't help but we had guys who just disappeared on us in the playoffs.

LAPacer

Like Shaq said "I don't believe in ifs..."

If there were no injuries.

If Reggie dunked it.

If they played with more energy.

If we only drafted NVExel instead of Scott Haskin, we would've had that guy who can created his shot.

If my last name was "Jeremy"

Rick on his radio show was still very disappointed in their game #5 effort and performance. Other than that game he said he has no problem with the effort, intensity....of his team. he said game #5 they were not themselves.

You laugh, but how close did we come to forcing game 7 without Tinsley? How long in this series did we go with a crippled Tinsley (Answer if you don't count game 6: 3 games). Injuries were significant. You can write it off as "part of the game", but I don't think you can just and pretend it didn't make a big difference.
    I don't laugh because I completely disagree, Hicks. I laugh because I really dont care. It just not worth my time to seriously debate every little "Pacers are the better team they only lost because they were injured waaaaaaah" thread that pops up.

Injuries are a natural part of the game. They happen every year. We had to deal with crushing injuries last year, and half of the ECF this year, and so did you.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

The injuries were obviously a factor... that and Detroit was the better and more poised team.

So we are left with a phrase as popular in Indy as "Andretti is slowing on the backstretch". That phrase is "Wait'll next year"

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't laugh because I completely disagree, Hicks. I laugh because I really dont care. It just not worth my time to seriously debate every little "Pacers are the better team they only lost because they were injured waaaaaaah" thread that pops up.

Injuries are a natural part of the game. They happen every year. We had to deal with crushing injuries last year, and half of the ECF this year, and so did you.
    See, but it does make a difference when talking about moves we need to make over the summer.

If the only hurdle was injuries, say, then there would be no need to make any kind of change to the team other than making sure folks heal (JO staying out of the Olympics would be crucial) and getting good competent backups to step in should more injuries occur.

If injuries were only a small part of it, then we need to make changes to the layout of the team or even the entire philosophy of it (to be drastic).

The balance of the two determines just how much change is "enough".

You can discuss the effect of injuries without necessarily "whining" about the outcome. Future strategy depends on the assesment of the impact of injuries.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh