Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick Carlise to Pacers fans: "Get out there and support your team."

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rick Carlise to Pacers fans: "Get out there and support your team."

Just thought I'd mention that Carlise was on the Eddie White/Kravitz show which has Kevin Lee filling in for White today, and Rick had some pretty nice things to say about how Indianapolis is such a great place to live and even said he and his family have still been around. (Probably not news, but oh well)

He also said he really liked what the Pacers are trying to do and the moves they have made. He likes the younger guys we have on the squad and said he hopes Jamaal and Jermaine can get back on the court soon.

He said he believes this team could make a little run in the playoffs, this year.

Before he hung up he said to Pacers fans to "Get out there and support your team, they need all the help they can get, and this team could potentially make a run in the playoffs."

Just thought I'd like to inform you guys what the former coach had to say today.

Rick is definitely a class act, and it was very unfortunate all the bull **** he had to put up with, but I'd just like to say I appreciate all the kind words he had to say about the city and the Pacers.

Thanks, Rick.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rick Carlise to Pacers fans: "Get out there and support your team."

Are the Pacers still paying him?

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are the Pacers still paying him?
    As far as I know they are.

The problem with Rick is he's too nice for his own good.

Right on, RC!
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I was just wondering. He might feel obligated to do something for the free paycheck. Maybe if he shared some of it with me, I'd be attending a few more games....

Rick, you out there?

Banned

I like Rick, but he clearly has an Pacers-bias. I remember earlier in the season, him predicting that we'd finish as a top-4 seed in the East. It's hard to support mediocrity when ticket prices are so high. And for the "cheap tickets", the upper levels, the games so hard to see it's not even worth it. It's much better on TV.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    I remember earlier in the season, him predicting that we'd finish as a top-4 seed in the East.

4th in the East right now would be 6 and 1/2 games ahead of where the Pacers currently stand. If JO, Tin, and Daniels were healthy this season (or what the Pacers were reporting going into the season), we might be there...

I'm not saying that the Pacers would be that good, just that the East is that weak....

Point in case: With such a record in the West, they'd be tied with Portland for 10th - - - Not even sniffing the playoffs!

Guess ESPN can't run the East/West commercial any more...

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    I like Rick, but he clearly has an Pacers-bias. I remember earlier in the season, him predicting that we'd finish as a top-4 seed in the East. It's hard to support mediocrity when ticket prices are so high. And for the "cheap tickets", the upper levels, the games so hard to see it's not even worth it. It's much better on TV.
    that is not a legit excuse. $20, 17 rows up
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

the thing is that carlisle doesn't realize...the fans don't want to support this team. They don't want them to win. They want tinsley/jo/granger traded so they can make a run at lottery gold. But you know how it is with the lotto...a ticket don't mean your going to hit jackpot.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    that is not a legit excuse. $20, 17 rows up
    It is when you're making less than $25K a year.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

As far as I know they are.

I think that's definitely the case. That's why I don't buy the "cold" angle. Maybe he's not emotional and tries to avoid dealing with things in an angry way, but also ends up not effusing warmth either (ala Don Nelson) but he's always been as stand up as you could want.

He should have told DW to take a leap when they left him hanging as they waited to see if Isiah could get out of his CBA crap. He very rarely threw a player under the bus either. I recall one time ripping on Ron's effort in the paper, and Ron came back the next game on fire. But for all the Tinsley talk and how JT didn't like playing for him, for all of Jackson's tirades in Rick's face, the guy never returned the favor.

The brawl team went to the 2nd round, and won 2 games there against the defending champs all without Ron and with JO/Tins facing the now standard injury bugs. To me that required Rick's calm approach to smooth things over and keep them on track.

You look back and think Rick has some pretty valid complaining points if he wanted to handle things that way.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I found some $10 seats 1 section over from Rat, and frankly I like them. Not the treat that seat for Portland way, but not the dog's butt either, even if I don't like MR to know I feel that way.

Of course that wasn't box office, but then brokers and scalpers aren't exactly in a sellers market right now. Even the box office will get you in for 20, maybe 10 right? Heck, move a bit closer once the game starts.

Being at a game is always more enjoyable than watching on TV. At least in the first 10-15 rows of the upper level, and higher if it's more of a full house.

Guess ESPN can't run the East/West commercial any more...
    Well there is one thing, there is only 1 team undefeated vs the Western Conference so far....Boston. It's a lot like when the Pacers had the best record vs the West in the 61 win season. People said it was built on East fodder, but the fact was they were playing at the top level and as Detroit caught them they were too, which the Lakers soon found out.

The East is a wreck except for Detroit and Boston, but that's all it takes.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-11-2008 at 08:57 PM.

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

YOU GO, RICK!
    haha. :P

Some people want it to happen, some
    wish it would happen, & others make it happen.
    ..Michael Jordan.

Pressure is something you feel when
    you don't know what the hell you're
    doing.
    ..Peyton Manning.

Mood

It's not necessarily that the fans don't want to support the team, but money is tight in the world we live in right now. I may not get season tickets, but I can get a few games (half Pacer/ half Fever for the 2 daughters) worth of the 10$ seats for my little fam.

Ahhh - the good old days when Rick was coaching (sigh).
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

woman without a team

I used to swear that there were no bad seats in Conseco until we went to the game when they retired Reggie's number. We were something like 3 rows from the top towards the corner. I thought the seats $ucked.

Rick is a class act as someone said. I don't disagree that he had to be replaced but if you think about what all this franchise went through I don't think there is another coach I would have rather have coaching this team then Rick Carlise. I actually hope he coaches the Pacers again, maybe replace Jim down the line when it is time.

It's not really about supporting a team that wins. I just want to know that this team is going forward and not nowhere. That's my problem. I mean really as the roster is right now it's probably a lottery roster for the next 5 years.

I know when I started really getting into the Pacers IT was the coach. Now those teams were not title contenders but you could see they were going somewhere. That they had a direction and while they barely made the playoffs a couple years and they lost in the first round it was ok because you could see the team taking that next step every year.

That's what I want to see. I want to see this team take the next step. Now I don't live in Indy and really to spend the money on a mini road trip there just hasn't been in my plans but no matter if this team is winning or losing I don't care much. I just want to see them taking that next step in winning. It's not a quick process, you have to take it one step at a time.

If I lived in Indiana, I'd get season seats especially now since no one is buying tickets.

I remember when the Raptors were crap, you could get seats anywhere, now you can't even get lower bowl seats unless you pay $150 + for em. Then there's upper bowl but who wants to sit up there lol. . .Even those are sold out
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I used to swear that there were no bad seats in Conseco until we went to the game when they retired Reggie's number. We were something like 3 rows from the top towards the corner. I thought the seats $ucked.
    I still haven't sat in a seat in Conseco that has changed my belief in that opinion. Not a bad seat in the house.

I used to swear that there were no bad seats in Conseco until we went to the game when they retired Reggie's number. We were something like 3 rows from the top towards the corner. I thought the game $ucked.
    Fixed.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

while i appreciate what rick is saying and all that, i don't think he or anyone can get all the people who used to go to games and aren't now to go mainly because they don't believe this current team has any real shot of making any noise at all in the playoffs even if they manage it.
    i don't look at this squad on a given night against anyone and believe the pacers should beat this team or that team. but, i do look at any team and think that the other squad should either beat the pacers or at least has a pretty good shot. i suspect many fans in the area feel the same way about this team- they don't see a contender or even a pretender but a team that could be in the playoffs because the east is just so awful.
    nice of rick to be the supportive cheerleader and all but, it most likely won't help attendance any.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Fixed.
    I admit the seats weren't as bad as the game, but I'd never sit up there again.

Rick Carlisle . . . I miss those days now.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    while i appreciate what rick is saying and all that, i don't think he or anyone can get all the people who used to go to games and aren't now to go mainly because they don't believe this current team has any real shot of making any noise at all in the playoffs even if they manage it.
    i don't look at this squad on a given night against anyone and believe the pacers should beat this team or that team. but, i do look at any team and think that the other squad should either beat the pacers or at least has a pretty good shot. i suspect many fans in the area feel the same way about this team- they don't see a contender or even a pretender but a team that could be in the playoffs because the east is just so awful.
    nice of rick to be the supportive cheerleader and all but, it most likely won't help attendance any.
    Actually, the team did well early in the season with beating Utah and Dallas. I just wish we were at full strength...