Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

As far as I can see we're going to hang around .500 all year. some winning streaks and some losing. Sometimes you see glimpses of what the pacers could be and sometimes all you see is clanking on the rim.

If we stay .500 this year, make the playoffs, and lose in the first round what would you want to see done.

1.leave the roster as is, with minor tweaking
    2.make a major trade for a superstar which would cost us young talent and draft picks.
    3.blow up the team dump saleries, and try to compile draft picks, with trying to keep some of the young talent to start to build around(granger williams, etc) ala. Portland

Default Re: What would you do?

4. Make trades based on making a team.

Idea 1 is out of the question for me. This team as structured will go nowhere in the long run.

Option 2 while sounding good is very very very hard to do, in fact I don't believe we have the tools to do that.

Option 3 while popular is also a huge huge crapshoot. For every Portland you have an Atlanta (who while doing very well this year has sucked for almost a decade).

Getting a combination of young players and good veterans to me makes the most sense.

Other than whatever position we are going to play Granger at, either the three or four, I feel that we could use an upgrade at every position.

My first preferance would be to get a new point guard. But barring that I want a bruiser up front.

Roaming Gnome said the name Paul Millsap to me after the game and my mouth started to water. We don't have anything they would want but other than Granger I would trade anyone else on the team to get him.

But I think honestly small moves is the way we are going to have to go and pray we catch a break in the draft.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

The one thing Bird has proven he can do is draft well. That's really all it takes to rebuild, provided you can keep your talent from bolting when their rookie contracts are up. We've already got good role players, now we need a legit franchise player to replace the washed up J.O.; a Batman to Granger's Robin.

As for the Hawks rebuilding process, least ye forget they actually tried option #4 and failed miserably which set the team back 2-3 seasons. Glenn Robinson and Shareef Abdur-Rahim, anyone? Robinson was acquired for their 2003 pick, which ended up being T.J. Ford. And of course they acquired Shareef by giving up their 2002 1st, which is All-Star Pau Gasol. Ouch. Had they stuck to a true rebuilding instead of going for the "quick fix", they likely would've been much better off.
    Last edited by Kofi; 01-20-2008 at 03:03 AM.

More importantly, WWTDD?
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

If you are talking about in the offseason - I'm not ready to start thinking about the offseason yet. We are only 1/2 way through the season. .

I think that the sooner that Tinsley is out of a Pacers uniform , the sooner you will see a top east team come together ..

I think we have all the talent in the world to be a good team.
    But with Mel Mel at the helm.. I dont see anything happening anytime soon in the vein of progression
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

#3 isn't a bad option as long as TPTB isn't dumb enough to do what
    Billy Knight did and draft SF's year after year.

#1 is a recipe for mediocrity.

#2 is not feasible.

#3 has partially happened. The "team" no longer exists. Hmmm. Hope the cold water 's not too much of a shock.

We now have a few overpaid semi-good players and a few young, somewhat promising players. The talent level is good enough to keep us out of the cellar, but not good enough to make the playoffs easily.

So what should we do?

One option is to ride the contracts out for a few years and try to dump salary whereever possible...while hanging onto the young talent we have. Then, we should try to pick up a free agent or two....as well as make the best picks we can. I suspect that's the brilliant plan by TPTB. Fairly boring, but represents the least risk. We might turn out to be a decent team and get back in the playoffs with some good moves.

The other option is to tank completely. Let Granger, Williams, etc. walk while hanging onto JO, Murphy and the other bad contracts. Once JO walks and we have no talent at all, we take our place at the bottom of the league. That's not palatable from some people, and I'm not sure I want to see it either. However, many teams that have contended recently or are doing well now used to be terrible: Miami, Boston, Atlanta, Toronto, Portland etc. Might be a crapshoot, but I consider it better odds than a more conservative approach if you want to be a contender...because you need to get a true superstar to build around in most instances...and teams don't hand those out...you need to pick high in the draft...

Mood

I like #3 option myself if there nothing done before the trade deadline.

Bird has already stated he would never blow up the team & unless we were just one step away from a champioship, #2 makes zero sence.

That leaves #1, the same thing that got us were we are today.

Gosh I miss the good old days.

Banned

Too bad Bird's stance on coaching doesn't also apply to GMing. He'd be back on the golf course in Florida if it did.

I'm with Peck. I could have written that myself, except that I wouldn't have said it as well. But I echo the sentiments exactly.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I want Tinsley gone.....
    I want Bird to actually do someting besides rely on some scouts on who to draft.
    I want OBrien to rely on Granger and Dunny more for points and play Foster more..

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    #1 is a recipe for mediocrity.

#2 is not feasible.

#3 has partially happened. The "team" no longer exists. Hmmm. Hope the cold water 's not too much of a shock.

We now have a few overpaid semi-good players and a few young, somewhat promising players. The talent level is good enough to keep us out of the cellar, but not good enough to make the playoffs easily.

So what should we do?

One option is to ride the contracts out for a few years and try to dump salary whereever possible...while hanging onto the young talent we have. Then, we should try to pick up a free agent or two....as well as make the best picks we can. I suspect that's the brilliant plan by TPTB. Fairly boring, but represents the least risk. We might turn out to be a decent team and get back in the playoffs with some good moves.

The other option is to tank completely. Let Granger, Williams, etc. walk while hanging onto JO, Murphy and the other bad contracts. Once JO walks and we have no talent at all, we take our place at the bottom of the league. That's not palatable from some people, and I'm not sure I want to see it either. However, many teams that have contended recently or are doing well now used to be terrible: Miami, Boston, Atlanta, Toronto, Portland etc. Might be a crapshoot, but I consider it better odds than a more conservative approach if you want to be a contender...because you need to get a true superstar to build around in most instances...and teams don't hand those out...you need to pick high in the draft...
    i think we as Pacer fans would be outraged if we truly went through with this. while it may look and sound good on paper, truthfully even with high draft picks it could be years before we actually managed to do anything.

i think by far our best bet is to ride it out and stick to our guns. JO will come around (if his knee can cooperate) and if he doesn't, well he's gone in 2 years and we're in far better shape than we would be if we attempted to blow up the team.

sooooo i guess im for option #1
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If you are talking about in the offseason - I'm not ready to start thinking about the offseason yet. We are only 1/2 way through the season. .
    'Nuff Said...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    i think we as Pacer fans would be outraged if we truly went through with this. while it may look and sound good on paper, truthfully even with high draft picks it could be years before we actually managed to do anything.

i think by far our best bet is to ride it out and stick to our guns. JO will come around (if his knee can cooperate) and if he doesn't, well he's gone in 2 years and we're in far better shape than we would be if we attempted to blow up the team.

sooooo i guess im for option #1
    I certainly respect your opinion, but I think *you* as a Pacer fan would be outraged, but not *we* as Pacer fans. It's hard to say how many people would be for or against blowing up the current team...but it's not 100% either way.

As for #1, it will take a lot of minor tweaks to rise above the current level of mediocrity. Maybe after 5 more below .500 seasons with the addition of a Kareem Rush here and a Travis Diener there, we have a shot at getting in the playoffs. But even that will take good moves by management...which have been hit and miss at best.

As for contending, you can forget about it for years. Nothing in life is certain except death, taxes and that the Pacers will never again contend with JO in a Pacer uni. Granger isn't leading this team anywhere. Neither is Dunleavy. They are both good complimentary players, but fall quite short of being #1 options. The salary situation is a disaster for the next 3 years and that is likely to make resigning Foster impossible, and Granger difficult. An entirely new group will need to come in before we contend again, and that might be 10 or more years away. IMO, it will be about the time Danny Granger starts getting grey hair.

BTW, as for JO, it's best to assume he's done. We should attempt to unload his salary somehow so we can at least retain the talent we do have. Something is going to hit the fan in a year or two. Irresistable force v immovable object. This is particularly true if JO is not tradeable due to his knee. I cannot over emphasize how bad it is to this franchise's future due to JO's knee. It puts us in a position where we may be forced to sacrifice even more talent while watching him sit the rest of his contract...then walk.

So, in the end, it's likely we will be forced to go with #3 particularly if JO does not make a miraculous recovery.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

^^ fair enough, i shouldn't have categorized us all into the same category. but you mark my words, we will make the playoffs this year, JO will come back this year (and be effective) , AND
    we'll me noticeably better next year w/o any major changes except our incoming 1st rounder
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Banned

My choice would be: stop living in denial, stop standing around waiting for miracles to happen, admit the team will never go anywhere, and start over with Granger, Shawne, possibly Ike, draft picks, and hopefully cap-space. Get rid of J.O. and Tinsley and the bad vibes they've left on the team, and let's move on instead of going through the same pointless crap week after week, month after month, year after year.

If we could make a replica of what Portland did in the offseason last year, we'd be perfect.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As a further example of the evil nature of this season, I am agreeing with Peck.

We don't have anywhere near the foundation to take advantage of a single superstar player, especially since we'd be giving away most of it in any trade. You can't tweak a black hole. Blowing up the team depends on luck (getting the #1 pick, getting a pick who won't be injured/stupid, having that pick fit the pieces already assembled).

The teams of the late 90's were built piece-by-piece. It took many years to get to the place where the right coach was the final ingredient and a little tweaking took care of business. Even then, there were holes that ultimately kept us from reaching the top. You have to begin by getting a team filled with solid back-up players before you can package some of them for a starter. If you are lucky you can build starters from those back-ups, but it depends on the players and coaches having the talent to do so.

We need to seriously examine:

- what kind of team we want to be
    - what current players fit that and will continue to fit that for at least 5 years
    - what current players will fill roles that make sense no matter what the style
    - what type of players we need to go for
    - who is left that should be cast aside or traded if possible.

Will TPTB do this? Who knows?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Start with new management and go from there.

BTW.....as I've said before...........Welcome to the 80's.
    Where it's Deja Vu all over again.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

This is just a passing thought, but with the Simons reaching closer to retirement, could a Packers situation work in the NBA (the Pacers specifically)?

I don't know the specifics, but the city of Green Bay (maybe the county it's in?) owns the Packers. Indiana is just as passionate about basketball as GB is football.

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    This is just a passing thought, but with the Simons reaching closer to retirement, could a Packers situation work in the NBA (the Pacers specifically)?

I don't know the specifics, but the city of Green Bay (maybe the county it's in?) owns the Packers. Indiana is just as passionate about basketball as GB is football.
    The city (as in the city government) doesn't own the team.

The Packers are just a "publicly" owned company in that they are owned by a bunch of shareholders who bought stock in the team, but there is a limit to the amount of stock one person can buy. Basically, they're a corporation with no single person having majority control

They're the only franchise in American sports run that way. If I had to guess, the Simons will probably make a bigger profit selling to someone else or they might just want to hand the operations of the franchise on to their children.

Most sports team owners are in it for the thrill of owning a pro sports team. If the Simons ever wanted to sell, I'm sure there would be several groups of rich investors immediately interested in buying from them. The Packers' situation is truly unique and the way their franchise "ownership" is structured was established long ago. I doubt we'll ever see something like that in this country again.
    Last edited by d_c; 01-24-2008 at 11:01 AM.

Do whatever it takes to get Eric Gordon, and rebuild from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    How is that any different from what we're doing right now?