View Poll Results: Would you go to Pacer games if . . .

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Pacers were a winning team?

8 12.31%
  • The Pacers were a contending team?

9 13.85%
  • The Pacers traded for Vince Carter?

2 3.08%
  • The Pacers were rebuilding?

14 21.54%
  • I go to games reguardless.

23 35.38%
  • Other

25 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would it take to get you to go to Pacer games?

Default What would it take to get you to go to Pacer games?

This was said in pot #4 in another thread, http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...ad.php?t=36917

"Kravitz said a couple weeks ago on his radio gig that he'd asked
    Bird why they don't just rebuild. Bird told him that he was
    concerned that, if they did so and had a couple really crappy
    years, that they might lose the franchise."

So the question is what would put you in the seats at Pacer games?
    Last edited by Will Galen; 02-12-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Default Re: What would it take to get you to go to Pacer games?

I go anyway, but if they were rebuilding I would go more often and probably enjoy it more.

it will take me about 45 minutes I figure tonight with the weather.

And for those who want rebuilding - just pretend that JO and JT have been traded. Enjoy the players who are playing

I voted for contending and other.

I loved the team that played with such heart after the Brawl!! They left it all on the floor, but I swore I'd never go to another game until TPTB got rid of the players that don't actually want to be here (cough,cough - JT,JO)..

Even tho he was a knucklehead, I thought Jackson brought it most nights, although he kind of overdid it a few times.

When TPTB grow some brains (likely that happens), I'll start buying tickets again!!
    Last edited by indyblue47; 02-12-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: can't spell %$$@

The Pacer brass seemingly believe only winning with players of high character will put you in the seats..

http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=300017878&start=0

With trade deadline looming, is more change coming?
    Feb 11, 2008
    With the trade deadline a little more than a week away, the debate has resurfaced: should the Pacers blow it up and start all over, or should they stand firm and push toward the playoffs?

Here's the right answer: neither and both.

It sounds easy: blow it up. Just get rid of guys because the fans are tired of them, don't believe in them, etc., etc. It's extremely difficult to do that in the NBA because of the combination of the restrictive trade rules within the salary cap, not to mention the global presence of guaranteed contracts but you, the fan, don't want to hear that. You want to hear moves are being made.

Well, there's this: Of the 15 players on the roster at the beginning of the 2007 calendar year, seven remain. More than half the roster has been turned over in the past 13 months. The head coach and most of the assistants have changed.

The job is not finished, clearly. Until it is, Jim O'Brien, Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh will not rest. But it is well underway.

"I think we have some really, really good pieces," said O'Brien. "There’s certainly not all the pieces of what we would eventually like to have in my tenure here. Management is certainly not happy with us being (21-30) at this point in time, nor am I, nor are the players, and there’s not an hour that goes by where everybody upstairs is not thinking about a way to improve the situation."

Some would advance the notion they would gladly support a mediocre – or worse – team if it was constituted of lovable solid citizens. This is, of course, utter bunk. The Pacers of the late '70s and early '80s were a terrific bunch. Clark Kellogg is one of the finest people I've ever known. Billy Knight, Johnny Davis, Herb Williams and Jerry Sichting are great guys who've enjoyed long, successful post-playing careers. Steve Stipanovich? Wayman Tisdale? It's pretty hard to criticize their character.

Their teams, however, were not very good and very few people shelled out cash to watch them perform as a result.

This is not to suggest you'd gladly watch a band of outlaws win 50 games. The point is this: you don't just want players of high character; you want winners of high character.

O'Brien spent quite a bit of time meeting with fans during the offseason breakfasts, dinners and other such gatherings. He didn't just talk to them, he listened.

"A number of them have said that it’s very important that we have a team that we can be proud of, and some of them actually said it’s not necessarily about winning as much as it is about the people that you have representing us," he said, "and I said every single time, 'I hear what you’re saying, I don’t buy it.' It’s about winning with character and class and with a certain culture, but it is about winning.

"I think we have a wonderful brand of basketball. I think we’re seventh in the league in scoring. We push the tempo. We move people. We pass the ball. We’re in the top five, I believe, in assists. We have an exciting brand of basketball. We’re not winning, and I think it’s all about winning, but when you’re looking at any organization in the NBA or any professional organization you want to do it with people that your fan base will rally around and kind of identify with."

You know how sometimes you look into the bright eyes of your 6-year-old daughter and suddenly realize she's 18, all grown up and where'd the time go? When you're so close to something, sometimes change is easy to miss because it doesn't happen all at once. It's a process, sometimes painful, sometimes wondrous. But that doesn't mean it isn't happening right before your eyes.
    ----------------

As I've said before, the Pacers are rebuilding, they just aren't doing it like some fans want. They're moving players in and moving them out if they don't work.

If I had the time and energy I would love to dig out all the old posts from so many of you, saying how you would just following the team, go to games if the team's offense wasn't so boring - if they would only score more, run more, movie the ball more.

A ticket home and I'm there.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Considering I don't live in Indy and never plan on doing so...it's harder for me. I would make a bigger effort if the Pacers were Colts-quality so I picked "contending."

Banned

I don't go to games. I've been to 1 Pacer game in my 15 years of being a fan. A playoff game vs the Bucks in 2000. I can't recall which game it was, but we were blown out and I believe Rik Smits was ejected early in the 2nd half for a mini fight with someone, maybe Ervin Johnson. I was so high up, 7'4" 260 lb. Rik Smits looked like an albino ant. I live an hour outside of Indy and can't afford good seats, so I'm content to watching on television.

What would rejuvenate my interest in the team, and make me more inclined to attend games if it were possible, would be either winning at a reasonably high level (above .500), which isn't happening, or exciting, talented young players that would give me hope for winning in the future. Being mediocre to bad does nothing for me, and with such a large portion of our core being 28 or older and peaked, I'm not that thrilled with our current future. The three biggest joys I get out of watching this years team: watching Danny, watching Shawne, and watching Ike, on the rare occasion he actually plays.

I voted other. That being if I lived in Indy.

Or, if they move to Tampa and become the Florida Pacers I will go to games. (grin)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only reason we have not gone to any Pacer games since pre season is that I don't live in Indiana any more....if not for that we would still have the season tickets..

If JO and tinsley were not on this team anymore....
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If JO and tinsley were not on this team anymore....
    patience

i would go to every game if i lived there. i just have to wait two more years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Only reason I don't go is the distance, from Holland so a bit difficult!

Too far away from Pacerland..

A free plane ticket LOL
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Someone hooking me up with tix, and me living less than a freakin' hour away from Conseco.

Oh, and cheaper parking.

I like going to games regardless of how well the team is playing. Of course, it's a lot better when we don't suck.

woman without a team

I voted other although I'm not sure exactly what the other would have to be.

How about money and time. I would watch a losing team if I had both of thoughs. Of course VC would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted other although I'm not sure exactly what the other would have to be.
    Scott Skiles as coach/player/GM?

I voted regardless, just bought 3 tickets, will fly in again in March (almost as usual) would I live local I would definitely spend the same money (likely even more) on season tickets.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Basically if they were doing anything except sitting here and losing while gaining no positives, I would go to the games.. We are losing most of our games, while not even rebuilding.. If we were at least rebuilding I would enjoy watching them more.. Or if they traded for a star that can take over a game.

I love going to the games.. Even if we are doing bad it's still fun to go.. It's just way too expensive to put everything together, and then most likely see your team lose after paying all that money, and go home dissapointed and with empty pockets. It sucks.
    Last edited by Ownagedood; 02-12-2008 at 06:30 PM.

I'll go with "other".

Free tickets and I'm there.

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

I go to games regardless,
    mom and I have the same game day routine we go by every home game, and that never gets old. They're fun to go to too. I wish we could start winning our home games though.

Some people want it to happen, some
    wish it would happen, & others make it happen.
    ..Michael Jordan.

Pressure is something you feel when
    you don't know what the hell you're
    doing.
    ..Peyton Manning.