Thread: What this series and the playoffs taught the Pacers!!

diego

Default What this series and the playoffs taught the Pacers!!

Ok. Enough whining. lets get on to looking at what we can take from this years playoffs. First of all we improved immensely from last year. We had players liek Artest and Tins and Freddie really take big steps forward this year. Here are some other things i think we learned from this year:

1. Our biggest weakness is SG. Reggie is not a starter anymore and would make a great bench role player. But we need a SG who can create and score. This series proved that. We dont necessarily need a guard to penetrate as Tins can do that, but we need one that create own shot when shot clock is running down or offense stagnates. MID RANGE SCORING...we have none. One name i think of here that could possibly be had for less than Artest is Stackhouse. I knwo many here will disagree but if he can not be a cancer, he can definitley score. And with Washington so far away they might be willing to look at something there. Hell if Artest can turn it around, anyone can.

2. We are not that bad at Center. Again this series proved that. Obviously if we could upgrade here, then great, but Foster plays the spot well and it should not be ouor biggest area of concern. maybe number two but SG has got to be number 1.

3. We learned that AL after all is said and done is still as inconsistent as ever. Al is probably my favorite player, but he drives me crazy. I think there are only two options with him going into next season....either move ron to SG and play him at SF as starter or trade him for guard help.

4. Croshere showed some value to this team in playoffs and only has one year left on contract. We should keep him and let him play simlilar role next year. Then his contract is off the books, and we can go from there.

5. PG situation is clearly set with Tins. However i would liek to see Brewer take the back up role next year. I think his quickness and ball handling ability would be beneficial against the quicker guards in the east. AJ is a good and solid backup, but IMO Brewer could be a better defender with his length and quickness and could speed the tempo up when needed. I know Uncle Buck will not agree with this, but i just think its time for Brewer over AJ. However with Kenny going elsewhere i could see Brewer taking over the third spot and being used in specific situations against specific players. One thing about AJ i like is his playoff experience and being a veteran.

6. Bender showed glimpses and if he can stay healthy i think he is the perfect 6th man for thsi team next year. Can play several positions and can score from the bench.

7. I would like to see Primoz get shots at backup center next year, obviously Pollard is not the answer.

8. Freddie is a really growing and took a big step this year. BUT he is not starter material. He is a great bench, role player. He reminds me a lot of Aaron Mckie. Soild defender, can hit a jumper, but will never be legitimate starter at SG.

Overall i am very pleased with the season and the growth and maturity of the team. i think they have to make some kind of offseason move to upgrade the guard postion. Doesnt have to be a superstar, although that would be nice, but an upgrade is mandatory. I think the team is fine at all other positions because of their depth and flexibility, so if they can bring in a starting caliber SG it would really help them in playoffs. If they dont change a thing, they will again battle detroit in regualr season for division, probably be a top 3 seed and again lose in playoffs. Without guardplay in the east, it is like having no center int he west. The east of full of great guards...Kidd, Davis, Wade, Rip, Pierce, AI, etc... we need to be able to compete at that position.

sweabs

Default Re: What this series and the playoffs taught the Pacers!!

The east of full of great guards...Kidd, Davis, Wade, Rip, Pierce, AI, etc... we need to be able to compete at that position.
    Not anymore!!! .

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually Austin has a Contract til 2006/07 , 2007 /08 season he doesn't unless we keep him but I don't think we do.

Bender I still am not sold on his abilty to stay Injury Free or be solid when we need him , other than the Boston series he wasn't much of a Factor in the Playoffs and for his salary that's diappointing.

AL says he want's to be a a starter but he never seems to show when it counts why he should be a starter, still not sold on AL and I think we trade him for a upgrade.

I agree Freddie is not a starter yet , he still needs more time to develope and would make a great backup player and brings good energy off the bench.

Foster could be Great he needs to work out in the offseason and I think he needs to work on a 12-15 ft jumper , that would make him more of a great asset , your gonna be hard pressed to find another Center who can score and rebound , Jeff just really lacks some scoring and some better Defensive Skills. Give Jeff a 12-15 constant Jumper and You have Ala Rick Smits but with more husstle and grit

Zesty

I thought the last two years of Croshere's deal were a player option? Anyone who thinks he'd let that $$ go is out of his mind.

Yeah, Croshere has a player option in 05-06 which unless he is a moron he will not opt out of as no one will pay him the 9 million a year he will make in 05-06 and 06-07.

diego, I agree with much of that except I do think Freddie Jones is starter material, Next season.

However, I have a real problem with something. if Tinsley is going to be the Pacers point guard and Artest is goig to be the small forward, and I have no problem with either, but if those two guys are in pace, then the Pacers need a shooting gaurd who is an excellent shooter from distance. Is Freddie capable of that, I don't know yet

diego

UB,
    completely agree with needing an outside shooting threat. I just dont think Freddie is starter material for a CHAMPIONSHIP contender. Sure he could start for a weaker team, but i dont put faith in Freddie putting us over the top. I love his role as back up, good defender and brings some scoring from the bench.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ginobli is an unrestricted free agent. I dont know if we could pay him though. I also in agreement. Although i think an athletic SG is truly what we need. Someone who could go to the hole and need be dump off to JO for a easy layup/dunk. We definitely need a playmaker.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

UB,
    completely agree with needing an outside shooting threat. I just dont think Freddie is starter material for a CHAMPIONSHIP contender. Sure he could start for a weaker team, but i dont put faith in Freddie putting us over the top. I love his role as back up, good defender and brings some scoring from the bench.

Are you convinced that Tinsley is good enough?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are you convinced that Tinsley is good enough?
    Yes he is good enough. Only if he had a consistent jump shot.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS