Thread: Reggie: What to Do?

Default Reggie: What to Do?

Two years ago in the playoffs, Reggie was putting up 40 point games against Philly as the young guys stood around and we were flushed from the playoffs in the first round. Last season, he struggled and we blamed it on his foot injury that demanded surgery the off season. This year? I dunno. I"ve had friends tell me that they believe Reggie deliberately has deferred to other people, that he realized from the Philly series that he himself could not carry the team anymore and that when he we lighting it up, everyone else stood around.

I sort of buy into that. But in this playoff series, his performance was pretty disappointing to me. It's clear that Reggie brings some good things to the team, particularly outside shooting which they lack. But he also brings a lot of baggage. The fact is that Reggie's specter hangs over this team like a shadow. Seeing Jermaine put Reggies name on his shoe is touching in one way, but in another is sad.

I know many of you know me as a long time Reggie champion. I've been one of his most steadfast supporters. But I believe it's time to cut the cord. That doesn't mean benching Reggie. It means retiring Reggie. It means Bird taking him out to lunch over the summer and telling him it's over. I really don't think this team has what it takes to win the title, but I also think that if we're going to win it, we have to rely on JO and Artest, and with Reggie still out there the waters are muddied in terms of leadership. There's a time for verteran calm and there's a time for the hot blood of youth. Right now I think we need more of the latter. I think it's time for Reg to step aside for the good of the team and leave it to the next generation.

If Reggie won't do it and insists, we can still use him off the bench next year. Whatever it takes, I wouldn't trade him or send him elsewhere. He literally is our franchise player. He mean more to the Pacer organization that anyone ever has and we owe him. In this case though, I'm hoping he sees what he owe us and for the good of the organization quietly steps aside.

Steveman

Default Re: Reggie: What to Do?

Yeah, but like, who is going to replace him in the starting lineup?

I think it's time to let Fred Jones give it a try.

jadler

Default Reggie

Reggie is like having a coach on the floor. However, his time as a starter has passed. In my mind, the best option for Reggie, if he still wants to play, would be to become a Steve Kerr type role player for the Pacers. I know its hard to imagine Reggie being a role player and maybe Steve Kerr is a bad example, but I think he could be a deadly weapon for the Pacers once again in that role. This team is missing key role players off the bench. The starting SG would either be Jones or Bender based on whoever improves the most. OR the Pacers could go out and sign Ginobili who I believe is a Free Agent (If SA goes after Kobe). Where does this leave Al? Well, I think Al is a good guy off the bench. He has not convinced me that he deserves to start. I think Jones is on his way to being a great player, and we all know that that Bender is the reigning NBA Practice Squad MVP. If one of them puts it together, we have it. Also, I think many are forgetting how much Ron Artest has improved this past year. The man has become a force on both sides of the court. I remember that New Jersey series a couple years back where I was afraid to watch the guy even dribble. He is a workaholic. No one will be hurt more by this loss than Ron Artest. He will be driven even further this summer. My prediction for Ron is 2nd Team All-NBA next year. I think he takes his entire game up another notch. I could be wrong, but I really think he is going to be even stronger next year. Don't trade this man. He is a warrior and plays with heart and soul with a passion to win every game. That can't be said about most players in the NBA.

6th or 7th man. Come in like Fisher or others who spread the floor and drop 3's.

No more starting. I wish we would've kept Chuck Person way back when and made him our 6th man. I believe he even offered to do it.

Water

jadler

Default Bingo

Bingo

Steveman

As much as I like Fred (he has tremendous heart) I don't think he'll ever be much more than a very solid backup ... we need a starter, and now ... we're that close.

I won't say his name but his initials are TMac...
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Funny Part is the past several days I got picked appart by the chicken hawks for saying miller time was over.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Funny Part is the past several days I got picked appart by the chicken hawks for saying miller time was over.
    facing elimination, game 6 on the road, who the heck wasn't hoping for a reggie miracle? i sure was.

i wonder though whether reggie thinks his time has passed. i think he does, and that he will retire rather than be a role player.

Ya know whats even funnier than that....

I got called a hater everytime I've said it for the last 4 years....

I don't care if he did put up big numbers against Philly. We still lost that series. He was done before that.

We should have been seriously working with fresh blood at sg back then and maybe we wouldn't be talking about Miller Time being over today while lamenting another ECF loss.

Mood

Well I really do think Reggie was done 2 years ago in my mind and like I have always said when people keep saying It's Miller Time . Miller Time never got us no rings or chamiopnships , it brought us alot of great moments and that's about it and you can only live on memories so long.

I am not trying to hate on reggie because he really had a hand in putting the pacers on the map as far as a NBA team but memories can only take a team so far, I really think he needs to retire.

Unless the Pacers management can have the balls to step up and say Reggie this is how it's gonna be. I dunno if Reggie could handle not being a starter , but I don't see why he couldn't I think he would be great off the bench and he could still get his ring if we make a few moves this offseason.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I've been saying that I thought Reggie would quietly retire this summer. But last night he didn't have the look of a man contemplating his demise. I may have been wrong about him. He may want it so bad he has himself convinced he can still do it. In that case, it is Bird's job to convince him otherwise. To convince him to either retire or face a reduced role. That means sitting on the bench and possible...DNP-CDs.

The off-season has begun...* the finals bring on the expansion draft. Let's get started re-building this sucker.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

I don't think we need a rebuild , we need a few key pieces ..rebuilding is cleaning out the team and I don't see that happening.

Mood

I meant rebuild the season. But..we need a SG another bu PG and a C. Let's get busy. So many needs...too many days until camp starts.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

I don't know if we Require a Center but it would be nice , but finding a good big man for the right price will be hard and there is such a high demand for a good center it's pathetic. I think if Foster can Improve his Defense and Work on his 12-15 ft Jumper he would be a huge assest , SG and Backup PG I agree .

Mood

Yeah the 5 position may nt be the most pressing. But more "meaness" up front would be nice.

Mood

Yeah the 5 position may nt be the most pressing. But more "meaness" up front would be nice.
    Would be nice but we need to Dump Pollard somehow if were not going to use him too much pay for so little work.