Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apologies to my 6 Year Old

Default Re: Apologies to my 6 Year Old

It is not too late - you can become a bandwagon fan and actually celebrate a championship in your lifetime. Hurry, change your allegiances. You can actually change them every year - many people do that.
    Yeah, this is something I want to instill my children, too. No sense of loyalty or allegiance. If my children become Lakers fans, then I will know I at least did something right.
    Bulletproof, I would like to introduce you to sarcasm.
    Um, I know you were being sarcastic, and I was responding with sarcasm.

Did you see that recent Chris Rock special on HBO where he says, If your daughter becomes a stripper, then you know (as a father) you fücked up.

Well...

If your child becomes a Laker fans, then you know...

You get the idea.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am the guy that still hates Larry Bird because he is a Celtic and I revere Chuck Person because he stuck it to Bird (tried to) and all those front running Indiana Celtic fans.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I can hear Mark Boyle's radio call of the infamous play now: "The ball rolls through Bender's legs!" :P
    May I embelish a little. Boyle "I don't believe what I have just seen! Bender rolls the ball through Bender's legs!"
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Dear Son -

I am sorry your father has turned you into a Pacers fan - but as long as I have, let me tell you what you have to look forward to.

Heartache.

This is an organization that is just good enough to make it to the Conference Finals - but wins it fewer than 20% of the time. This is a team that always seems close - but never is close enough... let me digress - do not let me turn you into a Colts fan as well - there is a curse involved with the Indianapolis teams that is stronger than even the Red Sox curse (you see, those people have the Patriots)... back to the Pacers.

I am sorry that the team you root for has no backcourt - and the 2 guard that used to have balls the size of Montana now can't even make a free throw in the clutch. I am sorry I subjected you to game 5 where you so astutely asked - 'how come Reggie never shoots?'

And I am really sorry that Jonathon Bender - someone who has been on the team almost as long as you have been alive - still has not developed into a player that could even carry a mediocre player from Kentucky's jock.

I am sorry that Ron Artest will break your heart again - he is our headache, and he will contunue to be for the foreseeable future.

I am sorry that Al Harrington never became as good as a Davis.

I am sorry that you root for a team whose secret weapon is a guy from Providence who coulsn't guard you.

I am sorry that I let you get sucked in with me - thinking that this was the year - the year with the home court. Hope can be a cruel mistress.

It is not too late - you can become a bandwagon fan and actually celebrate a championship in your lifetime. Hurry, change your allegiances. You can actually change them every year - many people do that.

Because son, this just hurts too damn much - and it happens every year. Every f-ing year.
    Is it to early to nominate this as "Post of the Year"?

Maybe Hicks could make a sticky with all the nominations for post of the year. Put this one at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in CT
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dear Son -

I am sorry your father has turned you into a Pacers fan - but as long as I have, let me tell you what you have to look forward to.

Heartache.

This is an organization that is just good enough to make it to the Conference Finals - but wins it fewer than 20% of the time. This is a team that always seems close - but never is close enough... let me digress - do not let me turn you into a Colts fan as well - there is a curse involved with the Indianapolis teams that is stronger than even the Red Sox curse (you see, those people have the Patriots)... back to the Pacers.

I am sorry that the team you root for has no backcourt - and the 2 guard that used to have balls the size of Montana now can't even make a free throw in the clutch. I am sorry I subjected you to game 5 where you so astutely asked - 'how come Reggie never shoots?'

And I am really sorry that Jonathon Bender - someone who has been on the team almost as long as you have been alive - still has not developed into a player that could even carry a mediocre player from Kentucky's jock.

I am sorry that Ron Artest will break your heart again - he is our headache, and he will contunue to be for the foreseeable future.

I am sorry that Al Harrington never became as good as a Davis.

I am sorry that you root for a team whose secret weapon is a guy from Providence who couldn't guard you.

I am sorry that I let you get sucked in with me - thinking that this was the year - the year with the home court. Hope can be a cruel mistress.

Because son, this just hurts too damn much - and it happens every year. Every f-ing year.

this is my kind of post. painful, bitter, biting, and twinged with humor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

and 12 months old
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able
    and 12 months old
    great writing is great writing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

3ptmiller

Listen to your daddy kid...

I feel somewhat like a Redsox fan. I was really too young to enjoy the ABA championships. Somebody mentioned IU and all 3 of those were great, but the traditions that Coach Knight built have been destroyed. Like him or not he got us to the final four and won 3 times and would have been 5 if not for injuries.

This year was tough on everybody on the forum, even the Piston fans on here had to be somewhat embarassed for the malace in the palace. As bad as it was it was truly wonderful to see the fans rally behind this team. There were a few golden moments, the game after the brawl which we almost pulled out, the first trip back to the palace. The comebacks after being humiliated by Boston and the game 7 win there. We saw a few of the young guys excel JJ andFreddie. We got DD back. I've aired my frustration and as Arnold says "I will be back"....
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Talking Re: Apologies to my 6 Year Old

You are singing my song Doug. I am also 35 years old, so I have lived through the same trials and tribulations.

I lived in Boston for five years, and I was always fascinated with the sadomasochistic martydom that infected so many different individuals. My neighbor Rob was the classic Sox fan. He was literally consumed by the Red Sox. He would watch them on television, or if he was in the yard, he would listen to them on the radio. He never missed a game, and almost as if it was on cue, every year it seemed the Yankee's would roll right over them.

I am not really much of a baseball fan these days, although I was when I was younger. I used to have the attention span to listen to the Reds play on television or the radio, but somehow over the years, I have just lost interest. The difference with baseball versus some other sports is that the time investment for a fan is just unreal. The games go on for hours, and sometimes you get those games that last until 2:00 AM. My friend Rob watched them all, and he absorbed loss after loss every year.

It was like watching Charlie Brown trying to kick that damned football every year, Lucy would always pull it away and he would land flat on his back. Hell, even the Patriots were no prize for many years before they won a championship. I don't keep up with hockey much, but it seems like it has been years since the Bruin's have won the Stanley Cup also. Boston has definitely excorcised some sports demons over the last couple of years.

I hope that as a Colt/Pacer fan that I don't have to go through what Red Sox fans endured. There is definitely a more level playing field in basketball versus baseball because of the salary cap. I have hope, and I do think we have a chance of winning it all if we can somehow harness the talent of this team. I think our window of time is short with this roster though. Hopefully with some healthy bodies, and with a little bit of luck, we will get another shot with this team.

I will be rooting for them either way, but God, a championship would be nice.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

It is unfortunate that my post from last year still resonates as much as it does.

The Boston fan never had anything to cry about - they had the Celtics and eventually the Patriots. I live next to one that I am shocked I have not killed yet. By the way brich - your Avatar is my favorite on the forum. Second place, steak knives... third place, you're fired

As a Colts/Pacers fan... well I do not have the time to let that depression envelop me right now
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Even if they do lose every year, you gotta keep faith. Gotta keep thinking in the back of your mind how sweet it will be once the Pacers/Colts/Cubs win the championship in my lifetime. If just one of them wins a championship, I will be happy, because it will be such a fun experience for myself, and every other fan in the city. We have all these glorious memories, and horrible memories, but they will all be worth it once we see the Vince Lombardi Trophy in the Dome (or the new place) or the NBA Finals Banner hanging from Conseco Fieldhouse. I will be able to tell my kids, I saw James Jones hitting clutch shots like Reggie Miller used to to lead the Pacers to the NBA Title. Oh what a wonderful day it will be.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukins
    At least no one here is a fan. Now that has to be brutal. Keep hope alive. Hey im in the office today with Pacer hat and a big bright Pacer yellow jersey. Im with this team forever win or lose.
    My second favorite team is the Warriors...only because I'm forced to watch them every year when nothing else is on. They'll be a playoff team next season though unless BD goes down with an injury, and what are the odds of that?

About 100%...which is also the same odds that Bender won't play an entire season.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!