Thread: JO to Dallas

Default JO to Dallas

So, I was bored. I figured with the current climate of Western teams looking to stockpile big men in preparation for the playoffs, that JO would surely attract some offers. Dallas seemed like a logical trade destination.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...1~11&te=&cash=

It's not exactly what I would want to do, but I can see this deal happening. The Pacers front office could sell it to fans this way: the Pacers get: 1) A promising young PG (Harris) 2) A perimeter defender (Hassell) 3) A young big man (Bass; basically trying/hoping to find a hidden gem again i.e. Dale-JO) and 4) A solid vet big man (Dampier, returning to the team that drafted him).

This trade potentially creates problems (A PG controversy between Harris and Tinsley, Hassell adding to the logjam at SG/SF, adding Bass buries Ike deeper into the bench, the team would owe over $20 million combined to Murphy and Dampier over the next 4 years). But it allows you some wiggle room to trade other players and not lose a whole lot of depth. Obviously by adding Hassell, one or a combination of Daniels/Dunleavy/Granger/Williams/Rush could then be moved to help bring in other players. By adding Harris, you can move Tinsley and be OK with getting crap back. With Dampier, you can move Foster and get a return that helps the team in the long run.

On paper, this looks like a horrible return for JO. But I think this is the type of return we'd have to expect if we're trading JO.
    Last edited by Aw Heck; 02-08-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: bad HTML pasting which effected the forum page
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Default Re: JO to Dallas

The Mavs aren't trading Devin Harris for Jermaine.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Mavs aren't trading Devin Harris for Jermaine.
    Never say never. A month ago, I would've told you that Memphis would be crazy to trade Pau Gasol for just Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittendon. Or that Phoenix would be crazy to trade Shawn Marion for Shaq.

I think Dallas would rather land Kidd than JO. But if that deal can't get done and Dallas finds themselves scrambling to catch up to the other teams in the West, then they might look at JO.

In order to get JO, Dallas has to give up something of value. Otherwise the Pacers have no incentive to do the deal. We know that Dirk and Howard are out of the question. Obviously, they'd be reluctant to deal Harris, but at least they still have Jason Terry. He's not as good as Harris, but he can reliably run the point and hit shots.

All I'm saying is that Harris is not untouchable. He's a good young PG, but he's definitely not Chris Paul or Deron Williams. If Dallas panics and gets desperate enough, I think they would be open to moving Harris if it meant a Dirk-JO frontcourt.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    Never say never. A month ago, I would've told you that Memphis would be crazy to trade Pau Gasol for just Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittendon. Or that Phoenix would be crazy to trade Shawn Marion for Shaq.

I think Dallas would rather land Kidd than JO. But if that deal can't get done and Dallas finds themselves scrambling to catch up to the other teams in the West, then they might look at JO.

In order to get JO, Dallas has to give up something of value. Otherwise the Pacers have no incentive to do the deal. We know that Dirk and Howard are out of the question. Obviously, they'd be reluctant to deal Harris, but at least they still have Jason Terry. He's not as good as Harris, but he can reliably run the point and hit shots.

All I'm saying is that Harris is not untouchable. He's a good young PG, but he's definitely not Chris Paul or Deron Williams. If Dallas panics and gets desperate enough, I think they would be open to moving Harris if it meant a Dirk-JO frontcourt.
    The Mavs don't have the ownership situation that the Grizz are having right now. While the Grizz got the short end of the stick, it was known that Gasol was going to be moved because he was making MAX money on a team that wasn't going anywhere. They were going to start a rebuilding project around someone else.

The Mavs aren't in that situation. They're right in the middle of things in the west. They are contending and Harris is a key component who also isn't making the MAX. If Harris was a 29 year old unhappy camper like Shawn Marion who could opt out at the end of the year and would be seeking $20M a year, then I could see a more likely scenario of him being moved, but that's not the case.

And if the Nets could get Devin Harris for Kidd, that deal would have been done long, long ago. The reason that deal hasn't happened is because the Mavs won't deal Harris for Kidd.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

...But they are keeping Harris as their future PG.. Terry is the one they are shopping. =)

I think your trade scenario is more realistic than the one in the other JO-Dallas thread here. However, them giving up Terry without a solid PG option left seems like a stretch.

Too bad the wouldn't consider Tinsley. I'd have no real problems taking on any of the Dallas guys from your propsal. Damp can play when motivated, which is maybe 15% of the time. But he's still a more serviceable 5 than anybody we've had for a while. Hassell adds some much needed defensive toughness. Bass-decent young prospect.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's no way Dallas would give up their starting point guard and center (not to mention a very good defender who is starting to get more minutes, and Bass, who has been a pleasant surprise in Big D this year) for an overpaid, oft-injured big man whose career is on the downslide -- not to mention one who plays the same position as their reigning MVP -- and two scrubs who belong on D-League teams.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only way Dallas gives up Harris is if they find a way to secure Kidd.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The only way Dallas gives up Harris is if they find a way to secure Kidd.
    Again, if New Jersey could get Harris for Kidd, that deal would have been done several months ago.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Again, if New Jersey could get Harris for Kidd, that deal would have been done several months ago.
    I agree. I think the general opinion around the league is that Harris has much higher long-term value than Kidd, especially considering he's 10 years younger and only half as expensive.

Any team that trades for Kidd is either going to gut their team or produce a major miracle. I don't think the Mavericks are particularly planning on either of those happening right now.

No way would Indy do that trade. That would add nearly 25 million to their payroll over the next 4 years, where as keeping JO and lettin him come off the books would decrease by 40 million at the same time. Thats a 65 million dollar difference.

Dampier is Shaq minus skill and humor
    Half of the time we're gone, but we don't know where.

Banned

I don't buy that. Taking into account age, health and salary, I can understand why the Mavs wouldn't make such a deal. Harris is finally rounding into form and looks like he could become a Tony Parker with better defense level player. I don't think they're willing to give him up for a 35 year old with a bum knee who can't shoot.