Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiana gets list of alleged violations related to phone calls

Default Indiana gets list of alleged violations related to phone calls

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3243325

Indiana gets list of alleged violations related to phone calls

By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

Updated: February 13, 2008, 1:15 AM ET

The NCAA sent a notice of allegations to Indiana University last Friday detailing major violations in the men's basketball program, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Larry MacIntyre, assistant vice president for university communications at Indiana University, confirmed to ESPN.com that the school did receive documentation from the NCAA last week
    The Associated Press reported on Tuesday night that the school will make the allegations public on Wednesday. University trustees president Stephen Ferguson told AP that school officials this week reviewed the report, but that the NCAA is not expected to make its ruling until this summer.

"There won't be a hearing till this June," Ferguson told AP. "It's just been reviewed, and I think everyone is analyzing it now."

MacIntyre said he was unable to provide any more information. But MacIntyre said he was working on providing a copy of the documentation in a request made by ESPN.com through the Freedom of Information Act.

But ESPN.com has learned over the last week that the NCAA uncovered new information since Indiana self-reported violations under second-year head coach Kelvin Sampson in October.

Sampson had been sanctioned after making impermissible phone calls while he was the coach at Oklahoma. Indiana then revealed more bad calls while Sampson was at IU. Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the NCAA was looking into whether Sampson did not tell the truth about those calls, resulting in the allegations of major violations.

This new information that helped result in a major violations tag could put the season of Indiana (No. 12 ESPN/USA Today, No. 13 AP) under a cloud of uncertainty and the career of Sampson as well.

ESPN.com made multiple efforts to reach Indiana athletic director Rick Greenspan over the past week and he never returned calls. Sampson didn't return a message Tuesday.

Indiana will have 90 days to respond to the letter. The committee on infractions has a hearing in April, but because of the 90-day window the hearing isn't expected to take place until the June meeting. That means Indiana may not have closure on the matter until late into the summer.

"The report came out in October, the university filed its response and there's really not been anything happening [on the board] in the last five months," Ferguson told AP. "There have not been any discussions."

A postseason ban for the Hoosiers would only come into play if IU decided to self-impose such a measure since the committee on infractions won't meet until June. According to multiple sources, a postseason ban would only occur if there were an issue with the eligibility of any current student athletes, which ESPN.com has been told isn't an issue yet.

The NCAA investigation came after Indiana made an announcement in October that Sampson had made 100 impermissible phone calls while he was on probation for illicit calls he made while he was the coach at Oklahoma from 2000 to 2006. During that time, he made 577 impermissible calls.

Sampson was penalized by Oklahoma by not being allowed to travel for recruiting. Indiana imposed the same penalty in his first season at IU. He was also banned from making calls and going off campus to recruit for a calendar year. He wasn't banned from text messaging since it was allowed during that year. But it was during that year that he made the impermissible calls.

Sampson wasn't allowed to take part in three-way calls, originated by anyone on the staff. In October, Indiana made public that former assistant Rob Senderoff initiated three-way calls. During the October news conference, Indiana said that Sampson said he was unaware he was participating on a three-way call. Senderoff, who was forced to resign, said he didn't let Sampson know he was on a three-way call, either. Prior to being forced out, Senderoff was told he couldn't recruit off campus for a year or make a phone call. The same restriction was put on Dan Dakich, who has since been moved up to an assistant position from director of basketball operations.

Sampson was hit with more penalties by the school, forfeiting a $500,000 raise, and a scholarship was taken away from the team.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    ------------------------

Undoubtedly means Gordon is joining some NBA team this June.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 02-13-2008 at 05:42 AM.

Default Re: Indiana gets list of alleged violations related to phone calls

During the October news conference, Indiana said that Sampson said he was unaware he was participating on a three-way call.
    I know nothing about this other than the obvious - IU hired a crook and found out that he's a crook - I'm shocked.

But how can you not know you're in a 3-way call? There are two other voices talking on the phone.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know nothing about this other than the obvious - IU hired a crook and found out that he's a crook - I'm shocked.

But how can you not know you're in a 3-way call? There are two other voices talking on the phone.
    indeed, sounds like he's trying to play stupid...too late. I feel sorry or IU fans.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Mood

A major violation on top of making the impermissable calls, once before IU, and again after. I'd say this just about does it for Sampson. If I were IU, I think I'd fire him mid-season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had heard rumblings about this as early as last Monday, but kept quiet til the truth came out. I've heard many different reports about what may or may not happen but the one I find to be most likely is this, Sampson will finish coaching this season and then will be forced to resign (read as fired or let go). If IU does get rid of Sampson before the hearing in June the sanctions we would face would be minimal. Sampson, on the other hand, would probably never coach again.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Well say goodbye to Ebanks and say hello to more Jucos. I swear Greenspan needs fired for hiring a man with Sampson's history.

I don't know why you would assume that Ebanks would be going anywhere...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    But ESPN.com has learned over the last week that the NCAA uncovered new information since Indiana self-reported violations under second-year head coach Kelvin Sampson in October.
    What does this mean, exactly? Does this means that Sampson has committed more infractions since the phone calls, or that he was caught lying about/covering up other violations that he committed (which are apparently more serious than the phone calls), or what?

It appears that the allegations are more against Sampson than against IU which is probably good for us. They seem to suggest that Sampson lied to the university about the phone calls and not that the university lied to the NCAA.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0601/802130516

NCAA: Sampson misled IU about calls
    By Mark Alesia
    mark.alesia@indystar.com

Indiana University men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson "repeatedly" provided "false or misleading information" to the school and NCAA investigators, according to a list of five major violations the NCAA is alleging against IU.

The "notice of allegations" sent to IU president Michael McRobbie on Feb. 8, and obtained by The Star today through a public records request, alleges that Sampson knowingly violated telephone recruiting restrictions and then lied about it. The restrictions were imposed because of the coach's NCAA violations while at Oklahoma.
    Sampson "failed to deport himself … with the generally recognized high standard of honesty" and "failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance within the men's basketball program," according to the allegations. The cover letter was signed by David Price, NCAA vice president for enforcement.

IU has until May 8 to provide a written response. The letter says it's anticipated IU will be required to appear June 14 in Seattle at a hearing before the Division I Committee on Infractions.

According to Sampson's seven-year contract, signed in April 2006, if IU fires him for "just cause" it would owe him nothing beyond his regular compensation through that month. Among the definitions of "just cause" in Sampson's contract is "a significant, intentional, repetitive violation of any law, rule (or) regulation" of the NCAA.

Another definition is "Failure to maintain an environment in which the coaching staff complies with NCAA ... regulations."

The contract says IU is allowed to use its "sole judgment" to determine if Sampson's conduct "reflects adversely upon the university and its athletic program."

Major violations of NCAA rules, as opposed to "secondary" violations, can carry punishments including postseason ineligibility.

IU has a strong record in NCAA compliance, with no major violations since 1960.

School officials were not immediately available for comment. A statement is expected this morning.

Assistant coach Jeff Meyer, who was involved in several of the allegations, issued a statement today through an attorney.

“In my twenty-nine years as a college coach, I have tried to maintain a reputation for integrity, fairness and good sportsmanship – values shared by Indiana University and the NCAA," the statement read. "I regret that I may have made mistakes that are causing my and IU’s conduct to be examined by the NCAA."
    IndyStar also has the official list of allegations from the NCAA on their site for download in PDF format.

Get him out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Sampson, on the other hand, would probably never coach again.
    Somebody will hire him.

Might be the University of Alaska-Fairbanks but it'll be someone.

streets ahead

this is actually sounding more and more pathological. why the hell would you do this when you KNOW there will be extra scrutiny on you from previous violations?
    This is the darkest timeline.

Doesn't the NCAA historically assume the school is responsible for the coach's actions and punish them accordingly?

Otherwise, the school could just deny all knowledge, fire the coach, hire a new one, and continue on with the same policy of cheating.

IMO, the NCAA will come down hard on IU.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Doesn't the NCAA historically assume the school is responsible for the coach's actions and punish them accordingly?

Otherwise, the school could just deny all knowledge, fire the coach, hire a new one, and continue on with the same policy of cheating.

IMO, the NCAA will come down hard on IU.
    Past history counts too though. Some extra phone calls isn't such a huge deal - not like boosters giving kids money. IU has a clean record and you'd reasonably expect some loss of scholarships and recruiting restrictions for something like this but probably not a loss of tournament eligibility.

Where IU gets hammered is for hiring a coach with a history of violations and then not monitoring him enough to keep him from repeating those violations. IMO they'll get hurt less if they fire Sampson. Then it just becomes an IU issue, not a Kelvin Sampson issue.

I don't really know this - it's just how I would look at things if I was the NCAA. Of course they may still want to make an example out of IU - give the world a, "If you hire a coach who screwed up and he screws up again, you have nobody but yourself to blame and we'll nail you to the wall." I probably wouldn't do that but a lot of people would.

IU has to act now to retain any semblence of credibility. Sampson either has to resign or be fired NOW. They cannot wait until the hearing or after the tournament is over. For the Greenspan haters, I think you have to take into account the way Sampsons contract was written. IU was protecting itself from the get go.

I wasn't happy with his signing from the beginning but I have no problem with HOW he was signed.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Does this open the door to Bob Knight coming back for one last hurrah?

What day did coach resign last week at Texas Tech?

Speculation and probably ridiculous speculation on my part, but the Bobby Knight fan in me wants coach back.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I'm never quick to jump on the "Fire Coach" bandwagons that seem to be so popular lately, but I've just about had it. I'm tired of the negative news always surrounding my sports teams. Get rid of Sampson now, find an interim coach, and then start a search in the offseason. Actions need to be made swiftly and efficiently. Don't sit around and wait to get a feeling on where the situation is going before the hearing. Fix the problem now.

Who is gonna be found to replace Sampson?

It's not like you want anyone on his staff taking over.

They'll keep Sampson for the rest of the season and then get rid of him, or atleast they should.

That's a shame that Sampson is this dumb. He coaches at IU. Damn if you coach at IU, Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, or Duke you are one lucky son of a ***** and he just screwed it up over stupid recruiting violations. Wow.

Here's a link to the notice from the NCAAA:

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008...llegations.pdf

The last section gives a big hint at what they're considering for sanctions - pretty much the trifecta - loss of scholarships, loss of postseason eligibility and loss of media revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Past history counts too though. Some extra phone calls isn't such a huge deal - not like boosters giving kids money. IU had a clean record
    Fixed. :-)

I think what ultimately happens will depend upon what else they find - if it stops with the phone calls or goes beyond that into things we don't know about yet.

Conspiracy mode on: I wonder if there are things we don't know about Gordon's switch from Illinois to IU...
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

We must get rid of Sampson within the next week with the way this is going. It gets worse and worse by the hour. This team can win with or without him by now. Heck let Dakich take over he's the only guy on the staff that is probably clean at this point. Since he hasn't even gotten a chance to recruit yet so he probably hasn't committed any violations (even then you have to wonder.)

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Since he hasn't even gotten a chance to recruit yet so he probably hasn't committed any violations (even then you have to wonder.)
    Coaches never stop recruiting.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sampson is stupid.

You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    Who is gonna be found to replace Sampson?

It's not like you want anyone on his staff taking over.

They'll keep Sampson for the rest of the season and then get rid of him, or atleast they should.

That's a shame that Sampson is this dumb. He coaches at IU. Damn if you coach at IU, Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, or Duke you are one lucky son of a ***** and he just screwed it up over stupid recruiting violations. Wow.
    Dakich could finish out the season. It's not like Sampson has been doing much real coaching with this team anyways. He almost makes Mike Davis look.....well okay I won't go THAT far.

I'll just look forward to the axe dropping whenever it happens. And I definitely agree with you on that last point. He escaped a messy situation at OU by getting one of the prime head coaching jobs in the country...I mean how lucky can you get? And he manages to ruin the thing in less than two years by violating rules. It is borderline insane. Maybe it's a pathological issue.

Now all those names can start surfacing again:
    Matta
    Few
    Alford

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden