Thread: Tinsley's a good guy + Video

Default Tinsley's a good guy + Video

Tinsley's coat drive turns out to be hot ticket
    By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com
    February 11, 2008

PLAINFIELD, Ind. -- Jamaal Tinsley had a hard life growing up in a poor Brooklyn neighborhood.
    Despite the difficult surroundings, the Indiana Pacers point guard always had a roof over his head, food in his mouth and clothes on his back.
    Now Tinsley, the same person some in the city have labeled a "thug" and cast as bad for the Pacers because of several off-court incidents over the past 16 months, continues to give back to the community.
    Tinsley held his third annual coat drive at Dick's Sporting Goods locations in Plainfield and Carmel on Sunday. Fans were given up to two tickets to Tuesday's game against the Boston Celtics for donating new or gently used coats. Tinsley said the coats will go to those in need.
    An estimated 200 coats were donated in Plainfield, according to the Pacers, who did not have figures yet for the Carmel site, which was held later Sunday.
    "It's something different for me, coming from the community I came from, knowing I had the opportunity to give back. That's what I signed up for," said Tinsley, who donated five coats. "I feel blessed to be in a situation to do something like this. You have to feel good. I'm glad people were nice enough to come out here in the cold to donate their coats."
    Tinsley was greeted with a warm ovation as he walked into the Dick's in Plainfield.
    He, along with a couple of Pacemates and Boomer, the Pacers mascot, signed autographs and took pictures with all of the fans that stood in line to donate their coats. Coats were spilling out of the bins people put their donations in.
    "We have liked the Pacers for a while and we have been blessed enough that we have extra coats that (we) can donate," said Berneta Moore of Avon, who donated five coats.
    Tinsley is showing a side of himself that not many fans know about. He said most people see him as the person who has been involved in three off-court incidents since October 2006, and a player that has dealt with injuries the past few seasons.
    He said there's another side of him. The side that pumps gas for people, visits Riley Children's Hospital and routinely volunteers for the team's community relation events.
    "People are always going to have their opinion, but you have to get to know me and see me out in this type of environment," Tinsley said. "I interact just like anybody else. Growing up in a big city, you see other people struggling. I was lucky enough to be successful, so I wanted to give back. This is my third year doing this."
    Shannon Medley, 12, said he thinks the Pacers will get their season turned around and he's a fan of Tinsley.
    "Even though they've had things happen in the past, they'll pull together and get past what happened before," he said.

Video

Default Re: Tinsley's a good guy + Video

If you watch the video he tells some dude he's out for at least three more weeks.

If we can stay close to the last playoff spot, and we get our guys back healthy, good things could happen!!! We just gotta play hard
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

OK
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike Tyson just recently did charity work in South Africa too.

What they do in their private life defines them, not how they act when the cameras are on.

Wait a minute. These coats all came from the coat closet at Cloud 9!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What they do in their private life defines them, not how they act when the cameras are on.
    And every time I've met Jamaal (no cameras present) he's acted the same way. Other then Jeff Foster he's easily the most fun and friendly Pacer to talk to.

You can dislike that he likes to go out at night if you want, but that doesn't make him a bad person.