Thread: This Super Bowl has me more convinced than ever (Re: Colts)

Default This Super Bowl has me more convinced than ever (Re: Colts)

That we should invest this draft and off-season in making the OL and DL as improved beyond last year as possible. I think it will be huge for our chances at getting a second title with this group. More protection for Peyton = more time for him to make a decision, and less sacks. Better D line = more pressure on their QB and more sacks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: This Super Bowl has me more convinced than ever (Re: Colts)

Agreed 100%.

I wouldn't mind sprucing up our special teams a bit, either.

I'm hyped for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That we should invest this draft and off-season in making the OL and DL as improved beyond last year as possible. I think it will be huge for our chances at getting a second title with this group. More protection for Peyton = more time for him to make a decision, and less sacks. Better D line = more pressure on their QB and more sacks.
    Excellent assessment. The largest problems we ended the season with were not giving PM time to work, and giving the opposing QB too much time to work.

Through all that, there are some interesting players out there. I would love to get ahold of Warrick Dunn, and the rumblings that Chad Johnson wants out has me fantasizing.....

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Have to agree. Manning got sacked more this year than any year since 2002. The O Line is key to Manning having great longevity. It definitely stung to have Tarik retire out of nowhere and then to have Ugoh get hurt.

Your OL was OK - not great but you had a rookie starting at tackle. Your DL did well and truly suck.

On D it doesn't have to be a lineman - you could get an OLB who can rush. In fact, if Freeney and Brock are healthy, that would help more than trying to bring pressure up the middle. But you definitely didn't put any pressure on QB's after Freeney went out.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

woman without a team

You can't really tell anything because of all the injuries we had this year. That being said I know there's one OL Kegboy wants to get rid of but I can't remember which one it is.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I agree, we should definitely look into strengthening our OL and DL.

I think our DL will be fine as long as Freeny and Mathis are healthy and especially if McFarland does come back.

I'd look into getting Peyton more protection on the OL, at least pick one good OL in the upcoming draft.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

If you want to win in the playoffs, you have to win the trench battles at the line of scrimmage. The skill players are too even in talent when you get good teams together and that's what it comes down to.

Well, it's not brain surgery. Win up front, win ball games. This year, the Colts were set back (a little) by Ugoh, who was injured a bit, and (a lot) by the loss of Freeney.

Oh, and there was this guy named Booger McFarland who didn't play a single snap.

I'm not really concerned about the lines. They'll pick up a body or two to improve, and they'll both be better for it.

Agree....and also I hope the Colts and Dungy learned a valuable lesson from the past 3 years.

Play all games to win and keep momentum into the playoffs:

See Colts last year, Pittsburg the year before and NY Giants this year- All teams played it out (Colts had to, Pittsburg had to & Giants didn't but knew it was better to play to win!!)

See Colts two years ago and this year, played final games "not to get hurt"....went into the playoffs flat and it cost them dearly.

It better be obvious to Dungy what to do now at the end of the season....play to win! I always struggled with what the right answer was (stay healthy or play it out), but after the last three years, it is obvious that playing to win is the right answer.

Water

Yep. We need some more passrushers (hopefully Dawson can help there). And the OL needs to get their groove back. It's all about the trenches.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Always and forever Defense>Offense!!! This year shows that more then ever, however the Pats D wasn't that bad it was the Giants D was just so good and their young talent beyond Strahan is really stellar. I'm just so happy to see Eli, Strahan and Coughlin get a ring. My football year couldn't be more fulfilled unless the colts had won it.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    You can't really tell anything because of all the injuries we had this year. That being said I know there's one OL Kegboy wants to get rid of but I can't remember which one it is.
    I've never liked Diem, but we sure missed him when he was hurt. I don't have a problem with our OL at all, the depth was hurt by Glenn retiring at the 11th hour, and they suffered a lot of injuries. And actually, you can make the same argument with our DL, with Booger and Freeney out. Nobody is going to recover from those kinds of loses, and our team did an admirable job performing as well as they did.

I trust in Polian to to improve our depth in the offseason, but you can certainly make the argument that the most improvement will already come from Charlie and Ed Johnson moving back down the depth chart.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    but you can certainly make the argument that the most improvement will already come from Charlie and Ed Johnson moving back down the depth chart.
    ...down the depth chart BUT with a whole lot more experience for when/if they are called up again...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I've never liked Diem, but we sure missed him when he was hurt. I don't have a problem with our OL at all, the depth was hurt by Glenn retiring at the 11th hour, and they suffered a lot of injuries. And actually, you can make the same argument with our DL, with Booger and Freeney out. Nobody is going to recover from those kinds of loses, and our team did an admirable job performing as well as they did.

I trust in Polian to to improve our depth in the offseason, but you can certainly make the argument that the most improvement will already come from Charlie and Ed Johnson moving back down the depth chart.

I think Booger is due a roster bonus of some sort and will probably be let go. Based on Ed Johnson's play this year I have no problem with that.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I don't disagree with bolstering the lines but keep in mind they will already be bolstered by returning injured players. We lost a lot of games to injury this past season.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I agree with Aba. I'm fine with our D-Line, we just need Dwight back.

I do think we can upgrade the O-Line though.