Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tanking

Default Tanking

I heard somewhere, please don't ask for a link, that the thought is Miami is now tanking the season. This has got to be it for Shaq. But at the All-Star break!?! The race for the lottery will be interesting.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tanking

I'm calling it now; Miami will end their losing streak against us.

Banned

I don't think they're tanking on purpose, they're just not a very good team. Too many injuries, too many has beens.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think they're tanking on purpose, they're just not a very good team. Too many injuries, too many has beens.
    And one championship.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    And one championship.
    I would've loved to have seen what a team built on Wade, Butler, and Odom could've done. Considering that championship was 90% Wade, and how good Butler has become, I have no doubt they'd be an elite team contending for a title for the next decade.

Hey, if I was them, I'd be looking forward to adding a Beasley at SF or
    a Rose at PG to pair with Wade in the backcourt too. At this point,
    as much as they suck, winning accomplishes little for them.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    I heard somewhere, please don't ask for a link, that the thought is Miami is now tanking the season. This has got to be it for Shaq. But at the All-Star break!?! The race for the lottery will be interesting.
    They've been in the games. They just struggle down the stretch.

They were giving SA all they could tonight and had a lead at half-time. Blount had 15 pts at the break.

They've got Chris Quinn playing for them. It's not a sign that they're tanking... just that desperate for talent and decimated by the trade fro Ricky Davis, which didn't help talent-wise, and injuries (Shaq and Zo and Wade coming off surgery).

naw they arent tanking...they still believe they can make the playoffs...and I am 100% sure they stop the losing streak vs us. I'd bet w/e money i had on the heat. NO WAY do we beat them...
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

I don't know about Miami, but it is sure starting to look to me like the Pacers
    are the ones that are tanking.

At least they are getting an early enough start to get it right this year.

Sports Logo

To Tank or Not to Tank?

This question has come up way earlier this season then last year.

Can someone dig up that "tank thread" from last season?

Given what you know about the Pacers now.....would your opinion of tanking or not change from last year to now?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

To Tank or Not to Tank?

Last year I think it was feasable to go with the wait and see approach. We had new guys coming in under a coach who most felt was gone soon and whose players he DID have were tuning him out. There was JO trade talk (he had SOME value at this point), and just a lot of overall speculation regarding our roster. This year...TANK IT! We have a good draft coming up, the talent we have isn't going to win us anything this year. It also isn't talent we can trade for greater talent...the balance of life dosen't work as such. You can't trade known medicore talent for GREAT talent...at least not in this hemisphere. We just need a rebuild and a fresh start. The coaching change relieved a lot of people but the fan base still isn't feeling this team and deserves something new. We may lose for several years, but it will be fun watching a young FRESH team mature and grow.
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

we need to tank AND do our best to acquire at least one more mid-early 1st rounder for this 2008 draft!

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

I fully believe it is wrong to pray for things like landing picks #1 AND #2 in the draft, but I'm real close to trying it..
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

Wade and Beasley would be a helluva duo...

I'm almost to the point that I wouldn't be that upset with "tanking." Of course, talk to me in April after 6 weeks and I'll be ready to be a Bulls fan (not really). But seriously, I really feel like Eric Gordon is the cure-all for the Pacers. Even w/o trades, the year his rookie deal would be expiring and he'd get a max deal would be the year JO becomes a FA. That doesn't explain how we keep Danny and Shawne though.

If we don't wanna tank, trade Jeff to someone like SA for a late first and an expiring. Try and work our two firsts into a top 3. Jeff deserves better than this.
    Last edited by tdubb03; 01-25-2008 at 04:11 AM.

thank you tdubb for acknowledging that we should trade jeff. jeff is a great piece for a team with true playoff aspirations...thus NOT the pacers. and he does deserve better than this. there are MANY teams, esp out west, who would trade their 1st for jeff...phoenix anyone?

I would think Jeff would have very high value at the trade deadline. He's really one of the few guys in the entire league that can contain Tim Duncan on a regular basis, he's a great teammate, and a rebounding machine on a very, very reasonable salary. One would think that a team out West (LA or Phoenix, likely) would want him if they plan on getting around San Antonio this year. Seems like you should be able to get a piece or two from them for Jeff. In fact, with LA so thin up front, I wonder if they wouldn't do Crittenton + filler for Jeff.

As for tanking, I'm against sitting guys to prevent winning like the Celtics did last year. As time showed, karma catches up with that kind of behavior (slipping out of the top 2, not getting KG). But, I say let JO take the entire season, and put the focus on developing talent. Give Ike and Shawne 20+ minutes every game. Look to get picks or more young talent at the trade deadline (You don't think we'd have a spot for Crittenton in this lineup?). If that strategy lands us a top 5 pick, so be it. If not, we still developed some guys and played hard.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If for whatever reason we tank this year, and end up getting a top 5 pick i say we throw a party...
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I really hope that this is what we're doing right now. The solution for the P's is indeed to tank and do everything in its power to land Gordon and preferably someone else in the draft. It appears like we're phasing out JO (hopefully) so we should look into grabbing another pick to get a TRUE center, i.e. a Hibbert or Thabeet. That, however, would be hard seeing as both of those are lotto picks and we probably can't find a suitor that would give us a lotto pick for any of our assets. Maybe we can find a way to get a lotto for Granger (I have no problem letting him go TBH). That way we'd have a solid backcourt and frontcourt player to build the team around.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

*headdesk*

Does anyone here ever think just how devastated we will be when we tank the season and end up with the third pick?

Folks act like the number 1 pick is a lock when a team ends with the worst record. You have to bet that if Miami or New York stay down in that range the league will do everything in its power to get one of them that top pick.

Read my lips - the Pacers will not get a number 1 pick, even if we were to go 0-82 some year.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

They played really hard against the Spurs last night and lost by 1 so I dont THINK they are tanking.
    The eyes of the Granger are upon you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    *headdesk*

Does anyone here ever think just how devastated we will be when we tank the season and end up with the third pick?

Folks act like the number 1 pick is a lock when a team ends with the worst record. You have to bet that if Miami or New York stay down in that range the league will do everything in its power to get one of them that top pick.

Read my lips - the Pacers will not get a number 1 pick, even if we were to go 0-82 some year.
    No one here would be upset with the #3 pick in the draft. In fact, most would be thrilled.

I realize this is supposed to be a humourous thread, lighthearted and all. But as someone who spends money going to the games - I find the whole discussion about "tanking" offensive. Especially midway through the season

WE CAN'T TANK!
    EVEN IF WE WANTED TO, ALL THE OTHER TEAMS IN THE EAST WOULD CONTINUE TO SUCK ALONGSIDE US.

I'd rather just play all the young guys extensive minutes, let Jermaine rest, and hope for the best.

As long as JO's out and Tinsley is out, I think it will take care of itself. Really if they both just go away this might be the best way: We slide into a single digit draft pick (a range of picks I sure as hell would welcome this June) while the rest of the roster plays hard every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm calling it now; Miami will end their losing streak against us.
    I was thinking the same thing.

If you're a team on a losing skid, just circle the date you play the Pacers on your calendar and rest assured your losing streak will be over!

If you're a player and you're in a scoring slump, never fear! If your team is schedule to play the Pacers soon, your slumping days will be over! You'll rack up 30 pts like you've done it for years! Piece of cake!!