Thread: Knee injuries are reaching epic proportions in the NBA.

Default Knee injuries are reaching epic proportions in the NBA.

Knee injuries are reaching epic proportions in the NBA. I count 23 players out with knee problems right now. Six of those are out for the season and I count two that are out indefinitely including JO. That doesn't include players that have had knee problems and are back playing now.

There didn't use to be so many injury problems. I think injuries are up in all sports because people start playing seriously at a younger age, thus wear and tear gets to them at younger ages. Plus there is so much money and glory to be won that people just play harder, and are more reckless.

As for knees, what I think is going to happen, or at least should happen, is players should be required to wear knee pads, or wrap their knees, just like they do ankles. Even then I think that would only somewhat solve the problem, because people still sprain their wrapped ankles.

The following is taken from injury lists on Yahoo.com and ESPN.com.

Derek Anderson Day-to-Day Feb. 8 Comment: Anderson sat out Thursday's practice because of a bruised right knee, but will be available Friday night against the Nets, the Charlotte Observer reports.

Chris Duhon Day-to-Day Feb. 11 Comment: Duhon, who may still play Tuesday, is battling a sore knee and back, the Chicago Tribune's Bulls blog reports.

Steven Hunter Day-to-Day Feb. 10 Comment: Hunter sat out Sunday's victory over Denver with a sore right knee, the Associated Press reports.

Jamaal Tinsley Day-to-Day Feb. 10 Comment: Tinsley's sore left knee will keep him out of the lineup until at least after the All-Star break, the Indianpolis Star reports.

Jermaine O'Neal FC Jan 16, 2008 Bone bruise, left knee

Mike Dunleavy Day-to-Day Feb. 9 Comment: Dunleavy bruised his right knee in the first quarter of Saturday's game against Portland and did not return after halftime, the Associated Press reports.

Andrew Bynum OUT Feb. 9 Comment: Bynum (knee) appears to be on schedule with his knee rehab process, despite reports of him suffering a set back, the LA Times reports.

Michael Redd Day-to-Day Feb. 9 Comment: Redd (knee) was back in the starting lineup on Saturday and scored 21 points in a loss to the Knicks.

Theo Ratliff OUT Feb. 11 Comment: Ratliff (knee) is practicing daily, and is still on schedule to return by late February, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports.

Nenad Krstic Day-to-Day Feb. 10 Comment: Krstic (knee) scored eight points and grabbed eight rebounds in 17 minutes Sunday in New Jersey's victory over Dallas.

James Jones OUT Feb. 11 Comment: Jones (knee) will miss another three-to-five weeks, according to the Associated Press.

LaMarcus Aldridge Day-to-Day Feb. 10 Comment: Aldridge briefly left Saturday's loss to the Pacers after bruising his right knee, but returned with it bandaged up to play 39 minutes, The Oregonian reports.

Darius Miles SF Oct 30, 2007 Right knee

Greg Oden C Sep 11, 2007 Right knee surgery - out for season

Speedy Claxton PG Nov 2, 2007 Sore left knee - out indefinitely

Adam Morrison GF Oct 24, 2007 Torn left knee ligament - out for season

Paul Davis FC Dec 21, 2007 Sprained right knee - out for season

Shaun Livingston PG Oct 30, 2007 Torn knee ligaments

Alonzo Mourning C Dec 19, 2007 Knee injury - out for season

Herbert Hill FC Oct 30, 2007 Left knee surgery - out 4 to 6 weeks

Sean May PF Oct 6, 2007 Right knee surgery - out for season

Shareef Abdur-Rahim FC Dec 8, 2007 Right knee surgery - out for season

Gilbert Arenas PG Nov 17, 2007 Left knee surgery - out 3 months

Default Re: Knee injuries are reaching epic proportions in the NBA.

I know it's early in the season, but I really think that the NBA season is too long. They'll never shorten it because all anybody cares about is money, but it's not hard to think that if these guys were only playing 60-70 games a year instead of 82-100+ their bodies would hold up a little better.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I have no proof, but I would venture to say that knee injuries are actually down in the last 30 years. It's hard to remember guys who amounted to nothing because of injuries mainly because they amounted to nothing. The advancement of shoe technology, body awareness, medical awareness, healthier living, weight training, training period etc.. has to have led to lower numbers across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no proof, but I would venture to say that knee injuries are actually down in the last 30 years. It's hard to remember guys who amounted to nothing because of injuries mainly because they amounted to nothing. The advancement of shoe technology, body awareness, medical awareness, healthier living, weight training, training period etc.. has to have led to lower numbers across the board.
    Well I have no proof either, but I've been around forever, (64 years) and I've followed sports forever. It seems to me it's been at it's worst the last few years.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    I agree. I'd like to see some numbers.

One might argue since the NBA didn't play defense in the 60s and 70s, the numbers are bound to be higher now.

As far as your list, Aldridge put in 42 minutes the other night. Can't be that bad.

And I'm not sure I'd believe anything on Miles...

Banging knees is bound to happen in the NBA. At least it's not the NFL.

It would seem that Daniels could be on the list (chronic tendinitis). Barkley and Kenny were talking the other day about Webber and how you only have so many jumps in your legs and that fortunate for Chris, he is a well rounded player who plays smart and effectively, particularly in the high post.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's why they need to fire the Pacers trainers!

Second line.

Guys are bigger nowadays and carrying around that extra weight is had on the joints--even with better shoes. One thing to consider though is how far medicine has come along in the last 20 years. Kellogg's career was done due to knee injuries before he even got to his late 20s. Now those types of injuries are treatable. The player is never the same, but you've got a lot of guys who end up extending their careers and playing with chronic injuries who would otherwise be retired.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoPacer View Post
    Guys are bigger nowadays and carrying around that extra weight is had on the joints--even with better shoes. One thing to consider though is how far medicine has come along in the last 20 years. Kellogg's career was done due to knee injuries before he even got to his late 20s. Now those types of injuries are treatable. The player is never the same, but you've got a lot of guys who end up extending their careers and playing with chronic injuries who would otherwise be retired.
    Nice post Chicago Pacer. I wanted to add also that with the technology guys will have 2-5 more injuries on that same joint and be able to return. The days of a guy retiring because of "a bum leg" or "don't have the lift he used to" are gone.

I do think the increased play at an early age is a factor. Lots of grade school kids play 60 game seasons, with 2 hour practices every night. Then play AAU or other leagues in the summer.

My gut feel is that can't be good long term.

I don't have any stats or studies to back that up though.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

You think it's because the game is much more faster? Remember at the start of Pacers Training camp how our whole team was getting hurt. Must be a reason.
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes