Thread: After Calming Down ...

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default After Calming Down ...

Well, to be honest, when Detroit started trimming the lead down as we approached halftime I figured they were going to ride the crowd to the energy needed to win this one. Especially with Tinsley out.

Let's not fool ourselves. If, at the beginning of the season, someone had said "over sixty wins and the ECF, bay-bee", we'd have probably said "nice dream" and continued talking about making 50 and getting to the second round. In fact, I think that's what we did.

Yes, we came up short, through a combination of too old, too young, and too injured. But the ride was a lot farther than most expected, and it was done using an amount of heart and desire that we haven't seen from a Pacer team in quite some time.

My thoughts:

- anyone who wants to get rid of Artest is insane. We should be building on Ron and JO as the future of the franchise. Of anyone on the court, Ronnie was the one willing to step up and at least try to put the team on his shoulders. The rest is playoff experience.

- anyone who wants to get rid of Rick is insane. There is no question that he coached differently in the playoffs than the regular season, and there is no question that he coached differently than he did in the playoffs with the Pistons. He is also maturing as a playoff coach, and I really think he takes this team even farther in the next two years.

- anyone who thinks Brad Miller was the single missing piece is insane. In this series (and almost in the Heat series) we were beaten by guards, not by front line play. Brad would have made our front court different, but not necessarily better. I think Ron doesn't come forward as an offensive weapon if Brad is on the floor, we certainly don't control the boards as well, and we once again have too many chiefs and not enough indians in the PF/C playing rotation. We Need RolePlayers.

- anyone who thinks we should stand pat at guard is insane. Tinsley showed a lot this year, but we were too weak behind him, though I have to give AJ his props for really stepping up in this series. Reggie - I love Reggie, but he was unable for whatever reason to do what he needed to do. His leadership is probably one of the most important things that got the team this far - but his playing is one of the things that kept us from going farther.

My primary goal for the summer would be to get a scorer onto the team. Not necessarily a superstar like a TMac (can't you see him fighting JO and Ron for the spotlight? No, TMac is going to the Knicks) but someone who can consistently score in whatever way is necessary - penetration, mid-range jumper, long ball, whatever. We've had individuals that did well in each spot, but we've never really had an all-around threat.

My secondary goal is at point. I think Tinsley (when healthy) is ready to take the next step up, but we have to have a backup (or 2) who are only slightly below him in caliber of play. This will be very tough, and frankly I don't have any names to put forward.

Expect Al to be gone, possibly Croshere as well. It takes good players to get good players, and no one is going to trade us value for scrubs.

I wish this year could have been different. But oh, what an unexpected and wonderful ride it was - and oh, what a future we have.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Default Re: After Calming Down ...

I don't have time to give this the total response I want to right now but I want to hit on a couple of things.

1. Ron Artest. I don't think moving Ron would make much sense with a huge caveate. I really really really was disgusted with his post game interview with our local news station. Now players will talk after games & say things in the heat of the moment. I can live with that, but re-read FireTheCoachs post on my Odd thoughts on game 6 thread & then that post game speech takes a little differant light. It would not be the first time this season that Ron had gone off the reservation. I can't think that J.O. would be very happy if Ron took it upon himself to take over the game at the end. Again, I'm not calling for his head & I really don't care about the flagrant foul, but it's hard to ignore the last 7 min. of the game & that post game interview.

2. Rick. I couldn't agree more with you. Rick is secure IMO.

3. Brad. I will tread lightly here because it is to early to bring this up. Would Brad have helped vs. the Pistons? Yes, IMO he would have. Could he have made the differance? Possibly but we will never know. However I will state this. Brad would not have played well vs. Miami so it's possible we may not have even gotten this far with Brad. I'm not saying we wouldn't have but it is possible. We do need guards, without a doubt but one thing that we did need & Brad could have provided was a consistant 15-20' shooter who could have busted up thier zone. He also could have been that third scoring option. But I think Austin did a very good job.

Please, for the love of God people, let's not start this yet. I'm sure this summer it will be argued ad nauseum. I am NOT saying Brad would have made a differance. I am even conceding that Brad might have hurt us in the Miami series.

4. Standing pat. Here is where I am conflicted. I don't know if we can promote from within or not. Fred has shown signs & then there is always the old standby of moving Ron to the S.G. spot. I'm gonna think on this one.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

2 Great Post By BillS and Peck

I think Bird summed it up best with this comment

"It's something we'll build on, but that doesn't make it feel any better," said team president Larry Bird as he sat quietly in the visitor's locker room. "I told our guys when the season began, I felt like we had the talent to go to the Finals. When you get that chance, you've got to seize the moment. Now we've got to go through a whole season and playoffs, and you never know what's going to happen with injuries."

Then Bird paused.

"But we've grown up a lot this season," he said.

I think next to Ron and J.O the position I am most pleased with is AJ at backup point guard. Please note I am saying backup point guard. IMO he is one of the best backup point guards in the whole NBA.

Brad Miller, the name I dare speak, sure his midrange shooting and passing would have been nice, but if you think the pacers got their shots blocked a lot, with brad it would have been worse, plus he does not shoot the three, so he would not have really stretched the defense that much

I think next to Ron and J.O the position I am most pleased with is AJ at backup point guard. Please note I am saying backup point guard. IMO he is one of the best backup point guards in the whole NBA.

Brad Miller, the name a dare speak, sure his midrange shooting and passing would have been nice, but if you think the pacers got their shots blocked a lot, with brad it would have been worse, plus he does not shoot the three, so he would not have really stretched the defense that much
    Stretching the defense does not mean shooting three's. He would have had his shot blocked for sure, but he would also have drawn fouls.

That's it, I'm done talking about Brad today.

I am sorry to Bill if this thread get's hijacked, it was not my intention.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

We need guards - and we need to get someone with the mid level exemption. Troy Hudson intrigues me.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Hmm . . . are you calling me insane?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.