Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacers/Spurs Post-Game 49: Spurs with 7 players in double digits

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Spurs Post-Game 49: Spurs with 7 players in double digits

Hey, at least I saw Archie Manning tonight!

When Dungy was announced to the crowd Conseco got the loudest it has been since Reggie hit the three in the 2004 Eastern Finals.......

Good first half, bad second half.

Same story, different night.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is anybody still actually cheering for this team to win?
    Yeah...Not really in me to root against em.

Meanwhile, at least we held them to 53.5% from the field. Way to lock it down, boys.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

truth is we don't have enough talent to win period...
    so we probably lose a good ammount.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Gambino View Post
    Didn't see the game, but how did we manage to score 9 points in the third?
    Try 4 in the first 8 minutes or so. But apparently the basket was broken. They spent 15 minutes putting on a new net after the third, clearly because the Pacers had pointed out that something with the rim was defective and keeping shots from going through.

Granger had 4 blocks that I counted, all impressive.

Dun, meh. Tins, meh. Troy, meh. Foster, meh+

Rush missed 2 open shots, didn't really have any impact. I think Quis got more time because of this fact. Ike/Graham were all garbage time but still, only one of them went 0-5 and it wasn't the guy shooting away from the rim.

Shawne couldn't buy a bucket, but in his case I'll ride out games like this for the final payoff.

The Spurs spent the first half getting easy looks that came easy to them thanks to their patient, flowing offensive plan. The Pacers kept things tied with red hot shooting and a ton of effort. That's the problem, they spend so much in effort to make the system work out that it seems to catch up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The Pacers kept things tied with red hot shooting and a ton of effort. That's the problem, they spend so much in effort to make the system work out that it seems to catch up with them.
    That is a very interesting point that deserves further discussion. Maybe I'll get back to it. I haven't seen any of the game last night, so I can't comment.

Yes to Seth's point. I just posted something kind of similar in the 2hr practice thread.

I think you can make the argument for both offensive and defensive systems. Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if JOb's insistence on his schemes isn't actually have as much or more negative impact than our lack of talent.

Certainly you put the two together and it's a recipe for a tank job whether intentionally or not.

By this point, I'd definitely try to simplify the defense. I am far from an Xs and Os genius, but it looks hard as hell to actually execute. Let alone with our players. And that wouldn't change even with a healthy JT and JO.

Offensively, they run up down and score a lot at times. Yet the insistence on just gunning 3s and perimeter stuff is wearing on me. And we know the scoring droughts that can result from depending to much on the J.

Generally speaking when you have a talent deficit the best way to win games is to play an extremely slow pace, maximize every possession and try to limit the number of possessions. Theory being a bad team has a better chance of winning an 80 possession game vs a 120 possession game

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    That's the problem, they spend so much in effort to make the system work out that it seems to catch up with them.

There is actually an offensive system? I mean besides using the definition of offensive being insulting to one's intelligence? There was absolutely no ball movement in the 2nd half, let alone anyone going to the basket. Granted, the Spurs are a vastly superior team. There first 5 off the bench are arguably as good as our starting 5. That being said, Travis D. had me seeing flash backs of that other Travis that played for us. Pounding the ball in the same spot for 10 seconds at a time and then either forcing a bad shot or passing to someone else that took a bad shot.

When the shots were falling in the first half it was great. When the Spurs clamped down and we needed to run some offense there was nothing happening. I remember someone suggesting a couple of weeks ago setting some screens to get Granger open in the flow. That was needed last night. One team was moving on offense and passing the ball from side to side, basic offensive theory to open up floor space, while the other team had 4 guys standing around watching a guy dribble. Granger is our best player. He should be getting more opportunities than the point guard.

I liked what I saw of Granger. Again, he needs the ball more in situations to be effective. Jeff was Jeff. He worked his butt off and did what he could being out manned. He has to be on a team with more offensive fire power than we have to be effective though. I even thought Tinsley did a decent job the few minutes he played. I had no desire to see Diener again after he sat down in the second half. Dunlevey and Murphy were o.k. Again, they look like players that need more motion and kick backs to be successful even though Dun was the only guy that went strong to the hoop other than Granger.

As for everyone else, I was not impressed. David tried, but he is what he is. Williams looks to be a 6'10 jump shooter. I've already talked about TD, and noone else was a factor when it mattered. Grahm's points came in garbage time and he may have had more if Ike wasn't so busy missing 2 footers. That was the first time I had seen him play. He looks really short. If he couldn't score on Elson then how will he ever score on someone with more talent?

Sorry to sound so negative, but that second half was alot worse than it should have been, just as the first was much better than it should have been. I spent so much time just shaking my head wondering why they were making such dumb decisions that it was hard to see any positives. Hopefully I will get to see us against another team this year besides the Spurs.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Generally speaking when you have a talent deficit the best way to win games is to play an extremely slow pace, maximize every possession and try to limit the number of possessions. Theory being a bad team has a better chance of winning an 80 possession game vs a 120 possession game
    I have no problem with our up-tempo offense in the first half. I'm even okay with continuing the up-tempo offense IF we continue to maintain a lead and continue to score.

But I would think that WHEN we begin to hit our typical scoring droughts that we would actually try to slow things down to try to maximize our possessions. It just seems to make sense that we would even change up the tempo if not the whole lineup with players that are much better at a half-court / "slow it down" offense.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

By the way, Vince Carter looked completely awesome last night.....Hey at least we would've scored more than 9 points in a quarter with him......