Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jermaine says Pacers are involved in trade talks with several teams

Default Jermaine says Pacers are involved in trade talks with several teams

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ick_fan-4.html

By IAN BEGLEY
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, February 8th 2008, 4:00 AM
    Jermaine O'Neal remains Knick fan

While most of the Knicks act and talk like they want nothing to do with Isiah Thomas, Pacers forward/center Jermaine O'Neal has made it clear that he would gladly accept a trade to New York.

"I think in this business you got to be willing to believe at some point, if your team struggles you are going to be traded," O'Neal said after the Pacers handed the Knicks their seventh straight loss on Wednesday night. "I would accept it."

O'Neal didn't want to directly address coming to New York out of respect for the Pacers, but said Madison Square Garden was "one of the most desired atmospheres to play in in basketball."

According to O'Neal, the Pacers are in trade talks with several teams and it is no secret that Thomas has tried on several occasions to acquire O'Neal, whom he coached for three seasons in Indiana. O'Neal's high school coach, George Glymph, is on Thomas' staff.

Thomas might try to move Zach Randolph, who last month was the subject of trade talks involving Milwaukee.

"The deal makes a lot of sense to me," one Knicks player said on Wednesday.

Randolph said yesterday that this season - his first as a Knick - has been extremely difficult even compared to his lean years in Portland. Randolph missed the playoffs in his final four seasons with the Blazers.

"Losing is losing," Randolph said after the Knicks practiced yesterday. "It's more (difficult) here with all the distractions, there's a lot of other stuff going on. It makes it that much more difficult to concentrate."

However, Pacers GM Larry Bird may not want to risk acquiring Randolph, who is from nearby Marion, Ind. Also, Bird's strained relationship with Thomas could hurt any chances of the two teams orchestrating a deal.

There is also the question of whether Garden chairman James Dolan would give Thomas authorization to make trades. The Knicks are 14-35 and face the defending champion Spurs (31-16), without injured guard Tony Parker, tonight at the Garden.

O'Neal said the Knicks lacked a leader, which is a void that the six-time All-Star could easily fill, according to Thomas.

"When I was coaching him, I saw those things," Thomas said when asked about O'Neal's leadership qualities. Thomas refused to comment on any conversations he has had with teams about potential trades, but his infatuation with the 6-11 O'Neal is no secret.

"Jermaine is one of my favorite people on Earth," Thomas said. "I think the world of him as a person and a player."

O'Neal, 29, has missed the past 10 games while rehabbing a bone bruise on his left knee, which was surgically repaired over the summer. O'Neal said he initially returned from the injury too early and was "disappointed" that the Pacers announced he would be back on the court in two weeks when he left the lineup on Jan.16 with soreness in the knee.

"I was out there on one leg," said O'Neal, who is averaging 15.3 points and 7.3 rebounds. "I rushed back, but I won't do that again. . .. I believe anywhere I go, once my knee is back to the level (where) I know I can really dominate, I will get back to that level. Wherever I'm at. Whether it's Indiana, or wherever."
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-08-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Default Re: Jermaine says Pacers are involved in trade talks with several teams

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...74,print.story

Newsday.com
    Embattled Isiah has fan in Pacers' O'Neal
    BY ALAN HAHN

alan.hahn@newsday.com

February 8, 2008

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - Here's where most Knicks fans are conflicted. You see teams making trades to improve the roster or the salary-cap situation. You see big names available and contracts you can get rid of. You see the potential for wheeling and dealing before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

But then you shudder, because Isiah Thomas is the one making the decisions. The track record speaks for itself.

Jermaine O'Neal, however, thinks Thomas can trade his way out of the Knicks' 14-35 mess. "I'm pretty sure he can," said the injured Pacers forward, whose regard for Thomas dates to the days he played for him in Indiana from 2000-01 to '02-03.

Lately, Thomas refuses to say much about any NBA player not on the Knicks. When told that Nets president Rod Thorn spoke candidly about the Shaquille O'Neal trade, Thomas replied, "I don't know if Rod would say that if he was with the Knicks. I don't know if he'd be that free to comment like that."

But when asked about the other O'Neal, Thomas' guard comes down. "Jermaine's one of my favorite people on Earth," he said.

The feeling is mutual. O'Neal spoke at length about the Knicks Wednesday after the Pacers' 103-100 win at the Garden. One of the issues he sees with Thomas' team is "I don't know if they have one guy that's taking on that leadership to make sure the guys stay together."

Thomas was asked after yesterday's practice if he thinks O'Neal has such leadership qualities. "When I was coaching him, I saw those things, yes," he said.

So when do they announce the trade? Not so fast. Not only is O'Neal planning to take as much time as necessary for his bruised left knee to fully heal, but no one (not even Thomas) expects Larry Bird to trade with Thomas.

Although Thomas would need to move Eddy Curry or Zach Randolph to fit O'Neal into the crowded frontcourt, the best one-for-one swap would be Stephon Marbury ($20.1 million) for O'Neal ($19.7 million). The problem there is that Marbury's contract runs out after next season. O'Neal still has another year at $22.9 million after that.

It is believed that any moves by the Knicks this season will involve cutting salary. If Thomas could make this type of deal happen, it would suggest he has far more job security than anyone has speculated. Yet as much as the Knicks need to address their frontcourt problem, point guard still should be their top priority.

Notes & quotes: Thomas' explanation for his unusually quick postgame getaway was because he "had something I had to take care of." After a pause, he added, "And frustrated also." Most of the media got to the interview room to find Thomas already had left ... Quentin Richardson, who missed the game with a sprained ankle, did not practice and is doubtful tonight against the Spurs. Nate Robinson (thigh bruise) practiced and is expected to play.

Tonight

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really do wish the Pistons would could make a move for JO. He just makes too much money, even with our mountain of expiring deals.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ick_fan-4.html

By IAN BEGLEY
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, February 8th 2008, 4:00 AM
    Jermaine O'Neal remains Knick fan

While most of the Knicks act and talk like they want nothing to do with Isiah Thomas, Pacers forward/center Jermaine O'Neal has made it clear that he would gladly accept a trade to New York.

"I think in this business you got to be willing to believe at some point, if your team struggles you are going to be traded," O'Neal said after the Pacers handed the Knicks their seventh straight loss on Wednesday night. "I would accept it."

O'Neal didn't want to directly address coming to New York out of respect for the Pacers, but said Madison Square Garden was "one of the most desired atmospheres to play in in basketball."

According to O'Neal, the Pacers are in trade talks with several teams and it is no secret that Thomas has tried on several occasions to acquire O'Neal, whom he coached for three seasons in Indiana. O'Neal's high school coach, George Glymph, is on Thomas' staff.

Thomas might try to move Zach Randolph, who last month was the subject of trade talks involving Milwaukee.

"The deal makes a lot of sense to me," one Knicks player said on Wednesday.

Randolph said yesterday that this season - his first as a Knick - has been extremely difficult even compared to his lean years in Portland. Randolph missed the playoffs in his final four seasons with the Blazers.

"Losing is losing," Randolph said after the Knicks practiced yesterday. "It's more (difficult) here with all the distractions, there's a lot of other stuff going on. It makes it that much more difficult to concentrate."

However, Pacers GM Larry Bird may not want to risk acquiring Randolph, who is from nearby Marion, Ind. Also, Bird's strained relationship with Thomas could hurt any chances of the two teams orchestrating a deal.

There is also the question of whether Garden chairman James Dolan would give Thomas authorization to make trades. The Knicks are 14-35 and face the defending champion Spurs (31-16), without injured guard Tony Parker, tonight at the Garden.

O'Neal said the Knicks lacked a leader, which is a void that the six-time All-Star could easily fill, according to Thomas.

"When I was coaching him, I saw those things," Thomas said when asked about O'Neal's leadership qualities. Thomas refused to comment on any conversations he has had with teams about potential trades, but his infatuation with the 6-11 O'Neal is no secret.

"Jermaine is one of my favorite people on Earth," Thomas said. "I think the world of him as a person and a player."

O'Neal, 29, has missed the past 10 games while rehabbing a bone bruise on his left knee, which was surgically repaired over the summer. O'Neal said he initially returned from the injury too early and was "disappointed" that the Pacers announced he would be back on the court in two weeks when he left the lineup on Jan.16 with soreness in the knee.

"I was out there on one leg," said O'Neal, who is averaging 15.3 points and 7.3 rebounds. "I rushed back, but I won't do that again. . .. I believe anywhere I go, once my knee is back to the level (where) I know I can really dominate, I will get back to that level. Wherever I'm at. Whether it's Indiana, or wherever."

O'Neal said the Knicks lacked a leader, which is a void that the six-time All-Star could easily fill

Jo and leadership should never be used in the same sentence.

NO WAY IN HELL to Zach Randolph.

To me, this is like idealizing your highschool sweetheart. You only remember the good things, sometimes. Zeke and JO would get back together, still lose bad and it'd be like, hey I don't remember this being like that in the past.....

Then they too would be at odds and unhappy, eventually, imho.

Lastly, if Bird can't negotiate with Isiah, then DW needs to step in, its ridiculous if NY has the best deal for JO, but for personal reasons they won't deal, come on.

Very lastly, Zach Randolph in Indiana is a nightmare in my opinion. He gets around all of those old Marion drinking/smoking buddies. He's a late night incident waiting to happen.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I see nothing on the NY roster worth JO...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Count me in on the "NO!" to Zach Randolph fanclub aswell!

I guess if they would be willing to take Jamaal aswell (article notes they are looking for a pure PG) I wouldn't mind taking on Marbury and say Curry or Crawford and a mid first rounder.

Dunno if that would work though.

Marbury makes sure we have a massive contract coming off the books just in time to resign some of our young guys and he gives our backcourt a little extra fire power and if he acts up you just bench him or keep him away from the team. Who knows we might even trade him next year when his contract has a lot of value as it reaches its expiring status.

Curry would not be very good defensively, but better then Troy and he would also give us a legit close to the rim offensive centeroption. He's not very fast though, so he might not fit the team very well.

Crawford would add extra firepower to the backcourt and would be able to play a few minutes at PG when needed.

And we might be able to get a pick somewhere. Do they have picks coming there way this year or next year? Oh, forget about lotterypicks, I don't think even Thomas would be that stupid after his Curry-trade.

We offload JO's mega contract, we get rid of Jamaal (who more then anyone else on the team needs a fresh start somewhere else) and we get a pick. It all seems to make sense ... to me atleast .

Regards,

Mourning
    Last edited by Mourning; 02-08-2008 at 10:48 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I really do wish the Pistons would could make a move for JO. He just makes too much money, even with our mountain of expiring deals.
    Yeah, you have a lot of them, but none of them are big; that's the problem. Primoz has the biggest one, and that doesn't even hit $3mm.

They are in talks with several teams, but the knicks aren't one of them. I do believe if Jermaine is moved to another team other than the knicks, Thomas will do whatever to get Jermaine in New york.
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

streets ahead

for detroit it would take either rip, rasheed or chauncey along with antonio to make it work financially. kinda doubt that happens.
    This is the darkest timeline.

It doesn't make much sense to me that the Pacers would try to move JO while his trade value is at it's absolute lowest, unless JO has requested a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    for detroit it would take either rip, rasheed or chauncey along with antonio to make it work financially. kinda doubt that happens.
    I wouldn't be able to root for a Pacers team with Rasheed Wallace. Seriously. I couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post

I guess if they would be willing to take Jamaal aswell (article notes they are looking for a pure PG) I wouldn't mind taking on Marbury and say Curry or Crawford and a mid first rounder.

That's kind of where I was going. I looked, and you could trade O'Neal & Tinsley and get back Marbury('s contract), Curry, and David Lee (instead of a pick) under the CBA.

Curry would not be very good defensively, but better then Troy and he would also give us a legit close to the rim offensive centeroption. He's not very fast though, so he might not fit the team very well.
    Actually, I'd care to say he's at least as bad as Troy. I swear when we go to NY, they make all of our bigs look tougher than they really are, which is just how soft Curry and Randolph are defensively. I expect him to be abused here as well. You have to start Jeff or David Lee next to him to balance that a bit.

Banned

I would much rather have Randolph than Curry. Randolph is not only the better scorer, he's one of the leagues top rebounders. Curry is flat-out pathetic on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It doesn't make much sense to me that the Pacers would try to move JO while his trade value is at it's absolute lowest, unless JO has requested a trade.
    I think we all try too hard to predict trade value like it's a constantly-flowing asset like a stock or something (if I just butchered that, economists, please spare me I know not what I say ). I don't think it's that fluid. I believe GMs are (mostly) smart and they have their own sense of whether or not JO will come back strong or not.

We even have a recent example of this. A very recent example.

The Phoenix Suns checked out Shaquille O'Neal's health before seriously looking at that Marion-O'Neal trade. What their means were, I'm not sure, but Mike D'Antoni talked about it on his PTI interview yesterday.

Despite everyone and their mother (along with the media) saying Shaq was done, injury-prone, etc, etc, they saw for themselves that that wasn't true.

They pulled the trigger on a deal they believe will pay off big for them once they get Shaq healed. Everything I've seen suggests that this will happen, or at least that they're convinced it will happen.

"All" it will take to move JO is one GM who gets a positive health report from his people who check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    I would much rather have Randolph than Curry. Randolph is not only the better scorer, he's one of the leagues top rebounders. Curry is flat-out pathetic on the glass.
    Yeah, but you can't take him because he's a PR disaster waiting to happen, and he's got 4 years on that contract.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post

Marbury makes sure we have a massive contract coming off the books just in time to resign some of our young guys and he gives our backcourt a little extra fire power and if he acts up you just bench him or keep him away from the team. Who knows we might even trade him next year when his contract has a lot of value as it reaches its expiring status.

Crawford would add extra firepower to the backcourt and would be able to play a few minutes at PG when needed.

And we might be able to get a pick somewhere. Do they have picks coming there way this year or next year? Oh, forget about lotterypicks, I don't think even Thomas would be that stupid after his Curry-trade.

We offload JO's mega contract, we get rid of Jamaal (who more then anyone else on the team needs a fresh start somewhere else) and we get a pick. It all seems to make sense ... to me atleast .

Regards,

Mourning
    Curry and Randolph are very lazy when it comes to the defensive end. There is a reason why Dunleavy scored near-season highs against the Knicks. Murphy may not be very good at defense and lack the physical attributes to effectively implement JO'Bs defensive system....but at least he tries and is somewhat capable of understanding what to do. I don't get the sense that Curry or Randolph would be able to do what they need to do in order to execute in this team defense.

I have every confidence that they are able to execute on the offensive end.....probably way better then JONeal can in the low-post....but on the defensive end....they would be worse then Murphy....if that is even possible.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

If we trade for Zach Randolph I will have to seriously consider no longer being a Pacers fan until Bird is fired. We've learned better than any team that you can't count on crazy people no matter how talented they are. We're supposed to be in the mode where we get rid of our nutjobs, not take more on.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

JO needs to shut his yapper...sorry. I'm just constantly afraid of him lowering his own value.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Actually, I'd care to say he's at least as bad as Troy. I swear when we go to NY, they make all of our bigs look tougher than they really are, which is just how soft Curry and Randolph are defensively. I expect him to be abused here as well. You have to start Jeff or David Lee next to him to balance that a bit.
    The impression that I get from reading thee thread about the team having difficulty grasping how to implement JO'Bs team defense leads me to believe that we MUST have players that are not have the skills and physical attributes to execute a team defense, but have the Basketball IQ to understand what needs to be done. I really don't think that Randolph nor Curry have the Basketball IQ to completely grasp what needs to be done of the defensive end.

If any of us thought that Dunleavy and Foster hated covering up for players like Murphy whenever they did not follow the "team defense" plan....they will hate Curry or Randolph.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    JO needs to shut his yapper...sorry. I'm just constantly afraid of him lowering his own value.
    Reason #3 why I hope that we can move him before the 2008/2009 Training camp.

No deal with the Knicks unless their 2008 #1 is involved. Period.

And I'd really prefer not to take either Randolph or Curry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    No deal with the Knicks unless their 2008 #1 is involved. Period.

And I'd really prefer not to take either Randolph or Curry.
    I think Utah has their 2008 #1.

Btw, I don't see this happening. I just can't see Bird and Zeke actually negotiating a deal without killing each other.