Thread: foster to san antonio

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default foster to san antonio

i've posted this in the main board here , but i think that thread has veered off in another direction. anyway, it's more suitable for the trade board.

the interesting thing about a san antonio deal is that they're slightly over the luxury tax after signing stoudamire while we're still slightly under this year. we would be doing the spurs a big favor if we take on an extra $1m in salary in the trade - say, by swapping francisco elson for david harrison. spurs will save a substantial amount (~$2m rebate for being below the tax) on top of the actual tax amount, which should be worth an extra pick for us.

the deal could go like this:

jeff foster ($5.7m) and harrison ($1.3m) for brent barry ($5.5m), elson ($3m), rights to tiago splitter, and spurs' 2008 pick

the spurs get foster plus they drop below the luxury threshold. we get expiring contracts plus assets that would be useful in a rebuilding situation.

it's a sort of reward to foster by sending him to his hometown team and an elite contender to boot. the expiring deals would hopefully enable us to re-sign kareem rush and pay for big man tiago splitter (who will need a buyout from his euro team). splitter is not an elite prospect, but he's a solid center who's defense, intensity, and rebounding should help replace foster.

thoughts?

Default Re: foster to san antonio

I was about to post the same thread. I think it makes alot of since for both teams. Would we go over the luxuary take threshold.

streets ahead

well we have a couple grand before we hit it as is and taking on an extra $2mil (on elson) from the spurs would push us over.

the deal could be expanded maybe?

foster / daniels
    bonner / barry / elson / splitter / pick
    This is the darkest timeline.

I don't really like this deal. I'd hope that Jeff would fetch a little more in return than a mediocre big, a mediocre prospect, and a mediocre pick.

I'm wondering if the Pacers didn't leak Utah's interest in Foster to the press to try to get better offers.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd hope that Jeff would fetch a little more in return than a mediocre big, a mediocre prospect, and a mediocre pick.
    I'm not sure he's worth more than that combination. I'd be pretty satisfied with those three. Elson's contract is an expiring so we might have trouble keeping him. This year's draft is loaded with SGs, so the Spurs pick could translate into a backup SG in case Rush walks. Interestingly, draftexpress has Thabeet pretty low in the first. (Also, the same sight has Splitter as worst case Jeff Foster, best case PJ Brown.)

I would think the Pacers are trying to package some good players with bad contracts, but like Memphis with Gasol and Cardinal, might be hard pressed to find any takers. The Gasol trade though does put some pressure on the Western Conference teams, so Foster's price might have just got a bump.

I don't really like this deal. I'd hope that Jeff would fetch a little more in return than a mediocre big, a mediocre prospect, and a mediocre pick.

I'm wondering if the Pacers didn't leak Utah's interest in Foster to the press to try to get better offers.
    Foster is a nice player. He's always been one of the league's better backup bigmen and he plays hard and knows his role.

But he is what he is. He's a 30 year old backup. A very good backup at that, but getting a late pick and a young prospect who plays the same position is probably what the best you're looking at.

Nobody is giving up a high pick or one of their more coveted prospects. Perhaps you might get one of Almond or Miles from Utah, but they definitely aren't trading Paul Milsap.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    i've posted this in the main board here , but i think that thread has veered off in another direction. anyway, it's more suitable for the trade board.

the interesting thing about a san antonio deal is that they're slightly over the luxury tax after signing stoudamire while we're still slightly under this year. we would be doing the spurs a big favor if we take on an extra $1m in salary in the trade - say, by swapping francisco elson for david harrison. spurs will save a substantial amount (~$2m rebate for being below the tax) on top of the actual tax amount, which should be worth an extra pick for us.

the deal could go like this:

jeff foster ($5.7m) and harrison ($1.3m) for brent barry ($5.5m), elson ($3m), rights to tiago splitter, and spurs' 2008 pick

the spurs get foster plus they drop below the luxury threshold. we get expiring contracts plus assets that would be useful in a rebuilding situation.

it's a sort of reward to foster by sending him to his hometown team and an elite contender to boot. the expiring deals would hopefully enable us to re-sign kareem rush and pay for big man tiago splitter (who will need a buyout from his euro team). splitter is not an elite prospect, but he's a solid center who's defense, intensity, and rebounding should help replace foster.

thoughts?
    First thought is about something I've read other people saying in the same situation about other players. That being ". . . it's a sort of reward to foster by sending him to his hometown team and an elite contender to boot."

My question is how do you know Foster would look at going to SA as a sort of reward? I'm not saying he wouldn't, he and his family could be thrilled. However, there's the obvious other side of the coin, and that's he and his family will view it as a hardship. For all we know they could love Indiana and not want to leave.

Another thought is you are obviously going by Hoopshype salaries. Hoopshype has Jeff at $5.7m. ESPN and Storytellers have him at $5.5m. Harrison is different too. Hoopshype has him at $1.3m whereas the others have him at $1.7m.

As is this trade works as,

Foster.....$5,500,000
    Harrison...$1,734,316
    Total.......$7,234,316

Barry......$5,544,370
    Elson......$3,000,000
    Total......$8,544,370

This trade would add $1,310,054 to the Pacers payroll, and put them having to pay the luxury tax, thus I see no way they do it. It would cost them,

$993,164 ......The amount they are under the tax line now.
    $316,890....The amount they go over.
    $316,890....The dollar for dollar amount they go over.
    $2,500,000....The rough estimate they would get back from the NBA.*
    -------------
    $4,126,944 Actual amount the trade will cost the Pacers. Which means the Pacer's wouldn't do this trade as constructed.

As for the Spurs payroll after signing Stoudamire. ESPN has them at $67,329,751, which is still $535,249 under the luxury tax. Since neither team is wanting to pay the tax, the only way I see to do the trade above would be to include more players. We would have to include Ike, and they would have to include Vaughn, and Mahinmi. (I don't see any other way to make it work without getting into core players from both teams) That would make the trade look like this,

Foster.....$5,500,000
    Ike..........$2,286,360
    Harrison...$1,734,316
    Total.......$9,520,676

Barry......$5,544,370
    Vaughn...$1,219,590
    Mahinmi...$0,625,840
    Elson......$3,000,000
    Total......$10,389,800

This trade would add $869,124 to the Pacers payroll, but they would still be under the luxury tax.

*http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...ad.php?t=36285
    Last edited by Will Galen; 02-05-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Secret Agent Man-O.N.E. James Bond's Avatar

NOOOOOOOO.
    Not Foster!!
    He's my homeboy!!!!

I would do that deal. I really like Tiago, I think I suggested something like this before.

I've wondered how much of the Spurs youth, such as Tiago and any picks, they are willing to give up as they have a team with a lot of miles on it.

will,

about the "sort of reward for foster" comment. i think most players would prefer not to be traded mid season. the off season at least gives you time to adjust. but if we have to trade jeff, isn't it better to send him somewhere he'd probably prefer rather than, say, the bobcats or hawks? that's what i meant anyway.

yup, hoopshype salary info is maybe not so reliable. but other info on the web might not be either. i think we're agreed that the pacers right now are under the tax, but we can't know for certain how much that is. for the spurs though, i saw a report that claims stoudamire would put them over the luxury tax by a small amount, costing them the ~$2m rebate from the nba.

i can't find the article any more, but here's the reference at realgm ( http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=757395 ). might not be true of course.

i view the trade as 2 transactions. 1) jeff for barry and splitter. 2) harrison for elson and the spurs' pick. if i got the luxury tax situation wrong, then obviously there'd be little incentive to do part 2. but i think part 1 should still be ok (though not as attractive as with part 2).

i hope to get more for foster too but i don't think you can get much better offers. also, i'm a little higher on splitter than perhaps is implied by my initial post. he won't be a star, but i think he would be a solid starter.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    I've wondered how much of the Spurs youth, such as Tiago and any picks, they are willing to give up as they have a team with a lot of miles on it.
    that's the main stumbling block imo, too. well, they'll still have udoka and mahinmi. and remember they didn't hesitate to dump scola in order to save on tax.