Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Trade Deadline Thread

Default Re: The Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do any of you think that there will be another trade ( minor or major ) that is going to happen in the next 2 weeks before the Trade Deadline?

If a trade happens....my $$$ is on the Bobcats, Bulls and/or the Bucks making a move to make a serious push for the last 2 spots in the Eastern Conference.
    The Boobcats have to do something if they want a chance.....They are on a six game losing streak right now, with Wallace out until after the All Star Break at a minimum.

Mickael Pietrus wants out of GState. But apparently Mully and Co. haven't been too receptive to his trade request even though, according his agent, several teams have made offers, and they even thought one was a done deal.

Janny Hu
    San Francisco Chronicle

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../SP46V0BGK.DTL

"Mike has been asked to play out of position for all of this season," McCandless [Pietrus' agent] added. "He does not want to play the 4 and the 5. Mike doesn't want to be a corner spot-up shooter for whom no offensive plays are run. He simply feels he can contribute much more on both ends of the floor for another team. He truly hopes to be traded tomorrow."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...eadline-080212

Trade deadline countdown: Who could be dealt next?

By Chris Sheridan
    ESPN.com

Updated: February 12, 2008

About a month ago, we told you how NBA executives believed Pau Gasol would be the next big name traded. They were as right on that as they were wrong on Shaquille O'Neal, whom many felt was among the NBA's most untradable players.
    Well, many of those same folks are now saying that Ron Artest will be the next to go, with Jason Kidd coming in a distant second.

Why a distant second?

Because as they've shopped the disgruntled Kidd, the New Jersey Nets have been presented with offers that, if accepted, would leave the Popovich Commission in an uproar. (For those of you who missed it, San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich reacted to the Gasol trade by saying there should be a committee with the power to veto NBA trades that make no sense. Mark Cuban later seconded the motion.)

Further, Kidd's representatives are trying to steer him to one of his three preferred destinations: Dallas, Cleveland or the Los Angeles Lakers, and that is scaring off other teams with the goods to get him.

Artest, meanwhile, is being publicly melancholic over his potential departure from the Kings, who are trying to include Kenny Thomas in any Artest deal.

Sources told ESPN.com that talks between the Kings and Nuggets, first reported by the Sacramento Bee, involved a larger deal than has been reported. In addition to wanting to include Thomas in their outgoing package, the Kings were believed to be seeking Linas Kleiza and Nene.

There remains a chance the talks could be restarted, sources said, if Sacramento were to drop its asking price, but the most the Nuggets are currently willing to surrender is a package of Eduardo Najera and a first-round draft pick.

"If Artest opts out like everyone expects, you're basically talking about a rent-a-player deal," said one Western Conference executive familiar with the Nuggets-Kings talks.

As disappointing as Eddy Curry has been, he might have trade value.

Another source told ESPN.com that the New York Knicks made overtures recently indicating they were willing to trade centers Eddy Curry and Jerome James for Artest and Thomas, but the Kings were balking at taking on the remaining two years and $12.8 million owed to James.

"The whole point of trying to package Artest with Thomas (due $7.9 million next season and $8.6 million in 2009-10) is to clear cap space. The Kings don't want another guy (James) clogging their cap for two more years," the source said.

The Nuggets' willingness to give up this June's first-round draft pick will keep them a player in the Artest stakes, but it also could make the difference in their pursuit of Memphis point guard Kyle Lowry, who is being shopped by the Memphis Grizzlies.

Memphis also is fielding offers for Mike Miller but is trying to include little-used, heavily compensated forward Brian Cardinal (two years remaining at $6.3M and $6.75M) in any deal.

The Nuggets, Bulls, 76ers, Heat, Warriors and Nets are among the teams seeking to acquire Lowry, the 24th overall pick in 2006 who became expandable when the Grizzlies acquired Javaris Crittenton from the Lakers in the Gasol trade.

"The Grizzlies want to have at least three first-round picks this summer," the source said.

A few other situations that are impacting the trade market:

Despite his denials, Sam Cassell would welcome a buyout from the Los Angeles Clippers, who would prefer to trade him. The Nuggets are in the mix here, too, but if Cassell gets a buyout, he will almost certainly join the Celtics.

As hard as the Nets are trying to trade Kidd, they are devoting nearly as much attention to shopping Vince Carter. One prominent player agent, who did not want to be identified, said a Carter-Jermaine O'Neal swap -- with the Nets tossing in an additional piece -- would be the likeliest endgame if the Pacers are unable to find a preferable deal for a young prospect and expiring contracts.

The Chicago Bulls are being described as "all over the map" in their trade talks. In addition to trying to move Ben Wallace, one source said the Bulls are now "as open as they've ever been" to trading Ben Gordon. Discussions recently broke down between the Bulls and Hornets over a deal that would have sent shooter Rasual Butler to Chicago.
    --------------------

I would give Memphis Williams for Kyle Lowry, but no way would I give them our #1 this year. That's probably why we aren't mentioned as suiters for him.

As for JO for Vince Carter, "and with the Nets tossing in an additional piece the likeliest endgame," I beg to differ. The only trade that would work under those conditions would be adding Jamaal Magloire, and his $4m expiring contract. That would add $2.4m to the Pacers salary cap and put them $1.5m into the luxury tax. They won't do that.

If they did I think that would really suck. I would rather have had what the Laker's were offering us last summer.

What I think happened last summer is Bird held out for a win in a possible trade with the Laker's. He wanted Odom, Bynum and Brown, for JO, and I think he was close to getting it. Except we know he didn't. I think Donnie would have said to the Laker's, "Look, I'll give you JO for Bynum, and who ever you want to toss in to make the deal work," and I think he would have got it.

When Donnie was interviewed by Chad Ford a couple weeks ago he said the young GM's in the league only wanted to do deals that they won. I think he might have been talking about Bird with that comment too. (That was before the Gasol trade)

One other thing. If we do a trade with NJ for Vince I'm pretty certain there will be more than just one piece added from NJ's side. Krstic could be added to make it work. If NJ didn't want to give up a big like that I would add Harrison from our end and they could add Marcus Williams, which would also work. That would be addition by subtraction.

Banned

I'd love Emeka Okafor in a Pacers uniform. He's having a down year but I still think he'll pull it together and become an All-Star-level big man in the near future. Not a superstar, but around the same level as J.O. in his prime. Of course it'll never happen, so I'll lay down the crack pipe now.

No thanks on Vinsanity. A 31-yr old who relies on his legs w/
    about $75 mil over 5 yrs left on his deal ? Unless we aquire
    him with another deal in the works to send him elsewhere,
    no thanks !

Banned

I wouldn't give up Shawne for Lowry. I think Shawne has a much higher ceiling and much more "star" potential. Lowry's an undersized (6' on a good day) point guard who can't shoot at all. He's young and has some promise, but I wouldn't even rank him as a B-level prospect. I'd give up a late 1st for him, which is exactly where he drafted (24th), nothing more.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I would rather keep JO and his shorter contract then get Vince. The only way I would consider it is if the Nets were to include their first rounder this year or next year, but no way they do that... or would they baite on Ike?

Anyway, thanks for the link, Will . Btw I wouldn't trade Lowry for Williams, but that's just me. I know he would fill a need, but I would rather offer them Ike I guess.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    No thanks on Vinsanity. A 31-yr old who relies on his legs w/
    about $75 mil over 5 yrs left on his deal ? Unless we aquire
    him with another deal in the works to send him elsewhere,
    no thanks !
    Hear hear.

Stop the Vinsanity.

The contract is actually only 3 years remaining for $49, so it's not as bad as you say...but it's still not great. But more than that, we'd be getting a guy who can't even get motivated to play hard alongside JKidd and RJ. Sure, there are clearly big problems in NJ right now and no one really wants to be there, but it's not like Vince will be ecstatic to move to the Midwest and play alongside a bunch of nobodies on a highly mediocre team.

If he was still attacking the rim like he was two years ago while he was the undisputed best dunker of all time, then I'd say sure just for the entertainment value and the fact that he'd put asses in the seats. But he's pretty far removed from that and is more of a one highlight per week type of guy now instead of three per game.

I'm just not into it at all...and I actually like Vince more than most.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Hear hear.

Stop the Vinsanity.

The contract is actually only 3 years remaining for $49, so it's not as bad as you say...but it's still not great. But more than that, we'd be getting a guy who can't even get motivated to play hard alongside JKidd and RJ. Sure, there are clearly big problems in NJ right now and no one really wants to be there, but it's not like Vince will be ecstatic to move to the Midwest and play alongside a bunch of nobodies on a highly mediocre team.

If he was still attacking the rim like he was two years ago while he was the undisputed best dunker of all time, then I'd say sure just for the entertainment value and the fact that he'd put asses in the seats. But he's pretty far removed from that and is more of a one highlight per week type of guy now instead of three per game.

I really wonder why this JONeal for VC rumor keeps on popping up if there isn't any validity to it. You would think that TPTB would have a clue about VC.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I really wonder why this JONeal for VC rumor keeps on popping up if there isn't any validity to it. You would think that TPTB would have a clue about VC.
    Apparently Bird is worried about putting fans in the seats and he thinks Vince might do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Apparently Bird is worried about putting fans in the seats and he thinks Vince might do it.
    I'm pretty sure we have plenty of other crappy jumpshooters though. How is it gonna help to have one more bald one in a headband? I thought that's what Jamaal was for? Know your role.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would like a JO for Vince trade and it sounds to me like JO'B would like it as well. Didn't he just say he wanted a creator on the offensive end?

Vince is 31 but he's not an old man. He's still is a top offensive talent and could definitely help this team get to another level. This team has alot of components to be a good run and gun team.Jermaine will never work in that type of offense, unless he decides to shed a few pounds and use more offensive skills than a double pump 14 ft away from the basket for a pull up jumper. The only problem I see is that this adds to the plethora of SF's/SG's we have and figuring out a starting five would be kinda tough.

Jay-

I stand corrected. I was mistakenly including this year and neglected
    to note the 'team option' for year five of his deal. But still, I'm with
    you. If it was 2-3 years ago, I'd say go for it. But it's not, so pass.

Sports Logo

Hear hear.

Stop the Vinsanity.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

You've answered that post twice now with the same words? Posts 34 and 39. Got the flu?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Griz Shopping Lowry

Kyle Lowry | Grizzlies
    A league source confirmed last night that the Grizzlies were shopping Kyle Lowry, and that the Sixers were one of the teams they had called. The source said it would be surprising, however, if anything materialized with the Sixers.
    "It's a situation I don't think about," Lowry said. "My job is to play basketball, and I can't worry about trade talks and rumors. All I can do is play hard." -- The Philadelphia Inquirer

Blazers Shopping Jack?

Jarrett Jack | Trail Blazers
    One NBA Eastern Conference GM said he believed the Blazers were shopping Jarrett Jack, and wanted future draft picks in return.
    The thinking being that drafting Jack wasn't a Kevin Pritchard move (Steve Blake's signing and Sergio Rodriguez's pick were) and that Portland is going to need to move a body or two to free up room next season for the arrival of, at least, Rudy Fernandez and Greg Oden, and possibly a first-round pick. -- The Oregonian

These are two guys who could help us out. Memphis supposedly wants a pick in this year's draft, which I would not give them. Maybe they'll settle for Ike and a second rounder. If Portland is looking for future picks, I wonder if we could give them a lottery protected pick in '09 or '10 + Harrison and wind up with Jack.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Not sure exactly what I'd give up for Jack. But I want him.

Okay...I finally realize why Thorn needs JO.

That'll be a pretty nice expiring. And since I've always thought King James in BK is inevitable, dropping $23 million in payroll could make it a near-certainty.

Henry Abbott
    TrueHoop

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...s-of-2010.html

I like Jarret Jack alot too. But on the other hand, having a PG who
    can actually defend would be a profoundly disorienting experience.

Sports Logo

Okay...I finally realize why Thorn needs JO.

That'll be a pretty nice expiring. And since I've always thought King James in BK is inevitable, dropping $23 million in payroll could make it a near-certainty.

Henry Abbott
    TrueHoop

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...s-of-2010.html
    Interesting....I hadn't thought of that. Lebron, Wade and Bosh are going to have Player Options in the 2010/2011 season....right when JONeal's contract ends.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-14-2008 at 04:32 PM.