Thread: Cry Me A River: Popovich blasts the Gasol trade

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Cry Me A River: Popovich blasts the Gasol trade

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3239478

Grizzlies head coach Marc Iavaroni has heard the critics lambasting Memphis' management for the Pau Gasol trade to the Lakers, most notably the strong words from San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich. He just chooses to ignore them.

"[Popovich is] a great coach and they do a good job there," Iavaroni told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "I don't read into anyone else's comments. That's just the nature of the league. People have a right to their opinion. We're just taking care of our best interests."
    Popovich slammed Memphis for a trade that many around the NBA thought favored the Lakers.

"What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," Popovich told SI.com. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense (i.e. damage the interests of the Spurs). I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade."

In the deal, Memphis acquired Kwame Brown and his expiring $9 million contract, rookie Javaris Crittenton, the rights to Marc Gasol and first-round picks in 2008 and 2010.

As a result of the trade, the Grizzlies could have as much as $17 million available under the salary cap that could help them sign free agents over the summer.

--------------

This is annoying, Popovich couldn't care less about Memphis, he's just mad that the Lakers are going to challenge the perenially boring Spurs for the title this year. That is, if the Spurs can even make a serious push for the title, their antique collection of players is continuing to age and they're third in their division. If this had happened between Memphis and, say, some mediocre team in the Eastern Conference, you wouldn't be hearing a word out of Popovich.

Between all this and the article about teams making trades to counteract Duncan is making me root for LA and the Suns and root against the Spurs. These trades were made to compete with teams with comparable or better records than the Spurs such as Denver, Utah, Dallas, and New Orleans just as much as they were made to compete with the SAS. It's not all about SAS in the West right now, defending champs or not.

Default Re: Cry Me A River: Popovich blasts the Gasol trade

i didnt think it wuz that one sided the grizzlies get javaris and 2 1st rounds picks along with being able to sign a good free agent for gasol who didnt wanna be there neway

Regardless of the motivation, the fact that deals are made where one team gets a great deal of basketball value because the other team is looking purely for financial relief does alter the competitive landscape in the NBA, and in a way I don't particularly like.

We don't have to look far from home to know that had Detroit not been able to pick up Rasheed for a bag of stale popcorn and a flat diet coke, that our history over the last four years could've been significantly different.

Had Rasheed finished the year in Atlanta, then it likely would've been us facing the injured and fractured Lakers. We could've been the defending champion in Auburn Hills that night, and it's likely that the level of animosity between the two teams would not have approached the levels they were at when the Brawl occurred. Would the brawl have ever occurred, at all?

Now, obviously that's idle speculation, and I'm not blaming the brawl and the subsequent Pacer meltdown on the Rasheed deal. Dumars was simply in a position to make a smart move and taking advantage of the kind of odd rules created by salary caps, luxury taxes, etc.

However, there will always be something that feels a little off to me when the purpose of both teams isn't to improve their own play on the floor. Memphis clearly was dumping salary, for virtually no reasonable return, for non-basketball reasons. It harkens back to the bad old days of Ted Stepien in Cleveland, and yes, Sam Nassi here in Indy.

I recognize the business aspect of the sport, but I do wish there were some way to prevent grossly uneven trades where one team clearly looking to just save money at the expense of quality of play.

It's my concern that the Pacers organization will be accused of the same thing in the not-too-distant future. I'll understand making financial moves, to some degree, but if we just start dumping salary with no real plan, I'll start having flashbacks to the early '80's.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i didnt think it wuz that one sided the grizzlies get javaris and 2 1st rounds picks along with being able to sign a good free agent for gasol who didnt wanna be there neway
    Considering that the 1st rounders will likely be late first rounders, and that Javaris is little more than an interesting prospect at this point, the statistically most likely outcome of this deal is that they traded arguably the most productive player in their franchise's history for three players that will be rotational players, and maybe no starters.

Take a look at the history of 1st round picks...most of them bust. There is certainly value in the opportunity, but many get too enamored of the potential of guys whose only attribute is that they haven't had a chance to prove that they suck, yet.

As far as free agents go, who are they targeting? The Griz have been on the market for a while, and this move was made for strictly financial reasons.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where was Pop's ritious indignation when Detroit obtains Rasheed Wallace from Boston for a left over cup of beer and some stale popcorn?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Considering that the 1st rounders will likely be late first rounders, and that Javaris is little more than an interesting prospect at this point, the statistically most likely outcome of this deal is that they traded arguably the most productive player in their franchise's history for three players that will be rotational players, and maybe no starters.

Take a look at the history of 1st round picks...most of them bust. There is certainly value in the opportunity, but many get too enamored of the potential of guys whose only attribute is that they haven't had a chance to prove that they suck, yet.

As far as free agents go, who are they targeting? The Griz have been on the market for a while, and this move was made for strictly financial reasons.
    I'm not saying dumping salary is a good thing, but it seems to be something that occurs in some cyclical fashion with a lot of small market teams. Cleveland and Indiana both dumped salary at one point in time, as you mentioned. But both of the teams made the NBA Finals 15-20 years later and both teams were/are contenders for long periods of time as well. I don't think Memphis will be doing this forever, it's just cyclical.

Memphis is a team that doesn't get a ton of revenue compared to larger market teams, and to be paying someone like Gasol so much money when he wasn't really going to deliver much in terms of championships or deep playoffs runs is bad for business. Gasol is alright, but he's overpaid and when are a small market team is struggling with an overpaid player who is disliked by a majority of the fanbase for being soft, something has to give. Gasol is not a proven winner and is best used as a second or third option on a team like the Lakers who can afford to pay him and have a proven leader like Kobe.

True, a lot of first round picks bust, but just about every good NBA player was drafted in the first round as well. Memphis has four picks in the next three first rounds right now, and assuming they have 3 second round picks, that's seven picks. I'd like my odds that at least one of these players turns out to be a fairly decent starter if not better. How else are you going to find good young talent except by drafting it? They have some nice young talent on that team right now and if they are pleasantly surprised by one of these seven picks, they'll be okay.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When I saw this quote in the local paper yesterday I wondered how it would be taken. The local writer added a little more to it, and it probably was given with a hint of sarcasm since Pop has never been one to blame anyone else for his team not succeeding.

"All those opposed: Popovich is apparently not a fan of the trade last week that sent Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers.

In return for Gasol, a former All-Star, the Grizzlies received guard Javaris Crittenton and former first-round choice Kwame Brown, generally regarded as a draft bust, as well as two future first-round selections.

“The L.A. move is great for L.A.,” Popovich said. “What they were thinking in Memphis is beyond comprehension.”

Speculation abounds that Memphis owner Michael Heisley pushed the move to cut salary in anticipation of selling the team.

“There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense,” Popovich said, tongue planted firmly in cheek. "

At the bottom of the story at the link below.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....a3d3fe36.html

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Where was Pop's ritious indignation when Detroit obtains Rasheed Wallace from Boston for a left over cup of beer and some stale popcorn?
    Hey now, don't leave out the bag of Cheeto's.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    “There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense,” Popovich said, tongue planted firmly in cheek.
    That's how I took it.

And that's how they made it sound when reading it aloud on ABC during the Spurs/Cs game earlier.

And after the "trade committee" remark he also added "And I should be on it," according to the ABC folk.

This all sounds similar to the Duncan comment after the Shaq deal when he was asked if he was honered that all these WC teams were "loading" up to deal with him and the Spurs. He was like “I'm not honored in any way...I'm a little pissed off. Maybe I should have missed a couple more shots.”

Pop and Timmy are both pretty well-known for their dry, sardonic senses of humor and I think that's all this is.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    They didn't get Rasheed from Boston... he was traded to the Hawks then sent to Detroit.... and maybe this is why Pop was so pissed off:

Lakers were the only team made aware of Gasol's availability
    Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 7:32 am EST

New York Post columnist Peter Vecsey called the deal that sent Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers "the Memphis Grizzlies' tax-deductible donation to the Lakers.''

Vecsey reported that other than the Lakers not a single team was approached regarding Gasol's manifest availability. Had they been, there's every reason to believe the Grizzlies could've gleaned more. At the very least, there's no way Gasol should've been traded for next to nothing except promises of something to come unless Brian Cardinal's contract ($6.3M/$6.7M after this year) was part of the outgoing package.

Guaranteed, Pat Riley would've said "yes" to that in a heartbeat, as evidenced by the Shaq deal. Phoenix insisted Miami assume Marcus Banks' remaining three ($4.2M/$4.55M/$4.847M) years after this one. I assure you, that would've been a Steve Kerr stipulation no matter where Shawn Marion wound up.

Source: New York Post

THAT'S RIGHT NO ONE ELSE.... NOT THE SPURS NOT THE PACERS NO ONE BUT THE FREAKING LAKERS!!!!
    Last edited by SamBear; 02-10-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by SamBear View Post
    THAT'S RIGHT NO ONE ELSE.... NOT THE SPURS NOT THE PACERS NO ONE BUT THE FREAKING LAKERS!!!!
    one would think having a couple larry o'brien's would ease the suffering over not being offered gasol.
    This is the darkest timeline.

That's not the point... but oh well.

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

The Spurs could not have even matched what LA offered.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Chris Wallace was on Chad Ford's "Daily Dish" after the trade and said that LA was his first choice. He approached Kupchak specifically because they had the biggest expiring available in Kwame (not sure that's true, but it's what he said), two young prospects they wanted (JC Superstar and Mark Gasol), and future picks available.

He said the Lakers could give them flexibility and round first round picks (two of the first-rounders being JC and Gasol, who he said would clearly be a first rounder in this upcoming draft if he hadn't already been taken) and no other team could offer something similar.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 02-10-2008 at 09:55 PM.

he's right about that. I don't see another team dealing what amounts to three 1st rounders, plus expiring contracts.

Obviously, he's being asked to slice payroll, not get the best players available. he did the best he could. The rest is sour grapes.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Chris Wallace was on Chad Ford's "Daily Dish" after the trade and said that LA was his first choice. He approached Kupchak specifically because they had the biggest expiring available in Kwame (not sure that's true, but it's what he said), two young prospects they wanted (JC Superstar and Mark Gasol), and future picks available.

He said the Lakers could give them flexibility and round first round picks (two of the first-rounders being JC and Gasol, who he said would clearly be a first rounder in this upcoming draft if he hadn't already been taken) and no other team could offer something similar.
    Right off the top of my head, if the Timberwolves were in the market for a marqee player, Theo Rattliff's expiring contract is bigger than Kwame's, and they've got more prospects, and better picks, too.

Now, if Wallace says that the Lakers had the biggest expiring of the places they were willing to send Gasol (contenders), then I'll buy that, but it took me 5 seconds to think of a team that could have put together a much better package.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Right off the top of my head, if the Timberwolves were in the market for a marqee player, Theo Rattliff's expiring contract is bigger than Kwame's, and they've got more prospects, and better picks, too.
    Um, no. Minnesota would not deal a top-5 lottery pick for gasol. So no, you didn't think of a better one.

Minnesota also isn't dealing Jefferson or Brewer, so what prospect do they even have?

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

I'm not sure I would put much stock in what Vecsey reports.

Don't forget that it's been widely reported that Chicago turned down going over the cap in order to take on Gasol and I'm sure other teams had the knowledge that Gasol was on the block...

Sometimes it pays to hang onto or acquire expiring contracts. Unfortunately, the Pacers have not benefited from one recently (that I can think of).

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SamBear View Post
    They didn't get Rasheed from Boston... he was traded to the Hawks then sent to Detroit.... [/B]
    Essentially a 3 team trade that got sidetracked for a day or two.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

...and atlanta got josh smith out of the ****ing deal. Spare me.

I'm just curious what Memphis plans on doing with Crittendon. Are one of their other young PGs going to be dealt, or is Crittendon going to be developed as a 2?

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    I'm just curious what Memphis plans on doing with Crittendon. Are one of their other young PGs going to be dealt, or is Crittendon going to be developed as a 2?
    They're being a little coy about it.

I've heard their GM Chris Wallace say that they'd all fight it out for a while, but there would only be two left by the start of next year. And he also said that they might even move one pre-deadline if someone threw the right offer at them. He expects lots of calls.

But then...Stein had something recently (the Weekend Dime maybe? Can't remember) that said that may not be necessary though and that he's heard others say they might groom JC Superstar as a 2.

So who knows? Regardless, my guess is they're not moving Conley -- now or otherwise.

Pop isn't fooling anyone. Would pop be crying if Gasol were traded to Chicago? Pop is upset for one reason and one reason only: this trade hurts the Spurs chances of getting to the finals.

Default Cuban joins Popovich in dislike of Gasol trade

Cuban joins Popovich in dislike of Gasol trade
    Wire Reports
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008

In Tuesday's editions of the Dallas Morning News, Mavs' owner Mark Cuban said he was bothered by the Lakers-Grizzlies trade that sent Pau Gasol to Los Angeles for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie and draft picks, widely regarded as one of the most one-sided deals in league history.

"Yeah, it bothers me," he said. "I want to be on the same committee as [Gregg] Popovich."

Popovich, coach of the San Antonio Spurs, said the league should have a trade-review committee and that he would have vetoed the Lakers-Grizzlies deal if he had a vote.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said Sunday he believed Popovich was joking.

"It think it was tongue-in-cheek or cheek-in-tongue," Jackson said. "I don't think you can take that statement at face value."

When a reporter pointed out that Sports Illustrated is a reputable outfit, Jackson smirked and said, "Oh, Sports Illustrated."

Meanwhile, the Lakers-Grizzlies deal triggered a response from the Phoenix Suns, who acquired Shaquille O'Neal from the Miami Heat for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks last week. It also prompted an almost endless stream of analysis about the trade.

The lone bit of intriguing news was delivered by Miami Herald columnist Dan Le Batard, who reported that the deal was ignited when Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban phoned Miami owner Micky Arison to propose a trade.

Arison couldn't work anything out with Cuban, but it got him thinking seriously about moving O'Neal and the remainder of his $100 million salary.

Arison phoned Suns owner Robert Sarver, who was receptive to a trade, and then the Heat's PatRiley and Phoenix GM Steve Kerr hammered out the details.

Jackson said the trade would be good for O'Neal.

"I think it will re-energize him," Jackson said. "He has something to prove again."

LINK