Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

  1. #1
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/10615544

    NFL denying it though. Call me stupid for not believing them. If the Patriots denied it, then it must be false!





    NFL, Patriots deny report that N.E. taped Rams before Super Bowl


    Feb. 2, 2008
    CBSSports.com wire reports
    Click here to find out more!


    Share this page.

    PHOENIX -- A member of the New England Patriots' video staff taped the St. Louis Rams' last walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl, a Boston newspaper reported Saturday.
    Advertisement

    Click here to find out more!

    The NFL, however, said it was satisfied this was not another Spygate.

    "We were aware of the rumor months ago and looked into it. There was no evidence of it on the tapes or in the notes produced by the Patriots, and the Patriots told us it was not true," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Associated Press.

    Citing an unidentified source, the Boston Herald reported that a Patriots employee recorded the Rams' walkthrough at the Superdome in the New Orleans a day before the Super Bowl. New England beat the heavily favored Rams 20-17 for its first NFL title.

    The Herald reported that a source close to the Patriots in the 2001 season said the team held a walkthrough at the Superdome in New Orleans before the game on Feb. 3, 2002. After the Patriots took a team picture, a member of their video department stayed inside the stadium and taped the Rams' session.

    It was not known whether the cameraman was told by the Patriots to film the practice or what he did with the tape, the Herald said. The Rams were two-touchdown favorites, but lost on Adam Vinatieri's last-second field goal.

    "The suggestion that the New England Patriots recorded the St. Louis Rams' walkthrough on the day before Super Bowl XXXVI is absolutely false. Any suggestion to the contrary is untrue," Patriots spokesman Stacey James told the AP.

    Rams spokesman Rick Smith, reading a statement from team president John Shaw, said, "At this point, we have no comment."

    The unbeaten Patriots will try to win their fourth Super Bowl in seven seasons Sunday when they play the New York Giants.

    Early this season, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell fined New England coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and docked the team $250,000 and a first-round draft pick after the Spygate scandal. The Patriots were accused of videotaping New York Jets defensive coaches as they signaled to players.

    New England did not have a walkthrough Saturday. The Giants held one at the Arizona Cardinals' practice facility.

    A walkthrough is done without pads or helmets, giving teams a chance to practice their formations.

    Goodell spent much of his state of the game address Friday talking about that episode. He said he did not think the Patriots used such tapes to win previous titles.

    "There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories," he said.

    Goodell also defended his decision to destroy notes and videotapes linked to the Spygate, saying "there was no purpose for them."

    Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who sent Goodell a letter asking for explanation, said Goodell's response "didn't make any sense at all."
    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2007-2008, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserv

  2. #2
    Member McClintic Sphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Goodell might as well be a member of the Patriot's PR department.

    You just know 99% of these players past their prime that "rejuventated themselves" with the Patsies, are mainlining the HGH as well.

  3. #3
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats taped on and off from 01-07.

    And people wonder why some despise these guys?

    Sucks for good vets such as Marshall Faulk and Tory Holt (and all of the other Rams who might have gotten screwed), if this does indeed come out to be true.

  4. #4
    Member McClintic Sphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Here is a whole lot more from the guy that use to do the dirty work for the Patsies:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3226465

    By Mike Fish
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)

    LAHAINA, Hawaii -- Matt Walsh worked seven years with the New England Patriots before being let go on Martin Luther King Day in 2003. He was on the New Orleans Superdome sidelines when the Pats kicked off their dominant run, upsetting the St. Louis Rams in the 2002 Super Bowl. He wasn't a chiseled athlete, but a go-getter who climbed his way up the team's support staff ladder -- first as a public relations intern, then as a video assistant and later, in his last year, a college scout. Mostly, though, his years with New England were spent shooting football video. He was the third, and last, employee on the video staff.

    In his words, he was Matt Estrella before Matt Estrella, a reference to the Patriots video assistant caught filming the Jets' defensive signals by league officials last September at halftime of a game against New York -- the violation that birthed "Spygate" and led, in part, to some of the heftiest penalties in league history. New England coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 -- the biggest fine ever for a coach -- and the team was docked its first-round draft choice this year. And now, Walsh, 31, an assistant golf pro on Maui, might be positioned to further pull back the curtain on the Patriots' taping history, expose where and how they gained advantages and, perhaps even, turn over video proof.

    If Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., the top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, is serious about calling a hearing to delve into the issue -- particularly the questions of why the NFL hastily destroyed all evidence, including tapes handed over by the Patriots, and what other as-yet-undisclosed material might be out there -- perhaps one of his first calls should be to Walsh, who in conversations with ESPN.com suggested he has information that could be damaging to both the league and the Patriots. In a New York Times story on Friday and again at a news conference later in the day, Specter expressed frustration with a lack of response from the NFL to his Nov. 15 letter inquiring about the league's investigation. He said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell would eventually be called before the committee to address, among other things, the destruction of the tapes.

    NFL officials and Patriots employees possibly could be brought before the committee to testify. Walsh told ESPN.com that, in the wake of the cheating scandal that broke early in the season, he has never been contacted by NFL officials to inquire about his insight into the Patriots' illegal taping practices, which he says date back to his time with the franchise. Nor, he said, has there been any communication with the Patriots.

    [+] Enlarge
    Mike Fish, ESPN.com
    Matt Walsh might hold the key to 'Spygate,' but isn't unlocking any doors.


    "If they're doing a thorough investigation -- they didn't contact me," Walsh told ESPN.com. "So draw your own conclusions. Maybe they felt they didn't need to. Maybe the league feels they got satisfactory answers from everything the Patriots sent them." Goodell said at his annual address to the media at the Super Bowl on Friday that the tapes turned over by the Patriots date back only to 2006, well after Walsh had left the organization. Does Walsh know anything that might be of interest to that inquiry? He won't say, but he hasn't dodged the suggestion that he does. On a number of occasions in interviews with ESPN and ESPN.com in recent weeks, he has hinted about evidence and information he might be able to provide.

    "No, the league has never called me," he said. "Neither have the Patriots. And really, I would be surprised if they did. Then all of a sudden -- I don't know how much the league or Patriots know about my stance or how I feel about things -- for them to put in a call to me, what are they going to say? Are they going to try and threaten me? Or say, don't talk about it? Then, they are putting themselves out there and looking bad as far as if I turn around and say, 'Hey, guess what, the league called me and said [we're] gonna take away your pension if you say anything about this.'"

    Later, Walsh said his reference to a pension meant his 401k retirement plan. Walsh suggested he could have blown the whistle long ago, if he'd been so inclined. "If I had a reason to want to go public or tell a story, I could have done it before this even broke," he said.

    "I could have said everything rather than having [Eric] Mangini be the one to bring it out." It is widely assumed that Mangini, the Jets head coach and former Patriots assistant under Belichick, was responsible for exposing the Patriots' spying tactics earlier this season. Several members of New England's staff came to the Jets with Mangini when he took the head job in New York, including assistant coaches Brian Daboll and Jay Mandoleso and video director Steve Scarnecchia, a former Patriot video assistant. The Jets' staff, under orders from team management, refused comment for this story. "Obviously, Mangini knew what was going on and it had been going on for a while," Walsh said.

    "They tried to catch them doing it last year and weren't able to. So they were just waiting for them to throw the camera up this year on the sideline. But afterwards, I get the impression the league said to them, 'Hey, kind of back down from this; let us take care of it,' because Mangini probably could have come out and said more, made more of a deal out of it if he wanted to." Walsh said that when he worked with the Patriots, a very limited number of people within the organization were privy to details about the team's video practices, notably video director Jimmy Dee and Ernie Adams, Belichick's prep school friend and right-hand man. Walsh said that during his tenure in New England, no taping was done without Dee's knowledge. As for the prospect of Adams sharing insight into the suspicious practices, Walsh said: "You've got a better chance of him telling you who killed JFK than anything about New England. There are lots of stories there. He told me stories of things they used to do in Cleveland [where Adams assisted Belichick with the Browns]." [+] Enlarge

    Mike Fish, ESPN.com
    Walsh says he could have broken a story about spying by the Patriots before the Jets' Eric Mangini did.


    Asked Friday at his Super Bowl news conference about the New York Times story that indicated Specter's interest and identified Walsh as a person who might have inside knowledge about the Patriots' operations, Belichick said, "It's a league matter. I don't know anything about it." Despite suggestions that he could be a player in expanding the Spygate probe, Walsh repeatedly has refused to provide ESPN.com with any evidence of wrongdoing by the Patriots. He also has refused to confirm that he has tapes in his possession. Walsh said he is fearful of possible legal action against him by either the league or Patriots if he details what he knows. He refused to provide evidence of potential wrongdoing unless ESPN agreed to pay his legal fees related to his involvement in the story, as well as an indemnification agreement that would cover any damages found against him in court. ESPN denied his requests. On Friday, Walsh told ESPN he is uncertain whether he would voluntarily meet with a Senate committee, if asked. Previously, however, he expressed a willingness to tell league officials what he knows if they should call.

    "I wouldn't lie to them about anything, and especially because I don't know what they have," Walsh said. "I don't know what evidence they have. So there is no reason for me to lie to anybody, anyways. It is one thing for me to say, 'Hey, look, just not gonna talk about it.' It is not like a felony or crime or something where I got to go on a stand in court and swear on a Bible or something. It is the kind of thing where for me, personally, it could potentially do more harm to talk about it than not talk about it. "But if the league contacted me and said, 'Did you do this? Did you do that? …' Maybe they have evidence I did, so I am not going to say, 'No, I didn't.'"


    Like others trying to break into the NFL, Walsh came to the Patriots fresh out of college with little experience and a world of ambition. He graduated from Springfield College, class of 1998, with a degree in sports management. He didn't play college football; and though he claims to have spent parts of two seasons on the golf team, the college's sports information office has no record of him in its files. He began his time with the NFL by working on the Patriots' game-day press box staff during his college years.

    Those connections led Walsh to an internship in the franchise's public relations department during the first semester of his senior year at Springfield. In an effort to get ahead with the team, Walsh told ESPN.com, he offered to help out in the scouting department, which was then headed by Bobby Grier, after his day shift in PR ended. Walsh found himself without a full-time job after graduation. He was working as a lifeguard on Cape Cod when the Patriots called just days before the start of camp and offered him a job as a video assistant, even though he had no expertise or training in that area. In the winter of 2002-03, Walsh said he was fired by Patriots vice president for player personnel Scott Pioli, and then spent a year on the video staff of the Cologne Centurions in now-defunct NFL Europe.

    Walsh says he was frustrated with the monotony of the scouting job in New England -- he focused on the few football-playing colleges in western New York -- and that may have been a factor in his dismissal. He suggested it likely got back to the Patriots that he had made overtures about video jobs with other teams. He eventually landed a series of assistant golf pro jobs at private clubs in New England and Arizona. He can be found these days on the staff at the Ka'anapali Golf Resort in Lahaina, Hawaii, a 36-hole layout that caters to tourists visiting the high-end hotels and resort condos that line the long stretch of beach overlooking the Pacific Ocean. As he spoke with ESPN.com on a recent morning, he strode around the course confidently, talking up guests between an occasional golf lesson.

    Walsh described himself as a guy who makes friends easily, and who is adroit at working deals. When he worked video for the Patriots, he said, he often finagled a round of golf at top course in exchange for game tickets. After he left the Patriots, he hooked up with a high school friend who worked security for his favorite group, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and followed the band on tour over 27 stops, sharing drink and food backstage with band members by night, and playing golf by day. His air of confidence, though, came and went as he chatted about whether he wants to involve himself in Spygate. He has a young wife who is a physical therapist, and an 8-month-old son. He has family back in New England who, he said, could be in harm's way if he damages the Patriots with any information he might disclose. Even in Hawaii, he remains a New England season-ticket holder. And he said he worries about how he might be perceived by future employers if he blows the whistle on the Patriots. And he wondered aloud what might be in it for him if he does. He said he fears the potential wrath of the Patriots, and their ability to tie him in up in court for an extended period of time.


    Although he stopped short of saying he has actual video evidence, he suggested he does; and so raised the possibility that it might be viewed as stolen property. He mentioned a confidentiality agreement he signed with the club, though he's not sure how that might factor into what he has to say. "So whether that still covers me talking about things that we did when I was there or not, I'm not completely sure," Walsh said. "But if it doesn't -- if the worst they do is get pissed off that I am coming out talking to national media about all these things that I know that they have done and what not, and they just decide to pull my season tickets -- well, OK. At the end of the day, what did I get out of it? I lost my season tickets." At one point, when the discussion turned to potential evidence, he said, "I'd use it if they came after me. The last thing I need is for people to make a case against me." During an afternoon tour of the golf course where he works, Walsh stopped and pointed out Black Rock, a cliff where a nightly ritual features a lone figure lifting a torch to salute the sky before plunging into the dark waters, home to the occasional small shark. He used that scene as an analogy to the risk he'd face coming forward with his story.

    "That guy is taking a chance jumping into shark-infested waters," Walsh said, motioning toward the cliff. "There'd be nothing to come out of it for me. Be a helluva risk." He said he does not feel an ethical urge to do what some might perceive as the right thing, to help set the record straight -- either by exposing the Patriots or by depicting them as simply doing what every other team does. "I'll be honest with you: I can't really be guilted into anything," he said. "Maybe after this whole thing, you don't think I have a conscience because of the people I was exposed to and what they had me doing. "Really, I just [have] no incentive to really talk to anybody, no reason to do it. For me, personally, I haven't really been able to see the gain in doing it."

    But now the Senate Judiciary Committee knows about him. And perhaps the incentive will come in the form of a subpoena from Specter's committee. Mike Fish is an investigative reporter for ESPN.com. He can be reached at michaeljfish@gmail.com. Ben Houser, a feature producer for ESPN's "Outside the Lines," and ESPN.com's Gregg Easterbrook also contributed to this report.

  5. #5
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Thanks, MS

    What about what Hines Ward said earlier this year. He said he felt that Patriots knew their signals in the 2001-02 AFC championship game. There's just too much out there for there not to be something to this.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20748384/

  6. #6
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,572

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    The Patriots didn't have to do it, so no big deal.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  7. #7
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,368

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Ruh-roh.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  8. #8
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    I'm not sure about anything one way or the other, but it's not looking very good for the Pats.

    The biggest thing that sticks in my mind is that the taping/spying story broke at the start of this season. You know, the season that is UNPRECEDENTED for the Patriots. Undefeated, most TD's thrown, most TD's caught, most points scored, most, most, most.....

    It just seems awfully easy to connect the never-happened-before caught in the act and the never-happened-before absolute dominance over an entire schedule.

    Part of me wants to be able to admire such greatness, but not if it came illicitly. The other part of me wants the franchise to burn to the ground.



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  9. #9
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,572

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure about anything one way or the other, but it's not looking very good for the Pats.

    The biggest thing that sticks in my mind is that the taping/spying story broke at the start of this season. You know, the season that is UNPRECEDENTED for the Patriots. Undefeated, most TD's thrown, most TD's caught, most points scored, most, most, most.....

    It just seems awfully easy to connect the never-happened-before caught in the act and the never-happened-before absolute dominance over an entire schedule.

    Part of me wants to be able to admire such greatness, but not if it came illicitly. The other part of me wants the franchise to burn to the ground.
    Why is that? Yeah, more people may not like them, but many didn't before. It isn't like they could get into trouble for this.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  10. #10
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is that? Yeah, more people may not like them, but many didn't before. It isn't like they could get into trouble for this.
    Yeah, and nobody can do anything to Barry Bonds for taking steroids....

    Don't underestimate what can happen in the future. It all depends on what comes out and can be proven. Any time Congress gets involved, ANYTHING is possible.



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  11. #11
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,572

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, and nobody can do anything to Barry Bonds for taking steroids....

    Don't underestimate what can happen in the future. It all depends on what comes out and can be proven. Any time Congress gets involved, ANYTHING is possible.
    Yeah, but I seriously doubt Congress gets involved......
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  12. #12
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but I seriously doubt Congress gets involved......
    From an article quoted in a previous post in this very thread:

    If Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., the top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, is serious about calling a hearing to delve into the issue -- particularly the questions of why the NFL hastily destroyed all evidence, including tapes handed over by the Patriots, and what other as-yet-undisclosed material might be out there -- perhaps one of his first calls should be to Walsh, who in conversations with ESPN.com suggested he has information that could be damaging to both the league and the Patriots. In a New York Times story on Friday and again at a news conference later in the day, Specter expressed frustration with a lack of response from the NFL to his Nov. 15 letter inquiring about the league's investigation. He said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell would eventually be called before the committee to address, among other things, the destruction of the tapes.



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  13. #13
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,572

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From an article quoted in a previous post in this very thread:

    If Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., the top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, is serious about calling a hearing to delve into the issue -- particularly the questions of why the NFL hastily destroyed all evidence, including tapes handed over by the Patriots, and what other as-yet-undisclosed material might be out there -- perhaps one of his first calls should be to Walsh, who in conversations with ESPN.com suggested he has information that could be damaging to both the league and the Patriots. In a New York Times story on Friday and again at a news conference later in the day, Specter expressed frustration with a lack of response from the NFL to his Nov. 15 letter inquiring about the league's investigation. He said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell would eventually be called before the committee to address, among other things, the destruction of the tapes.
    Well I only read the first article, so there is my problem.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  14. #14
    Member McClintic Sphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    I would say that if they had an employee sneak into the Ram's final SB practice and videotape the entire thing, in a game they won by 3 points, they definitely deserve a whole bunch of asterisks.**************************************** ****

  15. #15
    Member BoomBaby31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
    Posts
    1,958

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goodell might as well be a member of the Patriot's PR department.

    You just know 99% of these players past their prime that "rejuventated themselves" with the Patsies, are mainlining the HGH as well.
    Seau hasn't missed a practice all year! That's like the first time in 10 years. He's one of my favs and not accusing him of anything but........

  16. #16
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would say that if they had an employee sneak into the Ram's final SB practice and videotape the entire thing, in a game they won by 3 points, they definitely deserve a whole bunch of asterisks.**************************************** ****
    Agreed, and if this is indeed true(i'm not jumping to judgements just yet), then one is either a Pats fan or is just plain nieve if they think this was isolated to SB 36 and the incident this year. This is looking like it might have been a trend for the Pats for the past 7 seasons.

  17. #17
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goodell might as well be a member of the Patriot's PR department.
    Pretty much. It's pretty pathetic.

    We might have only one SB victory (compared to the Pats' 3-maybe-4), but it feels nice to know we'll never see sentences like this attached to our win: "'There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories,' he said."

    Pats fan can say what they want, but IMO your team loses the benefit of a doubt once they get caught cheating. The Pats are great, but they likely weren't playing by the rules for a lot of that greatness.

    Kind of sucks, because 19-0 is going to be a really historic thing years from now, something it'd be neat to look back on and be all nostalgic about. But I just can't bring myself to like these Pats.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  18. #18
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,877

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    If you taped the Rams' practice and then used it to prepare for them in the SB all those years ago, why would you KEEP the tapes all these years? Why would you even keep them past the kickoff of the game?

    And if you did keep them, would you keep them with all your other gametapes or would the HC take them home or to a private warehouse?

    If I was the NFL I couldn't be satisfied the matter was closed just because the Pats didn't turn those tapes over....

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  19. #19
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you taped the Rams' practice and then used it to prepare for them in the SB all those years ago, why would you KEEP the tapes all these years? Why would you even keep them past the kickoff of the game?

    And if you did keep them, would you keep them with all your other gametapes or would the HC take them home or to a private warehouse?

    If I was the NFL I couldn't be satisfied the matter was closed just because the Pats didn't turn those tapes over....


    -Bball
    That is what bothered me from the start of all this. I realize there is certainly information that we, the public, do not know about this subject. Taking that into account, I can't come up with a scenario where the NFL would behave the way it did. It would be like the police serving a warrant for theft to someone at their home. The person answers the door, the police state their business and ask if the thief has any stolen property. He says, "Yes, just this hammer and this five dollar bill." The police take his word for it, don't search the house, don't investigate any further, don't talk to any of his friends/family, destroy the hammer and money, and fine him $100 and let him go on his way.

    It just doesn't happen like that. Probable cause would allow them to search every inch of his person, his home, his car, any other property he had. They would interview his family and friends/known accomplices and ask about his behavior; has he had extra cash, does he have a lot of expensive stuff that nobody knows where it came from, etc. etc. etc.....I further realize that the "investigation" of the Patriots by the NFL was not a criminal case and the rules are certainly different, but the basic investigatory procedures would be (or should be) very similar. Maybe they don't have the power or right to search the private property of the Patriots? Maybe they don't have the ability to do anything other than ask if they cheated any further, and all they can do is accept the answer given?

    You just don't take the word of a known cheater/liar and then destroy the evidence you DO recover. I also say the scope of your investigation couldn't possibly be so narrow that you don't at least consider the possibility of a wider pattern of dishonesty. There are plenty of other forms of cheating that could be done aside from videotaping defensive signals.

    I don't want to start a posse looking to convict and sentence the Patriots without due process, but this whole situation stinks to high heaven of impropriety.



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  20. #20
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,078

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    I'm surprised that neither Moses nor pacertom have chimed in on this yet.

    Anyway, I'll just drop a big, fat "I TOLD YOU SO" and be on my merry way.

  21. #21
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm surprised that neither Moses nor pacertom have chimed in on this yet.

    Anyway, I'll just drop a big, fat "I TOLD YOU SO" and be on my merry way.
    I've chosen not to chime in yet because I'll wait for more of the facts to come out. I do think the NFL mishandled post-spygate by destroying the tapes. If it turns out the Patriots did tape the Rams, I would be extremely disappointed because that was really when I started watching quite a bit of Pats football. Still, just because something is written does not make it true. The Boston Herald is hardly a valid source and I will take the NFL's word over the Boston Herald and an ex-employee any day of the week.

    That's about all I've got to say about it. It's pretty clear that many, but not all, of you desperately want this to be true.
    Last edited by Moses; 02-03-2008 at 10:53 AM.

  22. #22
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,078

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've chosen not to chime in yet because I'll wait for more of the facts to come out. I do think the NFL mishandled post-spygate by destroying the tapes. If it turns out the Patriots did tape the Rams, I would be extremely disappointed because that was really when I started watching quite a bit of Pats football. Still, just because something is written does not make it true. The Boston Herald is hardly a valid source and I will take the NFL's word over the Boston Herald and an ex-employee any day of the week.

    That's about all I've got to say about it. It's pretty clear that many, but not all, of you desperately want this to be true.
    I'm not going to believe a single word of what the NFL says because they're the ones who have the most to lose by this getting out. I suggested as much when Spygate broke earlier this year.

    I completely understand wanting to wait for more info, and who knows, this may turn out to be untrue. But it looks really, really bad for the Pats and the NFL right now. Turns out that rather than being a genius, Belichick may have just been a career super-cheater. Couldn't happen to a bigger jerk.

  23. #23
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's about all I've got to say about it. It's pretty clear that many, but not all, of you desperately want this to be true.

    I'm half there and half not. If the Patriots and Belichick were more likeable, people wouldn't want to see them fall hard so badly.

    When they constantly say they don't care what anyone thinks of them and constantly act like an a$$, the result of that is that people will want to see them fail rather than root for them. They just aren't very likeable to a lot of people and that is sad. If none of the cheating business is true, the kind of excellence they have achieved should be able to be celebrated without abrasive personalities getting in the way. That's why half of me wants it to be true.

    I can understand how you feel, and I have no problem with ANY of the Patriot fans who post here. You guys are nice guys, and we share a common bond with the NBA at least . I've tried to think of how I would feel if it were the Colts in this situation, and the best that I can come up with is that I would feel like throwing up. My beloved team finally reaches the pinnacle of their sport and then whispers of impropriety start coming out to question the accomplishments. I feel for you. That's why half of me doesn't want it to be true.



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  24. #24
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,393

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    In reality, who the hell cares?

    Dungy for the most part has traditionally had us unprepared for the playoffs, and we've gotten beat by the better team (whether it be NE or Pittsburgh, or San Diego).

    I am a huge Colts fan, but I have trouble believing a business that is looking to make headlines and a cranky ex-employee over the NFL.

    I doubt any of this was longreaching enough to cost the Colts a championship, mainly because of our traditional performances against teams not named New England in December and January.

    So whatever. I know I'll get panned for this and I'll let ya'll have the last word.

  25. #25
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Report says Patriots taped St. Louis before SB 36

    Yeah, who cares if a team potentially cheated their way to a Super Bowl victory. Certainly not the St. Loius Rams. Who cares.

Similar Threads

  1. Patriots v Giants to be on NBC, CBS, and NFL Network
    By SycamoreKen in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 08:27 AM
  2. Mitchell Report
    By JayRedd in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 10:45 PM
  3. Walsh refutes Knicks report
    By Shade in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 12:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •