Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 91

Thread: Eric Gordon FTW!

  1. #51
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's already been proven by both video evidence and in a court of law as a total crock on the refs part. Of course the anti-Mayo people will ignore facts and run it into the ground.
    What are you talking about?

    Proven as a crock? For assualt yes, but he was originally suspended two games, then a temp. restraining order was signed allowing him to play while it was further investigated.

    Later that restraining order was lifted and he was suspended a total of FIVE games for the same incident.

    Hmmmm, went from a two game suspension to a five game suspension but it was a total crock that the anti-Mayo people use and ignore the facts?

  2. #52

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Kofi-

    So, you have vivid memories of Dwayne Wade as a freshman at
    Marquette do you ?

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are you talking about?

    Proven as a crock? For assualt yes, but he was originally suspended two games, then a temp. restraining order was signed allowing him to play while it was further investigated.

    Later that restraining order was lifted and he was suspended a total of FIVE games for the same incident.

    Hmmmm, went from a two game suspension to a five game suspension but it was a total crock that the anti-Mayo people use and ignore the facts?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/30/sp...ts&oref=slogin

    However, DUE TO ALLEGATIONS SUPPORTED BY VIDEO EVIDENCE THAT LAZO HAD OVERREACTED AND FAKED THE INCIDENT, a temporary restraining order was signed by Cabell County Circuit Court Judge Dan O'Hanlan, temporarily lifting the suspensions on Mayo and five other players suspended due to incidents at that game.
    But video evidence that the ref overreacted and faked the incident is completely irrelevant, eh?

    While we're grasping at straws, what about Eric Gordon committing to Illinois, getting their fans hopes up, then pulling out and coming to I.U.? Seems his loyalty is as questionable as his size. I'd shy away from those types of players, especially when they're proven to be undersized and one-dimensional.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kofi-

    So, you have vivid memories of Dwayne Wade as a freshman at
    Marquette do you ?
    And stats to analyze. Wade was light years ahead of where Gordon's at, doing it all and then some. Gordon is a dominant scorer, nothing more. The question is, will he be a dominant scorer in the NBA? Given his suspect size and ball handling, I'm not sold. Of course, being an Indy kid, most of the locals here will refuse to accept any possibility that Gordon isn't the second coming of Christ, so it's pointless to even debate it.
    Last edited by Kofi; 02-19-2008 at 04:46 PM.

  4. #54
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/30/sp...ts&oref=slogin



    But video evidence that the ref overreacted and faked the incident is completely irrelevant, eh?
    I guess him serving a suspension for the incident is irrelevant, eh?

    If it was a crock and he didn't do anything wrong, then why would he be suspended?

    He missed three games in total but only because they ordered that his two game suspension be served concurrently. So he was actually suspended TWICE for the same incident your trying to play off as nothing.

    CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- O.J. Mayo, considered by many to be the country's top high school basketball player, will miss three games as punishment for being ejected and making contact with a referee in a Jan. 26 game.

    The two-week suspension, retroactive to Feb. 3, was agreed to by Mayo's attorney, the Secondary School Activities Commission and Huntington High School.

    Mayo called the suspension fair.

    "I guess we have to serve whatever penalty we got, accept the consequences and move on," Mayo told reporters after a hearing in Cabell County Circuit Court in Huntington on an injunction that postponed sanctions for Mayo's actions.

    Mayo's attorney, Mike Woelfel, said the player will serve the suspension during a home game Saturday against George Washington, on Monday at Parkersburg and Thursday against Scott County, Ky.

    The suspension will allow Mayo to play in the Mountain State Athletic Conference championship on Feb. 19 and in a game against St. Patrick, N.J. (18-1), the No. 1 team in USA Today's national boys high school poll. Huntington (16-1) is ranked sixth.

    "I am happy. There had to be some closure to this," Woelfel said.

    Mayo can attend school, practice and games during the suspension, and the SSAC agreed to have an automatic two-game suspension run concurrently with a three-game suspension imposed by the Huntington principal Greg Webb.

    After referee Mike Lazo called two technical fouls on Mayo on Jan. 26, Mayo came into contact with him, causing the referee to fall to the floor as he approached the scorer's table, according to Lazo.

    "O.J. understands how he should represent himself and the school," Webb said. "He's in agreement that that particular night, he didn't uphold to what he's expected to do."

    Mike Hayden, the SSAC's executive director, was on vacation. Assistant director Gary Ray said the SSAC is "in agreement with the principal and the direction he is going."

    One of the nation's top seniors who transferred this season from Cincinnati's North College Hill, Mayo signed a letter of intent in November to play next season at Southern California.

    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2760432

    OJ and his lawyer both admitted that what he did was wrong, so why can't you?

  5. #55

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Gordon should stay in school
    Come quietly or there will be... trouble.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess him serving a suspension for the incident is irrelevant, eh?

    If it was a crock and he didn't do anything wrong, then why would he be suspended?

    He missed three games in total but only because they ordered that his two game suspension be served concurrently. So he was actually suspended TWICE for the same incident your trying to play off as nothing.


    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2760432

    OJ and his lawyer both admitted that what he did was wrong, so why can't you?
    When did I say it wasn't wrong? It was a young player letting his emotions get the better of him during the heat of a game, nothing more. It happens to the best of them, see Chris Paul vs N.C. State for example. It wasn't assault, like the crock of a ref made it out to be, and it's nothing to hold against Mayo for any length of time. In fact, most people who saw the incident thought the original technical was completely unjustified, which isn't surprising when you take into account the refs fake dive.

  7. #57
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just not sold on undersized SG's. There's far too many draft day failures amongst them; Wagner, Fred Jones, Juan Dixon, Shawn Respert, Troy Bell etc.
    While I do agree about not liking undersized SGs in general, Shawn Respert had cancer and Dajuan Wagner had severe colitis that forced him to have his colon removed.

    Calling either a failure is not really fair.

    Additionally, Dwyane Wade, Ben Gordon, Monta Ellis, Leandro Barbosa and Jason Terry seem to be working out pretty well.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 02-19-2008 at 05:24 PM.

  8. #58
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    And stats to analyze. Wade was light years ahead of where Gordon's at, doing it all and then some. Gordon is a dominant scorer, nothing more. The question is, will he be a dominant scorer in the NBA? Given his suspect size and ball handling, I'm not sold. Of course, being an Indy kid, most of the locals here will refuse to accept any possibility that Gordon isn't the second coming of Christ, so it's pointless to even debate it.
    Apparently you're memory about Wade's freshmen year isn't quite as vivid as you claim it to be. You must not know that Wade DIDN'T play his freshman year in college due to academic problems. So I'm not sure how you can have stats to analyze saying that Wade "was light years ahead of where Gordon" is as freshman. Wade was 20 years old the first time he stepped on a college basketball court.

    If you don't believe me you can check his Wiki.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I do agree about not liking undersized SGs in general, Shawn Respert had cancer and Dajuan Wagner had severe colitis that forced him to have his colon removed.

    Calling either a failure is not really fair.

    Additionally, Dwyane Wade, Ben Gordon, Monta Ellis, Leandro Barbosa and Jason Terry seem to be working out pretty well.
    Wade is bigger, more athletic, and more skilled than Gordon. That's no comparison. Terry, Ben Gordon, and Barbosa are solid players, but they're not exactly setting the world on fire. Ellis has the potential to be something special, but he's not there yet. I'd argue every single undersized SG you just mentioned is a vastly superior ball handler and passer to Eric Gordon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently you're memory about Wade's freshmen year isn't quite as vivid as you claim it to be. You must not know that Wade DIDN'T play his freshman year in college due to academic problems. So I'm not sure how you can have stats to analyze saying that Wade "was light years ahead of where Gordon" is as freshman. Wade was 20 years old the first time he stepped on a college basketball court.

    If you don't believe me you can check his Wiki.
    Wade was a red shirt freshman. He was also just 19 years, 9 months when he first played a game for Marquette, just 11 months older than Gordon.

  10. #60
    Member BruceLeeroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Kofi, Eric Gordon's not that undersized. He weighs 15 pounds more than Mayo and nearly 25 pounds more than Bayless. The one inch Mayo has on him isn't nearly as important as that extra 15 pounds Gordon carries on his frame.

    If Gordon develops his handles and can play some point in the NBA he has a much higher ceiling than Mayo or Bayless IMO. I do like them all though and would be happy with any of them.

  11. #61
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .



    Wade was a red shirt freshman. He was also just 19 years, 9 months when he first played a game for Marquette, just 11 months older than Gordon.
    I still don't see how you can say he was as good as Gordon as a freshman. However its clear you don't respond to reason. Considering you didn't even realize you were being lead right into the fact that Wade never played a freshman year.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  12. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't see how you can say he was as good as Gordon as a freshman. However its clear you don't respond to reason. Considering you didn't even realize you were being lead right into the fact that Wade never played a freshman year.
    Red shirt freshman. Look it up.

    I watched the I.U. game tonight, and again, I was less than impressed with E.J. He's got great range, but I see nothing else special about the kid. Lighting up the Big Ten loses some impact when you take a look at everyone who's done it in the past. Studs like Drew Neitzel, A.J. Guyton, Dee Brown, Pierre Pierce etc. Did you know Toronto Raptors megastar Kris Humphries averaged 22 and 11 as a Freshman at Minnesota? That Big Ten, some competition. Personally, Gordon reminds me a lot of Fred Jones, right down to the sloppy ball handling, but with a dash of Ben Gordon thrown in to give you some hope that he'll turn into something special. I'm not guaranteeing he'll be a bust, and if we ended up with him I'd be willing to give him a chance to prove me wrong, but I just don't like the kids overall package. And I think a lot of GM's will agree with me, and Gordon will slip out of the top-5 on draft day.
    Last edited by Kofi; 02-19-2008 at 10:09 PM.

  13. #63
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Redshirt freshman who sat out for academic reasons? Either way you can't compare Wade's freshman year to Gordon's because Wade did not play one.

    And yes there have been many busts (Humphries in particular. However he didn't surprise anyone by being bust he got way too full of himself and made an extremely bad decision) out of the big ten, but you also have Deron Williams, Michael Redd, Devin Harris, Glenn Robinson, Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Jason Richardson, Zach Randolph. Then guys like Oden and Conley last year. Big Ten has had its share of busts and its share of big time players just like every other conference in America.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  14. #64

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Kofi-

    So, if EJ slips all the way out of the top-5 to #6, you'll assume that
    numerous, NBA GM's agree with you that he's destined to be just
    another undersized SG, if not a bust ?

    Right.

    And remind us, which power conference was Wade 'lighting up' in
    his (according to you) supposed stellar 'redshirt' freshman year at
    Marquette (and no, it wasn't in the Big East at that point) ?

  15. #65
    PD original FireTheCoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    southport, indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    EGs ready for the NBA right now... I dont think he'd see much time on the court, but he can shoot the ball well enough to play in the NBA.

    He definitely doesn't have the handles to be successfull PG in the league.

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,339

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    It doesn't matter how compelling an argument you present, Gordon is this generations Steve Alford. Indiana homers want him. Period. He could suffer a 5 ppg dropoff, make his assist/turnover ratio EVEN WORSE than his less than 1, and stop managing even his meager 3 boards a game, and someone would claim it was just him being a great player and getting his teammates involved more.

  17. #67
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't matter how compelling an argument you present, Gordon is this generations Steve Alford. Indiana homers want him. Period. He could suffer a 5 ppg dropoff, make his assist/turnover ratio EVEN WORSE than his less than 1, and stop managing even his meager 3 boards a game, and someone would claim it was just him being a great player and getting his teammates involved more.
    It's all moot...because as much as we want him, we're not getting him because A TEAM IN THE TOP 5 OF THE LOTTERY WILL DRAFT HIM!! So yeah, it's all moot.

  18. #68
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    My point from the beginning was this, fine if you don't want Gordon, but saying you want Mayo over Gordon makes little to no sense. Especially if you're main gripe about Gordon is that he is undersized. Mayo isn't exactly a big guy, and if you're other big gripe about Gordon is his assist/turnover ratio then you can't say you want Mayo either. Mayo is .07 better in the assist/turnover category and is supposed to be this amazing ball handler and quite possibly a PG in the NBA which makes ZERO sense. I can see why people wouldn't want Gordon he has his flaws without doubt, but saying he'll be Fred Jones or saying you would take Mayo over him just doesn't add up.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  19. #69
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,925

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's all moot...because as much as we want him, we're not getting him because A TEAM IN THE TOP 5 OF THE LOTTERY WILL DRAFT HIM!! So yeah, it's all moot.
    If he keeps turning the ball over like he has then he won't be in the top 5...

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  20. #70
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I can see Gordon being another Dajuan Wagner. Gordon may be a better shooter, but Wagner was quicker and a better ball handler. I'm just not sold on undersized SG's. There's far too many draft day failures amongst them; Wagner, Fred Jones, Juan Dixon, Shawn Respert, Troy Bell etc.
    Juan Dixon, Fred Jones, and Troy Bell were both very late lottery-mid first round picks, which are always crap shoots. To use them in this argument is ridiculous, they were never really expected to be great professional players and even on their respective draft days they were not drafted in the top 5.

  21. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kofi-

    So, if EJ slips all the way out of the top-5 to #6, you'll assume that
    numerous, NBA GM's agree with you that he's destined to be just
    another undersized SG, if not a bust ?

    Right.

    And remind us, which power conference was Wade 'lighting up' in
    his (according to you) supposed stellar 'redshirt' freshman year at
    Marquette (and no, it wasn't in the Big East at that point) ?
    Not at all. If GM's felt that he was destined to be just another undersized SG, he wouldn't go lottery. But he's both undersized and hasn't shown a great overall skill set, which I believe will cause GM's in the top-5 to shy away from him. Outside of the top-5, I believe his scoring and athleticism is enough of a plus to be worth the risk. But there are flat-out better prospects than Eric Gordon out there, as hard as that seems to be for certain people around here to fathom. And if you look on other message boards, boards that aren't filled with biased Hoosiers, you'll see an alarmingly large number of fans agree with that statement.

  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,383

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Troy Bell was an Academic All-American!

  23. #73
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he keeps turning the ball over like he has then he won't be in the top 5...

    -Bball
    Agreed. It's clearly an issue and it's not just handles, it's passing as well. People might want to rip on Kofi, but I just don't see how you can watch EJ play and not think Wade's game without Wade's hops, which frankly isn't quite top 5 to me.

    All these kids can still make further progress, they are prospects who for the most part haven't even had 4 years of NCAA caliber learning and maturity, let alone a couple of NBA seasons. So EJ could learn to make better passes and take better care of the ball. But he could also lose his shot instead (see Mike Dunleavy till this year).

    I have to admit that I'm kinda glad that it's going to be a moot point. As it stands we are going to have fans upset if they take Love or Thabeet instead of DJ White at 10-12 (if that's where they pick).


    BTW, for all his rep Mayo has shown a real willingness to D up tight and keeps it up all game. He's taken on the challenge when facing guys like Derrick Rose, though Rose didn't D him up the other way. EJ makes some nice plays, but Mayo makes a point to close out his man at all times, not just when he's headed to the rim. He'll close out tight on a guy just getting a ball reversal pass or a guy that might want to feed the post. This has gotten notice on the national level when people cover his games, it's not just my opinion.

    He's not an ace defender, but he plays like he wants to be. I haven't really seen that from EJ yet. Frankly Bayless looks a lot better than either one at this point, and if Augustin was a little taller I might have more interest in him too.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-20-2008 at 12:19 AM.

  24. #74
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    Can Love play center in the NBA?

  25. #75

    Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

    the fact is, bayless at 6'2-6'3 and mayo at 6'4-6'5 both have the potential to be solid pgs in the nba...not just combo guards...ej at 6'2-6'3 1/2 otoh only has the ability to play sg in the nba...and for everybody doubting mayo based on a perceived attitude problem or statistics without having watched him play, really has no room to talk...

Similar Threads

  1. Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...
    By Major Cold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2039
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
  2. Replies: 82
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
  3. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 02:29 PM
  4. A little early, but who do you like in the draft...?
    By Infinite MAN_force in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 02:54 AM
  5. Ben Gordon takes a shot at Ben Wallace?
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •