Thread: ROT IN HELL, COMCAST & INSIGHT!

Default ROT IN HELL, COMCAST & INSIGHT!

For years I'd been frustrated by my local cable company, Insight, because their digital cable service did not offer NBA League Pass.

Eventually, I gave up and got Dish Network. Well heading into the holiday season I was made aware that Insight was switching over to Comcast in my area.

I figured this was my chance to go back to (digital) cable (Dish is OK, but the weather interference annoys the hell out of me).

Wrong.

Turns out, after talking with customer service (Comcast), while it's true within the next week or two I will officially be in Comcast country, "We do not plan on making any changes to your services in the immediate future."

Great.

USS Jonas Ingram DD 938 cactusjack's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ROT IN HELL, COMCAST & INSIGHT!

Find out if AT&T is offering U-verse in your area, yet. I switched over from Comcrap in December and am very happy with it.
    Life's a piece of ******
    When you look at it
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
    You'll see it's all a show
    Keep 'em laughing as you go
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    ------- Eric Idle

I to will soon be switching. I'm thinking DISH. Comcast is ridiculous. Last week they took away 6 of my HBO/Showtime channels, even though the price is still the same. We also can't even get On-Demand. They've been giving me the same runaround about an alleged "hardware upgrade" for about 4 months now. And we all know about the BTN.

USS Jonas Ingram DD 938 cactusjack's Avatar
    Mood

I thought about switching to DISH or DIRECT TV, but some of my neighbors told me that when a storm blows up they lose signal.
    Life's a piece of ******
    When you look at it
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
    You'll see it's all a show
    Keep 'em laughing as you go
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    ------- Eric Idle

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought about switching to DISH or DIRECT TV, but some of my neighbors told me that when a storm blows up they lose signal.

That's true enough...although it has to be a heck of a downpour, at least for my DISH installation. And when it happens, it's only for a minute or two, usually. The reason I put up with it is 1) I can get the NBA package, and 2) I worked with a bunch of folks that lost cable TV for months (literally) after Katrina and some of the other gulf storms. The satellite customers were restored once power was back on, but the Cox cable customers? For all I know, some of them are still waiting for the truck to get there.....can you be at home between the hours of March and July?
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Yeah, I'm sick of losing signal to wind/rain/snow; I swear it almost seems to get worse every year but I'm sure that's coincidental.

So I'm looking at dropping Dish anyway, and unfortunately losing access to League Pass. But, the truth is that's easier to do now than before because I barely use it. Love to have it even for those few moments I use it, but I could swallow it for the time being considering how expensive it is right now (keep in mind at our house, when Dish came in, Insight never left [parents weren't interested], so the bill has been for BOTH). I'm looking at stream-lining by going purely cable, and original that was going to be Digital Cable through Comcast to get League Pass that way (which was denied previously with Insight).

Now that it won't change either way, I'm thinking of taking a step backward for now to save some money.

One thing I do not want to go without, now that I've had one for years, is a DVR. God those things are wonderful. It single-handedly made TV good again for me.

So I'm thinking about dropping Dish, living off of the basic cable that never left, but investing in Tivo, the mac-daddy of DVRs. Once I can confirm that that is possible in my area (I'm optimistic that it will be, but you never know), I will make that switch within the next month or two, maybe sooner.

Mal, check and see if DVR is available with Comcast. With Time Warner, its only $6 per month for my DVR and I didn't have to buy any equipment.

You're saying Comcast offers a DVR for basic cable?

If rain fade is bad, or if wind is a factor, I'd suspect your Dish (or wiring) needs attention. Perhaps you don't have a clean line of sight with the satellite belt so you are already behind the 8 ball?

I'm on Directv and rain fade happens, but is rare, and it's not just any rain or the entire duration of the rain where there's a problem. Usually it'll happen with the leading edge of a -large- storm and then comes back within a couple of minutes.

A normal rain shower doesn't affect it at all. Wind is not an issue either.

I've also had a DISH setup and the results were the same.

Over the course of a year I doubt I average 15 mins of 'rainfade' in entirety (added up for the whole year) during the hours I normally watch TV.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I'm not sure Mal, especially for basic cable.

I have DVR through time warner although I do have the digital cable.
    That may be the difference. The thing I liked about it was no equipment to buy. And you are right, I don't know how I ever lived without DVR

I have a clear view. Wiring could be an issue. But ultimately that's not the only reason I'm switching so that won't keep me on Dish.

I just had a lengthy conversation with a Tivo rep. and I almost took a deal they made, but waited because they said I could still take the same deal if/when I call back (I need to run through some things before I commit).

But it sounds like I'll be able to drop Dish, get a Tivo for the basic cable still in this house, and have it setup the way I have the Dish DVR currently setup.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For years I'd been frustrated by my local cable company, Insight, because their digital cable service did not offer NBA League Pass.

Eventually, I gave up and got Dish Network. Well heading into the holiday season I was made aware that Insight was switching over to Comcast in my area.

I figured this was my chance to go back to (digital) cable (Dish is OK, but the weather interference annoys the hell out of me).

Wrong.

Turns out, after talking with customer service (Comcast), while it's true within the next week or two I will officially be in Comcast country, "We do not plan on making any changes to your services in the immediate future."

Great.
    I had a feeling it would just be a name change.

My friend has been telling me some evils of Comcast, they have been known to stop file-sharing programs such as torrents and stuff like that by extremely slowing it down. Haven't noticed it yet, and if they are not changing anything except the name, apparently, we may not have to worry about that.

But if they do, we'll need to get torrent programs that block your I.P. addresses and such. And I already have one my friend recommended just in case.....
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Comcast is extremely terrible in every way shape and form. I wish death on that company.