Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Pacers Playoff Hopes Slim, but I'm not in Panic Mode...Yet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacers Playoff Hopes Slim, but I'm not in Panic Mode...Yet...

As I look at the standings in the East as of this date (2/13/08), it's clear that the Pacers aren't out of the playoff picture just yet. But for the third straight year it's going to depend largely upon what the teams around them do rather than what the Pacers themselves do in order for this team to get into the post season. From that perspective, their playoff hopes aren't too bright. Still, there is hope...

The Pacers are currently in 10th place and are 2 games out of the 8th seed and 8 games out of the 4th seed. With 30 games remaining, there's still time to move up, but as I eluded to in the fan blog, "Somethings Got to Give," a change or two is necessary to move this team forward. That change could either come in the form of a trade OR from the more likely source - a player stepping up and deciding he will do whatever it takes to carry the team. Either way, something definitely has to change either with the roster or the team's mentality.

Unlike some fans, I don't accept tanking the season because it sells the team short and it does the fans a great dis-service. Any true fan wants to see his team succeed. Granted, we all get frustrated when things aren't going well, but I've never been one who believes that throwing in the towel is the best solution as far as team sports are concerned. There's always that slim chance that something good will happen. To that, I have seen some good things from this Pacers team over the last 2-3 weeks.

Looking back over their last 11 losses, except for their games against the Bulls, Bucks (23 & 24 Jan, respectively) and Spurs (2/5), the Pacers have lost by an avg of 5 pts. And to be fair, they've only been blown out once in all 11 loses (Spurs, 116-89). Pacers hadn't had such a lop-sided game since 8 January when they loss to the Jazz, 111-89. Players are talking to each other while on the court more pointing out defensive assignments. As a result, defensive rotations have gotten better. Shot selection has also improved. Ball movement has remained fairly constant. Unfortunately, players continue to miss far too many wide open shots, as well as what should be some easy layups. The biggest change I've noticed is players are trying to drive the lanes more and have stopped settling for jump shots especially near the end of games. IMO, this team remains a post player and a confident "go-to-guy" away from getting over the hump.

Granger and Dunleavy continue to be the two most aggressive scoring threats the Pacers have right now. My hope is that Granger steps into the role of "go-to-guy" in the clutch. He seems to be more suited for it than Dunleavy. Part of that just might be personality; Granger seems to embrace it more. Regardless, one of these players have to step into that role because until they do this team will not get over that hump.

The one dimension this team lacks is post-play. I'm sure most would never admit that this team misses "a healthy" JO, but it's true. My gut tells me he won't be traded. For some, this might be a disappointment, but considering that none of the top teams in the East have made any changes to their rosters whatsoever and there doesn't seem to be any players of starting caliber available who can truly change the dynamic of this team, the focus IMO should be less on moving JO/Tinsley and more on finding one decent backup Center/PF.

The playing field in the East remains very wide upon from the 4th seed down. Eight games aren't that difficult to make up. My gut tells me that JO and Tinsley both will be back after the Break. If so, this team should be positioned to make a run, but winning 20+ games out of 30 won't be easy. Odds are, they won't accomplish this feat. Hence, just as what happened two seasons ago, the Pacers will need lots of help from teams above them to get back to the post season.

I remain a fan; my fingers are crossed...

Here's hoping...
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 02-14-2008, 12:35 PM.

Re: Pacers Playoff Hopes Slim, but I'm not in Panic Mode...Yet...

I respect your position, and I hate to rain on your parade, but I still think making the playoffs is the worst thing that could happen at this point. If we go as low as seven... We have a slight chance at a top three (Gordon or Rose) or even around seven you could pick up Bayless and fix our go-to scoring/point problem. Augustin is an interesting pure point gaurd prospect, Roy Hibbert a very skilled center. I see lots of options in that top 10-12 range, get out in 15-17 it becomes a lot more of a crapshoot.

I don't want to suck for a long time and try to use the lottery for years, but I think our team is actually pretty close. Granger is like a great side kick star, a great #2, same with dunleavy, but we need a real #1 go-to clutch sort of guy on this team. and not over the hill Vince Carter either. Either that or a stellar point gaurd, or maybe a combination of the two. This draft has Rose, Gordon, Mayo, Bayless, etc... lots of possibilities. We need to get into this draft.

If I were Bird I would trade foster to utah for almond and the pick (or just one of the two if thats all we can get) Daniels for an expiring contract, and sit JO and Tinsley for the rest of the season.

yeah yeah, nobody is a "sure thing" but I would rather roll the dice than be mediocre forever.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread or anything.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Comment

Originally posted by NuffSaid View Post

The one dimension this team lacks is post-play. I'm sure most would never admit that this team misses "a healthy" JO, but it's true. My gut tells me he won't be traded. For some, this might be a disappointment, but considering that none of the top teams in the East have made any changes to their rosters whatsoever and there doesn't seem to be any players of starting caliber available who can truly change the dynamic of this team, the focus IMO should be less on moving JO/Tinsley and more on finding one decent backup Center/PF.
      I think trading JO right now is a bad ideal also... let him sit and see what he can do next year. If he is possibly back to his old form next year could actually have a pretty bright outlook if we can add one of those top guard prospects from this draft. At the very least he can bump his trade value a bit so maybe we could at least trade him for a replacement big man prospect next year.
      "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Comment

Originally posted by NuffSaid
        Any true fan wants to see his team succeed.
        I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, but I wish people would leave all the "true fan" nonsense at the door.

I want my team to succeed. And you know what? Barely making the playoffs and getting hammered in the first round every season is NOT succeeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
          I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, but I wish people would leave all the "true fan" nonsense at the door.

I want my team to succeed. And you know what? Barely making the playoffs and getting hammered in the first round every season is NOT succeeding.

Exactly, if this were an up and coming team and hadn't made the playoffs in years, yes, I'd want that, its not.

If this was Atlanta, ya its a great thing. This is a mismatched group that even when maximizing talent doesn't compete at a championship level, nor can they, imho.

Comment

It's been said before....but the only way that we are going to make the Playoffs is by backing into the 8th spot. We're just not that good to actually earn it.
            Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by CableKC View Post
              It's been said before....but the only way that we are going to make the Playoffs is by backing into the 8th spot. We're just not that good to actually earn it.
              Then who is? How many teams in the East have losing records and will make the playoffs. .. If we have the "better" record, then we deserve whatever seed we get!!!

Who cares if we get swept. Who cares if we can't get that #5 pick just by losing the rest of the season.
              R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Oneal07 View Post
                Who cares if we get swept. Who cares if we can't get that #5 pick just by losing the rest of the season.
                I very much care having to watch a play-off series where we get swept with an average of 15-20 pts. Yeah... thats GREAT play-off experience .

Especially if the consequence of such a "success" is getting a WAY lower pick then I at this point of time looking at my team and it's future with regards to contracts, etc would say screw that embarassment of a first round play-off series and go for the pick to give this team a chance to restore some balance/extra talent in this roster and some future for this franchise.

For the rest I aggree with what Shade wrote. I consider myself a "truefan" I don't think someone else should be telling me what position I should take to be considered a "truefan". In fact I consider every member here a true fan, otherwise why would you be in here posting or reading in the first place?

Regards,

Mourning
                2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Comment

So basically what I'm reading here is most fans would rather the Pacers NOT get to the post-season because they feel in doing so getting there would take away from the Pacers' chances of getting a high draft pick. And while there is a high probability of the Pacers being swept in the first-round, it's secondary to NOT getting a high draft pick. Am I correct? If that is the case, my question to those who feel this way is this:

"Why do you covet draft picks so much?"

If you (the fans) care so much not just about the team becoming championship caliber but actually winning a title, why do you view getting draft picks so much more over tweaking the team and improving through free agency? I mean, what assurance does any team have that any draft pick will actually pay dividens?

Granted, making the post-season and getting outstead in the first-round isn't quite my idea of success either, BUT if this mediocre team can get there then to me it is a success of sorts...an accomplishment...a first-level goal reached.

Look, anyone who thought this team was a championship caliber team coming into this season was just plain nuts! Even Bird knew he didn't have a winner with this crew. BUT he knew that if things clicked and players remained healthy this team had as good a shot as any to get back to the post-season and perhaps get through the first round. Bruno said it best in one of his recent blogs; the team has gone through a bigger transformation that even the most advit fan acknowledges: 8 of 15 new players, practically the entire coaching staff has changed not to mention the team coming into the season learning a new system on both sides of the ball. Nothing about this season was going to be easy and if you paid attention, you knew that from the very beginning. Still, not even I thought things would be this rough.

What's made it so difficult for me is the lies and the hype, i.e., JO, JOB and TPTB all played down JO's injury, all the talk about getting "the best shooter in the league" when all we really got was Kareem Rush, the "comeback kid" (not really knocking him, but he hasn't really shot lights out so far...), plus all the talk of players earning playing time whether a veteran or a rookie and all the talk about having more athletic players only to see very little of it. (There aren't many play-makers on this team who can use their athleticism to create shot opportunities for themselves. Thus, ball distribution and not raw talent rules the day for this team and that's bad!) It's been these issues far more than anything else that have frustrated me about this team. I think I could have dealt with the "mediocrity" better if there was more honesty and far less hype to begin with. Because when it comes right down to it all the fans want is the truth and players who will give it their very best every game.

Still, through it all I'm still here, one of the faithful trying to will his team to..."success"...no matter how small.
                  Last edited by NuffSaid; 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NuffSaid View Post
                    So basically what I'm reading here is most fans would rather the Pacers NOT get to the post-season because they feel in doing so getting there wiould take away from the Pacers' chances of getting a high draft pick. And while there is a high probability of the Pacers being swept in the first-round, it's secondary to NOT getting a high draft pick. I'm I correct? If that is the case, my question to those who feel this way is this:

"Why do you covet draft picks so much?"

If you (the fans) care so much not just about the team becoming championship caliber but actually winning a title, why do you view getting draft picks so much more over tweaking the team and improving through free agency? I mean, what assurance does any team have that any draft pick will actually pay dividens?
                    The likely difference in making the Playoffs and missing it is going to be 2 or 3 draft spots.

If the Pacers somehow earn or back into the 8th spot of the Playoffs.....we would likely have the 15th pick ( there is no way that the West is going to have bad enough records to be worse then the Eastern Conference 8th Place team ) . But if we continue to play the way we play and somehow miss the Playoffs....win some games...lose most games.....we will likely be where we were last season.....somewhere between the 11th to 14th draft pick.

That's the question......is a few draft spots going to make a difference for us?

I'm not going to fool myself into believing that we can get a Franchise player.....but if things go right and we actually have a good talent scout......I'm guessing that we can probably land a decent Starter if not a solid rotational player for the future.
                    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

To IMF,

Everyone whose talking "draft picks" forget one thing: It sometimes takes years before a young prospects shows his worth. Take Kobe Bryant for example. It was 3 yrs before he became a permanent fixture among the Lakers' starters.

It's rare when guys like LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony step right in from day 1 as starters. Either the draft pick has some amazing talent or your roster is so jacked up you have no choice but to play him! I'm of the opinion that teams either get lucky or they're desperate when it comes to draft picks. The lucky teams are those who do their home work but can afford to groom that prospect for a few years before placing him at the forefront. The desperate teams do as the Cavs, Nuggets and now the Blazers and Sonics have done - they bet the farm and throw that top talent out there in the hopes that he will learn on the fly and get better. For the Cavs and Nuggets it has worked to a degree. For the Blazers and Sonics, these teams clearly have an upside w/their prospects for the future. Regardless, it still took the Cavs 3 yrs before King James was able to propel his team to contender status and most of that had to do with placing the talent around him than LeBron himself (though I take nothing away from the guy; he is an awesome talent!).

My point is it's going to take time even with draft picks to turn things around. What failed the Paces this years are:

1) Injuries

2) Going with "versatile" players at various position vice finding "skilled" players at every position even as role players. (We'll save that for another thread, however.)

Nonetheless, if JO and Tinsley can return healthy after the Break, I think the Pacers have a good chance of moving up to at least the 6th seed but it's going to take JOB changing things up alittle bit in order to do it.

To CableKC,

You've come back to my point which is unless that draft pick is one awesome talent it's going to take anywhere from 3-5 years BEFORE we even see any really dividends from the draftee.

In the Pacers defense, injuries have once again played a big role in this team's struggles not to mention the overall makeup of the roster - too many jump shooters, not enough slasher, bashers or play-makers! Still, I'm convinced - based solely on how the team has played since January 8th when JOB first went to a small-ball lineup - that this team could have moved up the ranks had JO and Tinsley NOT been injured, as well as if the team's real 6th Man, Ike, not gotten injured early in the season. I don't think I'm stretching things too far when I say the key to the roster's longevity (depth) was in having JO, Tinsley and Ike healthy this year. Once all three went down and/or their performance faultered...

And now those injuries have begun to mount: Deiner (ankle), Rush (wrist), Williams (ankle), Dunleavy (ankle/knee). These are players the coaching staff had hung their hats on and every one of them has some ache or pain somewhere. The All-Star Break couldn't have come at a better time. My hope is that JO and Tinsley come back at least 99% and that JOB sees the benefit to playing Ike and Graham more after their performances against the Pistons (2/13) even in garbage time. I think both deserve playing time.

If we can get JO and Tinsley back healthy, depth will once again be this team's ally and maybe...just maybe...the Pacers can make a real push toward the post-season.
                      Last edited by NuffSaid; 02-15-2008, 12:16 PM.

Comment

And that list of "every season" includes what?

00-01, okay they won the first game vs Philly then got dismissed, but I thought people were pretty happy back then that the team rebuilding did so with Reggie, Rose and soon-to-be all-star JO on the roster

01-02 Game 5, OT thanks to Reggie. That's not hammered, that's a classic Pacers moment even in a loss.

02-03 this is one reason why Isiah was dumped. Still they had the BEST RECORD at the AS break and put two guys on the AS team. The ONLY thing that team failed to do was make good in the playoffs

03-04 won their first 6 playoff games by double digits, a record. Went 6 games into the ECF. 61 wins most in franchise history....yeah, I was sick of it by then too

04-05 Brawl sucked, but still won 2 games in the SECOND round

05-06 out in the first, but even then they had some moments when they threatened NJ a little. I will concede this fits your complaint

06-07 didn't make the playoffs, your dream season...even if they kept the pick would Acie Law really be making things better at this moment? Hell no

For all this "they keep spinning their wheels" talk, that's just crap. They've been putting guys on AS teams for basically the decade, they've been a home court seed twice, they've done the ECF and 2nd round. And this is all coming off a serious rebuilding losing Dale, Rik and Jax all at the same time.

Cable, 8th seed is 15th pick, continuing the current rate puts them around 8th or 9th pick, not 11-12.

My one major point in all this is for all the short sighted complainers LAST YEAR that wanted a tank then to get a pick, is that still what you wanted, Acie Law over the group of PG/SG you can get at 9-10 this year? Because if you'd kept that pick and then landed 9th this year you'd be sending that one to ATL instead. Frankly I like guys like Bayless and Augustin more than Law.

I hate that they gave up the pick, but I love that they gave it to Atlanta last year instead of this year.

Comment

First off let me say to nuffsaid, good thread. I love your passion and you make very compelling arguments for your point of view.

Now having said that I want to state where I am at.

I am high on a cliff hanging onto an elephants tail who is hanging onto a daisy so we don't fall over.

In other words I am teetering.

On the one hand I will emphatically say this. If after the all-star break the team comes back with the exact same lineup we went into the break with (expecpt put Diener back over Daniels) and they come back and start winning at a good pace and make the 8th seed with a .500% record I will be as proud of them as I was the team that went to the second round the year of the brawl & I would be more than happy to support that.

However if Jamaal & Jermaine come back and we win 1 out of every 3 games and the teams above and below us faulter and we somehow back our way into the 8th seed then I will be disgusted.

On the other hand I am like you, there are no guarantee's in the draft and there is no one way to win a title. If there was then everybody would do it.

One caveat to all of this. If somehow the Pacers make a trade to clear up the deadwood and the new players come in here and start kicking @ss then I think we should all root for a deep deep playoff run.

However I do want to correct one statement that you have made. We are not a mediocre team. In fact since 2008 started we are one of the worst if not the worst teams in the NBA record wise. We are 10 game below being mediocre.

I understand both sides of this arguement though.

I don't want to tank for some mythical draft pick that may end up being more Harold Minor than Michael Jordan, yet I do NOT view getting to the playoffs as being a success either.

Either way great thread and keep fighting the good fight.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
                            And that list of "every season" includes what?

00-01, okay they won the first game vs Philly then got dismissed, but I thought people were pretty happy back then that the team rebuilding did so with Reggie, Rose and soon-to-be all-star JO on the roster

01-02 Game 5, OT thanks to Reggie. That's not hammered, that's a classic Pacers moment even in a loss.

02-03 this is one reason why Isiah was dumped. Still they had the BEST RECORD at the AS break and put two guys on the AS team. The ONLY thing that team failed to do was make good in the playoffs

03-04 won their first 6 playoff games by double digits, a record. Went 6 games into the ECF. 61 wins most in franchise history....yeah, I was sick of it by then too

04-05 Brawl sucked, but still won 2 games in the SECOND round

05-06 out in the first, but even then they had some moments when they threatened NJ a little. I will concede this fits your complaint

06-07 didn't make the playoffs, your dream season...even if they kept the pick would Acie Law really be making things better at this moment? Hell no
                            Nice recap of why the JO/JT era Pacers are underwhelming....

-Bball
                            Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

Peck,

"Mediocre" was their word, not mine. I was being sarcastic when I used it. They were being serious!

Comment

Working...
                              X