Thread: Offseason changes

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Offseason changes

What an amazing game last night..I found myself almost as happy as I was when we won last year. With a win, the Pats would have had their 4th superbowl of the past decade, and would have placed themselves among the greatest teams of all time.

Now that the season is over, I can't help but think ahead to next year. I still feel like the Pats are the #1 team in the AFC (unfortunately), and I think we need to make some rather big moves to catch up. Right now, I have no idea what to expect from Marvin next year. Some people say he will come back as good as ever, while some think he won't even play for us again. Because of this uncertainty, I feel like a top-tier receiver is something we need to look for via the draft, or free agency. I still think our OL can use improvement, but I really don't know what players are available there so I can't comment on who to go after.

On the defensive side of the ball, I don't have too many worries. I think more than anything, we need to look for depth. If possible, we could try to find an upgrade at one of the LB positions.

What players does everyone think are a realistic option to pick up this offseason? And who does everyone think should be our #1 priority? I haven't looked at any kind of Free Agent list so I don't know who's available.

Being an IU fan, I watched all the games this year. I feel like one guy that we should try to pick up is James Hardy. I don't know how big of a difference he will make his first year, but he truly reminds me of someone like TO (without the attitude), or Randy Moss. Thoughts?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default Re: Offseason changes

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

On the defensive side of the ball, I don't have too many worries. I think more than anything, we need to look for depth. If possible, we could try to find an upgrade at one of the LB positions.
    I disagree. With the core of Keaho, hagler, and bracket... and Rob Morris coming back. Also, don't forget Clint Session had some nice moments when he had a chance to play, I like our linebacking group.

I think we need some depth on the definsive line, notice how our pass rush dissapeared without freeny. We need to get at least one more guy who can get to the qaurterback at will. Thats how you beat the pats.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I wouldn't mind another middle linebacker option ... someone to groom.

But the outside 'backers aren't a big worry to me. Though, you have to remember the Colts love to shuffle out that outside spot. Peterson, Thornton, June ... it's never a bad idea to have another body ready.

Outside of that, I wouldn't mind another body at d-end. The secondary -- which I thought I'd never say -- is actually really, really solid.

This will be a draft where they'll address 1-2 needs, but the best player available (that, of course, fits the system) will be picked throughout.

And how about a punter? ... Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And how about a punter? ... Anyone?
    Why would we need a punter? Hunter Smith gets the job done and isn't called upon enough to really be that worn down.

I think a lot of people are forgetting about Dante Hughes. He was doing pretty well as a rookie nickel back then went down with an injury and Tim Jennings had to play.

Lilja and Scott are both free agents, so we'll see if either of them are back. As horrible as Charlie Johnson played at OT, he was solid when he lined up inside.

I knew we had a lot of injuries, but going back over them it's ridiculous. Dwight, Roy Hall, Hughes, Booger, Morris, Marvin, Freddie K was in and out, same with Ugoh and Diem. All those guys missed multiple games. Makes you appreciate what Ed Johnson did for the interior of the DL that much more.

I agree with most that this is a draft that doesn't have a massive hole to fill (see Glenn, Tarik). Unless you consider line depth a massive hole. If either/both of our OGs leave I'd love to see one taken with our first pick (which is what, #58 or so?). The mocks and analysis I've seen make it seem like if the Colts took a G in the second round they'd have their pick of the whole class. I know it's out of character to take a lineman that high, but I'd endorse it. If not a G, then an OLB. I love Freddie, but the guy can't seem to stay healthy and Rob's what 31 now and coming off major injury.

WR depth is also a need, and it's hard to say how much of one w/o knowing about Marvin's future. But Peyton made Craphonso Thorpe and Devin Oroshamadouueeooo look like real NFL WRs and Roy Hall should make contributions as well, a 5th/6th round flier on one would be enough I think. I also think Kenyunta Dawson is going to be a good option as a pass rushing end since he'll actually be able to play there this season. We have so many guys coming off injury it's almost like they're their own draft class. I want G (if either of ours leave), OLB, CB (get rid of Jennings already) and DE, in that order.
    Last edited by tdubb03; 02-05-2008 at 09:13 AM.

[QUOTE=tdubb03;651916]

WR depth is also a need, and it's hard to say how much of one w/o knowing about Marvin's future. But Peyton made Craphonso Thorpe and Devin Oroshamadouueeooo look like real NFL WRs QUOTE]

I never thought that. I was not impressed with either one of these guys. Neither one of them was as good as a healthy Aaron Moorehead, which isn't saying much AT ALL. Drafting IU reciever James Hardy would deepen the WR talent significantly. I would love to see Hardy in a Colts jersey. Every other WR not named Harrison, Wayne or Gonzalez should be cut or relagated to the practice squad.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

I would love to see Hardy as well, but can't in any way see him falling that far unless his workouts are just dreadful. The mocks I've seen have him going middle to late first round.

I'm on the O-Guard, D-tackle bandwagon as well, with another receiver and running back thrown in. If the adage about the greatest leap being from first to second year, we ought to have a bunch of last years rookies really be major contributors.

People that are saying our D-line was terrible because of the way they looked against SD are forgetting that the entire training camp starting lineup of Freeney, McFarland, Brock and Mathis was injured. I know the latter 2 played, but didn't appear to be anywhere near their normal capacity.
    Last edited by McClintic Sphere; 02-08-2008 at 11:57 AM.