Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eric Gordon FTW!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Eric Gordon FTW!

To all the EJ haters who say that Gordon's performance goes down against superior opponents:

28 points on 60% shooting against the #9 team in the country.

And this with DJ White going down early with an injury.

You all have no idea how much I want this kid in a Pacers uniform.

Default Re: Eric Gordon FTW!

He looked shaky early... And his ball handling needs to be worked on. That said, part of it is surely the wrist because his ball handling has looked better.

OK... now that's out of the way... Tonight was the first time all season he showed me signs of a player that has the ability to take over a game and refuse to lose.

Now he has to prove it's not a fluke.

This is something his game has lacked. Big players come up big in the biggest games. Purdue is a great opportunity for him.

Bball
    I hope we don't have to play Purdue without DJ White... And A DJ White at full stength.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

when will he ever learn? underwave's Avatar

it's one game. but i'm positive.
    still. i want Rose in our team more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He looked shaky early... And his ball handling needs to be worked on. That said, part of it is surely the wrist because his ball handling has looked better.

OK... now that's out of the way... Tonight was the first time all season he showed me signs of a player that has the ability to take over a game and refuse to lose.

Now he has to prove it's not a fluke.

This is something his game has lacked. Big players come up big in the biggest games. Purdue is a great opportunity for him.

Bball
    I hope we don't have to play Purdue without DJ White... And A DJ White at full stength.
    Completely agree. I have been a doubter. Last night he had the type of game I have expected from him. Now he has to build on it. Not necessarily replicating his play but having that same impact, including with his intensity and emotion. He may be starting to change my mind.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

This was one of his better showings. You know Shade you have to keep one thing in mind that at least I keep saying in the recruit thread.

NONE of these kids is done developing yet. This is when that happens. Not just EJ, but guys like Mayo, Rose, Thabeet, even Hibbert is still going to hopefully improve over the season.

EJ has had issues with protecting the ball and passing limits. He's not actually been "all that" at times. That's true with lots of guys so far. But saying that isn't the same as saying he won't be a top flight pick.

Physically he moves like an NBA player and if he keeps showing that jump shot range then he can 2 guard in the NBA for sure.

White getting hurt just when he was playing his way into maybe a 1st round draft paycheck. That's just not fair.

Naptown-

Well said. Those kids have not only not finished developing
    yet, they've barely even started. Gordon was pretty well
    coached in HS, but alot of elite kids aren't. They all have
    miles to go before judgement can be rendered on the kind
    of NBA players they might eventually be down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    You all have no idea how much I want this kid in a Pacers uniform.
    Agreed. And not only am I a Purdue alum, but I detest what he did to Weber. That's how good he is.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by underwave View Post
    it's one game. but i'm positive.
    still. i want Rose in our team more.

Just curious, but why? Rose has been just as inconsistent on a team that is more talented.

Not to ruin the parade, but I have to make this comparison:

EG is a flat-out scoring machine, good at many other areas, but by no means spectacular. As a 6'3 SG, when I think of this type of player, I can't help but think of Shawn Respert (by the way, if you get a chance, his recent admission of stomach cancer is gut wrenching - Google it). It's just going to be harder for him to get his shot off against guys in the NBA that have 4-5 inches on him and I think he'll get abused in the post on defense. His strength kind of helps take away from the height disadvantage, but as a 2 guard, I think he'll have to improve his ball-handling skills immensely to become more of a "combo" guard.

Gordon is closer to 6'5" than 6'3" IMO.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by sothenrobbiesaid View Post
    Not to ruin the parade, but I have to make this comparison:

EG is a flat-out scoring machine, good at many other areas, but by no means spectacular. As a 6'3 SG, when I think of this type of player, I can't help but think of Shawn Respert (by the way, if you get a chance, his recent admission of stomach cancer is gut wrenching - Google it). It's just going to be harder for him to get his shot off against guys in the NBA that have 4-5 inches on him and I think he'll get abused in the post on defense. His strength kind of helps take away from the height disadvantage, but as a 2 guard, I think he'll have to improve his ball-handling skills immensely to become more of a "combo" guard.
    He's a college freshman. He is by no means already matured to where he's going to be at the peak of his career.

If players 4-5 inches taller than him are guarding him, he can either (a) go right around them, or (b) step back and shoot from further out (he has amazing range).

And, yes, he needs to improve his ball-handling, but that will come with time. His wrist has been injured much of this season.

OJ Mayo > Eric Gordon.

Watch the USC/UCLA game tonight, there are a lot of players in that game I would love to see in a Pacers uni.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    OJ Mayo > Eric Gordon.

it was about time ej showed up when it matters...and yes, i would draft mayo ahead of ej if i were the pacers as well...

Mayo? That guy's stock is falling faster than Enron's right now.
    My thoughts on him are well documented everywhere on PD probably even more than my thoughts on Gordon. I'll just put this simply, anyone who thinks you should draft Mayo over Gordon is probably nuts and on top of that anyone who thinks THE PACERS should draft Mayo over Gordon is certifiable.
    If you guys thought Jackson was a headache just wait until Mayo hits the scene.

Here are some things to chew on...
    Gordon averages more PPG on a better shooting percentage (47% vs. 44%) in less minutes per game (33 vs. 36). Their A/T ratios are nearly identical with Mayo being only slightly better. (.73 vs. .8) which isn't exactly enough to blow me out of the water considering Mayo is supposed to be a PG in the NBA while most believe that Gordon couldn't play that position if his life depended on it. Gordon's PPS is 1.66 while Mayo's is 1.24. Gordon's team is 21-4 and 10-2 in conference while Mayo's team is 15-8 and 6-5 in conference. Gordon shoots 85% from the FT line while Mayo shoots 77%. Gordon shoots 40% from 3 while Mayo shoots 37%.
    Thats not even beginning to adress the issue that Mayo is a freakin' head case. This is a guy who went to FOUR high schools in FOUR years and I don't care how anyone wants to spin it. That is a BAD thing.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 02-17-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Banned

I just have a hunch Gordon is gonna be a semi-bust. Not a huge bust, like Tskitishvili, but a guy who never becomes a great talent. On the level with say, Ben Gordon. He just seems so one dimensional, add in the fact that he's undersized and it makes it all the more bothersome.

I prefer both Bayless and Mayo. Mayo has better size and a more complete game, Bayless has Gordon's shooting/scoring ability but with the skills to be a point guard in the NBA. Gordon's strictly an undersized SG. That worries me. He seems more likely to end up the next Fred Jones than the next Dwyane Wade. Of course, if he measures in at 6'4" or better I may change my mind.
    Last edited by Kofi; 02-17-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Gordon is one dimensional? How so? Cause he's not a very good PG and a very good SG? He is the most complete scorer in college basketball. He's a better shooter than Mayo and he is as good a finisher as just about anyone you will find. I don't know how you can call Eric Gordon one dimensional with a straight face. Guys like JJ Redick are one dimensional.

I think some of you have seen Gordon play so much now that you've become desensitized to how good the kid really is.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Mayo? That guy's stock is falling faster than Enron's right now.
    My thoughts on him are well documented everywhere on PD probably even more than my thoughts on Gordon. I'll just put this simply, anyone who thinks you should draft Mayo over Gordon is probably nuts and on top of that anyone who thinks THE PACERS should draft Mayo over Gordon is certifiable.
    If you guys thought Jackson was a headache just wait until Mayo hits the scene.

Here are some things to chew on...
    Gordon averages more PPG on a better shooting percentage (47% vs. 44%) in less minutes per game (33 vs. 36). Their A/T ratios are nearly identical with Mayo being only slightly better. (.73 vs. .8) which isn't exactly enough to blow me out of the water considering Mayo is supposed to be a PG in the NBA while most believe that Gordon couldn't play that position if his life depended on it. Gordon's PPS is 1.66 while Mayo's is 1.24. Gordon's team is 21-4 and 10-2 in conference while Mayo's team is 15-8 and 6-5 in conference. Gordon shoots 85% from the FT line while Mayo shoots 77%. Gordon shoots 40% from 3 while Mayo shoots 37%.
    Thats not even beginning to adress the issue that Mayo is a freakin' head case. This is a guy who went to FOUR high schools in FOUR years and I don't care how anyone wants to spin it. That is a BAD thing.
    I'm just curious, since you are closer to the scene than we are; is Mayo really a potential headcase? Because I was one that thought his perimeter scoring would be great in this offense. But all of my desires are based off of box scores the next morning. We don't hear locker room grumblings, or any of that. Is Mayo a player you think we should steer clear of?

Mayo has had his issues with authority. He even completely controlled his recruitment. Basically telling Floyd that he was going to recruit to USC and that he would call him about it and not vice-versa. He is an attention whore who doesn't care about winning is what that tells me. To me Mayo is not just a potential problem, he will almost certainly find trouble one way or another.

Mayo has had his issues with authority. He even completely controlled his recruitment. Basically telling Floyd that he was going to recruit to USC and that he would call him about it and not vice-versa. He is an attention whore who doesn't care about winning is what that tells me. To me Mayo is not just a potential problem, he will almost certainly find trouble one way or another.
    Agreed. The last thing we need is Ron Artest Jr. Have we learned nothing from the past three years?

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Just curious, but why? Rose has been just as inconsistent on a team that is more talented.
    Inconsistent as EJ, yes. Team more talented...not by all that much. Of all the top teams I expect Memphis to fall first. They've faced a couple of challenges well so far but not nearly as many as other teams, especially Pac 10 or Big East teams.

Mayo's not getting picked ahead of EJ. NO ONE thinks that, at least not serious mock drafters, scouts, etc. But Mayo does show a pretty fluid game and the willingness and ability to D up, more than Rose or EJ have shown for sure (on D).

You want head case? Bill Walker, or as I'm going to start calling him, Stephen Jackson Jr. Tons of attitude during games, bad shot selection and periods of token effort away from the ball.

BTW, AJ Price has a much worse history than Mayo but it's pretty clear that he makes a prime example that kids can learn and turn a corner. Right now that's reflected in his greatly improving draft stock and general buzz as the top Big East PG. I'd take him on the Pacers in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-18-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Mayo got shut down by UCLA tonight, but that was because they put Westbrook on him tight and then doubled as much as possible when he got the ball with guys like Collison. They basically said Mayo wouldn't beat them no matter what, and USC nearly won the game anyway.

Love solid game. Shipp meh outing. Mayo did pull in 9 rebounds and if you saw any of the game as per his norm Mayo ran around screens like Rip or Reggie, UCLA just wouldn't give him space no matter what it cost them.

And you still take EJ or Bayless even over Mayo IMO. Don't let my Mayo support mislead you. I'm just saying that expecting him to flop or be a major head case doesn't match what he's shown so far at USC. He does tend to force the action and sometimes shoot too much, but then his team is not nearly as talented as a UCLA or Wash St.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-18-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[QUOTE=Indy;657891] Basically telling Floyd that he was going to recruit to USC and that he would call him about it and not vice-versa. [QUOTE]

He stated that he would get players to go to USC. I had nothing wrong with what he said. Players recruit players... happens in the NBA, happens in college, even happens in AAU and high school.

I've thought that EJ and his father have played the media more than Mayo.

I think the EJ is the far superior outside shooter and is excellent coming off screens. Mayo has him beat in ball handling skills, though. So it comes down to what you want.

Actually, it comes down more so to where you pick. Outside of the top 4, I don't think EJ will be available. 4-10, Mayo could be there.

Could take a solid PG prospect like Bayless and pair them with Daniels at the 2...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[quote=iPACER;658086][quote=Indy;657891] Basically telling Floyd that he was going to recruit to USC and that he would call him about it and not vice-versa.

He stated that he would get players to go to USC. I had nothing wrong with what he said. Players recruit players... happens in the NBA, happens in college, even happens in AAU and high school.

I've thought that EJ and his father have played the media more than Mayo.

I think the EJ is the far superior outside shooter and is excellent coming off screens. Mayo has him beat in ball handling skills, though. So it comes down to what you want.

Actually, it comes down more so to where you pick. Outside of the top 4, I don't think EJ will be available. 4-10, Mayo could be there.

Could take a solid PG prospect like Bayless and pair them with Daniels at the 2...
    the "better ball handler" averages slightly more turnovers a game and had 10 tos tonite...just throwin that out there
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I like Mayo's game as well. I know about the whole recruitment thing. He called Floyd and said he was coming to USC, basically to establish his celebrity. That certainly says he's a prima donna of sorts, but is there real trouble he's been in? I don't know of any scrapes with the law or anything like that. I'm not saying having a me first player is ideal, but he's not Jackson or Tinsley.