Thread: Sampson to be fired today?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question Sampson to be fired today?

http://thebiglead.com/?p=4613

Source: Indiana’s Kelvin Sampson to Be Fired Friday

College Basketball TheBigLead February 13th. 2008, 8:35pm

According to a media source, the buzz in college basketball circles is that Indiana coach Kelvin Sampson will be fired Friday for violating telephone restrictions and then lying to both the school and the NCAA. Our source says that the school is looking to act quickly with Sampson because if he were to guide the 13th-ranked Hoosiers to the Final Four - it’s entirely possible with talent like DJ White, Eric Gordon, and a cadre of role players - it would be much more difficult (nearly impossible) to fire him. If the school doesn’t cut the cord with Sampson Friday, it is possible that he could gain traction among fans via victories (the Hoosiers host Michigan State Saturday, and Purdue Tuesday) despite his misconduct.

Greg Couch of the Chicago Sun-Times already has a column out hinting at some of what we’ve said, with this great line: “every day Sampson is at IU is another day without credibility.” Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports “guesses” Sampson won’t last through the season. We suspect more details about Friday’s firing will surface once tonight’s game against Wisconsin is complete. [It’s gone final: Wisconsin 68, Indiana 66 on a late Brian Butch three-pointer.]
    The article's a little over a day old, so who knows.

Default Re: Sampson to be fired today?

Here's an updated article:

http://thebiglead.com/?p=4629#more-4629

Indiana’s Kelvin Sampson … Still Employed

College Basketball, Media Gossip/Musings TheBigLead February 14th. 2008, 5:59pm

As of this moment - 5:58 pm, Indiana’s basketball coach is still Kelvin Sampson. We had a source tell us late Wednesday night that Sampson would be fired on Friday, and we received our fair share of negative emails.

Such is life. Here’s the latest from around the net:

* Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports reports that Sampson may or may not coach Saturday’s game against Michigan State. As for the firing, Goodman referenced Jim O’Brien’s situation at Ohio State a few years ago - O’Brien sued OSU when he was fired before the NCAA had ruled on his case and eventually won a lawsuit ($2.2 million plus interest) against the school.

* Andy Katz reports that Sampson very nearly didn’t coach Wednesday’s brutal 68-66 home loss to Wisconsin. Katz also floats the idea that a buyout of Sampson’s contract is a possibility. Katz also mentions the Jim O’Brien story, which could mean that Pat Forde’s call for a suspension is the answer.

* Hooiser Scoop reports “high-level decision-makers” met today and that president Michael McRobbie “wants a swift resolution to the situation.” In addition, Hooiser Scoop says that as of lunchtime Thursday, Sampson had not been contacted by the administration.
    A suspension seems like a plausible short-term solution. They don't want to open themselves up to another O'Brien/OSU fiasco.

Unless you're Bob Kravitz, of course. Then you go in both guns blazing and leave your brain at the door.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

A suspension seems like a plausible short-term solution. They don't want to open themselves up to another O'Brien/OSU fiasco.

Unless you're Bob Kravitz, of course. Then you go in both guns blazing and leave your brain at the door.

I think the 2.2 mil fine sounds like a cheap price to pay to save the schools honor and dignity. Quick action is needed to help stay the NCAA's hand when they eventually look at IU's culpability in this.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I think the 2.2 mil fine sounds like a cheap price to pay to save the schools honor and dignity. Quick action is needed to help stay the NCAA's hand when they eventually look at IU's culpability in this.
    I would not want to give Sampson ANY more money. Not a freakin' cent. In fact, I'd try to sue him for damaging the reputation of the school and the program. And any loss of revenue resulting from sanctions.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I would not want to give Sampson ANY more money. Not a freakin' cent. In fact, I'd try to sue him for damaging the reputation of the school and the program. And any loss of revenue resulting from sanctions.
    What I want to know is what terms were written into Sampson's contract in the event of a situation like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Short of firing him which seems unlikely at this moment a suspension is exactly what I would do. He doesn't need to be anywhere near this team right now.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    FTW !!!

Oh I totally agree with this. My comment was meant that if that was what is was going to take to get rid of this guy then so be it.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Contract sets terms for termination
    IU does not have to wait for NCAA ruling to make decision on Sampson’s future at Indiana
    by Doug Wilson dwilson@heraldt.com
    February 15, 2008

BLOOMINGTON — The new investigation that president Michael McRobbie will announce today could help Indiana build a case to fire Kelvin Sampson.

If IU officials decide to fire Sampson, they don’t have to wait for an NCAA ruling this summer. At least that’s what Sampson’s contract seems to say.

That contract pays Sampson an annual base salary of $500,000. With five years left on the deal, the cost of paying off the contract could reach at least $2.5 million.

But IU can fire Sampson “for just cause” without paying his contract beyond what he’s owed for the rest of the month in which he’s fired if IU can demonstrate he committed violations that do not comply with the terms of the contract.

“It (the contract) talks about significant, intentional or repetitive violations, so the question becomes, when does it become a violation?,” said Indianapolis attorney Stephen Backer, a former IU trustee who works in contractual law. “That’s the issue. I’m sure that’s what (IU officials) are meeting about (Thursday).”

The “just cause” section of Sampson’s contract offers examples of situations in which IU has the right to fire Sampson, among them any one of the following:

• “A significant, intentional or repetitive violations of any law, rule, regulation, constitutional provision, bylaw or intrepretation of the university, Big Ten Conference or the NCAA, which violation may, in the sole judgment of the university, reflect adversely upon the university or its athletic program, including, but not limited to any significant, intentional or repetitive violation which may result in the university being placed on probation by the Big Ten Conference or the NCAA .”

• “A significant, intentional or repetitive violation of any law, rule or regulation, constitutional provision, bylaw or interpretation of the University, the Big Ten Conference or the NCAA by a member of the intercollegiate men’s basketball coaching staff or any other person under the employee’s supervision and direction, including student athletes in the program, which violation the employee knew or should have known of and which violation may, in the sole judgment of the university, reflect adversely upon the university and its athletic program, including but not limited to any significant, intentional or repetitive violation which may result in the university being placed on probation by the Big Ten Conference or the NCAA.”

• “Conduct of the employee seriously prejudicial to the best interests of the University’s stated mission.”

• “Knowingly misleading the university about any matters related to the men’s basketball program .”

The procedures for firing Sampson for just cause are also spelled out in his contract. Athletic director Rick Greenspan has the authority to suspend Sampson from his duties without pay while giving Sampson “reasonable time” to respond to a written notice of suspension.

Upon such notice, Sampson would have the right to a request a review of the situation by university president Michael McRobbie, who could consider that request himself or appoint a delegate to do so. If after doing so, McRobbie or his delegate agreed with Greenspan’s recommendation, Sampson would be notified in writing of his termination.

The contract for the Hoosier basketball coach appears to better define the reasons that are adequate to terminate his employment than that of former Ohio State coach Jim O’Brien, who won $2.2 million plus interest in court after he was fired for loaning $6,000 to a player he was trying to recruit. Ohio State has appealed the court decision that said it did not follow the provisions of O’Brien’s contract to the Ohio Supreme Court, which has yet to decide if it will hear the case.

O’Brien’s contract permitted termination for cause for only three things: (1) a breach of contract, (2) criminal conduct or (3) NCAA or Big Ten actions against Ohio State in a major infractions case for rules violations.

The list of NCAA or Big Ten actions that could trigger O’Brien being fired for cause included sanctions reducing Ohio State’s number of scholarships, limiting the school’s recruiting, placing it on probation or banning it from post-season play or some of its television coverage.

This focus on NCAA or Big Ten action became a problem for Ohio State when it decided to fire O’Brien before the NCAA took any action against the school. Once O’Brien sued the school, it put Ohio State in the position, according to an appeals court judge, to prove that O’Brien had breached his contract.

Ohio Court of Claims Judge Joseph T. Clark, according to numerous media accounts, ruled that O’Brien had not breached his contract and although he had violated NCAA rules, the violations weren’t serious enough to warrant his firing.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.tmnews.com/stories/2008/0....nw-085465.tms
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

The pres is on right now. Sound slike a 7 day investigation by IU ath dr and then recommendations will be made to the pres. So I guess Samp is the coach for the next week.

Just fire the cretin already.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

If we were going to hang a rule breaking coach, why didn't we just keep Bob Knight? Knight may have, threw a chair, choked a kid, shot a friend but by no means did he EVER jeporadize the University's image with all of these sanctions. I.U is a top tier basketball school and shouldn't put up with this.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    If we were going to hang a rule breaking coach, why didn't we just keep Bob Knight? Knight may have, threw a chair, choked a kid, shot a friend but by no means did he EVER jeporadize the University's image with all of these sanctions. I.U is a top tier basketball school and shouldn't put up with this.
    It's kinda hard to get a recruiting violation when you're sitting in a fishing boat instead of recruiting...

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

My hope is that they go after a guy like Mark Few or Tom Crean. Or maybe try to grab one of North Carolina's assistants since that school actually knows how to recruit in Indiana...

From the Indy Star

Inquiry leader a joke

By Bob Kravitz
    bob.kravitz@indystar.com

This is nothing more than a little dance they have to do, a procedural two-step orchestrated by the school’s legal beagles before Indiana University does what it needs to do and will do in less than a week’s time — fire Kelvin Sampson.

This is about appearances, window dressing, about looking like IU gave Sampson a chance to address the charges in the NCAA’s letter of allegations. This is about ensuring that the university doesn’t get slammed down the road the way Ohio State did, when it lost a wrongful termination suit filed by former coach Jim O’Brien.
    Nothing more. Nothing less.

What’s another internal investigation of the NCAA charges supposed to do?

Exonerate Sampson? He has already acknowledged he violated the terms of his probation stemming from the Oklahoma mess. Now he is being charged with five additional “major’’ violations, including lying to IU and NCAA investigators.

Suddenly he’s going to become a beacon of truthfulness? IU is going to believe him when he says, “Honest, I’m not lying this time”?

The truth is, he should be suspended for Saturday’s game, should be suspended until the resolution of this latest matter.

He has already gotten enough second chances.

He got a second chance when the clowns in IU’s academic and athletic administration hired him — instead of Vanderbilt’s Kevin Stallings (Purdue guy) or then-West Virginia coach John Beilein ($4 million buyout).

Sampson got a second second chance when an internal investigation uncovered several violations of the terms of his probation. More impermissible calls. More shortcuts. More sloppiness.

Now Sampson is getting his third second chance.

He shouldn’t coach the Hoosiers Saturday or any night until a decision has been reached. How is that going to look, IU on national TV with their dead-duck coach prowling the sideline?

And what’s ridiculous about this one is, Rick Greenspan is again being asked to lead the investigation and then make a recommendation to school president Michael McRobbie.

Wait a minute. Greenspan hired this guy. His future is inextricably tied to Sampson’s future. Anybody else smell a conflict of interest? I don’t care if Greenspan wanted Beilein, Sampson or Pete Newell; he should not be reviewing anything. McRobbie, who sounded like he was staging a defense of Greenspan during Friday’s news conference, is making a mistake here.

Of course, none of this would be necessary if Sampson went right ahead and resigned, thus sparing the school from further embarrassment. It’s fair to assume his legal and financial advisers are telling him to make the school fire him, but there is ample language in the coach’s contract that gives IU the right to fire him at the first whiff of impropriety.

The school would only be obligated to pay him through the rest of the month, and nothing more.

The longer this goes on, the more it’s going to be a distraction for the players. The longer this goes on, the harsher the penalties will be if and when the NCAA addresses the allegations. The longer this goes on, the more it’s going to cost the university, which already paid Ice Miller to investigate Sampson, and will have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars more to defend Sampson if this madness continues.

Meanwhile, the vultures are circling and the rest of basketball is chiming in. Former coach Bob Knight told espn.com he has no reaction “publicly,” although, be assured, he’s paying close attention. Mike Davis told the Web site “it’s unbelievable,” although Davis told me the summer after his firing that Sampson would have IU in hot water within three years.

So now, we wait. We wait for this joke of an investigation. We wait for Greenspan to recommend Sampson’s firing, which should happen within a week’s time.

In the meantime, can we please ask former IU president Adam Herbert to stand up and answer questions about this hire? Clearly, he still cares about the program he helped bring down; he was in attendance at Wednesday’s game against Wisconsin. How about a statement? How about some accountability? Not just from Herbert but from all the trustees who thought that hiring Sampson was a really good idea.

These folks are front and center during the good times. Now they’re harder to find than Osama bin Laden.

As all this silliness commences, I want fans at Saturday’s IU-Michigan State game to do something: Wear a T-shirt with a hand-written message. It can be any message. Josh Tucker, the Louisville, Ky., man who was nearly tossed from Assembly Hall on Wednesday for wearing a “Bring Back Bobby” shirt, will distribute shirts before the game.

Or you can make your own. You can write “Fire Kelvin.” You can write “Free Kelvin.” Say whatever you want to say, and say it by wearing a T-shirt that expresses your sentiments.

And forget this insipid “stripe-out.’’

Let’s see Assembly Hall security throw out 17,000 people for wearing “offensive” T-shirts. Wouldn’t that be a sight for a national audience watching on ESPN?

Crazy, because the one guy they ought to be tossing out is the one with the trademark blue shirt and red tie.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...STS01/80215055

------

-John Wooden

Mood

I listened to Kravit's radio program yesterday and he had me feeling bad for Greenspan, but as he says, ultimately this was his hire even if it was forced on him.

Question, he alludes to it here and I heard him mention it yesterday, what is this "stripe-out" he mentions?

ESPN said yesterday that Katz column has a list of potential suitors for the IU job...anybody seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I listened to Kravit's radio program yesterday and he had me feeling bad for Greenspan, but as he says, ultimately this was his hire even if it was forced on him.

Question, he alludes to it here and I heard him mention it yesterday, what is this "stripe-out" he mentions?
    Google is your friend
    BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - On Saturday, Feb. 16, your Indiana men's basketball team will host its first-ever "Stripe Out" for the 9 p.m. game against Michigan State. Alternating sections are encouraged to wear red or white to the game to provide a raucous environment for the contest, which will be broadcast nationally on ESPN.

Your seat location will determine the color you should wear. Fans can find their section's color by looking at the map below. Also, a list of what sections should wear which color is located below the map.

"We're excited about hosting the first-ever Stripe Out at Assembly Hall in conjunction with our student spirit groups," Assistant Athletics Director for External Operations Frank Cuervo said. "This is an opportunity for our fans and students to show a national television audience that the best and most spirited fans in college basketball reside right here in Bloomington."

The Department of Athletics will send an email to all student and general public season ticket holders on Thursday. Additionally, the department will distribute flyers to the lower bowl prior to Wednesday's game against Wisconsin indicating what color each season ticket holder should wear on Saturday.

For those with questions as to which color they should wear, please contact the IU Athletics Ticket Office at 866-IUSPORTS or at 812-855-4006. The Department of Athletics is working in conjunction with a student-led organization on presenting the "Stripe Out."

IU Hoosiers Athletic Site

http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-...021308aac.html

------

-John Wooden

Andy Katz-ESPN Blog
    Possible options for Indiana
    posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 | Print Entry

Quick hitters for Wednesday:

• The NCAA can't enforce a postseason ban against Indiana this year because the NCAA committee that overlooks the investigation will not hear the case until June, after the tournament is over. If the Committee on Infractions, which doles out the penalty, finds it necessary in that hearing, then a postseason ban for 2009 is always a possibility.

• If coach Kelvin Sampson can't survive this at Indiana, then there will be a long line at the door in Bloomington. One name that might be at the front of the list is Washington State's Tony Bennett. Bennett played at Wisconsin-Green Bay, his family name is strong in the region and he would be well-liked by the high school coaches in the state. His sister, Kathi Bennett, was the Indiana women's coach from 2000-2005. Bennett signed a new deal at Washington State after being named national Coach of the Year in his first season. He likes living the quiet life in Pullman. However, he has a senior-laden team, and if there were ever a time to move back to the Midwest, this would be the perfect opportunity (if the job became available). If Sampson can't beat the NCAA and/or Indiana doesn't want to be patient, then don't be surprised to see Indiana go with a coach who doesn't have any baggage whatsoever in his past.

To continue reading this article you must be an Insider.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...me%3dkatz_andy

------

-John Wooden

Bennett is the guy I want. That was the name I had heard mentioned earlier as well. Glad to see him be rumored. His dad did a great job at Wisconsin. Bennett's teams play great defense and he's used to winning with less talent. He's 38 and a hard worker, plus a great recruiter. He got Devin Harris and Alando Tucker to Wisconsin. I hope he comes here.