Thread: Thank you, Mike Wells

Mood

Default Thank you, Mike Wells

For shining light on a scam by the NY press, that we swalled hook, line, and sinker:

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/
    Mike Wells
    Indystar.com

February 08, 2008
    New York, New York
    Posted by Mike Wells

You knew the question was going to come up.

It was inevitable.

New York. Jermaine O'Neal. Isiah Thomas.

Need I say more?

You would think something was wrong if O'Neal wasn't asked about Thomas and the Knicks.

And of course, O'Neal answered the questions after Wednesday's game at Madison Square Garden. That's his nature. You'll never hear anybody say the Pacers forward isn't media friendly.

Alan Hahn, the Knicks beat writer for Newsday, sent me the transcript of what O'Neal said.

I went online and read the New York Daily News on Friday morning.

Here's the first paragraph of the story: While most of the Knicks act and talk like they want nothing to do with Isiah Thomas, Pacers forward/center Jermaine O'Neal has made it clear that he would gladly accept a trade to New York.

I found that pretty interesting because I didn't recall seeing that in the transcript. Mark Montieth, who covered the game in New York, also said he didn稚 hear O誰eal say that.

So I went back to what Hahn sent me.

O'Neal was asked if he wanted a fresh start somewhere else you desire or would you accept.

Here's O'Neal's response to the question:

"In this business you gotta be willing to believe that at some point when your team's struggling you're going to be traded. I would accept it. I would accept it. I would accept being in Indiana. I知 going to accept whatever the business brings to me, but I'm going to handle what I can handle and that's my body."

O'Neal didn't single out any team. It's no secret that O誰eal has high respect for Thomas and the Knicks are one of the teams he wouldn't be upset about getting traded to. He痴 said in the past that Thomas is a father figure to him. Thomas told New York reporters Thursday, "Jermaine's one of my favorite people on Earth."

Conrad Brunner from Pacers.com and I asked O'Neal about the story after practice Friday. He gave me a puzzled look when I mentioned the story to him.

"I never said I wanted to play for the Knicks," O'Neal said.

I went back to the transcript, again.

O'Neal was asked would the Knicks be a good fit for him.

"I don't ever like to talk about me fitting into another situation while I知 here," he told the reporters at the Garden. "My obligation is to the Indiana Pacers right now and any situation that's going to present itself when it's time, I'll be willing to address it then."

The Daily News writer must have realized the same thing because he later wrote, "O'Neal didn't want to directly address coming to New York out of respect for the Pacers, but said Madison Square Garden was "one of the most desired atmospheres to play in basketball."

O'Neal's name will to continue to come up in trade rumors, but I can't imagine a team trying to acquire him until he's healthy. Remember, he's battled numerous injuries the past few seasons, which has caused his scoring average and elite status in the league to drop. He'll make $44 million in the final two years of his contract. He can opt out of those final two years this summer, but that's unlikely considering his injury situation.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thank you, Mike Wells

I wonder if there's ever going to be any accountability for irresponsible journalism? It's starting to get out of control. Anybody can pretty much make up and kind of crap they want to these days and not worry about the consequences.

Anyway, I believe that JO's going nowhere. At least this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if there's ever going to be any accountability for irresponsible journalism? It's starting to get out of control. Anybody can pretty much make up and kind of crap they want to these days and not worry about the consequences.

Anyway, I believe that JO's going nowhere. At least this season.
    I agree. I hope he comes back 100%, once and for all. We sincerely lack a low post scoring threat.

JO plays in the low post?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    JO plays?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This is what upsets Peck specifically, that too often they spend too long feeding the low post.

Now in JO's defense I've counted his possession time AFTER he gets the ball and he's pretty good about going to the rim or passing quickly. However prior to getting him the ball the team in the past would often struggle and fumble for half the shot clock trying to get a pass into him with established position, but that's often not really on him.

Anyway, what sucks is all that money for NOTHING. But if he is playing the kind of defense he has shown the last few years AND scoring at something closer to 47-48%, especially if he's drawing fouls too, then I love having him here.

Meanwhile, not only did JO not say the crap he was accused of...AGAIN (ahem, LA anyone), he also handled the questions in an outstanding fashion. He doesn't skirt around some truth where you can read between the lines, he has kept making the point that if THE TEAM decides to move him that he would accept it and if THE TEAM decides to keep him he'd be happy with that.

He's yet to throw anyone under the bus publicly, he hasn't had a David Harrison "pollution" rant or even what would now be an understandable "I'm sick of the negative spin this team always gets" rant. He's respectful and even tempered and positive about both his future and the Pacers.

I just don't get how people have a problem with the clearly more mature JO. Maybe 5 years ago he was brash, flicking his jersey, jawing at refs endlessly and even adding the finger wag briefly. But that's long gone.

His only vice right now is being injured. It is annoying, but it sure didn't make Grant Hill a bad guy now did it?

BTW, I agree, good job Mike, this is more what we are looking for. And if what had turned up had backed the NY version then that would be fine too. We just want the truth and less sensationalism instead of reasoned thought.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I just don't get how people have a problem with the clearly more mature JO. Maybe 5 years ago he was brash, flicking his jersey, jawing at refs endlessly and even adding the finger wag briefly. But that's long gone.
    100% disagree. I don't think that's true at all. He was always a thoughtful, well-spoken guy. Still is, always will be. He still acts brash, he'll still flick his jersey (just hasn't played enough lately to do so), he'll still jaw at refs (I'll grant he's toned it down, but still), and the finger wag was like a year or two ago at the latest. So I suppose I should say 90% disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    JO plays?
    JO?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Totally O/T...

Query regarding pwee31's signature:

Is cracking corn anything like cutting cheese?
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    JO?
    ?

"I never said I wanted to play for the Knicks," O'Neal said.

Just reading that out loud and thinking of how he might have said that has me laughing my *** off....
    kind of like "oh god the knicks!? I mean isiah is awesome and all but the knicks!? we all know they are in trouble for years to come! I'd have to play into my 50's to become relivant!"
    haha
    just goes to show how the media twists things.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I never said I wanted to play for the Knicks

If you get to thinkin you池e a person of some influence, try orderin somebody else痴 dog around..

LOL. . . obviously!!!
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes