Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Knight resigns?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bob Knight resigns?

wow.

I can't believe there are no reasons for it. Even though he's a complete a$$, I wish him well.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

woman without a team

Maybe because the Patriots didn't win Bob lost the will to go on.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Default OT: Bob Knight resigns at TT son to coach

Just heard it on Fox News.

Bet there's a good story there somewhere. Maybe he'll become a consultant to Miles Brand and the NCAA here in Indy.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Default Re: OT: Bob Knight resigns at TT son to coach

Report: Knight resigns at Texas Tech

Lubbock, TX (Sports Network) - Texas Tech head coach Bob Knight, the winningest coach in the history of Division I men's basketball, has reportedly resigned, effectively immediately.

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal first reported Knight's resignation after he met Monday morning with Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers. Knight's son, Pat, who is in his seventh season with the Texas Tech program, will reportedly take over as the head coach.

The 67-year-old Knight has 902 career victories and 371 losses. The Red Raiders are 12-8 this season, the elder Knight's seventh at Texas Tech.

Knight won three NCAA titles in his 29 seasons at Indiana and also spent six years at Army.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...AEN4127971.htm

Lubbock, TX (Sports Network)
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I never thought he would resign like this. He should of stuck it out to the end of the season, unless he has some sort of health problem or something. I see why he resigned, he isn't getting quality recruits down in dry land, he can't stand not making the tournament and he knows it's not his fault and most of all; the game is changing to street ball, faster and faster every year.

Mood

Maybe they'll bring him in to clean up the IU program.

(if'n ya can't tell...I'm drinking my Jim Beam)
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Banned

Maybe he will lay back and wait for an opening this spring when a lot of coaches are fired. It would be great to see him back at a real basketball college instead of a outpost in Texas.

I have a feeling that its health related. (hope I'm wrong) He got sick at the "great alaska shootout" this year. Then missed a week after returning home.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a feeling that its health related. (hope I'm wrong) He got sick at the "great alaska shootout" this year. Then missed a week after returning home.
    yeah, I wasn't mentioning that. I will admit..........I have always been a Knight apologist...even tho I found him embarrassing at times.

...Guess the mythical IU vs TT NCAA Tourney matchup will never happen now (or has certainly lost much of it's meaning if it ever does).

Since I hadn't heard of any Knight shenagins recently, my first thought seeing this news is "health related".

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Digger Phelps just said: He called Karen Knight and she said that his health was fine. Digger believed he stepped down to protect Patrick Knight by giving him the job mid-season. By Patrick being named Coach now it would make an easier transition. It would prevent the (new) administration from opening up the job if he resigned at seasons end.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm pretty sure he did this to ensure that Pat would get a chance to take over the reins.

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    Digger Phelps just said: He called Karen Knight and she said that his health was fine. Digger believed he stepped down to protect Patrick Knight by giving him the job mid-season. By Patrick being named Coach now it would make an easier transition. It would prevent the (new) administration from opening up the job if he resigned at seasons end.
    Was it already known this was Knight's last season? Were there rumblings in Texas that Knight 'only' getting 12-8 out of this team wasn't good enough? I didn't know Knight was games away from coaching his last game so to quit midseason seems out of character.

I suppose I understand the thinking, it does give Patrick a couple of months to show what he can do BUT TT can still move on this spring if they are so inclined. I thought there was already a transition contract in place giving the job to Patrick when Bob moved on anyway (if so I don't know why Knight would feel this was needed).

I guess Patrick better pass this audition, huh?

I still think there could be more to the story....

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Knight would sure look good in a Patriots sweater...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Knight would sure look good in a Patriots sweater...

just feed me battery acid and shoot me while hanging upside down over an alligator pit.

I'm pretty sure he did this to ensure that Pat would get a chance to take over the reins.
    Should be a dream basketball gig for Pat....

Oh wait.... nevermind...

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

------

-John Wooden

Can someone post the text verbatum of the story Digger Phelps just told about Bob Knight on 11:00 PM ET 2/4/08 verison of sportscenter. I only caught part of it about Ewing I assume it was patrick Ewing and I'm guessing it was during Olympic practice but not sure...something about how Iba, Thompson and maybe Phelps were involved...Knight chewing out someone...it sounded like a classic..hopefully its replayed later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ironore1288 View Post
    Can someone post the text verbatum of the story Digger Phelps just told about Bob Knight on 11:00 PM ET 2/4/08 verison of sportscenter. I only caught part of it about Ewing I assume it was patrick Ewing and I'm guessing it was during Olympic practice but not sure...something about how Iba, Thompson and maybe Phelps were involved...Knight chewing out someone...it sounded like a classic..hopefully its replayed later tonight.
    I didn't hear it but there is the classic story of Michael Jordan playing a stunning first half of basketball for Knight in the Olympics and when they got to the lockerroom Knight laid into Jordan and totally ripped him... leaving the rest of the team to wonder "If he's that mad at Jordan's play, what does he think of mine???"

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I'm not impressed by a coach ripping into a player who played a good first half.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I'm not impressed by a coach ripping into a player who played a good first half.....
    Imagine how impressed you would have been by that same coach forcing his team to lose by 50 because he didn't like their effort. No joke. It still stings thinking about that game after all these years. Damn Gophers.

Am I the only one who sees all the parallels between Knight's career and No Country For Old Men?

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post

Don't look for me to defend it, but I'm sure the theory was that Michael could take it and the signal it sent to the other players (seeing Michael Jordan torn apart for what they all thought was good play) should really cause them to step up their own games. Maybe even Knight's thinking was that these players as a whole could get more out of this this way than if he lit into the one(s) he really had an issue with (because that player might not take well to direct criticism).

Or... since it is Knight we're talking about... He might've been constipated and just wanted to throw a fit about anything to vent....

For a long time I always thought there was a method to Knight's madness... but I come to believe (especially in the later years) that it was more madness than any method.

And Shade, that Gopher game was the turning point for me.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I think it is basically in the contract Pat takes over when Bob retires.