Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: utah has target jeff foster for a potenial trade

Default utah has target jeff foster for a potenial trade

looking for a big man who can rebound and gaurd something its own mehmet okur is not always inclined to do http://www.hoopshype.com/

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Mitch Lawrence---Utah wants Foster?

Sorry...someone beat me to the punch as I was writing this...so, how to delete a thread????????????????
    Last edited by indygeezer; 02-03-2008 at 09:30 AM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: utah has target jeff foster for a potenial trade

So what's Foster worth? Just curious b/c my tendency could be to overvalue him. What type of draft pick might he command? Late 1st?

Could we get late 1st or early 2nd plus a player? Brewer or Milsap? Combo of players? Really don't know why Utah would want to give up either of the ones I mentioned-but that's who I'd want personally. Don't really like any of their guys (who they'd consider moving) that are closer to Jeff's salary.

Next ?, any other from our roster they might want to include? Dun seems like a Sloan kind of player. Looks like they could use a backup for Williams, but Tins definitely does not seem like a Sloan kind of guy. Let along an anybody kind of guy.

At least it's fun to think about.

Mood

Well some of the folks around here would have you believe Foster is worth no less than Deron Williams and a high 1st. JO on the other hand they'd trade for a sack of potatoes.

Banned

Paul Millsap - A promising sophomore PF. He turns 23 in a month. Good rebounder and not bad offensive skills. I'm not sure about his defense. He doesn't appear to be much of a shot blocker. He's even smaller than Ike, and not quite as productive overall. I'd pass.

C.J. Miles - SG who came straight out of high school a couple of seasons ago. Just 20 (turns 21 next month). Doesn't play a ton (11.8 mpg) but appears to be a lights-out shooter. .485 from the field, .426(!!!) from downtown, .805 from the line. Really good, efficient scoring for his limited minutes. Great size, too (6'6" 220 lb.). Looks very promising, much more so than Millsap in my opinion. I'd love to land him.

Kyrylo Fesenko - Overgrown (7'1" 288 lb) 21 year old Ukrainian. He's barely played, as he's spending a lot of time in the NBDL, but he appears to be a good rebounder and shot blocker. He, Stanko, and Ezarem could give us one Hell of a front line in a few seasons. Just kidding.

Morris Almond - Rookie out of Rice. I believe this is the guy Bird wanted prior to last years draft. He's averaging 26.8 points per game in the NBDL. He scored 51 in December, then set a new NBDL record with 53 just last week. His shooting percentages aren't that hot, though. He could be a chucker. I like Miles more.

The Jazz also have a future Knicks 1st, top-23 protected this year, top-22 protected next year, and unprotected in 2010.

My order of preference would be.....

1. Knicks 1st (highly unlikely)
    2. C.J. Miles
    3. Morris Almond
    4. Paul Millsap
    Last edited by Kofi; 02-03-2008 at 09:58 AM.

I would take Miles or Almond and Utahs 1st this year. Foster is 30 now so not too many good years left. I doubt they would give up Miles.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Utah has both of it's picks available this year, Plus they have a first round pick from the Knicks. That pick is top 23 protected this year, top 22 protected in 2009, and unprotected in 2010.

Donnie Walsh says what good teams do is try to trade players they are not using for one of your good players. This is probably what Utah will do.

Jeff makes $5.5m. I just looked at Utah's salaries. The closest match's are Williams, Kover, and SF Matt Harping. They're not going to trade us Williams, they can't trade us Kover whom they just got, so the closest match would be Harping ($6m) who we don't need. So any trade with Utah would probably have to be a muti-player trade.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 02-03-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Understand not wanting Milsap more but I would disagree with the Ike comparison. Milsap is already better and strengths include rebounding and defense. What we really need that Ike doesn't give. Ike plays his size, Milsap plays bigger than his.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul Millsap - A promising sophomore PF. He turns 23 in a month. Good rebounder and not bad offensive skills. I'm not sure about his defense. He doesn't appear to be much of a shot blocker. He's even smaller than Ike, and not quite as productive overall. I'd pass.

C.J. Miles - SG who came straight out of high school a couple of seasons ago. Just 20 (turns 21 next month). Doesn't play a ton (11.8 mpg) but appears to be a lights-out shooter. .485 from the field, .426(!!!) from downtown, .805 from the line. Really good, efficient scoring for his limited minutes. Great size, too (6'6" 220 lb.). Looks very promising, much more so than Millsap in my opinion. I'd love to land him.

Kyrylo Fesenko - Overgrown (7'1" 288 lb) 21 year old Ukrainian. He's barely played, as he's spending a lot of time in the NBDL, but he appears to be a good rebounder and shot blocker. He, Stanko, and Ezarem could give us one Hell of a front line in a few seasons. Just kidding.

Morris Almond - Rookie out of Rice. I believe this is the guy Bird wanted prior to last years draft. He's averaging 26.8 points per game in the NBDL. He scored 51 in December, then set a new NBDL record with 53 just last week. His shooting percentages aren't that hot, though. He could be a chucker. I like Miles more.

The Jazz also have a future Knicks 1st, top-23 protected this year, top-22 protected next year, and unprotected in 2010.

My order of preference would be.....

1. Knicks 1st (highly unlikely)
    2. C.J. Miles
    3. Morris Almond
    4. Paul Millsap
    All 4 of these guys salaries don't add up to enough to trade for Jeff. Plus, what are we going to do for a center? JO could be out for the year. That would leave us with Troy and Harrison and Fesenko manning the center spot. HAHA!

This is probably a rumor made up to fill copy.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 02-03-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    All 4 of these guys salaries don't add up to enough to trade for Jeff. Plus, what are we going to do for a center? JO could be out for the year. That would leave us with Troy and Harrison and Fesenko manning the center spot. HAHA!

This is probably a rumor made up to fill copy.
    I wasn't saying trade Jeff for all four. I was looking over the Jazz roster and seeing some realistic targets for the Pacers. The Jazz have center Jarron Collins signed to a short, medium sized contract. He can be the necessary salary filler in any potential deal. And if he's not quite enough, you could also do an Andre Owens/Jason Hart swap.

Personally, I'd be very interested in something along the lines of Foster, Owens, and Graham for Miles (or Almond), Collins, Hart, and maybe the Jazz 2nd this year. It works on the trade checker and would give us a very promising young SG.

I am thinking somehow the Jazz would like to move Okur in the deal. So there it would have to be multiple players. Okur makes 9m....I was looking at some ideas.

Outgoing Players: Mehmet Okur, Morris Almond, Jason Hart

Outgoing Players: Marquis Daniels, Jeff Foster, Andre Owens

Somehow if we could get a first thrown in. Harts contract is up at the end of the year, and the Pacers would still be on the hook of Foster nad Daniels for for 2 years, so no difference having Okur for 2 years. Almond could be that play maker we have been looking for. He has shown he can score in the Dleague, and it is known Bird liked him in the draft. Who knows.

I will say I have appreciated Foster for being such a stand up guy. He has always gave 110% as a Pacer. He is one of the VERY FEW that didnt the Pacers a black eye in the brawl. I hate to see him go, but I do its a business and he is our best chance of getting talent to rebuild.

Miles is a FA next year. He makes 1M. I wouldn't want Okur, he is a Murphy clone but just slightly better. IMHO: Almond would be the guy along with the Jazz late 1st rnd pick.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"

I don't want Okur at all.

I wonder if we couldn't some how turn this into a deal for Kirilenko. I think he'd be the perfect 4 in O'Brien's system.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Does anyone know how much a late first rnd pick counts toward a trade? What is the value of any 1st rnd pick included in a trade?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    Does anyone know how much a late first rnd pick counts toward a trade? What is the value of any 1st rnd pick included in a trade?
    $0

Banned

I, too, want no part in Memo. A soft, jump shooting big man with a large contract? That sounds vaguely familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    Miles is a FA next year. He makes 1M. I wouldn't want Okur, he is a Murphy clone but just slightly better. IMHO: Almond would be the guy along with the Jazz late 1st rnd pick.
    Yeah, I saw that Miles was a free agent next year but we'd have our MLE to resign him. Not all of it, obviously, but how ever much it took. In the $2M-4M range I'd assume. Of course you could say why not just attempt to sign him outright in the offseason, but you'd have to think it'd be more likely he'd resign with us than outright sign with us in the offseason. Personally, I'd do a deal revolving around Almond, but I do prefer C.J. Miles.
    Last edited by Kofi; 02-03-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I don't want Okur at all.

I wonder if we couldn't some how turn this into a deal for Kirilenko. I think he'd be the perfect 4 in O'Brien's system.
    I doubt that. He weighs less than Dun, Granger, and Williams.

Banned

I don't believe Utah can move their 2008 1st since they've already (potentially) moved their 2009 1st in the Kyle Korver deal about a month ago.

Banned

There's also Ronnie Brewer, the 14th pick in the 2006 draft, but I highly doubt Utah would move him in any deal for Foster unless Dunleavy or Granger were coming with him.

Not to brag (well, maybe a little), but I forecasted this move a few days ago in the trade proposal forum. I'd give you a link but I don't know how.....maybe someone else can help.

The trade I put out for discussion isn't perfect or without risk for either team, which is why I thought it made sense as a realistic deal, and it also met every rule of the collective bargaining agreement and salary cap.

I think late first round picks are more valuable than most of you do, so I'd definitely want 1 or more multiple picks, plus I'd like to have Almond and Brewer. I'd be willing to take Okur in a trade back if they would be willing to take Dunleavy's long term contract off our hands.

My deal was a 7 player trade, although for some reason I said 5 player swap in the title to the thread:

Pacers trade Jeff Foster, Mike Dunleavy, David Harrison to Utah
    Utah trades Ronnie Brewer, Mehmet Okur, Morris Almond, Ronnie Price, Utah's first round pick in either 2008 or 2009.

I'd guess this is something close to what is being discussed. It saves us money this season and in the future. It gives us a really good young top notch potential wing defender in Brewer, who is a better winning combination playing alongside Danny Granger. It gives a "sniper" off the bench in Almond, who potentially is a great shooter and fit in this system. Price is a young prospect in the backcourt who is cheap, and in my view better than Deiner and Owens are. Okur is a perimeter playing big man, who is slightly better but similar to Murphy, which is the deals big downside.

This deal would start the rebuilding effort we so urgently need in my view, and give us some additional flexibility to continue the process.

I'll say it now.

Get PAUL MILLSAP

Whatever it takes.

Don't really see to much on the Jazz for Foster.

Miles and Morris seem decent but we already have enough swingmen. I don't think either will be better than Kareem.

Millsap would be alright. He is a free agent soon though. Not exactly sure how the Jazz match Foster's salary. Maybe Millsap, Collins, and cash.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Utah has already given us the greatest value they could have for Jeff. They have potentially started the bidding. Other teams (are ya listening SA) will note that Foster's name is up for grabs and jump in with their own deals. That could only be good for us. Assuming the Bball gods That Reside Within Mt. Conseco are willing to part with Jeff.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Utah has already given us the greatest value they could have for Jeff. They have potentially started the bidding. Other teams (are ya listening SA) will note that Foster's name is up for grabs and jump in with their own deals. That could only be good for us. Assuming the Bball gods That Reside Within Mt. Conseco are willing to part with Jeff.
    That's a very interesting point.

I would think that all of the top teams out West would like to get Jeff. Utah, San Antonio, Phoenix, even Dallas and LA depending on when Bynum does really return.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'll say it now.

Get PAUL MILLSAP

Whatever it takes.
    YES.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs