Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Trade Deadline Thread

Default The Trade Deadline Thread

February 21 is nearly upon us.

Will anything happen?

I just posted this link in the other thread, but now that Marbury is out for the year, my guess is that any potential Knick talks are now over (not that I thought they had or would have happened anyway).

AP
    espn.com
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3238243

But since it's getting a little difficult to keep track of all the potential moves we might make (Foster to Utah, JO to NY, JO for Vince, whatever else) I figured I'd start this as a place we can dump relevant links to developing articles that could affect whether or not we make a move by February 21.

Here are the rumors and big questions so far the pop to mind...

• Some reporter heard about JO for Vince deal. I doubt that happens.
    • Jimmy says he expects JO to stay. I think he's right.
    • Utah maybe wants Foster. But will they give us something we want?
    • Regardless, I think Foster will get moved to a Western contender. But I'm dumb.
    • We need some scorers. Where do we find them?
    • We need more young talent. Can we get some picks?
    • Point guards are necessary. Where do we find one?
    • What happens if we do nothing?

All these questions and Andy Rooney, tonight in the Trade Deadline Thread.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 02-11-2008 at 05:15 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    February 22 is nearly upon us.

Will anything happen?

I just posted this link in the other thread, but now that Marbury is out for the year, my guess is that any potential Knick talks are now over (not that I thought they had or would have happened anyway).

AP
    espn.com
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3238243

But since it's getting a little difficult to keep track of all the potential moves we might make (Foster to Utah, JO to NY, JO for Vince, whatever else) I figured I'd start this as a place we can dump relevant links to developing articles that could affect whether or not we make a move by February 22.

Here are the rumors and big questions so far the pop to mind...
    • Some reporter heard about JO for Vince deal. I doubt that happens.
    • Jimmy says he expects JO to stay. I think he's right.
    • Utah maybe wants Foster. But will they give us something we want?
    • Regardless, I think Foster will get moved to a Western contender. But I'm dumb.
    • We need some scorers. Where do we find them?
    • We need more young talent. Can we get some picks?
    • Point guards are necessary. Where do we find one?
    • What happens if we do nothing?
    All these questions and Andy Rooney, tonight in the Trade Deadline Thread.
    Actually, I think Marbury calling it a season would make it more likely that a trade between us and the Knicks would happen. We wouldn't have to worry about the headache that is Starbury for the remainder of the season, and his being out for the year would give us a little more leverage in talks. We really only want him as an expiring deal, anyway.

I don't see a Vince deal happening, especially since Kidd wants out.

I think JO will remain because we won't get an adequate offer for him.

I know what I'd want from Utah for Foster (Almond, #1 pick, and expirings), but I don't know what TPTB would want, if anything.

I don't think we need scorers, per se. We're scoring plenty of points. We need better defense and a playmaker -- someone to go to at the end of games.

We can get some picks, IMO, but TPTB seem dead-set against a full rebuild. Fools.

Andre Miller is available, if we want to make a push for him. Y'all know I've been pushing for Dre for some time now.

If we do nothing, we will continue to suck, hopefully into a high draft pick.

And tell Andy Rooney to stay home. Dude freaks me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Actually, I think Marbury calling it a season would make it more likely that a trade between us and the Knicks would happen. We wouldn't have to worry about the headache that is Starbury for the remainder of the season, and his being out for the year would give us a little more leverage in talks. We really only want him as an expiring deal, anyway.
    Hadn't thought about that. Good point.

Still a tough sell to the fanbase due to all dude's exploits last summer, but it does make sense financially.

I'd do Starbury and Lee for JO. They of course won't want Zach, Eddy and JO, so I guess they'd have to find a taker for one of those two.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Still a tough sell to the fanbase due to all dude's exploits last summer, but it does make sense financially.

I'd do Starbury and Lee for JO. They of course won't want Zach, Eddy and JO, so I guess they'd have to find a taker for one of those two.
    Maybe if we add Jamaal and they add Curry? Not a fan of Curry btw. The Knicks are said to be looking for a pure PG. Well... I don't like him on our team anymore for sometime now, but Jamaal IS from New York and is considered a pure PG and what's more he's definitely in need of a start somewhere else.

I think we would have one MAJOR problem (potentially) though ... didn't Thomas and Jamaal not exactly get along when Thomas still was here and Jamaal had I think his mother die of cancer and almost no one got clearance to attent the funeral? Something like that.

I think a trade with the Knicks along these lines hinges on one crucial thing we don't know (yet) nl. the outlook of management:

is management wanting to make a trade to be able to still make the play-offs or to "retool" (as opposed to "rebuilding") in the coming summer or the 2008-2009 season? Or is management making such a trade with the idea of starting a rebuild?

IF the latter is the case I would say Shade's reasoning makes sense. IF the former is the case then I would have to say Jay is probably correct and the chances of a trade happenning with the Knicks have seriously decreased with Marbury's injury apparantly beying a season ending one.

So..... anyone interested in placing some listening devices in Larry and Donnie's offices (yes, I want to evade the discussion of who is in charge!!!) in Conseco Fieldhouse?

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Would Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh really do that to poor Freddie Jones? I have it on good authority that Jones escaped this organization because Jamaal kept telling him he wanted to "shoot around" with Freddie in a back-alley. "Really show you how to make better cuts" and stuff like that. While Freddie thought Tinsley wasn't smart enough for puns, he still felt that JT's constant jarring was an afront to his sensibilities.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they're apparently in discussions to acquire Ben Wallace, who's to say they wouldn't instead pull the trigger on a JO deal if it came up? I think Thomas would be happy to unload Marbury, especially if he could pick up a fringe All-Star caliber player (and unload David Lee, who he apparently hates for no reason other than his efficiency and hustle).

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat even if Starbury never set foot on the court. We need to get under the cap, and if we're going to suck, we might as well do it with Marbury on our roster if it nets us David Lee.

JO for Malik Rose...
    or JO for Josh Boone
    naw lets trade JO to seattle for delonte west...

Cut tinsley because he sucks...
    trade granger to the magic for brian cook.
    THEN WE REALLY WILL WIN THE LOTTO!
    ERIC GORDON IS SO AWESOME...GOD HE REMINDS ME OF THE NEXT MICHAEL JORDAN.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    JO for Malik Rose...
    or JO for Josh Boone

Ok, we get it. You're into sarcasm.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

JO for Malik Rose...
    or JO for Josh Boone

Ehmm... none of these trades are "legal"! Interesting trades I would have to say though!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JO for Malik Rose...
    or JO for Josh Boone

This is getting old fast.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    If they're apparently in discussions to acquire Ben Wallace, who's to say they wouldn't instead pull the trigger on a JO deal if it came up? I think Thomas would be happy to unload Marbury, especially if he could pick up a fringe All-Star caliber player (and unload David Lee, who he apparently hates for no reason other than his efficiency and hustle).

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat even if Starbury never set foot on the court. We need to get under the cap, and if we're going to suck, we might as well do it with Marbury on our roster if it nets us David Lee.
    Thing is, NY is trying to get Ben Wallace for garbage (Q, Malik, and Freddie). I wouldn't even consider a similar package for JO.

Of course, Ben Wallace himself is garbage, so there you go.

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

JO for Malik Rose...
    or JO for Josh Boone

You forgot to finish this piece off with one of your trademark all-caps LOL's...
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

JO for Malik Rose...
    or JO for Josh Boone

There are ways to argue your points with tact....

I didn't read this part of the Weekend Dime yesterday, so missed this part. Not a lot of info, but notable that Stein thinks talks are still on-going at least.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

The Nets insisted this week that they didn't register a Shaq bid of their own, but one source close to the process contends that New Jersey offered Vince Carter for O'Neal. Since Carter has an even longer contract, it's not tough to understand why Miami would pass.

Word is that the Nets have also resumed talks with Indiana about a possible Vince-for-Jermaine O'Neal deal, but sources stress that no deal is close.
    This is troubling, however.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...290.xml&coll=1

BY DAVID WALDSTEIN
    Newark Star-Ledger

Thorn said Carter's ankle has improved, but he wouldn't rule out the possibility that it could require surgery after the season.

"We don't anticipate that," he said, "but at some point in time it could be. ... Hopefully it will last through the end of the year and we'll take a look at it when he has some time off. It's been bothering him for a long time, but it's a lot better now."

Bringing in Carter is like trying to use a cheap, thrice used CVS band aid to heal a fleshwound. We've already got two "half man, half season" players here (although JO would go to NJ with this trade I assume), why do we need another one? I'd rather have JO than a player with similar stats and a similar number of injuries who plays the same position as our two best players.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Jo and Tinsley for marbury, curry and david lee works. I would consider it. I don't like curry but his contract is a year shorter than tinsley's. Could be a useful expiring in two years. We can buy out marbury... Lee would make a nice pacer.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 02-10-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Exclamation Re: The Trade Deadline Thread

I personally think we should try and make a move and try to trade Charlotte .. and get the 'Stache ... Adam Morrison..

I have been a fan of his since his freshman at 'Zag

I'd trade any of the following players , or combination of.... for Adam Morrison .... and I would do so WITH PREJUDICE. !!! LoL ...

J.O. , Tinsley , Foster , Ike, Williams , Owens , Daniels , Graham, Harrison , Murphy ...

I realize Morrison is rehabbing from surgery to his left ACL being repaired, but damn I would Sooo love to see him play here with Dunleavy, Diener , Granger and Rush ... and Charlotte has been keeping him as their 6th man .. so I think it is possible he is attainable.. (I can dream can't I?? lol)
    Last edited by Kemo; 02-11-2008 at 03:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I personally think we should try and make a move and try to trade Charlotte .. and get the 'Stache ... Adam Morrison..

I'd trade any of the following players , or combination of.... for Adam Morrison .... and I would do so WITH PREJUDICE. !!! LoL ...

J.O. , Tinsley , Foster , Ike, Williams , Owens , Daniels , Graham, Harrison , Murphy ...

I realize Morrison is rehabbing from surgery to his left ACL being repaired, but damn I would Sooo love to see him play here with Dunleavy, Diener , Granger and Rush ... and Charlotte has been keeping him as their 6th man .. so I think it is possible he is attainable.. (I can dream can't I?? lol)
    With he and Dun it's department of redundancy department. I wouldn't do Jeff or Shawne for him. No question the guys got talent but just how much more of a sieve do we want to make our perimeter D?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

but since we suck so bad...we might as well trade whatever talent we do have to teams that are worth a damn.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sports Logo

Do any of you think that there will be another trade ( minor or major ) that is going to happen in the next 2 weeks before the Trade Deadline?

If a trade happens....my $$$ is on the Bobcats, Bulls and/or the Bucks making a move to make a serious push for the last 2 spots in the Eastern Conference.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't think much happens around the league before the trade deadline but hey you never know.

For the sake of discussion though regarding the Pacers I think that a Knicks deal could be interesting.

What about Marbury and Eddy Curry for Jermaine and Jamaal?

Maybe if we are lucky the Knicks would give us Mardy Collins, or some type of young player. David Lee would be great but I doubt we get him. Maybe a future pick coming our way IDK.

For the Pacers we can just buyout Marbury or cut him. Tell him to stay home. Eddy Curry has his flaws however I think for his production his salary is fair. At least he gives us a low post threat. Is a move the Pacers make if they come to realize that they will not get what they want for Jermaine if they think Jermaine is worth what KG is.

The Knicks well do this because IT loves Jermaine. I don't know for sure how well Jamaal and IT got along here but Jamaal gives them a good point guard. I think it's a move the Knicks would make to push for the playoffs.

Really though I don't see the deal happening. Just a thought.

I think that the Spurs and Pacers would be good trading partners. The Spurs could really use Jeff and Marquis and the Spurs have expierings, picks, young talent that the Pacers would want.

Overall though I don't see the Pacers doing anything. Major or minor. I think the team stays as is until who knows.

I think we will make a trade, possibility a three team trade. Or two trades.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    I don't think much happens around the league before the trade deadline but hey you never know.

For the sake of discussion though regarding the Pacers I think that a Knicks deal could be interesting.

What about Marbury and Eddy Curry for Jermaine and Jamaal?

Maybe if we are lucky the Knicks would give us Mardy Collins, or some type of young player. David Lee would be great but I doubt we get him. Maybe a future pick coming our way IDK.
    IMHO....If Curry is coming back in any trade.....I would insist on Lee coming with him. Because Curry is such a bad rebounder and defender for his size.....we need to pair him up with a David Lee/Jeff Foster player....basically a guy that does alot of the dirty work that Curry isn't capable of. Since Foster may not be on the roster beyond the 2009-2010 season....David Lee is a deal-breaker for me....he is a MUST if we trade for Curry.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    For the Pacers we can just buyout Marbury or cut him. Tell him to stay home.
    I doubt that TPTB will buy out any player that is owed $40+ million over the next 2 seasons. But as you said....none of this is likely to happen.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post

I think that drafting Adam Morrison over Brandon Roy was the dumbest thing Jordan has ever done. I thought that at the time also. Why Roy wasn't the #1 pick in that draft, I'll never know.

The last two things we need on this team are another SF and another poor defender. Since we could get both of them in one package with Morrison, why not?

I'm sure there's a lot of interest in Foster, some interest in JO, and almost no interest in Tinsley.

If Delonte West and Jarrett Jack are really available, I'd love to grab one of them. If I never see Tinsley play another game as a Pacer I'll be a much happier person.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Wow, I must be cranky today.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie