Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob Knight resigns?

Default Re: Bob Knight resigns?

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it is basically in the contract Pat takes over when Bob retires.
    That may be - but if the team finishes the season poorly - say going 3-8 the rest of the way - it becomes the perfect opportunity for Tech to say, "No thanks Pat."

If BK had finished out the season and Tech had signed Pat to, say, a 3-year deal over the summer, even if he sucked Pat would be due the balance of the contract. Now he gets to finish the year out as an interim and wait over the summer to find out if they really want him or not.

Unless there are some truly unique clauses in BK's deal such as, "Tech guarantees Pat a three year contract for $xxxxx dated from the date of my announced retirement."
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

streets ahead

Dan Wetzel has a nice column on Yahoo Sports about Knight. It is fairly lengthy so I just posted a section but you can read the full story by clicking the length.

His closest friends always cringed when the latest flare-up would occur Ė a thrown chair, a flipped chin, a fight at a salad bar (of all places) serving as red meat to the media and allowing Bob Knight's most incredible accomplishment to be lost in the clouds of controversy.

It's easy to show Knight's drama, of course. It's hard to admit the truth. But before retiring Monday after 42 seasons, 902 victories and three NCAA titles, Knight managed to prove the impossible somehow possible:

The coach who cheated the least won the most.

If you want to be honest about Bob Knight then you have to be honest about college basketball, which means admitting it has been corrupt to the core for decades, a sport where the sinners exponentially outnumber the saints, where no matter how pretty the pig gets painted each March, it's still a pig.

At the elite level, you cheat, you might win. You don't cheat, you'll probably get fired.

That's about it. It really is. Plenty of your coaching "geniuses" are nothing more than smart recruiters eviscerating the NCAA rule book. But don't take my word for it.

"At the national level, the elite level, how many coaches really did it honestly through the years?" said Sonny Vaccaro on Monday. "That's a good question."

Vaccaro spent 43 years virtually inventing and then running grassroots basketball. He staged all-star games and shoe company camps, signed endorsement deals with Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant and was, at the very least, a sounding board for just about every dirty recruiting deed ever done.

He's not called college basketball's "Godfather" for nothing.

"Because of my role, I know these things," Vaccaro said. "I've heard it all. I've been there for these things."

So how many of the big-time, great ones are or were really, truly clean? Vaccaro spent some time thinking about it, running down national championships won, Final Fours made and coaching careers lionized.

"I guess three coaches, maybe four, I'm not 100 percent sure about one guy," Vaccaro said. "And even among that group, Knight stands alone, stands above. I've never heard a single thing about him, never heard anything. Nothing. He's the cleanest one."

READ FULL COLUMN
    http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_...yhoo&type=lgns
    This is the darkest timeline.

Default Re: OT: Bob Knight resigns at TT son to coach

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Knight would sure look good in a Patriots sweater...

Bob Knight is really good friends with Bill Belichick, so I guess RMK must have some redeeming qualities.

(just kidding, but they are indeed old friends through Parcells, who coached with or against BB's father and of course had BB as an assitant).

I enjoyed the RMK era at IU, admire and respect him as a coach and teacher, love watching his teams play, and wish him well.

I don't think he was blameless in hastening his departure by not toeing the line better with his behavior. face it, he was a jerk at times. I wish he could have been more composed in situations that ultimately damaged his reputation and IU's. Too bad he couldn't reign in the negatives.

Behind the scenes, though, he did many wonderful things too, off the court.

The many negatives are, in the big picture, overshadowed by his accomplishments, winning, teaching, and not falling into the lure of illegal recruiting.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I'm not impressed by a coach ripping into a player who played a good first half.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Don't look for me to defend it, but I'm sure the theory was that Michael could take it and the signal it sent to the other players (seeing Michael Jordan torn apart for what they all thought was good play) should really cause them to step up their own games. Maybe even Knight's thinking was that these players as a whole could get more out of this this way than if he lit into the one(s) he really had an issue with (because that player might not take well to direct criticism).
    Herb Brooks did the same thing with the 1980 Olympic Hockey team leading up to the Olympics. If the 1981 movie "Miracle On Ice" is to be believed Herb would rip into Mike Eruzione when he was mad at the team. Herb told Mike if he called him Eruzione he was really mad at the team but if he called him Mike he was specifically mad at him.

Sure it's mind games, but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

Unless there are some truly unique clauses in BK's deal such as, "Tech guarantees Pat a three year contract for $xxxxx dated from the date of my announced retirement."
    I would've thought any deal already on paper to follow Knight would be in Pat's contract, not Knights....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is a Bob move.

He preaches self-discipline to his players, yet he can't control his anger.

He preaches that his players have respect, yet shows no repect towards them.

He preaches loyalty to the team, yet bails on his team after he gets his 900th win.

Bob Knight the walking Hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Herb Brooks did the same thing with the 1980 Olympic Hockey team leading up to the Olympics. If the 1981 movie "Miracle On Ice" is to be believed Herb would rip into Mike Eruzione when he was mad at the team. Herb told Mike if he called him Eruzione he was really mad at the team but if he called him Mike he was specifically mad at him.

Sure it's mind games, but it worked.
    I think you're talking about the documentary that played on HBO (Disney had a more recent movie starring Kurt Russel). That's an excellent documentary (provided we're talking about the same thing). The later Disney movie (was it just called "Miracle?") stayed pretty true to the documentary, but the documentary is just excellent viewing for anyone that is a sucker for a "David vs Goliath" type drama.

To me, the documentary is as good as any movie along the same themes... except it's real. I might have to pull the DVD out and watch it again now that you've got me thinking about it again.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

woman without a team

No, I'm talking about the movie from '81 where Karl Malden played Herb Brooks and Andrew Stevens played Mike Eruzione. I forgot it was just a TV movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082754/

On the Texas Tech Pat Knight Show. It had Bob Knight at the beginning explaining he didn't look at it as retiring or resigning or quiting he was simply stepping down to let Pat Knight take over, which has been planned for along time. So maybe we will See him back at a real basketball school. Hey, We might have an opening lol