Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40

Thread: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

  1. #26
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Green's a twig that hasn't improved on anything except his ability to dunk in an empty gym. He'll be out of the league in 3 years, which makes him a year better than Harrison.



    Zero risk? For Minnesota? Why would they want that walking headache on their team for any amount of time?

    The last thing you need on a last-place team is a guy that is known for nonconstructive attitude.
    Not to mention they could get someone significantly better than David if they made a few calls.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  2. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Green's a twig that hasn't improved on anything except his ability to dunk in an empty gym. He'll be out of the league in 3 years.



    Zero risk? For Minnesota? Why would they want that walkign headache on their team for any amount of time?
    Green's 3-point shooting has improved every season he's been in the league, from 30% his rookie season, 37% last year, and a very impressive 41% this year. His passing is greatly improved, and for the first time in his career he's dishing out more assists than turnovers. Impressive considering he only has 9.2 fingers. He's also looking like a decent rebounder, despite his sleight of frame. He needs to mature, both physically and of course mentally, but the skills are there. Considering how impressive his long range shooting has been, he'd fit right in with the Pacers and Jim O'Brien's system. And being a great dunker is never a bad thing. In fact, Conseco could use some of it to bring a little excitement every now and then.

    As for Harrison, sure he has maturity issues, but, all things considered, he's worth the risk for the Wolves. It goes along with the whole "if management isn't impressed, let him walk" scenario. And if he's that bad, he can be cut. I highly doubt it would come to that. And if Minnesota insisted, I'd throw in a future 2nd rounder to offset the risk of Harrison having to be cut.

  3. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to mention they could get someone significantly better than David if they made a few calls.
    You're implying Green's some horrid basketball player that deserves to be playing in some 8th rate league in Turkmenistan, yet at the same time you're implying Green has decent trade value? What's the deali-o with that?

    Could the Wolves get better than Harrison for Green? Maybe. Significantly better? I doubt it. Like someone else mentioned, if a team wants him (Green) that badly, they can just wait until the offseason and sign him for 1/3 of the MLE ($2M~). It beats giving up something "significantly better than" David Harrison.
    Last edited by Kofi; 01-26-2008 at 09:53 PM.

  4. #29
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Green's 3-point shooting has improved every season he's been in the league, from 30% his rookie season, 37% last year, and a very impressive 41% this year.
    He's made a whopping 13 threes this season. Nice sample size.

    I'd focus more on his %33 field goal shooting, which has gotten worse every season but I guess the fact he makes a three once a week or so overshadows that...

    His passing is greatly improved, and for the first time in his career he's dishing out more assists than turnovers.
    1.2 assist average, making him 1/5th of an assist better than last year.

    And being a great dunker is never a bad thing.
    It is when you can only dunk in an empty gym.

    He needs to mature, both physically and of course mentally, but the skills are there. Considering how impressive his long range shooting has been, he'd fit right in with the Pacers and Jim O'Brien's system.
    One three pointer a week......

    Hey, if he improves on that, he might get that average up to 5 or 6 threes in a month, which would equal the amount of 15-footers he makes in a season.

    As for Harrison, sure he has maturity issues, but, all things considered, he's worth the risk for the Wolves.
    ...worth the risk because you say he is? Nobody in the league wants any part of this guy. At least gerald isn't a potential chemistry-killer.

    I'd point out the fact that %50 of this forum has a better off-hand than Gerald Green, but that would be piling on...

    Ah heck, who am I kidding, I'll mention it anyway.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-26-2008 at 10:01 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  5. #30
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're implying Green's some horrid basketball player that deserves to be playing in some 8th rate league in Turkmenistan, yet at the same time you're implying Green has decent trade value? What's the deali-o with that?

    I think he's implying that pretty much everything else in the NBA is significantly better than David Harrison.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  6. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's made a whopping 13 threes this season. Nice sample size.
    37% in his career. That's over a sample size of 310 career attempts. Taking that into account, as well as the fact that shooting is something that almost always improves in time, it's only logical to assume the 41% is the norm rather than a statistical anomaly due to a small sample size.

    Bottomline - he can hit the long ball. If there's anything that's undebatable about Green's game, it's that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd focus more on his %33 field goal shooting, which has gotten worse every season but I guess the fact he makes a three once a week or so overshadows that...
    He's not getting minutes. You can't make shots if you're not playing. Minnesota's giving the majority of their SG/SF minutes to McCants and Brewer. McCants is understandable, he looks very promising. The fact that Brewer's been one of the worst player in the league this year yet is still getting P.T. over Green is the reason Gerald wants out of Minny in the first place, and rightfully so. When you're outplaying someone, and are still riding the bench, you have a right to be frustrated. It has nothing to do with how they're playing and everything to do with Minnesota having plans for Brewer and none for Green, despite the fact that Green has proven to be the more skilled player. That's Kevin McHale for you.

    As for his FG%, sure it's bad, but questionable shot selection and the low FG% that comes with it is common amongst young perimeter players. Look no further than the aforementioned Corey Brewer and your very own rookie, Rodney Stuckey (29.7) for example. His career 42% isn't horrible, and he shot a very impressive 48% as a rookie. If you're gonna say his 3% this year is a result of a small sample size, it's only fair that you also use the same logic when taking into account his fg%.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1.2 assist average, making him 1/5th of an assist better than last year.
    In half the minutes. That changes things just a little bit, eh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is when you can only dunk in an empty gym.
    I've seen him throw down some nasty in-game dunks last year when he was getting good playing time. In fact, he had one of the best dunks of the season vs the Raptors. You can't throw down in-game dunks if you're not actually getting in the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...worth the risk because you say he is? Nobody in the league wants any part of this guy. At least gerald isn't a potential chemistry-killer.p
    Worth the risk because I say he is? In my opinion, yes.

    And you're making extreme exaggerations with the whole "chemistry killer" claim. First of all, no backup is gonna have enough importance on a team to be considered a "chemistry killer". Secondly, he hasn't been a "chemistry killer" here. He's certainly had his rough moments, and isn't exactly Mr. Maturity, but at no point would I say he's been a "chemistry killer". I think this is a blatant exaggeration of the truth in order to help support your opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd point out the fact that %50 of this forum has a better off-hand than Gerald Green, but that would be piling on...

    Ah heck, who am I kidding, I'll mention it anyway.
    It's a flaw, yes. No one said he's some flawless prospect. But it's not a career killer, in fact it's a flaw lots of players have. It can be corrected in time. And even if it's not, he can still be a useful player. We're talking about giving up Harrison and maybe a future 2nd, not a 1st, Granger, or anything of great value.
    Last edited by Kofi; 01-26-2008 at 10:55 PM.

  7. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he's implying that pretty much everything else in the NBA is significantly better than David Harrison.
    I can't agree at all. And you'll see at the end of the season when some team offers Harrison a decent contract. GM's will always take chances with young big men. It's a proven fact. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that Harrison gets a bigger contract this offseason than Green.

  8. #33
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're implying Green's some horrid basketball player that deserves to be playing in some 8th rate league in Turkmenistan, yet at the same time you're implying Green has decent trade value? What's the deali-o with that?
    I, though maybe not as much as Kstat, think he's pretty bad at basketball.

    Others, such as yourself and certainly some NBA personnel folk, still think his physical tools warrant a deeper look. He's an uber-athlete, after all...even by NBA standards.

    But I watch a lot of Celtics ball and have never seen much. Just don't think he's good.

    Could the Wolves get better than Harrison for Green? Maybe. Significantly better? I doubt it. Like someone else mentioned, if a team wants him (Green) that badly, they can just wait until the offseason and sign him for 1/3 of the MLE ($2M~). It beats giving up something "significantly better than" David Harrison.
    Significantly better isn't that hard. Harrison has no value, like Bulldog said.

    Dallas could give up Fakezas. Phoenix could offer Alando Tucker. Seattle has multiple big man "projects" they could offer. Hornets have Hitlon Armstrong. Houston has Steve Novak. Hell, Portland might give up Sergio Rodriguez.

    I'm not saying any of these guys are great. But plenty of teams could and would offer players at least this good and most likely better for a guy with this much potential...even if his deal is set to expire this summer (which I find hard to believe by the way. Did they really not pick up his option? Why?)

    But personally, I think he's gonna be dogshi*. So I wouldn't offer anything but dogshi*. And if we called up Minnesota with an offer of Harrison, that's exactly what McHale would think we were offering and hang-up.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  9. #34
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,449
    Mood

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    I think it would be a good move if they are willing to go for Harrison. It's not like Harrison will probably be returning next season. If we can pull that off it could be a second coup like signing Rush.

  10. #35
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would Minny, though?

    I think we'd all agree that we'd move Harrison for loose change if we could, despite the fact that the one thing this team doesn't need is another raw swingman.
    They might if they don't get better offers. You have zero interest in Green and will let him walk this summer, Harrison can also be let go this summer, so WTF does it hurt to swap them for either team?

    But again that means that no one thinks enough of Green to give Minny a better offer. And if that's the case then we can't count on much ourselves.

    edit - all of this has already been said in much more detail by others which makes this post more of a QFT
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-26-2008 at 11:51 PM.

  11. #36
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,637

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure which question to ask first: why the pacers would want Gerald Green, or the TWolves would want David Harrison...
    The first post in this thread that makes sense. Let's see.....we are so chalk-full of SG/SF that one of the reasons ( but not the main reason ) why we are now playing Small Ball is cuz most of our halfway decent shooter/scorers happen to be SG/SFs. It totally makes sense to me to add yet another SG/SF to our rotation that we are going to have ZERO minutes to play that will likely bolt after this offseason.

    If we were a team that was stacked in the Frontcourt and were in need of a Guard, then I could see making a run for Green as a sensible plan. But since we are not.....I don't see Green as an option.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  12. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The first post in this thread that makes sense. Let's see.....we are so chalk-full of SG/SF that one of the reasons ( but not the main reason ) why we are now playing Small Ball is cuz most of our halfway decent shooter/scorers happen to be SG/SFs. It totally makes sense to me to add yet another SG/SF to our rotation that we are going to have ZERO minutes to play that will likely bolt after this offseason.

    If we were a team that was stacked in the Frontcourt and were in need of a Guard, then I could see making a run for Green as a sensible plan. But since we are not.....I don't see Green as an option.
    I will respectfully disagree. We have backcourt quantity but I do not believe we have backcourt quality. What you see is what you get with Rush, Daniels, and Owens - serviceable players, but nothing more. Daniels can't shoot and is injury prone. Owens is a 6'3" SG. Rush has been the best of the three, but even he's nothing special and will likely bolt for greener pa$ture$ at seasons end. Gerald is serviceable right now (despite what some people would like to believe), yet he also has the physical tools and untapped potential to be much more than that in the future. He's a very comparable prospect to Shawne Williams in my opinion, the difference being Green is more of a SG to Shawne's SF. If he can be had, we'd be fools to pass him up. Just because he hasn't lived up to the pre-draft hype of being the next Tracy McGrady doesn't mean he's not still a good prospect.
    Last edited by Kofi; 01-27-2008 at 12:46 AM.

  13. #38
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,637

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Owens is a 6'3" SG.
    Although you think that Owens is a 6'4" ( according to his NBA profile ) SG ( which is pretty much true ), he doesn't play minutes at the SG/SF rotation....he only backs up Diener or Tinsley. He wouldn't eat up any minutes at any position that Green would likely play.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rush has been the best of the three, but even he's nothing special and will likely bolt for greener pa$ture$ at seasons end.
    Green is a Unresticted Free Agent as well.....why wouldn't Green do the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gerald is serviceable right now (despite what some people would like to believe), yet he also has the physical tools and untapped potential to be much more than that in the future. He's a very comparable prospect to Shawne Williams in my opinion, the difference being Green is more of a SG to Shawne's SF. If he can be had, we'd be fools to pass him up. Just because he hasn't lived up to the pre-draft hype of being the next Tracy McGrady doesn't mean he's not still a good prospect.
    I didn't say that he wasn't a good prospect....I just said that we have ZERO minutes for him in our rotation now.

    I don't see him playing ahead of Granger, Dunleavy or Rush. That means that at best...he can probably get the share the remaining minutes of the SG/SF/PF rotation with Marquis and Shawne. We barely have enough minutes for them now.....where are we going to get minutes to add Green? Unless we trade Marquis or Shawne ( something that I doubt will happen ), the Pacers FO really thinks that Green is something special and is worth giving him a "trial run"....then I just don't that we can get him any meaningful minutes.

    And if we aren't able to give him any meaningful minutes now.......how are we going to play him to see if he's worth signing in the offseason?

    If he was a Restricted FA...then I can see taking a risk on him....but since he's an Unresticted FA, then I don't see the point of trying him out.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-27-2008 at 02:26 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  14. #39
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,129

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    I'm reading Kstat's scouting report on Green and trying to decide how much weight to give it.... as I remember Kstat's glowing and gushing scouting report on Darko when he learned he would be a Piston....



    I heard everyone's favorite commentator, Tommy Heinson, talking about Green just the other day. He said (paraphrased) that Green's dunking performance had caused him to forget that there were other parts to the offense than dunks and it doomed him in Boston. Tommy was surprised to see that he'd developed a midrange game since leaving the Celtics.

    FWIW...


    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. #40
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,112
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green Wants Out of Minnesota

    they should take a shot at this.

Similar Threads

  1. Seattle at Green Bay – NFC Divisional – 1/12/08
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 06:56 PM
  2. 12/21/2007 Guess The Score - Pacers at Minnesota
    By RoboDoug in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 06:37 PM
  3. Chicago at Minnesota - Monday Night Football - 12/17/07
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 10:22 PM
  4. Anyone know what is wrong with Gerald Green?
    By idioteque in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM
  5. Per RealGM Kings waive Orien Green
    By indygeezer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 12:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •