Thread: Pacers Destiny

LAPacer

Default Pacers Destiny

Will the Pacers get another chance like this again? They are one of the higher payrolls in the league. Unless a team is really desperate, or we are really lucky, there isn't much room to make a significant change to the roster. TMac would be nice, but at what cost. Do stars really want to go to where it snows in the winter and not be near a coast? This year was a prime opportunity and it is gone. We had alot of things going:
    -MVP candidate in his prime
    -Defensive player of the year in his prime (for cheap $$)
    -Improved Point Guard (for cheap $$)
    -Clutch shooter still hitting some clutch shots
    -Runner up in sixth man (for cheap $$)
    -Home court throughout playoffs. BEST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE.
    -Weak Boston matchup
    -Young undersized Miami matchup
    -Low offense Detroit team matchup with no real superstar (hamilton... superstar??? allstar maybe.. superstar not yet.)

I hope we don't end up like the Kings. They had few key injuries in the playoffs in a perfect season to take the title. Now, they seem so far from a title even with a big acquisition of BMiller.

Before last nights game, Larry Brown said (paraphrased), "A chance to go to the Finals doesn't happen all the time, I've been coaching for 30 years and only been to the Finals once. I've been trying to get that across to the young guys on the team."

Did injuries, unfortunate bounces of the ball, passive play blow our great chance to finally bring respect to our Pacers?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Destiny

We didnt seize the moment when we had it. We has fans expect our team to make some sort of dent in the playoffs, but like Doc he went to the finals one time in like 13 or 14 years. If we have the opportunity we have got to go all out. Break legs, dunk the ball, by any means necessary.Wehave to be a team first and be willing to go to war with each other.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

We'll be back.

You've got your main players signed for a long time and they are young. The record may not show it but this team will be better next year. I don't think you guys have much to worry about come next year.

Will the Pacers get another chance like this again? They are one of the higher payrolls in the league. Unless a team is really desperate, or we are really lucky, there isn't much room to make a significant change to the roster. TMac would be nice, but at what cost. Do stars really want to go to where it snows in the winter and not be near a coast?
    Stars want to go where they will have a chance at a ring and get paid well. Not every star can go to a warm weather team... and not every warm weather team has a shot at a championship.

Indiana doesn't pursue prime time FA's because that isn't how management prefers to build the team (at least in the past). The small-market, cold winter, etc stuff is just a smokescreen. IMHO.

The interesting thing about the TMac stuff (and some other proposed stuff) is that it could be pursued thru a trade. That -IS- something that Indiana would do to get a prime time player (IMO). ....Assuming we are willing to concede we aren't balanced well and give up something OR cut our losses in some cases.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

LAPacer

The youth is what many seem to be ignoring in their anguish right now.
    This team will continue to get better for the next 3-4 years WITH NO MOVES, as the young guys improve.
    I'm as ticked about Al as anyone, but he's 24 years old!!! ANyone that doesn't think he'll be MUCH better in 3 years isn't paying attention to the way players develop.
    Bender is 23!! Freddie is what?? And neither of them are getting "normal" minutes yet!!
    Youth is overrated.
    malone and stockton were young once.
    payton and kemp.
    o'neal and hardaway.
    hardaway, mullin, webber.

This team will continue to get better for the next 3-4 years WITH NO MOVES, as the young guys improve.
    I'm as ticked about Al as anyone, but he's 24 years old!!! ANyone that doesn't think he'll be MUCH better in 3 years isn't paying attention to the way players develop.
    Bender is 23!! Freddie is what?? And neither of them are getting "normal" minutes yet!!
    Youth is overrated.
    payton and kemp.
    o'neal and hardaway.
    Reggie Miller....

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Youth is overrated.
    payton and kemp.
    o'neal and hardaway.
    We are YOUNG.
    That means that most of the players aren't as good now as they will be 3 years from now.
    Say that about Malone? Payton? Hardaway? Webber?
    Didn't think so.
    Think they/team owners wish they could have 3 years off these guys age?
    How much would they pay?
    We were just in the ECF.
    We'll be back (contenders) for the next 5 years.
    How exactly would you overrate that???

I think the point is that there are a lot of star players that were young once and they aren't exactly weighted down with NBA championship rings.... or even appearances...

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Yeah the same thoughts bother me more then anything. I really hope better things are to come but got that feeling this was our best chance and is gonna be for a few years with how our team is set up.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Larry Bird Said it Best here is this few lines .

"It's something we'll build on, but that doesn't make it feel any better," said team president Larry Bird as he sat quietly in the visitor's locker room. "I told our guys when the season began, I felt like we had the talent to go to the Finals. When you get that chance, you've got to seize the moment. Now we've got to go through a whole season and playoffs, and you never know what's going to happen with injuries."

Then Bird paused.

"But we've grown up a lot this season," he said.

I don't think we have the same easy road next year as we had this year and anyone who can sit here and say they can garunteee we will be back in the ECF next year is not being realisitic .

sweabs

I don't think we have the same easy road next year as we had this year and anyone who can sit here and say they can garunteee we will be back in the ECF next year is not being realisitic .
    I agree. Obviously Detroit and New Jersey will be major forces in the East...but just look our for guys like Miami, Cleveland, (healthy) New York, Milwaukee, and even Toronto.

Mood

Were Lucky because of the Realingment , I think the Hornets will be in the WC next year and I think they will be tough if they can get a player or two and stay healthy.

Youth is overrated.
    payton and kemp.
    o'neal and hardaway.
    We are YOUNG.
    That means that most of the players aren't as good now as they will be 3 years from now.
    Say that about Malone? Payton? Hardaway? Webber?
    Didn't think so.
    Think they/team owners wish they could have 3 years off these guys age?
    How much would they pay?
    We were just in the ECF.
    We'll be back (contenders) for the next 5 years.
    How exactly would you overrate that???

I think the point is that there are a lot of star players that were young once and they aren't exactly weighted down with NBA championship rings.... or even appearances...

-Bball
    The point is????....there was no point....Bird, Jordan and Magic were young once too and they got rings.... most players period don't get a ring or even make it to the finals....regardless of age or star status.

The only point is..... this team can compete at the top of the Eastern conference for years to come....you can't predict injuries, or lucky bounces... or who you may get matched up with in the playoffs.... you can only put together and develop a really competitive team ....I think it's clear we have... and do.... Plus we're just going to get better.

Anyone who thinks JO, Ron, AL,Freddie, JB, Jeff Foster, Jamaal aren't gonna get better is just silly.

this is a natural step or learning curve in getting to the finals......most championship teams make deep runs and lost out before getting the title themselves...

Mood

I thought this was a win first league. TMAC is a proven player. Dont you guys want to win now. Please save the stuff about age. TMAC is 25 years old. One more year of experience. And he doesnt even turn 25 until 8 days from now. Im tired of the potential in Bender when we know what were getting IF TMAC can be had. Are lineup is good for now and we gained good experience, but the pacers destiny to win it all could be with TMAC, not with a combustible Artest and an injury prone Bender. Im so so on Artest, but should we be able to get something good in return you take the risk.

Mood

IF I wasn't so lazy I would love to go back and find comments on ron Artest before the Detriot Series , I can't count how many times I heard coments like

Ron Artest Makes the other Guys play Better Defense
    Ron Artest is Clutch
    Ron Artest Saved us Tonight.
    The Players feed off Ron's Play

I am no GM , Nba coach and None of are if we were we wouldn't be her ewasting our time guessing and speculating

sad part is ron took alot of bad shots this series , but you know what I didn't see anyone else stepping up and saying I wanna win this series more than Ron , so quit saying ron is combustiable or he's a head case most of you a few weeks ago would have gave your first born to have ROn artest on this team and now he's just a easy excuse to blame someone for a lost series.

Mood

I guess thats where we disagree. In almost every game Artest throw up some questionable shots. Hell have of his shots looked like the were prayers. Im just calling it like i see it. He did save us sometime in games. IMO i just think that his bad outweigh his good. Oh yeah if he wasnt as strong as an ox most of those shots would not have failed.

Im not anti Artest im just saying if he is able to get us that player that puts us over the hump then we trade him. Other people will have to step up.

Steveman

You can't make forward progress by standing still. Teams around us will improve, Cleveland, Miami, etc. We stand still, they blow by.

-Bball
    That makes no sense at all.
    You're talking about 1 player. I'm talking about TEAM.
    It makes all kinds of sense. Having young talent is no guarantee of a championship. There are plenty of examples of that. And some players will never reach their supposed potential. Again, plenty of examples of that. Some will never reach it on their 1st team but will with a change of scenery. Still, it is no guarantee of a championship. And as been said, untimely injuries are also a possibility.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

LAPacer

Bottom line is we had a GOLDEN opportunity and it is gone. Regardless of youth (Jermaine, Artest, Bender, Harrington), age (Reggie), and injuries, our chance was here. The path to the Finals opened up for the Pacers. There are about 10+ teams next year who feel they can make it to the Finals. I hope the Pacers do it, but with the holes of this current team (SG, C), we may have to trade some youth to patch it. We will need some luck to get that chance again.

You can't make forward progress by standing still. Teams around us will improve, Cleveland, Miami, etc. We stand still, they blow by.
    If it were Donnie only in charge I'd be concerned about this, but Bird won't stand still! There is no way, he is too competitive and knows too well how other teams will continue to make moves to move forward. Detroit beat us because they made a move for Rasheed, without him we are in the finals this year. Rick mentioned that last night on his show, Detroit is a very different team this year than last year and they made it to the ECF last year. Joe D. wasn't afraid to make moves and I see Larry acting the same, i also trust larry to make the right moves and not go overboard like I think Danny Ainge did this year.

We missed an opportunity this year, no doubt. But it would have been hard to justify a lot of moves this offseason if we had advanced, and I think we are a player or two away from being able to compete in a 7 game series with the west. Look at NJ.

The Pacers are a great team. I know that as fans you are going to worry but you really don't have much to worry about. If anything anticipate how much better you will be next year after you trade some of your depth for better even better starters.

This team is as well placed as any to be near the top of the EC for the next 3-5 years. You have a ton of young guys, only Croshere and Pollard are what you'd call bad contracts and you have some pieces (Harrington & Bender) who you can deal without hurting yourslef too bad for pieces (SG) that will help you a bunch.

The EC has turned the corner and is getting better. Next year I look for 4 contenders - Detroit, NJ, Indy and Miami. Outside of the Nest, those teams are positioned to be very good for a long time.

The key is to not end up like Sacto - bunch of 50-win seasons and no finals.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

-MVP candidate in his prime He'll still be in his prime next year.
    -Defensive player of the year in his prime (for cheap $$) Same thing as Jermaine/same $ next year
    -Improved Point Guard (for cheap $$)
    -Clutch shooter still hitting some clutch shots Don't worry. He'll be back next year too!
    -Runner up in sixth man (for cheap $$)
    -Home court throughout playoffs. BEST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE. With the talent/coaching we have, this could be repeated.
    -Weak Boston matchup
    -Young undersized Miami matchup
    -Low offense Detroit team matchup with no real superstar (hamilton... superstar??? allstar maybe.. superstar not yet.)

-Bball
    That makes no sense at all.
    You're talking about 1 player. I'm talking about TEAM.
    It makes all kinds of sense. Having young talent is no guarantee of a championship. There are plenty of examples of that. And some players will never reach their supposed potential. Again, plenty of examples of that. Some will never reach it on their 1st team but will with a change of scenery. Still, it is no guarantee of a championship. And as been said, untimely injuries are also a possibility.

-Bball
    I guess we'll just have to disagree about what's sensible. You are still talking about an INDIVIDUAL player. The PACERS are a TEAM of young playerS. MULITIPLE. They aren't ALL going to fail.
    C'mon man!
    We're so far from the same page that I'm not even sure if we're in the same book!

I'd try and clarify things but I am so lost at this point I don't think I could do it! I clarified what someone else was saying (I thought) and now I don't even know what you are talking about. What individual? Who said anyone would fail? ....Or are you saying the current young players are so good that one (or more) of them is bound to bring us a championship?

I'm so confused!

I'm pretty sure you are missing the point tho... or else I am...

-Bball

------

-John Wooden