Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apologies to my 6 Year Old

Default Apologies to my 6 Year Old

Dear Son -

I am sorry your father has turned you into a Pacers fan - but as long as I have, let me tell you what you have to look forward to.

Heartache.

This is an organization that is just good enough to make it to the Conference Finals - but wins it fewer than 20% of the time. This is a team that always seems close - but never is close enough... let me digress - do not let me turn you into a Colts fan as well - there is a curse involved with the Indianapolis teams that is stronger than even the Red Sox curse (you see, those people have the Patriots)... back to the Pacers.

I am sorry that the team you root for has no backcourt - and the 2 guard that used to have balls the size of Montana now can't even make a free throw in the clutch. I am sorry I subjected you to game 5 where you so astutely asked - 'how come Reggie never shoots?'

And I am really sorry that Jonathon Bender - someone who has been on the team almost as long as you have been alive - still has not developed into a player that could even carry a mediocre player from Kentucky's jock.

I am sorry that Ron Artest will break your heart again - he is our headache, and he will contunue to be for the foreseeable future.

I am sorry that Al Harrington never became as good as a Davis.

I am sorry that you root for a team whose secret weapon is a guy from Providence who couldn't guard you.

I am sorry that I let you get sucked in with me - thinking that this was the year - the year with the home court. Hope can be a cruel mistress.

It is not too late - you can become a bandwagon fan and actually celebrate a championship in your lifetime. Hurry, change your allegiances. You can actually change them every year - many people do that.

Because son, this just hurts too damn much - and it happens every year. Every f-ing year.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Apologies to my 6 Year Old

Oh God

Indeed every f-ing year
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Amen.

t-Bone

we will be back. we, WILL be back and win it.

sweabs

Funny stuff...yet PAINFULLY true.

Preach on. I'm there with you. I was never alive during IU's NCAA championships. Diappointment and heartache are all that I have felt as an Indiana sports fan. But I keep rooting, keep hope alive.

WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope that diss was towards Austin and not PC.

Well, I pretty much know what to expect if Walsh was alone calling the shots... but now there is the tandem of Walsh and Bird so maybe we will be a little more active in plugging leaks and.... even proactive.... we might even cut our losses in some places...

Or maybe it'll be like always- Grow from within and be happy we aren't the Clippers.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

This is an organization that is just good enough to make it to the Conference Finals - but wins it fewer than 20% of the time. This is a team that always seems close - but never is close enough... let me digress - do not let me turn you into a Colts fan as well - there is a curse involved with the Indianapolis teams that is stronger than even the Red Sox curse (you see, those people have the Patriots)... back to the Pacers.

Because son, this just hurts too damn much - and it happens every year. Every f-ing year.
    Well, I don't know that I would go so far as saying that any "Indianapolis team curse" could be stronger than the Red Sox supposed curse. I mean, the Colts have only been in Indy since the mid-'80s and the Pacers since the late '60s (and they won 3 ABA titles) - we're talking 42 yrs before the Patriots won a championship and it's been around 100 yrs of frustration for the Sox!

[Edit]

Preach on. I'm there with you. I was never alive during IU's NCAA championships.
    Ok, now I feel really old...
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dear Son -

I am sorry your father has turned you into a Pacers fan - but as long as I have, let me tell you what you have to look forward to.

Heartache.

I am sorry that the team you root for has no backcourt - and the 2 guard that used to have balls the size of Montana now can't even make a free throw in the clutch. I am sorry I subjected you to game 5 where you so astutely asked - 'how come Reggie never shoots?'

And I am really sorry that Jonathon Bender - someone who has been on the team almost as long as you have been alive - still has not developed into a player that could even carry a mediocre player from Kentucky's jock.

I am sorry that Ron Artest will break your heart again - he is our headache, and he will contunue to be for the foreseeable future.

I am sorry that Al Harrington never became as good as a Davis.

I am sorry that you root for a team whose secret weapon is a guy from Providence who coulsn't guard you.

I am sorry that I let you get sucked in with me - thinking that this was the year - the year with the home court. Hope can be a cruel mistress.

It is not too late - you can become a bandwagon fan and actually celebrate a championship in your lifetime. Hurry, change your allegiances. You can actually change them every year - many people do that.

Oh quit preaching to the congregation...I'm a Cubs fan too.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Next year is the year.

Did you really believe this team would win it all?

LAPacer

Sometimes, I wish I was a Lakers fan. But the Pacers have alot of class. Jermaine did great at the press conference.

Default Some Replies

Was I ripping on Providence - no... Austin, yes.

Do I feel sorry for the Boston fan - hell no. The 35 year old (my age) has celebrated no less than 5 championships while I am supposed to remember the early 70s? Same with Chicago fans.

Did I think we would win the championship - no, because of the Indianapolis curse - but in all seriousness, we were better than every team in the league but the Lakers - I could have lived with a Lakers sweep - but we were better than Detroit.

And someone made the comment about knowing what to expect if Walsh was calling the shots - in my opinion he would be pinning next year's hopes on Jamison Brewer.

This team is in dire need for a 2 guard - starter - no small role - and a guard who is fast enought to stay with the T.J. Fords and Dwyane Wades of the East. Will they get that? Not without a trade.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

The thing that stalled our progress 2 critical injures ..it's pretty easy too see if we have a 100% JO and TInsley we have a much better shot , we just got unlucky injuries at the worst time.

After seeing Game 5 I dealt with my were not gonna make it this year feelings I seen it on the Players faces in game 5 and I knew the Reggie Miller I knew was gone when he passed on that 3 on the Break in game 5 .

I am very shocked we won 61 games , I knew from the get go that we had weakness and it took the ECF and a good Pistons team to expose the weakness , the Heat some what exploited it but the Pistons opened it wide up.

Been a Pacers fan for 30 years , so I know what pain is trust me.

The thing that stalled our progress 2 critical injures ..it's pretty easy too see if we have a 100% JO and TInsley we have a much better shot , we just got unlucky injuries at the worst time.
    The thing that stalled our progress was Detroit's trade deadline upgrade and our standing pat. Since we were the best team in the East at the time it is understandable how we stood pat but Detroit made us pay. The trade propelled them past us.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Well let me ask you this , Did we have anything anyone wanted , same goes for us did someone have anything we wanted , only person you would have wanted to give up was AL and if I remember he got hurt right around that time.

With the solid progress and record we had at the time , I think the old saying is " If it ain't broke , don't fix it"

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just remember this - if we haven't done something to our kids they could sue us over when they grow up warped and twisted, then we haven't done our job as parents.

You've done your job as a parent.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

sweabs

The more it hurts now, the better it will feel when we finally win.

[size=9:fa4ae146f8] I just hope I'm alive to feel that [/size]

The Pacers back fortunes should not be compared to that of the Red Sox.

You realize of course that every single Red Sox potseason failure has involved losing a seven game series (or one game playoff, thank you Bucky Dent) and almost always blowing at least one game in an incredibly bizarre manner, fom Bucky to Bill Buckner to Aaron Boone to Grady Little.

If the Pacers' fortunes were truly that of the Red Sox, the Pacers would have won last night, and this is how game 7 would have unfolded:

The Pacers would be ahead by 2 points and running out the clock. Reggie would be fouled with 5 seconds left. Unexplicably, for the first time in his career, he would miss both free throws. A Pacer would rebound the ball but dribble it off his foot, straight to a Piston, who would pass to Billups at midcourt, who would be stripped of the ball by Ron Artest. The loose ball would crazily find its way to Ben Wallace, who would hoist a 40-footer, finding nothing but net, the one and only game winning three pointer of his career.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At least no one here is a fan. Now that has to be brutal. Keep hope alive. Hey im in the office today with Pacer hat and a big bright Pacer yellow jersey. Im with this team forever win or lose.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

woman without a team

Dear Doug's son,

I'm sorry your father forgot to take his Prozac. Tell your mom to put him in a padded room and not to let him out until preseason.

In the meantime dance with your fruits and vegatables and enjoy the summer!

: range:

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

If the Pacers' fortunes were truly that of the Red Sox, the Pacers would have won last night, and this is how game 7 would have unfolded:

The Pacers would be ahead by 2 points and running out the clock. Reggie would be fouled with 5 seconds left. Unexplicably, for the first time in his career, he would miss both free throws. A Pacer would rebound the ball but dribble it off his foot, straight to a Piston, who would pass to Billups at midcourt, who would be stripped of the ball by Ron Artest. The loose ball would crazily find its way to Ben Wallace, who would hoist a 40-footer, finding nothing but net, the one and only game winning three pointer of his career.
    I can hear Mark Boyle's radio call of the infamous play now: "The ball rolls through Bender's legs!" :P
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

You realize of course that every single Red Sox potseason failure has involved losing a seven game series (or one game playoff, thank you Bucky Dent) and almost always blowing at least one game in an incredibly bizarre manner, fom Bucky to Bill Buckner to Aaron Boone to Grady Little.
    I know I'm being an idiot, but those two were the same game.

Yeah, this is something I want to instill my children, too. No sense of loyalty or allegiance. If my children become Lakers fans, then I will know I at least did something right.

Yeah, this is something I want to instill my children, too. No sense of loyalty or allegiance. If my children become Lakers fans, then I will know I at least did something right.
    Bulletproof, I would like to introduce you to sarcasm.

Of course I will teach my son about loyalty and allegiance.

Why shouldn't he have the same misery every year that I do - the pain reminds us that we are alive.

I am the guy that still hates Larry Bird because he is a Celtic and I revere Chuck Person because he stuck it to Bird (tried to) and all those front running Indiana Celtic fans.

Don't talk to me about loyalty. I drove 15 hours to see game 5 in person.

Question my knowledge, my theories, my whatever - but never my loyalty - and never what I would really teach my son.