Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

  1. #1
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    StL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,713

    Default Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    this is about the o'neal/carter deal but i thought it deserved its own thread as he talks more about the constant mediocrity. if mods want to merge, thats fine.

    Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other
    By Kelly Dwyer
    Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 1:16 pm EST

    This is what happens when people don't listen, and decide that sustaining a run of mediocrity is the best possible way to keep their jobs.

    Indiana Pacers boss Larry Bird, after watching his Pacers fall apart in 2004-05 and flame out in 2005-06, should have rebuilt the team in the summer of 2006.

    He had Peja Stojakovic's hefty contract coming off his books, he had some assets (Jamaal Tinsley, pre-shootouts, Jermaine O'Neal, then-overrated) that could fetch expiring contracts and young talent, and he had the goodwill of the Pacer fandom, who wouldn't possibly blame him for the melee in Auburn Hills back in 2004, or the string of injuries that resulted.

    This time last season, New Jersey Nets Rod Thorn should have looked at his aging Nets, stuck at .500 with little room to grow, and blown the thing up.

    Should have dumped Jason Kidd on a desperate team looking to make one last push. Should have sent Vince Carter for a team looking for perimeter scoring and/or an expiring contract. Should have, if no suitors emerged for VC, passed on signing Carter last summer, or explored sign-and-trade options.

    Now look at where the Nets are: 18-22, in the midst of a tough Western Conference road swing, and out of the playoffs today in spite of a 67 million dollar payroll. Vince is about to turn 31, Kidd's about to turn 35, and nobody expects much of them.

    Now look at where the Pacers are: 19-23 with a 66 million dollar payroll that grows even larger next season, with little room to improve short of blowing everything up, which won't be easy to do now that the bloom is off the Jamaal.

    So what do the Nets and Pacers decide to do? Talk about sustaining that near-.500 turn for even longer, making it look like they're working on improving, and potentially sending Jermaine O'Neal to the Nets for Carter, Jamaal Magliore, and Marcus Williams.

    I don't know who leaked the deal, or which team (or agent, even) would stand to gain from this move hitting the press, because it confirms our worst fears about both teams: they really don't get it.

    The Pacers would add Carter, who plays the same (wing) position as their only trio of talented youngsters (Danny Granger, Shawne Williams, Mike Dunleavy Jr.)?

    The Nets still think Jermaine O'Neal, career 46 percent shooter, is the team's low-post scoring option of the future? The guy has averaged 55 games a season over the last three, he's played 33 games this year (15 points, seven rebounds, 2.5 blocks) while talking about sitting the rest of the season out ... and he's the answer?

    I know it's hard to sell dwindling crowds on the idea of a rebuilding process, but these GMs need to give their fans a little credit.

    There's a reason nobody is coming out to see the Pacers, or Nets. And it has little to do with Jamaal Tinsley's glock or Jason Kidd's happy hands: these fans know mediocrity. They know these have little chance of making a championship run, and have no easy chance at rebuilding with youngsters. And they don't want to witness the unraveling of two teams winning 45 percent of their games.

    But Bird and Thorn don't want to hear it. Not when there's a Jamaal Magliore to sign. Mags in '08, straight to the top!

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba...?urn=nba,62992
    This is the darkest timeline.

  2. #2
    J.O. To The T.O. Oneal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    Yahoo is slow when it comes to news. they report todays news, whne they probably got the info last week, just to make it look current
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

  3. #3
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,261
    Mood

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    I still like the trade if we can involve a third team to take on Carter and give us an expiring big man. Other way I like it is we can piggyback another trade with Carter and one of our young guys to get a nice player to fit our weaknesses.

  4. #4
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,982

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    I've never liked VC, he's a marvel athletically which is on the fast decline. He applied himself about a season and half as far as I can tell. He's indifferent defensively and without a conscious offensively. I'd rather watch JO go of the books in 3 years to be honest.

  5. #5
    Member mb221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    GWood, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    295

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    Apparently Jamaal Tinsley has been caught brandishing a Glock?

  6. #6
    Member OnlyPacersLeft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    94
    Posts
    3,098

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    this is weak...we have talent why the hell we want injury prone vince?
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

  7. #7
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is weak...we have talent
    Yeah, enough to just stay mediocre.... cool.... . The author is right. This is not the sort of trade we should be pursuing.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  8. #8
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    22,899

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is weak...we have talent why the hell we want injury prone vince?
    Not that it's going to happen now.....but I could have seen a JONeal for VC deal as an attempt at salvaging the relatively low trade value that they have in JONeal and exchanging it for VC...who has way more trade value.

    It's like when Walsh traded Artest to the Kings for Peja. Artest had little to no trade value for us and Peja ( no matter what any of our opinion of him was ) had more. Once they had a player with more trade value....that gave us some more wiggle room for future trade negotiations.

    On top of that....trading for VC would have been a futile PR attempt at trying to draw in more Pacer fans to see the Vince Carter show.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  9. #9
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,982

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    Does anyone know how many years VC has left, I know he just resigned. Is it a push as far as number of years? Also, isn't Marcus Williams thought to be a young Tinsley..... um........no thanks, if so.

  10. #10
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    Cable, I agree with your point but I think the Peja thing is a bad example. Post deadline an expiring contract is worthless. It was a miracle/shady that they got a TE out of the NOK deal. Maybe if no one had cap room and they wanted an S&T, but that wasn't the case with Peja. The Pacers came close to getting nothing out of it. Basically they got Troy for that TE (Jack/Dun, pick/Ike). And it took the EXTREMELY unique Harrington situation to make that happen in the second place.

    But with Vince they are getting NJ closer to having money off the books while giving themselves some ability to deal in the future. It makes more sense for Indy I think because to me Vince is more of a "missing piece" that a contender might want, even if it isn't till next years deadline.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-23-2008 at 02:07 PM.

  11. #11
    Inspiration Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,574

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone know how many years VC has left, I know he just resigned. Is it a push as far as number of years? Also, isn't Marcus Williams thought to be a young Tinsley..... um........no thanks, if so.
    Carter has four more years on his deal after this one, which is two more years than JO.

  12. #12
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,982

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carter has four more years on his deal after this one, which is two more years than JO.

    Thanks Shade, so that is the main reason NJ should do it, it sounds like the Pacers approached NJ though from today NJ newspaper (see below) report talking about a Nocioni trade possiblity instead. If you trade for VC, think of a 35 yr old VC most likely not allowing you to sign Granger and S. Williams, along the way w/o going over the luxury tax. Yikes!?!?!?

    http://www.northjersey.com/sports/ne...lish_deal.html

  13. #13
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    22,899

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cable, I agree with your point but I think the Peja thing is a bad example. Post deadline an expiring contract is worthless. It was a miracle/shady that they got a TE out of the NOK deal. Maybe if no one had cap room and they wanted an S&T, but that wasn't the case with Peja. The Pacers came close to getting nothing out of it. Basically they got Troy for that TE (Jack/Dun, pick/Ike). And it took the EXTREMELY unique Harrington situation to make that happen in the second place.

    But with Vince they are getting NJ closer to having money off the books while giving themselves some ability to deal in the future. It makes more sense for Indy I think because to me Vince is more of a "missing piece" that a contender might want, even if it isn't till next years deadline.
    That's fine.....no matter what happened with the string of trades that led us to our current situation .....the main point was that TPTB made "lemonade out of lemons" when it came to salvaging what little trade value that Artest had for us at the time.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  14. #14
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: Nets and Pacers, going nowhere, talking to each other (Yahoo Sports)

    With JO's recent injury revelations, there's no way this trade will happen, but...

    According to Hoopshype, the last year of Carter's contract is a team option. If that's true, his contract is only one year longer than JO's, not to mention that he's a few million dollars cheaper.

    In general, I think that we you have a chance to grab a player of Carter's talent on the cheap, you do it. Every so often some star player gets moved relatively cheaply because they're a cancer or a bad human being or what not. I'm a big-time character guy, but there are some gambles worth taking. Look at Rasheed Wallace, Baron Davis, and Allen Iverson. All of these guys were traded for far less than their value because they'd warn out their welcome. None of them has caused problems in their new city, and they're all helping their teams win. Vince Carter (while I don't love him at all) has the potential to be the exact kind of player the Pacers need: a guy who can score no matter what the defense and his teammates are doing.

    With this trade we'd also get Marcus Williams and Jamaal Magloire. Magloire used to be a good player, but hasn't gotten off the bench lately. If he's 3/4 of what he used to be, he's a good fit for the 5 spot on this team. He's a good interior defender and rebounder and can score a bit. If he sucks now, then he's a $4 million expiring contract.

    Marcus Williams is worth taking a chance on. He's cheap and has potential. If he truly has character issues, then we don't sign him beyond his rookie deal.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

Similar Threads

  1. Pacers resign Sims and Nets wavie Eddie Gill
    By sportsmusicxboxpacer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •