Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IU vs. PU

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: IU vs. PU

Quote Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disagree.

being a home game for IU, the refs were all for calling Purdue on any contact.

Although I missed half of the game, the fouls that I saw called were mostly for IU and mostly BS.

but then again, it may just be fan perspective.
    DJ was getting pushed and held most of the night, and a couple of the fouls called on him were laughable.

No offense, but you should probably watch the entire game before commenting on the officiating.

There's really no excuse for this loss other than getting outplayed. Purdue's shot selection was horrible all night, and Indiana impressed me a lot with theirs. The games I'd seen of them it seemed like if they hit a few threes they got trigger happy but that didn't happen tonight. If you shoot 35% from the field and 55% or so from the FT line on the road you deserve to lose. It was somewhat encouraging the way Purdue kept it close with their defense even when their shots weren't falling.

And I've just gotta say, I love everything about Robbie Hummel. He's such a versatile player and just knows how to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    And I've just gotta say, I love everything about Robbie Hummel. He's such a versatile player and just knows how to play the game.
    He's no Eric Gordon though. What a game!

I have to congratulate IU on this win. They played a great defensive game. I've watched just about every Purdue game this year, and the only other time I remember their offense looking that bad was in the second half against Missouri when they blew a huge lead. Once Purdue was able to get their offense going a bit, IU was able to answer just about every time.

In the end, the game was won and lost at the free throw line. The calls were a bit namby-pamby for my taste, but they were equally bad both ways. Purdue shot an atrocious 11-21 (52%) from the line. That's 23% below their season average. IU was 30-34 (88%). The disparity was made larger by all the stupid fouls at the end by Purdue after the game was out of reach. If Purdue had shot better and made 4-5 more, the game would have been close at the end.

The other huge factor was DJ White. He played great. I knew he'd be a problem and he was. I love the guys that Painter's brought in, but this team really needs a Brad Miller/Steve Scheffler type for games like this.

I thought that Hummel and Martin acquitted themselves very well. JaJuan Johnson was good also when he wasn't in foul trouble. E'Tuan Moore was terrible. I think his breakout game against Northwestern may have ruined him. He's trying to force things too much and he's not playing within the offense. Marcus Green and Crump always take stupid shots, so I'm used to that.

Kramer did a great job on Gordon in the first half. In reality, most of Gordon's points came from the line. He did a nice job attacking the basket and getting fouled when he wasn't getting any open looks.

It was a great game. Purdue didn't play their best game, but I think that IU deserves a lot of credit for that. All of the Boilers' flaws were on display, but they were able to use their defense to stay in the game. The loss hurts, but there's nothing to get too upset about for Purdue fans.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like I said before, Purdue is a team that can beat anyone if they're hitting their shots. Fortunately, they weren't last night.

But PU's future certainly looks brighter than IU's right now. It could have been much different if Sampson hadn't screwed up so badly, but now I have a feeling we're going to be struggling trying to round up a coach and some recruits for the next couple of seasons, not to mention any sanctions we may get nailed with. I doubt Ebanks comes here now, and I honestly wouldn't blame him if he decides not to.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Anywhere where I can find this game online?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Marcus Green and Crump always take stupid shots, so I'm used to that.
    Speaking of stupid shots, can someone convince Calasan to stop that awful jacking from 3-point range?

I'm not sure he got pulled for that, but he should have. And that hurt the Boilers; with Calasan, they played White straight up early just like they did with Shaun Pruitt. Without him, it mandated a double.

And agree on Crump ... Purdue will be better with Lewis Jackson in his role next season. He'll also be better suited to defended the Armon Bassetts and Kalin Lucases.

Green ... well, he just has to stop it, because he can be useful on the glass and defensively.