Thread: Boilers deserve respect!

Default Boilers deserve respect!

9 wins in a row. 2 against a top 10 opponent (Wisconsin). 4 on the road.

Their only Big Ten loss was against a very good Michigan St. team without their best all-around player (Robbie Hummel).

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for when the rankings come out, but if they're not at least in the top 20, the voters are idiots.

I think there's a very strong case to be made for them as the best team in both the conference and the state. We'll find out over the next three games as they've got MSU in West Lafatette on Tuesday and then head to Bloomington on the 19th. I think that'll be a game for the ages. Chris Kramer guarding Eric Gordon - It doesn't get much better.

If you didn't get to watch the Purdue/Wisconsin game, you missed a great game. Purdue built a good lead and then Wisconsin battled back. There was a great chess match with lineups between Ryan and Painter. There was some very gutty play by Chris Kramer, who managed to score 12 points even though he couldn't shoot from beyond the free throw line due to a sprained wrist on his shooting hand, and Keaton Grant, who was limping all over the court on knees that he'll have surgery on after the season and yet still managed to come up with the steal and breakaway dunk that sealed the game. At one point in the second half, there were 6 players on the floor going after the same loose ball. This game had everything you could possibly hope for in a college basketball game. I think the game against IU on the 19th will be just as good (with a similar result, I hope).

The officiating was bad in the game, but it was equally bad both ways so it didn't affect the game too much. I'm just not used to seeing Big 10 officials call so many namby-pamby handchecking and off the ball fouls.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: Boilers deserve respect!

I'm not a Purdue fan but they have a very good team.

I didn't think they would be so good this year. I figured it would take a year or so for them to be so good but I guess not.

They are defiantly a top 20 team. I'd say probably around 15 or so. 9-1 in the Big Ten or 10-1 something like that anyway damn impressive.

That IU game will be a great game. It's gonna be huge if both teams keep winning until then.

I figured NIT this year - thought we were just too young. Dangerous NIT team but no way did I think we'd top .500 in the conf.

MSU will be big. We swept Wisc so we're at least good and pretty much a tourney lock but maybe we just matched up well with them - the MSU game will tell us just how far we've come. Of course we only lost by 3 in their place which isn't discouraging.

The real key for this team is we're tough to defend. We don't have a go-to player but we have 7 players who can give you double figures on any night.

We'll be top-20 anyway. Parrish had us at 15 in his poll. The early season loss to Wofford really hurt but it's gotten to the point where you can say that was a team starting 4 freshmen and they've grown up and figured it out.

EDIT: Maybe not - ESPN poll has us at 23. I know our SOS isn't real hot but sweeping Wisc and winning 9 straight should count for more than that IMO. That's OK - let 'em carry a chip.

Next year we could be scary good. We have a bunch of good freshmen but none are good enough that they should be one-and-done. Heck, the way they've exceeded my expectations and keep getting better, we could be scary good by tournament time. But we still have MSU, then IU on the road.
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 02-11-2008 at 02:42 PM.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't wait for the IU/Purdue game this year. It's a disgrace they only play once.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Secret Agent Man-O.N.E. James Bond's Avatar

Purdue is my team.
    I'm going to college there next year.
    My mom is an alum of Purdue.
    And Robbie Hummel is my second cousin. (My uncle's cousin)

So I'm pushing for them this year.

IU fan much more than Purdue fan.

The way Coach Painter is running that program, and the way those kids are playing has made me a believer.

GO BOILERS! (except in Bloomington)

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I have to agree the the game was great and the officals were horrible. Could you imagine what the national media would be saying if Wis. had not been lights out at the foul line.

I like the fact that Purdue is not getting the respect they have earned from the national media. I just hope that the selection crew see our efforts.

Michigan State was fortunate to get a win the last time against Purdue. I think the defense really affected last time. As for the game against IU, wow, it is going to be amazing. I can't wait to see Kramer vs Gordon. I just hope that Moore doesn't try to match shot for shot with IU. That was the only thing that concerned me at Wis.

woman without a team

On 950 they were talking about how The Star dropped their Purdue beat writer. ( I assume you weren't listening because it was on the game time as your radio show. A caller doesn't understand why The Star paid to send you to the Insight Bowl for a week, the Super Bowl for a week, and now they're going to send you to the Olympics for 2 1/2 weeks, but they can't afford to have someone cover Purdue.) The host of the show suggested that they have cover Purdue.

Purdue's playing really well right now. They're ranked #19 in the AP poll (which is better than the ESPN poll anyway). If they're hitting their shots they can beat just about anyone. IU is going to have their hands full next week.

As an IU fan I have to admit Painter and the Boilers are having a spectacular year. I got to watch them against Wisconsin the other night (well, early morning) and was impressed with their defense.

Good for the Indiana schools - 4 in the top 25.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually like that IU-Purdue only plays once. It makes that one game mean that much more. This could possibly be the biggest Indiana-Purdue game in the past decade. Not only are bragging rights on the line, but also a shot at winning the Big Ten.

Right now, I'd have to agree that Purdue is the better TEAM. I feel like IU has much better talent, but they haven't played near their ability yet. They're beginning to put it together though (recent wins @ Illinois, and @ OSU). It's gonna be one helluva game in Bloomington. Hopefully both teams win out and IU and Purdue go into the game with only 1 conference loss.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As an IU fan I have to admit Painter and the Boilers are having a spectacular year. I got to watch them against Wisconsin the other night (well, early morning) and was impressed with their defense.

Good for the Indiana schools - 4 in the top 25.
    I was impressed that they didn't seem to miss Scott Martin in their latest game.

Anybody know when he'll be back.

BOILER UP!

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    I was impressed that they didn't seem to miss Scott Martin in their latest game.

Anybody know when he'll be back.

BOILER UP!
    Ugh, I really hate this catch phrase. Far too reminiscent of the "Guns Up!" crap from Texas Tech.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    ... "Guns Up!" crap from Texas Tech.
    You mean from the Pacers, right?

Wow....Boilers are killing MSU right now at the half. I can't hate..they are a really good basketball team. I'd love to have Hummel at IU.

And Purdue beats MSU.

Painter should win Coach of the Year, and it shouldn't even be close.

I guess we're for real.

Now comes the burden of heightened expectations - having to worry about a good showing in the Big Ten Tournament, thinking we should make the Sweet Sixteen at least, start arguing about seeding in the NCAA's.

Life's so much simpler when your team royally sucks.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

They just need to take it one game at a time.

Painter will keep them grounded. They are young and impressionable, plus Kramer is pretty level-headed.

I spent way more time watching the Purdue game than I did the Pacer game. Sadly, I had all the confidence in the world in the Boilers, and none in the Pacers...didn't hurt that the Purdue game was in highdef and the Pacer game wasn't....

I'm absolutely gonna have to make it down to a Purdue game this year. I've never set foot in Mackey Arena....I know the right couple people, I can probably get on the court....

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

woman without a team

Anyone see the thing at half time about how good the teams in Indiana are? Anyone else expect them to add "Except the Pacers, that is."

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I knew from the start of the season that Purdue would be a top 3 team in the Big Ten. When ever I told my friends that IU winning the Big Ten is not a guarantee they laughed. I am an IU fan who likes watching this Purdue team play. I JUST HATE MOST OF THEIR FANS.